• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I'm so glad you suggested this! I'd not have thought to make it plain(ish) and then change it up in smaller batches.

I always end up cooking a giant pot of something or other, and then getting totally sick of it before it's gone. Good to know you can revive this and switch it up over a few days. :)

Also good to know they freeze well so you can portion them out. I always eyeball the giant ones at Sam's Club but I've only bought one a time or two, like for holiday company when there are people to eat a lot and hopefully take some home as well (see, I do have friends :D).
They slice into really nice boneless pork chops too.
If you want pork chops, 30 to 40 minutes after you yoss them in the freezer, pull one back out and slice it when its par frozen. My favorite way to have those pork chops is baked. I make my own coating like shake n bake.
I put a wire rack on a cookie sheet and bake them. Putting them on the rack, shortens the baking time so you have to be careful not to over do them. Putting them on a rack cooks the coating on both sides really nice, no sitting in melted fat.

I make giant pots of everything from stew, spaghetti sauce, bean soup etc.
Then I freeze the left overs in single serving size jars. (This works well for a single person or 2 people. Family of 5 might as well just cook each time.)
If you do this freeze method, make sure you buy jars with straight sides, the jars with "shoulders" break when frozen.
Its so nice to grab a jar of already made spaghetti sauce in the morning put it in the fridge. Come home from work and boil up fresh pasta, heat up the sauce, toast some french bread and a little salad. Its nothing like left overs.
In the long run, you will find that you aren't wasting food because you're not eating the same thing for lunch and dinner for 3 days.

Last edited:
I'm eating vicariously through yummy pictures :shifty:

I envy you eating tasty treats people :)
Thanksgiving/Christmas and every now and again... I eat like I'm going to the chair:hungry:

... But ... the rest of the time total discipline :meh: people think I'm crazy with my measuring cups and counting :shrug: YES!! I count cheezits :hilarious::hilarious: I'm a portion control freak :YOW:

Soooo... Needless to say .. Dinner at my house :D SUCKS .. I can offer you a fine selection of salad dressings and a various array of spices n condiments :) to put on your lettuce, spinach or green beans :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: and for desert we can each have a tea spoon of frozen yogurt :nana:

I'm eating vicariously through yummy pictures :shifty:

I envy you eating tasty treats people :)
Thanksgiving/Christmas and every now and again... I eat like I'm going to the chair:hungry:

... But ... the rest of the time total discipline :meh: people think I'm crazy with my measuring cups and counting :shrug: YES!! I count cheezits :hilarious::hilarious: I'm a portion control freak :YOW:

Soooo... Needless to say .. Dinner at my house :D SUCKS .. I can offer you a fine selection of salad dressings and a various array of spices n condiments :) to put on your lettuce, spinach or green beans :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: and for desert we can each have a tea spoon of frozen yogurt :nana:
You would really be disgusted if you saw my salads. I'm pretty sure a plate of brownies would have less calories.

World's Best Lasagna Recipe

INGREDIENTS
• 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
• 3/4 pound lean ground beef
• 1/2 cup minced onion
• 2 cloves garlic, crushed
• 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
• 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
• 2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 tablespoons white sugar
• 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
• 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
• 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
• 1 tablespoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
• 12 lasagna noodles
• 16 ounces ricotta cheese
• 1 egg
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
• 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

In a Large Pot, cook sausage, ground beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until well browned. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with sugar, basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, 1 tablespoon salt, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Bring another large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain noodles, and rinse with cold water. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with egg, remaining parsley, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

Preheat oven to 375F

To assemble, spread 1 1/2 cups of meat sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over meat sauce. Spread with one half of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with a third of mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups meat sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers, and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with foil: to prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray, or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.

Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake an additional 25 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving. After removing lasagna from oven, move to 400F and put in your garlic bread.

All you need to eat is your bread and a hefty square of lasagna and some Sweet Tea!

