• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Aslan

Trusted Member
Killer left chilling note before killing firefighters in NY

WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) — An ex-con killed two firefighters with the same caliber and make military-style rifle used in the Connecticut school massacre after typing a note pledging to burn down his neighborhood and “do what I like doing best, killing people,” police said Tuesday as another body, believed to be the gunman’s missing sister, was found.

William Spengler, 62, who served 17 years in prison for manslaughter in the 1980 hammer slaying of his grandmother, set his house afire before dawn Christmas Eve before taking a revolver, a shotgun and a semiautomatic rifle to a sniper position outside,Police Chief Gerald Pickering said.

The death toll rose to three as police revealed that a body believed to be the killer’s 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler, was found in his fire-ravaged home.......

IDIOT

As a wife of a Fire Fighter/EMT, this is the shit my nightmares are made of.

I can also tell you that they are shot it (more often than you would believe), physically attacked & have their station robbed just about every time they leave it for a fire. Yet these men still go out night after night to risk their own lives to save & help people. All without a gun or badge to protect them.

(Some asshole all fucked up on "wet" attacked him awhile back. And this was AFTER the dude beat up an old man, raped a kid AND was shot a few times. My Husband was TRYING to save his life, but had to fight him off cause he was trying to fucking BITE him. The piece of turd died in the ER. Hell, just last week he had to duct tape a guy to the stretcher just to treat him & get him to the ER)

Spent all day Monday hugging my Husband. We were lucky enough to have him home for once on a holiday. It was hard saying goodbye to him as he went back to work today.

My heart is just crushed for these families. Both the ones at home & at the station. I tease my Hubby that the Fire Department is really a cult, but when you work & live together & lives depended on each other, you really do become a family.

The most heartbreaking part to me is the fact every last one of the Fire Fighter that where on scene wouldn't think twice about going right back out there, in harms away, again.

Real Life Superheros.

I am so glad your husband is okay Manda (and he has you to make sure of that!)

Here's a firefighter story that may make you smile. One of my best friends is from Boston and the sweetest guy on the planet who happened to find himself relocated to the South. He acclimated but never went after his dad's occupation of Police Officer, he thought he may be a bit too harsh on drunken 'rednecks'.
So he became a fireman. In the South.
So one night we were at the same party. He was a klutz and almost ruined his rented tux. Marinara is a helluva stain
He went to the car and swapped his tux top out for a Red Sox Jersey. Anyone who noticed just laughed.
2 hours into the party he got an emergency call about a nearby fire, suspected arson (not the first time)
He gets to the scene and according to him he actually saw the guy who set the fire running away. My friend caught up with him (got into lots of trouble for that) and tackled him. Guy actually said "You like the Red Sox? No wonder you're a loser"
Non-Sox fan didn't wake up for 36 hours.

I suppose the lesson here is that even if the Sox can't pinch, their fans can certainly punch

(that was soo bad, I'm sorry)

Story is true, though.

Last edited:
WTAE.com said:
Woman arrested in connection with NY firefighter ambush
Dawn Nguyen faces charges of filing a falsified business record
UPDATED 4:10 PM EST Dec 28, 2012

Police on Friday arrested a 24-year-old woman in connection with the gunman who ambushed and killed two firefighters as they battled a blaze in upstate New York, police said.

Dawn Nguyen of Rochester, New York, faces charges of filing a falsified business record, which is thought to be linked to the purchase of the AR-15 rifle and 12-gauge shotgun that the gunman had with him during the attack. The nature of her alleged relationship to the shooter -- identified by authorities as William Spengler, 62 -- is unclear.

Nguyen was "turned her over to ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives) agents to be processed at the federal level, and arraigned by a federal magistrate this afternoon," said state police Investigator James Newell.

[...]
http://www.wtae.com/news/national/W...3962573813&tmi=pit_natlbreak_1_02440112282012

William Spengler / Dawn Nguyen
A 24-year-old woman was arrested Friday in connection with two of the firearms used in the Christmas Eve shooting of four volunteer firefighters east of Rochester.

Around 1:40 p.m., New York State Police, Webster Police and the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives descended on the home where Dawn Nguyen and her mother, Dawn Welsher, were staying. Nguyen was taken out of the home in handcuffs.
[...]

U.S. Attorney William Hochul Jr. said at a 4 p.m. ET press conference that Nguyen bought the guns on June 6, 2010, from a Gander Mountain store in Henrietta, south of Rochester. He said William Spengler Jr., a former neighbor in Webster who ignited an inferno and ambushed first responders before dawn Monday, picked out the guns and Nguyen bought them.

