• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

SoUncool

With my all by myself...
What happened? Why is there such mystery around how this kid died?

2zp6v0i.jpg

Background Story:
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17364043/detail.html

Mysterious Incident Leaves Cabarrus County Boy Dead, Mother Critical
September 1, 2008

CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. -- Investigators would not speculate as to what killed a 5-year-old boy and sent his brother and mother to the hospital Monday in Cabarrus County.

Deputies spent most of the day and night on Lower Stone Church Road north of Mount Pleasant, N.C. Investigators said the victims got hurt inside their home.

Deputies said there are no signs of foul play, but that they don't want to rule anything out.

Chief Deputy Paul Hunt said, "You don't want to call it a homicide or a suicide or accidental death or anything. You want to make sure you get all your “Isâ€￾ dotted and “Tsâ€￾ crossed before we actually come out with what's happened here."

Related story - day after the boy's death: http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17371918/detail.html

Name Of Boy Killed, Mother Injured In Cabarrus County Released
Tuesday, September 2, 2008

CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. -- Detectives have released the identity of a young child found dead in a mysterious case out of Cabarrus County on Monday.

They said it was Phillip Alexander Lee who was found in his home on Lower Stone Church Road.

Right now, investigators said they have no idea how he died, but they're hoping that once his mother, Robin Lee, recovers, she'll be able to shed light on why her son died.

The boy’s teenaged brother called 911.

Today's Story:http://www.wsoctv.com/news/17847580/detail.html

Cabarrus County Mother Faces Child Abuse Charges
Thursday, October 30, 2008

CABARRUS COUNTY, N.C. -- A Cabarrus County woman whose 5-year-old son mysteriously died on Labor Day is now in jail on child abuse charges.

Officers in Kansas arrested Robin Lee last week.

Cabarrus County investigators said they won’t talk about the case until Lee is extradited back to North Carolina. They would not say whether the charges relate to her son’s death.

Lee’s teenage son found his little brother, Phillip Alexander Lee, dead in their home on Lower Stone Church Road. He also found his mother unconscious.

The teenager and his mother were both hospitalized.

Investigators have not released the cause of their injuries or the 5-year-old’s death.

current local rumor is, attempted murder/suicide, methadone poisoning.

I was thinking attempted murder/suicide too...so terribly tragic. I would like to know for certain what ended this little boys life.

Rest in peace little Phillip Alexander.

She is charged with two felony counts of child abuse causing serious injury and two counts of providing a controlled substance to a minor.

On Sept. 1, investigators found Phillip Alexander Lee’s body inside the family home in Rockwell. Investigators rushed to the kindergartner’s side soon after his older brother called 911.

"I just woke up and came into my mom's room and she's making a weird noise,” said the 13-year-old to the 911 operator. “I can't wake her up. And my brother is dead."

"Your brother is dead?" asked the operator.

"Yeah, he has no pulse," responded the 13-year-old with a raspy voice. “I just got sick recently and I’m having really -- I’m having trouble standing up and this is my voice right now.”

Phillip was pronounced dead at the scene. His mother and the 13-year-old were treated at a hospital and later released.

Phillip's autopsy ruled out carbon monoxide poising. Investigators have not said how the 5-year-old died but when they searched the family home they found 106 assorted medication containers.
http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-103008-mw-robin_lee.16497702c.html

wow thats really sad. thank god she was not smart enough to figure out the lethal dose for the 13 year old. i mean, i am assuming he got dosed too. or maybe he didnt eat or drink all the poison or maybe the vomiting saved him.

its hard to believe that this is real, you know? as with most of the stories here i suppose.

Still somewhat vague, but a little more info.....

2mmwi9x.jpg

A woman whose 13-year-old son called 911 in September to report his brother's death is being charged in the child's death.

Robin Dale Lee, 45, was extradited Sunday from Kansas City, Kan., to Concord to face multiple charges, including second-degree murder, in connection with the death of son Phillip Alexander Lee, 5, the Cabarrus County Sheriff's Office said in a press release.