Tonight's was divine. My tummy is very full and happy, and we have enough for two more meals. 9/10

dscn1572mq1.jpg
Wow looks yummy! I will definitely try this one.

http://www.thugkitchen.com/recipes
@everjaded and everyone.
This is funny and packed with really good recipes.
:hilarious:
How the fuck is Nature’s Valley still putting crumbs in bags and selling them as breakfast bars? Shit is disrespectful and a dry sponge would taste better than those crumb catastrophes.NOT OUR BARS. Perfect for on-the-go snacking and packed with fiber, these sweet sons of bitches won’t ever let you down.
STRAWBERRY OAT BARS.
SHARE THIS SHIT
Makes about 9 depending on how you cut them

Oat Base:

3 cups rolled oats

1/3 cup almond butter

1/3 cup coconut oil

¼ cup brown sugar

1 ½ teaspoons baking soda

1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract

¼ teaspoon salt

Strawberry Filling:

2 cups chopped strawberries

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon sugar*

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon cornstarch

A handful of sliced almonds, optional

Warm up your oven to 350 degrees and grease an 8 x 8 baking dish, then line it with parchment paper.

First, mix together the strawberries, lemon juice, sugar, and vanilla extract in a small bowl and let it sit while you make the oat base. In your food processor, throw the oats, almond butter, oil, brown sugar, baking soda, vanilla extract, and salt. Pulse that shit for a few seconds until there aren’t any whole oats but that shit is still coarser than flour. Scoop out 2/3 of that mixture and press it in an even layer into your prepared pan, ya know, like you’re making fucking bars. Shits not that hard. Next, pour out the juice that was released by the strawberries, toss them with the cornstarch, and then GENTLY press them into the oat base evenly. Crumble the rest of the oat base on top, gently press that shit into the strawberries, sprinkle over the almonds and then throw that shit in the oven.

Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top and edges start looking kinda golden brown. Let them cool completely before cutting into bars. Store these in the fridge to help them keep their shape.

*If your berries are sweet and ripe enough you can just then leave this shit out altogether.

Last edited:
Refried Beans
For some reason I have been on a frijoles refritos kick lately.

The classic beans for refried beans are pinto and black.

Cull a pound of dried beans, picking out all the clumps of mud, broken beans, mud-encrusted beans, bug-eaten beans, and rotten beans. Put the good ones in a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker. Add oil and spices as preferred. (This last batch I used olive oil, dried minced onion, chili powder, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Add, reduce, or omit as you please, but the oil keeps the beans from frothing as badly while they cook.) Cover with water and pressure-cook for 30 minutes. Let the pressure cooker cool on its own.

I have used a food mill to mash the cooked beans, and that seems to work the best. I have also used a potato ricer to make a bean puree and a potato masher to mash the beans while they are in the skillet, and of these two I prefer the masher over the ricer.

Heat the skillet. Once hot, pour some oil in (I have been using corn oil because that's what I have) then spoon in either some bean puree or slightly drained beans and stir, using the potato masher or the back of the spoon to mash the beans, until the beans are mashed to your preference and the puree is done to your liking. If the beans get a little dry add the cooking liquid, stock, or water (in that order of preference) and stir in.

Once the beans are done spoon them out into a bowl, add a little more oil, and fry some more beans.

I put some shredded cheese on a 11- or 12-inch tortilla, spooned some refried beans onto the cheese, then rolled it up into a burrito and toasted the burrito on a cast-iron griddle. That was dinner tonight.

--Al

For some reason I have been on a frijoles refritos kick lately.

The classic beans for refried beans are pinto and black.

Cull a pound of dried beans, picking out all the clumps of mud, broken beans, mud-encrusted beans, bug-eaten beans, and rotten beans. Put the good ones in a 4-quart or larger pressure cooker. Add oil and spices as preferred. (This last batch I used olive oil, dried minced onion, chili powder, garlic powder, and crushed red pepper. Add, reduce, or omit as you please, but the oil keeps the beans from frothing as badly while they cook.) Cover with water and pressure-cook for 30 minutes. Let the pressure cooker cool on its own.

I have used a food mill to mash the cooked beans, and that seems to work the best. I have also used a potato ricer to make a bean puree and a potato masher to mash the beans while they are in the skillet, and of these two I prefer the masher over the ricer.

Heat the skillet. Once hot, pour some oil in (I have been using corn oil because that's what I have) then spoon in either some bean puree or slightly drained beans and stir, using the potato masher or the back of the spoon to mash the beans, until the beans are mashed to your preference and the puree is done to your liking. If the beans get a little dry add the cooking liquid, stock, or water (in that order of preference) and stir in.