As as a convicted felon, Spengler was banned from owning guns. He served 17 years in state prison for killing his grandmother with a hammer in 1980. Nguyen lived next door to Spengler for about five years, in the house where he killed his grandmother.

"It is sometimes referred to acting as a 'straw purchaser' and that is exactly what today's complaint alleges," Hochul said.

Hochul indicated that in his rambling suicide note, Spengler revealed how he got the guns.

Police interviewed Nguyen late on Christmas Eve and she told officers she had bought the guns for personal protection and that they were stolen from her vehicle, but she never reported them stolen.

On Christmas, Nguyen texted an off-duty Monroe County Sheriff's deputy and referenced the killings, the Associated Press says. Later, police said, she called the deputy and admitted she bought the guns for Spengler.
[...]

In the doorway of a home in Greece, Welsher said her lawyer advised her not to speak to the media. "All I can say is, I'm being set up," she said.

In a voice message recorded earlier Friday, Welsher told a Democrat and Chronicle reporter she wanted to talk.

"This is nuts," she said in the recording. "I never supplied this man with nothing. My daughter never supplied him with anything. He's setting us up."
[...]

Welsher and her son said they are former neighbors of Spengler. They lived one house east of Spengler's address, for about five years. The family moved to Seneca County last year, the son said.

Steven Nguyen claimed that at least one gun that belonged to his sister, Dawn Nguyen, was stolen from his sister's car several years ago. The gun was taken from the trunk as it was parked at the family's home, he said.

"I think there was only one gun," said Steven Nguyen, who added that he did not know if his sister reported the theft to law enforcement.

He said Spengler was "nice, but he was a little crazy."

"He always had holes in his jeans. He used to come over every day to talk to my mom," said Steven Nguyen, the youngest of Welsher's seven children.

"I think he had a crush on her,"
the son said.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/28/firefighter-slayings/1796797/

I have been away for awhile but this one has brought me running back. I still hold my NYS EMT card I spent 4 years in Rochester working EMS, on December 22, 2001 Chip (Lt. Michael Chipaerini) and I worked a fatal pedestrian struck together. At noon on Christmas Eve 2012 I got the text that he is gone leaving behind not just his greiving EMS brothers and sisters but a wife and 3 young children.
To the motherfucking piece of trash that bought that equally as disgusting piece of trash the guns How I want to go to the jail and rip that smirk off your nasty fucking face. Ten fucking years is all she facing for what she has done. May you burn in hell bitch.
To the ever so intelligent parole board that let a murder out, thank you so much for the pain of an entire community and ruining Christmas for 3 beautiful children. Douchebag murdered his grandmother with a hammer, by all means let him out clearly he's no fucking danger to anyone.
And to everyone who would like to kill themselves leave innocent people alone, off your damn self any damn way you choose but for fuck's sake leave the rest of us out of it.

Whoa...wow.
I agree. If you want to kill someone you should practice on yourself first, to get it right.
I am so sorry about your friend and the 911 dispatcher riding with him.

Yes, I am resurrecting an old thread as it approaches the one year anniversary of the death of my brothers in blue.

As seen in my comment above, I knew CHip from my years as an EMT for Monroe Ambulance, ROchester,New York.

Yesterday, Obama signed a bill that will allow the Webster FD to give the money they received in remembrance of Chip and Tomasz to their families and still maintain their tax-exempt status as a Volunteer department. I can't stand Obama but am very happy to announce that after almost a year the families will receive something.

As we all celebrate our families being together for the holidays please remember that Chip left behind an amazing son who joined his Dad on his last ride on a Webster truck and two beautiful little girls, and Tomasz lost his life before he truly had a chance to live his life, so full of promise.

God Bless my brothers in blue, God got two amazing angels when he called you home.

And, I'm bumping it again.

The little fucking cunt who bought him the guns has been found GUILTY! She faces up to 4 years in state prison and is still facing federal charges.

Burn in Hell bitch!

I got the verdict via text message from friends of mine still in Rochester.

We have a friend who got mixed up in the investigation. He knew Spengler from years back and Spengler still had his number in his address book so he got subpoenaed as a witness although he wasn't actually able to tell them anything much useful. He told us Spengler was out of his gourd even when he knew him years ago and how anyone could have been willing to purchase guns or ammo for him was beyond his understanding.

I grew up with a firefighter for a dad. I understand completely. I'm happy to hear Nguyen was convicted. What an awful story. Thanks for bringing this story back up. Take care.