When medical personnel arrived at the Lower Stone Church Road home, they found Robin Lee having trouble breathing.

Phillip Lee's body was found in his bed, the Sheriff's Office said.

Lee and her older son, Alexander, were taken to Carolinas Medical Center-NorthEast, and until Sunday, the Sheriff's Office had not made any more announcements about the case.

In their press release, sheriff's officials did not explain how Lee got to Kansas or why she went. The release also does not address the status of Alexander Martinez, Lee's 13-year-old son.

The release says the criminal investigation continues, and Sheriff Brad Riley "will be available for further comment at a later time during the upcoming week."

Lee is charged with second-degree murder, one count each of felony child abuse inflicting severe bodily injury and felony child abuse inflicting serious injury and two counts of sale or delivery of a controlled substance to a minor less than 13 years of age.

Sunday's press release said the crimes occurred on Aug. 31 and Sept. 1. Robin Lee is the biological mother to both children, the statement says.

Cabarrus County sheriff's deputies returned Lee to Concord, and she appeared before Cabarrus County Magistrate V.J. Coble, who set her bond at $750,000.
http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/110308-Robin-Lee-murder-charge-child-death-Phillip-Lee

Wow Please keep us updated on this one SoJaded. I probably have 106 bottles of meds in my house too. That's not illegal. Why all the secrecy in this one? Spill it cops, did she poison them?

A Cabarrus woman charged in the death of her son gave the child methadone, according to search warrants filed in Cabarrus County.

Robin Dale Lee, 45, was extradited from Kansas to Cabarrus County a week ago and charged with the murder of Phillip Alexander Lee, 5.

According to the Independent Tribune of Concord, the Mecklenburg County Medical Examiner's autopsy report revealed the young boy also had a toxic level of the pain reliever hydrocodone.

Robin Lee, faces multiple charges, including second-degree murder, one count each of felony child abuse inflicting severe bodily injury and felony child abuse inflicting serious injury and two counts of sale or delivery of a controlled substance to a minor less than 13 years of age.
http://www.salisburypost.com/Area/111308-Robin-Lee-mother-gave-son-Phillip-Lee-drug-he-died

Are all of these charges in relation to the 5 year old? Has it been established whether or not she drugged the older child too -- and if so, will they charge her with attempted murder for him?

I really hate "mothers" who choose this way instead of giving their children to people who will love and care for them and just taking their own lives.

She is an all around failure... except at murder.

Too bad you lived, bitch. Suffer -- please, please --- SUFFER!!!

BITCH!!!! If YOU want to commit suicide....have at 'er! You have NO right to take others with you.....
Hey, If I ever decide to off myself, ONE OF YOU GETS MY SON.....cause I'm NOT taking him with me....and the sperm donor...well....he tried to kill his girlfriend...and...
But, My son IS housebroken, clean, polite, loves little kids and animals...
Oh yeah, my oldest daughter will have to cal YOU for advice and venting.....but you get a GREAT grandkid as part of the bundle....
Come to think of it, You CAN'T have them, they're MINE, they're GREAT and I REFUSE to leave them!

This breaks my heart. Why couldn't this bitch have just offed herself? Why take an innocent baby? And how traumatic for the 13 year old. He has to live with this the rest of his life.

The 13 year old was dosed too.
The report stated Alex Martinez, Phillip Lee's 13-year-old brother, told investigators that his mother had given him pills the night of the death. "Mom woke me up during the night, told me I had been throwing up and gave me three pills," the document stated. "When I woke up, I felt dizzy but not sick on my stomach."
http://www2.independenttribune.com/content/2008/nov/11/autopsy-boy-died-drug-overdose/news-local/
Nothing new in that article beyond that snippet.

Okay, so this is literally the last article left on the internet about what happened that day, so I'm going to reply to this.

I'm Alex Martinez, Robin is my mother, and Philip, (Everyone on here spells it Phillip but it is NOT) is my brother. I'm 18 years old now and I think I'm finally willing to speak on this subject publicly.