Once the beans are done spoon them out into a bowl, add a little more oil, and fry some more beans.

I put some shredded cheese on a 11- or 12-inch tortilla, spooned some refried beans onto the cheese, then rolled it up into a burrito and toasted the burrito on a cast-iron griddle. That was dinner tonight.

--Al
Do you live any where near northern calif. ? I want to come to your house and learn how to use a pressure cooker.
I own 2 but am scared to use them.

(I really don't want to learn, that's an excuse to get in your house and eat one of those homemade burritos. I know how to make homemade flour tortillas. )

I thought I had put this in this thread, but search didn't find it. Here it is: breakfast burritos.

For each burrito, brown 1/4 pound of sausage. Drain any excess grease, break an egg per burrito over the sausage, and scramble. Meanwhile, grate and rinse one tennis-ball-size potato per burrito and brown in a second skillet.

Warm a 12" flour tortilla, spoon egg and sausage onto it, add potatoes, top with salsa and shredded cheese, fold and roll, and eat.

The potatoes can be diced instead of shredded as well. For a variation, saute chopped mushrooms, chopped onion, or red and green bell peppers in the skillet before adding the potatoes.

--Al

I thought I had put this in this thread, but search didn't find it. Here it is: breakfast burritos.

For each burrito, brown 1/4 pound of sausage. Drain any excess grease, break an egg per burrito over the sausage, and scramble. Meanwhile, grate and rinse one tennis-ball-size potato per burrito and brown in a second skillet.

Warm a 12" flour tortilla, spoon egg and sausage onto it, add potatoes, top with salsa and shredded cheese, fold and roll, and eat.

The potatoes can be diced instead of shredded as well. For a variation, saute chopped mushrooms, chopped onion, or red and green bell peppers in the skillet before adding the potatoes.

--Al
Also, top with red chile sauce. Nice quality enchilada sauce from a can is fine. Or use your own recipe.

I'm cooking 16 bean soup, bacon cornbread and whatever else I have in the freezer. I put Savoie hot sausage in it and let it simmer all day.. Damn fine soup! It MUST be made in a cast iron "gumbo" pot. Mine can easily hold 3 gallons and is velvety black. Never ever wash a gumbo pot; you use a paper bag and wipe that puppy down.

Remembering the fear of painting the entire kitchen in the contents of an exploded pressure cooker, I had avoided them for years. :nailbiting:However, the allure of 8-minute pork chops was too much for me, so I bought one of them new-fangled electric pressure cookers which promising to have at least 10 safeguards. :D

So, I get my ingredients and get the recipe ready but have forgotten to read the cooker instructions. Hah, aren't those usually a waste of time anyway? Yeah, no. It took two hours to cook 8-minute pork chops, because 1) we didn't read the stupid book and 2) it still wasn't clear how to start the pressure cooking. As you can probably see from the photo, this appliance is multi-functional which made what at first glance appeared to be simple straightforward instructions become complicated. Finally, though, we got the damned thing cooking and the results were really good. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the sauce that was supposed to go with the pork chops since the carton of beef broth I picked up at the store was already opened. :fish:

My son is starting some heavy overtime and had to be at work at 3am this morning, so I had visions of having a great dinner on the table by 5:30 or 6. As it turned out he barely had time to eat before he had to go to bed. :( Now that, between the three of us, we've figured out how the cooker works that should be doable from here on out. :)
51NyTEpnorL._AC_UL246_SR190,246_.jpg

These two are traditional dutch recipes. They don't require exact measurements and you can add extras like vegetable bullion, etc. It's easy to adjust if you want more of one flavor than another, just add less of one or more of another. Both are served with a smoked flavor pork sausage here but would be tasty with other variations as well.

Hutspot

hutspot_maken_4-500x300.jpg

Equal parts potato and carrots - peeled & chopped
1/2 the above amount in onions - peeled & chopped

Throw in pot together and boil till soft enough to mash. Drain water. Mash and serve with sausage.

Stamppot

stamppot_rookworst.jpg

Equal parts of kale and potatoes - peeled & chopped

Throw together in pot and boil. Drain water and Mash. Serve with sausage.