I knew Chip well, he saved my job once on an accident scene, of all things it was a fatal pedestrian struck just a couple of days before Christmas of 2001. Tomasz was too young for me to have known.

During cuntbag's trial they judge would only allow 4 uniformed firefighters in the courtroom at a time, to not sway the jury. Fuck that, they should have all been able to be there, let everyone see the impact of what was lost. These were honorable men who volunteered to risk their lives and were slaughtered by a deranged killer that she bought the fucking guns for. Of course, he bottom-feeder of a lawyer has been all over the news bitching and belly aching how there was so much pre-trial publicity that she didn't receive a fair trial. Boo-fucking-whoo, Chip and Tomasz didn't get the opportunity to face a jury of their peers, or have someone plead their case, they were sniped because some assclown hated how his life ended up.

I am very close to this case and have a lot of rage and hate because of it, Chip was an amazing and honorable man, Tomasz was so young with so many dreams and ambitions. I personally think she should be facing some sort of murder charges because were it not for her supplying guns and ammo to a convicted murderer that they would still be alive today. But, as you can tell I just want blood in this case.

The woman convicted of lying on the paperwork to buy the guns used to kill first responders during the West Webster tragedy was sentenced Monday.

Dawn Nguyen will spend the next 1 1/3 to four years in prison, the maximum she was facing.

Nguyen was convicted in April of falsifying business records. Prosecutors say she bought guns on behalf of convicted killer William Spengler. Police say Spengler used those guns to shoot at firefighters responding to a fire call on Lake Road in December 2012.

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3440983.shtml?cat=565

A crying shame that's the max she could get... she has the blood of those men on her hands just as surely as he does.

@Krystal

Thanks @Benighted , I've been waiting for the update. I can't say that I'm happy, not even a little bit. I still think she should have faced murder charges. The only saving grace to that pathetic sentence is that she is still facing federal charges that I believe can get her up to 10 years.

In my rage at her pathetic sentence I forgot to again remember Chip and Tomasz, the fallen firefighters. Rest in Peace brothers and pass on our prayers to the man upstairs that the Feds slap her ass with the max too.

A day after she was sentenced to prison on her state conviction, the lawyer for Dawn Nguyen says they are talking about a possible plea deal on her federal charge.
Her plea in federal court could happen when she’s scheduled to be in court Friday.

On top of this, Nguyen is getting sued by the families of the firefighters. They are also suing Gander Mountain where the guns were purchased. Those guns used to kill firefighters Mike Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka. Firefighters Ted Scardino and Joseph Hofstetter were wounded.

Four years ago, Dawn Nguyen walked into the Gander Mountain store in Henrietta with William Spengler, signed paperwork to buy two guns and then police say she handed the guns to Spengler. The lawsuit says Gander Mountain knew or should have known what they were up to.

Michael Schissel, plaintiff's attorney, said, “As alleged in the complaint, the details in this case scream straw sale.”

A straw sale is when a person buys guns for someone who isn’t allowed to have them. That’s what Dawn Nguyen did for William Spengler, who was already a convicted felon for killing his grandmother. But how was the store and the clerk supposed to know that? The lawyers say the red flags were everywhere.

Schissel, plaintiff's attorney, said, “Spengler picked out the guns, but Nguyen filled out the federal forms. They purchased multiple weapons in a single sale and they paid cash. It was shouting illegal sale and proper training would have stopped that sale.”

http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3443209.shtml?cat=565

I thought there was a waiting period for buying guns. Like you can't just get them right away from a gun shop. Guess I was wrong.

I thought there was a waiting period for buying guns. Like you can't just get them right away from a gun shop. Guess I was wrong.
Not in a lot of states, and then the waiting period usually only applies to hand guns.
The background checks are so fast now, I only waited about 30 minutes.

Not in a lot of states, and then the waiting period usually only applies to hand guns.
The background checks are so fast now, I only waited about 30 minutes.
With that being said, I'm not one to cast blame on others but if two people cant buy alcohol without both showing ID then why not apply the same rule of thumb to gun sales? It had to be obvious that she wasn't interested in those guns outside of purchasing them for Spangler.

What I still don't get is WHY she did it. Spengler was batshit crazy. He talked a lot about the murder of his grandmother, how much he hated police and firefighters and town officials and wanted to kill them, he thought everyone was out to get him, he would walk around the neighborhood ranting and threatening people, he even hollowed out walls in his house to hide weapons. Why would anyone buy guns for someone who was openly expressing a desire to murder people. Even if it's true Nguyen's mother was the one Spengler asked to buy the guns and she sent her daughter instead, why would you hang your kid out to dry like that? And why did Nguyen agree?