First of all, I do not speak to my mother because she opted out of our lives and although I love her, she doesn't deserve the right to be in my life. Second of all, I'm no supporter of what happened, clearly as I was a victim in this, but before I defend my mother I just want to throw that out there before some ignorant person tries to say so. And third, my mother was the best mother anyone could have possibly asked for, she raised me right and I'm proud to be the person I am today knowing she is the one who influenced me.

At the time of what happened, we were being evicted with no money. My mom had two children to take care of, had been a victim to years of mental abuse from my step father and didn't know where else to turn. No, what she did was not acceptable, but she did not intend for either of us to be fatally harmed either. Everyone in this post passed judgement when they had no fucking idea what they were talking about. Some of the posts in this thread are absolutely laughable and most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm sure you have all, every single one of you, been in a position in your lives where you felt you had nowhere else to turn and had no hope for yourselves. Unfortunately, my mother was one of the people that wasn't strong enough to carry on, and she's paying the price for it as she should be.

I'm not sure if anyone will even see this post as it's almost 6 years in the future from when it was posted, but I thought I'd put my opinion out there for all to see.

-Alex

Okay, so this is literally the last article left on the internet about what happened that day, so I'm going to reply to this.

I'm Alex Martinez, Robin is my mother, and Philip, (Everyone on here spells it Phillip but it is NOT) is my brother. I'm 18 years old now and I think I'm finally willing to speak on this subject publicly.

First of all, I do not speak to my mother because she opted out of our lives and although I love her, she doesn't deserve the right to be in my life. Second of all, I'm no supporter of what happened, clearly as I was a victim in this, but before I defend my mother I just want to throw that out there before some ignorant person tries to say so. And third, my mother was the best mother anyone could have possibly asked for, she raised me right and I'm proud to be the person I am today knowing she is the one who influenced me.

At the time of what happened, we were being evicted with no money. My mom had two children to take care of, had been a victim to years of mental abuse from my step father and didn't know where else to turn. No, what she did was not acceptable, but she did not intend for either of us to be fatally harmed either. Everyone in this post passed judgement when they had no fucking idea what they were talking about. Some of the posts in this thread are absolutely laughable and most of you should be ashamed of yourselves. I'm sure you have all, every single one of you, been in a position in your lives where you felt you had nowhere else to turn and had no hope for yourselves. Unfortunately, my mother was one of the people that wasn't strong enough to carry on, and she's paying the price for it as she should be.

I'm not sure if anyone will even see this post as it's almost 6 years in the future from when it was posted, but I thought I'd put my opinion out there for all to see.

-Alex
First, I'm sorry for what you went through and I am glad that you survived.

Also, these forums are for just that- speculation, it's what happens when we don't have all of the information.

I know I been in a position where I have no one to turn to. It's an awful feeling, but I know I would never harm my kids in any way. My kids give me strength and hope. I would do anything for them.

I hope you understand that nothing that was said was an attack on you, it's disgust at what your mom was charged with.

No, what she did was not acceptable, but she did not intend for either of us to be fatally harmed either.

So was she trying to get you to sleep when you were already asleep?

I'm not trying to be a bitch but she gave you and your brother narcotics. A lot of them.

All I can say Alex, is please move on from what happened to u. U were a victim, don't focus on what anyone had to say 6 years ago. The people here simply commented on the tragedy that played out in public (and it was a horrible situation) but u need to look forward. Don't dwell in the past, think about what u can do from this point on! I wish u the best of luck.

Oh, Alex. I am so incredibly sorry for what and your brother have been through.

But you know what? Your mother's situation wasn't all that unique. I myself have had nowhere to turn with a small child and no idea what to do. Know what I did? I put on my big girl panties, realizing I had brought life into this world, and I did what I had to do. I have been evicted and I have been homeless. And my child is still living, even with my having debilitating depression and a chronic illness.

I understand your sticking up for your mother. She is your momma and you love her very much, despite her ... flaws. I can get that, I really can. My own mother wasn't perfect.