There's also Zuurkool Stamppot. I haven't tried this because I don't like sauerkraut(zuurkool). I'll leave the recipe in case anyone is daring enough.

5a9efcd4eb5bd31ac1beaa1a1cc91dc6.jpg

• 1½ kg potatoes
  • 2 apples (optionally you can use grapes)
  • 125 g smoked bacon (small chunks not strips)
  • 1 tbsp mustard
  • 500 g mild sauerkraut
  • 50 g raisins
  • sausage
Peel and cut the potatoes into equal pieces. Boil the potatoes until tender.

Cut the unpeeled apples into quarters, remove the cores and cut into pieces.

Fry bacon in skillet over low heat. Add mustard and stir. Add the sauerkraut, apple, raisins and pepper to taste into the bacon and mustard mix. Mix and put the lid on the pan and cook for 15 minutes.

Heat the smoked sausages according to package directions. Cut the sausage into slices.

Drain the potatoes and mash coarsely with potato masher. Add the sauerkraut and the sausage and stir gently.

@Sudonim. Thanks! I like the zuurkol version. I love sauerkraut. The real fermented kind, not pickled.

I make something like this, also with potato and parsnip mash. I add finely minced leeks at the end or sauteed minced onion and stirred into the mash. Potato and rutabaga is good too.
In my area, pumpkins, winter squash and gourds are big for Halloween. They are sold to tourists for outrageous prices. The day after Halloween, they are all livestock feed. Then someone gives me pallets of leftovers. I glean the best for myself and feed the rest to the animals.
So I'm making lots of pumpkin and winter squash goodies. There is nothing better this time of year than a piping hot pile of root veggies and squash.. With lashings of butter of course.
Do you have any good barley recipes?

Last edited:
@Sudonim. Thanks! I like the zuurkol version. I love sauerkraut. The real fermented kind, not pickled.
I haven't tried dutch sauerkraut(fermented) yet even though my husband swears it tastes better than the pickled version I was forced to consume as a child.

Do you have any good barley recipes?
I think the only really good barley recipe I have is for a barley veggie soup that my grandpa used to make. If you want it, I'll dig it out :)

Remembering the fear of painting the entire kitchen in the contents of an exploded pressure cooker, I had avoided them for years. :nailbiting:However, the allure of 8-minute pork chops was too much for me, so I bought one of them new-fangled electric pressure cookers which promising to have at least 10 safeguards. :D

So, I get my ingredients and get the recipe ready but have forgotten to read the cooker instructions. Hah, aren't those usually a waste of time anyway? Yeah, no. It took two hours to cook 8-minute pork chops, because 1) we didn't read the stupid book and 2) it still wasn't clear how to start the pressure cooking. As you can probably see from the photo, this appliance is multi-functional which made what at first glance appeared to be simple straightforward instructions become complicated. Finally, though, we got the damned thing cooking and the results were really good. Unfortunately, I couldn't make the sauce that was supposed to go with the pork chops since the carton of beef broth I picked up at the store was already opened. :fish:

My son is starting some heavy overtime and had to be at work at 3am this morning, so I had visions of having a great dinner on the table by 5:30 or 6. As it turned out he barely had time to eat before he had to go to bed. :( Now that, between the three of us, we've figured out how the cooker works that should be doable from here on out. :)
51NyTEpnorL._AC_UL246_SR190,246_.jpg
Was the beef broth in a carton?
If yes, the plastic cap punches it open when you twist it off.

(I AM NOT LAUGHING AT YOU, IM LAUGHING WITH YOU.)
:hilarious:
First time I started buying those, I opened all 4 from the pantry. one after the other :jawdrop: what the fuck... this one is opened already. next one, same thing and so forth. then I looked at the inside of the cap. there is a sharp little plastic thing that cuts the foil seal.

I haven't tried dutch sauerkraut(fermented) yet even though my husband swears it tastes better than the pickled version I was forced to consume as a child.

I think the only really good barley recipe I have is for a barley veggie soup that my grandpa used to make. If you want it, I'll dig it out :)
Don't worry, I was thinking you might recommend some classic Dutch dish on the internet. Pls don't do extra work.

@Sudonim can you put those in real measurements next time?