With that being said, I'm not one to cast blame on others but if two people cant buy alcohol without both showing ID then why not apply the same rule of thumb to gun sales? It had to be obvious that she wasn't interested in those guns outside of purchasing them for Spangler.
it is required. She and the gun seller both broke the law. That is why she is under arrest and they are under investigation. I don't know about that state but when we bought our gun both of us were there at the time and it was obvious that both of us would be using the weapon, so they background checked both of us and put both names on the registration. In MO the paperwork states that the weapon is for your own personal use and not purchased for use of anyone else, you understand that the state must be notified of the sale of the weapon, etc, etc.

I live right about where this happened. I have been out and about with people who were buying guns and hunting equipment, licenses to hunt big game, small game, fishing etc. There's a lot of paperwork up here but as long as you wander off and look disinterested while your compadre is filling out the paperwork, the sellers don't question you.

Feds won't seek to dismiss Dawn Nguyen indictment
Federal prosecutors will not ask for dismissal of the indictment against Dawn Nguyen, the Greece woman who bought the guns used in the 2012 fatal shootings of two volunteer firefighters.

Nguyen has been convicted in state Supreme Court for lying on a federal firearms form when she bought a semiautomatic rifle and shotgun in 2010 at Gander Mountain. She said she was buying the guns for herself, when she actually purchased the weapons for William Spengler Jr., a convicted felon and neighbor of Nguyen.
[...]
Nguyen also faces three criminal charges in federal court arising from the gun purchase. Her attorney, John Parrinello, recently asked federal prosecutors to review an internal Department of Justice policy and reconsider whether it should continue to pursue the case against Nguyen.

That policy helps federal prosecutors decide whether to go forward with a case if there has been a state prosecution.

The state conviction resolved any interest that federal prosecutors have in the case, Parrinello maintained, citing the Justice Department policy.

"In Dawn Nguyen's case, continuing with the federal prosecution would not advance any compelling interest of federal law enforcement," Parinnello wrote in a legal filing.

In a response filed Friday, Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Noto said prosecutors won't ask for dismissal of the indictment. Citing a past legal ruling, she noted that the Department of Justice policy is for internal use and "is merely an internal guideline for exercise of prosecutorial discretion, not subject to judicial review."

Parrinello said after a recent court hearing that Nguyen will likely plead guilty to the federal charges if prosecutors refused to seek dismissal of the indictment.
[...]
http://www.democratandchronicle.com.../feds-seek-dismiss-nguyen-indictment/9784391/

Her plea bargain on the federal charges went through. If you had any shred of faith left in the justice system you won't now. She is facing 18 months to 2 years on the federal charges, if they run them back to back (which they won't) she gets a max of 4 years. Add that to her max of 4 for the State charges and she is out in 8, if they max her on everything.

For the lives of two heroes this worthless cunt gets 8 years. Just fucking fabulous.

I just got the text message that her Federal sentence is 8 years. I have no link on this, I got it via text message from Rochester.

I'm glad she's going to serve time but the amount it just sickening to me. I am also glad for her families that this is finally over.

RIP Chip and Tomasz.

This is here in my hometown. Grew up in Webster, NY and still live there now. This was horrible. We just had a police officer that worked with my husband shot and killed in the city of Rochester. I am still not sure what to think regarding this girl. Part of me feels like maybe she didn't think it was a big deal to buy him guns and she was young and needed money. The other part of me feels for the wife and kids of Chip... if that was my husband would I want her in jail forever? I just don't know how to feel

This is here in my hometown. Grew up in Webster, NY and still live there now. This was horrible. We just had a police officer that worked with my husband shot and killed in the city of Rochester. I am still not sure what to think regarding this girl. Part of me feels like maybe she didn't think it was a big deal to buy him guns and she was young and needed money. The other part of me feels for the wife and kids of Chip... if that was my husband would I want her in jail forever? I just don't know how to feel
I understand you sentitments, I do. If you've read the whole thread, you'll have seen that I worked with Chip. She knew he was a felon, in fact she knew he was a murderer and still bought the guns for him. In fact he had went to her mother first who had told him no. Then in th e aftermath when she was questioned she lied and said the guns were stolen from her car. She has not once shown any remorse.

She is a big part of hte reason Chip and Tomasz died that died, had she said no like her mother then they could quite possibly still be alive. I firmly believe that she deserves to serve life in prison.

Back