And I have been in situations where I couldn't/didn't carry on. Yet, all my children are alive. Her having issues or roadblocks in her life is no excuse to kill her children. None.

I hope you can find some peace in this often scary, confusing, uncaring world, Alex. All my love to you.

@Alexmartinez2413

You sound like you are doing amazingly well emotionally--it is awesome that you can appreciate most of what your Mom gave you and find forgiveness for her in your heart, while at the same time keeping a healthy distance from her.

You are amazing.

What people fail to realize is, she never meant for Philip OR I to pass, just to sleep long enough for someone to find her so we didnt have to. But what SHE failed to realize is what she might do once those pills hit her. Philip DID NOT die from methadone. Nobody, including my mother had any idea how he died until tox screens returned. Once she was under the influence, Philip woke up - I'll touch on this in a moment - and he was coughing. She unintentionally gave him adults tussionex instead of the kids kind. It's very common for this to be a cause of death in young children, entirely by accident of course, just as in this case. Now, the reason she woke me up in the middle of the night is because the initial dose she gave us was secretive; in hot chocolate. But, neither of us drank much because obviously that would make it taste pretty disgusting. I had a couple sips before I didn't want it, same as my brother. Therefore she had to find another way. So, there's that. People judge her, but not one of you are above her. This kind of mental collapse can happen to anyone. Ask any psychiatrist about the fight or flight effect and they'll tell you it causes people to do things they would never normally do. Disagree with me all you want, tell me its just because she's my mother, whatever, but I know my mother and I can tell you there's absolutely nothing but temporary loss of sanity that would ever, EVER make her do what she did. There wasn't a person around who didnt love her and we were her number one priority, no matter what.. I got a letter from her yesterday. The letter I sent prior was the first time either one of us ever discussed what happened in 6 years and in part of her letter she mentions how she thought the only option, what would be best for everyone, would be if she was dead. Yes, that's absolutely ludicrous, but extreme mental stress also causes extreme mental malfunction. Regardless of if this is a discussion page or if we were on the couch watching tv, people should stop passing judgement before they know anything on the subject. This isn't high school, we're grown adults. Open your feeble minds and try looking at things from someone else's perspective.

So was she trying to get you to sleep when you were already asleep?

I'm not trying to be a bitch but she gave you and your brother narcotics. A lot of them.
Well gee, were you there? No, so... I'll go ahead and remind you that you have no fucking idea how much she gave us. Also, methadone isn't even a narcotic. So although you TRIED not to be a bitch, you still came across as one. An ignorant one at that. Think before you speak.

@Alexmartinez2413 you need therapy. I have 4 kids and not once has any of them taken an adult dose of medication by mistake.

The flight or fight response you're talking about is not an excuse to try to kill your kids.

You want people to stop talking about it and you're doing it wrong. You are the only one keeping this discussion going. I think you do want people to judge your mom, if you didn't you wouldn't have come back and commented again.

Methadone :
Methadone is an opioid medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic. Methadone reduces withdrawal symptoms in people addicted to heroin or other narcotic drugs without causing the "high" associated with the drug addiction.

Alex I am so sorry for what you went through. I can't even imagine the pain that your mother was in to make the choices she made. I can see how it happens as I have battled severe depression for years. You seem very smart and well adjusted in spite of what you have been through.

Don't take anything that you read here personally. It is easy for people to comment on stories without knowing the whole story. I myself am guilty of it. Thanks for sharing your side and providing us with some insight.

People judge her, but not one of you are above her.

I am, no doubt about it. Main reason being i never tried to off anyone.

I also live my life in a responsible manner so i can ensure i never end up in a situation where i can't care for my loved ones. So that too makes me better. This prick and his kids never faced eviction.

Oh and put a fucking shirt on, your profile pic/avatar there is gross and mighty fruity.

BTW, your mom looks like a masculine john denver. And i mean that as a compliment. No hard feelings bro.

Get your life together.

Back