/me grumbles as he pulls out the metric utensils
Fuck no! If I have to google, so do you! My recipes are in cups etc. This one is from the webs, I just translated the ingredients. Be happy I swapped the "tbsp", you never would have figured out what "el" meant :hilarious:

Don't worry, I was thinking you might recommend some classic Dutch dish on the internet. Pls don't do extra work.
Personally, I only know of one dish that the dutch eat with barley. Karnemelkse pap met gort, it's a buttermilk barley porridge or grit. I can find an online recipe for that!

100 gr pearl barely

water

1 L buttermilk

1 knife point salt (would convert to a pinch of salt for us)

1 - 2 tbsp flour

Wash the barley, soak them a few hours to half a day in plenty of water.

Pour off the soaking water.

Put the buttermilk, salt and the soaked barley in a pot and bring to a boil, turn heat to low and let the porridge cook for half an hour.

Stir occasionally.

If you find the porridge runny, add one or two spoonfuls of flour.

It's eaten with a bit of syrup poured on top. For taste reference the syrup here is a golden molasses type of syrup.

Chili. If you're one of those people who says it's not chili if you put beans in it, then call it something else. IDGAF.

Pound of ground beef
1 sweet onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
Garlic, minced
1 can of petite diced tomatoes
2 cans of bush's chili beans
1 packet of chili seasoning
Extra chili powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper to taste

Brown the beef, stir in onion, garlic, and bell pepper, cover and simmer on medium-ish, stirring occasionally, until veggies are tender. Add everything else, stir in maybe half a can of water, simmer for 5-10 minutes or longer, doesn't matter.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese and Fritos.

Chicken Lombardy --- Easiest kind of classy chicken ever.

Chicken Breasts --- smash them

Flour + salt + pepper --- Put in a zip lock with a piece of flat chicken and shake it up.

Butter --- fry chicken in it

(move chicken from fry pan to casserole dish or other suitable pan for the oven)

Butter --- add a bit more to the frying pan

Mushrooms --- sliced add to frying pan with the butter and saute.

Wine --- a splash or two --- add to the mushrooms and butter and saute some more.

(smother mushrooms on top of the chicken in the casserole dish.)

Mozzarella Cheese (grated) --- smother the chicken and mushrooms in it.

Green Onions ... Garnish ... OPTIONAL!

Bake --- 450 degrees for 15 or 20 minutes until Golden brown and bubbly.

ENJOY

images

Last edited:
@lithiumgirl Gosh, I'm just eating sauerkraut out of a jar. Good stuff too, no vinegar, just fermented cabbage in a jar.
@Gidget . I love beans in chili. It's about the beans and veggies to me.:) Then ladle it very hot over a bed of lettuce, chopped onions, cilantro, frito chips.

any thoughts on the best way to cook penguin? i was thinking tuna steak style .... or rotisserie
I don't know ... but shark steak is fucking amazing ... like a chicken breast (kind of) and lemony.
Mine was poached. And I ate it ...even though I had hesitations ...but after the first bite!

@Muriel Schwenck .... <3 Sauerkraut is awesome. I eat it out of the jar too sometimes.

I don't know ... but shark steak is fucking amazing ... like a chicken breast (kind of) and lemony.
Mine was poached. And I ate it ...even though I had hesitations ...but after the first bite!

@Muriel Schwenck .... <3 Sauerkraut is awesome. I eat it out of the jar too sometimes.
I grew up eating shark 3 to 4 Times a week. At the time it was super cheap and we were a family of 7
We used to buy it at a fish market in southern Calif. When we moved to northern Calif. We would get 150 pounds packed it in dry ice to make the 8 hour drive.
I haven't had it in 30 years.
Not sure why I told this story.
Also, I don't think it's inexpensive any more.

Chicken Lombardy --- Easiest kind of classy chicken ever.

I was totally on board... up until the mushrooms. It still looks absolutely lovely. :)

I'm making a turkey tonight, just to get some space freed up in my freezer. My employer gave everyone free turkeys at Thanksgiving. Between me, the bf, and our temporary roommate, we got THREE.

And no one particularly loves turkey besides me. :rolleyes: I figured I'd make one, get it out of the way, and get some pies, soups, and whatnot out of it.

Back