• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Unamused Cat

Veteran Member
ri5447.jpg

Abigail Johnson

Authorities have not made an arrest in the death of a 4-month-old girl who passed away Monday night. Evansville Police Department detectives interviewed the girl's parents Tuesday night.

Assistant Chief Rob Hahn said this morning that investigators were continuing to follow leads and interview possible witnesses or suspects today to determine the circumstances surrounding the girl's death.

An autopsy Tuesday revealed the girl did not die from natural causes, though more specific determinations are pending further investigation.

Abigail D. Johnson was pronounced dead about 11:30 p.m. in the pediatric intensive care unit at St. Mary's Medical Center.

She had been in the hospital since a Thursday, when emergency responders were called to the family's apartment for a medical run.

TUESDAY REPORT:

Evansville Police Department investigators are interviewing the parents of a four-month-old girl who died Monday night at St. Mary’s Medical Center.

An autopsy earlier today ruled out a natural cause of death. The specific cause, manner and mechanism of the girl’s death are still pending further investigation, as well as toxicology and histology reports, Vanderburgh County Coroner Annie Groves said.

Evansville Police Department Deputy Chief Joyce Molinet said the girls’ parents - Lori Record and David Johnson Jr. - were being questioned late this afternoon.

The circumstances leading up to the girl being hospitalized were not immediately clear. An Evansville Police Department incident report filed last Thursday shows officers responding to a medical run that night at the family’s apartment, 1054 S. Lincoln Park Drive.

A juvenile female is listed as the victim and Johnson and Record are both listed as involved parties.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/20...igating-childs-death/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Video: http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=9824036&nav=3w6o

Neighbors say they had concerns about baby Abby living in the conditions she did.
One neighbor describes the inside of the couple's home on S. Lincoln as trashy, dirty and flea infested.

http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=55661

Last edited:
Emergency responders were dispatched to the Record's and Johnson's apartment Thursday night after a call came in that the baby stopped breathing.

911 Dispatcher: "What's the problem? Tell me exactly what happened."

David Johnson Jr:"Umm, well we laid our baby to sleep after we fed her and changed her diaper..she's uhh...we just got back from the doctor's office today...and she had an ear infection."

911 Dispatcher: "She's not breathing."

David Johnson Jr:"Yeah she's not breathing."

Johnson was told to apply CPR on the baby until ambulances arrived.

Abigail was taken to Saint Mary's Medical Center, where she died Monday. Investigators are still waiting on autopsy results.

A neighbor of Record's and Johnson's who wishes to remain anonymous says Lori Record came over to their apartment two weeks ago to call Child Protective Services.

"She asked to use the phone about something that happened with CPS," said the neighbor. "She told me her husband had an anger problem. She told me CPS called in on her because of a big bruise on her child's head. She wouldn't let me see the baby. It was in a carrier on the floor the whole time with a blanket over it."

Before Abigail's death, her parents were already being looked into by the Indiana Department of Child Services.
http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=9830267&nav=3w6o
"She was a perfect little baby girl," Abigail's grandfather, David Johnson said. "Ten toes, ten fingers, just perfect."

David Johnson is talking about his first granddaughter, Abigail.

Johnson says it was originally thought Abigail stopped breathing because of the flu, but now wonders if that's actually the case.

"They said there were some broken bones in the baby and I just found this out in the last day or two," Johnson said.

He says he often watched his granddaughter on the weekends and has questioned the two parents about what he's seen.

"I've seen a few little bruises on the baby and I used to question them about that, but it was always she rolled off the couch or simple answers like that," Johnson said.

Johnson says he stands by his son, but feels both should be held responsible if their actions led to Abigail's death.
http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=9824036&nav=3w6o

David L. Johnson Jr., 23, and Lori Record, 21

Davids dad called CPS and even Lori the mom called. She should have just left and took the baby somewhere safe. It doesn't look to me like she tried hard enough. If your baby is covered in bruises and has broken bones, its not like anyone wouldn't believe your story. The baby was malnourished and abused from the start and she payed a role in it. Though its clear to me David is the one who did the physical damage to poor little Abigail.

Officials say blunt force trauma to the head killed 4-month-old Abigail D. Johnson, whose death Monday was ruled a homicide by the Vanderburgh County coroner's office Friday.

The infant did not suffer a single onslaught of blows, however. Coroner Annie Groves said evidence of past abuse was apparent during Abigail's autopsy Tuesday.

"This little baby has not had a good life," Groves said. "How can someone do this to an innocent child?"

The Evansville Police Department began interviewing Abigail's parents, David L. Johnson Jr., 23, and Lori Record, 21, on Tuesday after the autopsy.

"They are being investigated, yes," Police Department spokesman Steve Green said. "Whoever had control of this baby at certain times, they're going to be looked at. If we find out that somebody had given care to this baby, we'll talk to them, too."

The investigation remains open, Green said, but there are no other suspects at this time. Johnson and Record are not in custody, and no charges have been filed.

Prior abuse suffered by the blue-eyed, blond-haired infant was manifested in broken bones that never were treated and were in various states of healing, Groves said, as well as bruising and abrasions at a variety of stages.

"There was bruising everywhere," she said.

Bleeding and swelling in the child's brain resulted from the blunt force trauma to her head, Groves said. The baby was unresponsive when emergency personnel arrived Feb. 5 after a 911 call to her home at 1054 S. Lincoln Park Drive.

"You could get something like that in a traffic accident or if someone bangs you against a wall or hits their fists into your head," Groves said, noting the examination could not determine how the damage was inflicted.

Efforts to reach Johnson, Record and other family members were unsuccessful Friday, as were efforts to obtain a transcript of the 911 tape.

Aggressive resuscitation efforts by emergency responders at the family's apartment restored Abigail's pulse, but she never regained any type of consciousness, Groves said.

The baby died at 11:36 p.m. Monday after being declared brain dead and removed from a ventilator at St. Mary's Medical Center.

Circumstances leading to Abigail's death remain unclear. Ann Houseworth, spokeswoman for the Indiana Department of Child Services, said the family was undergoing an assessment before Abigail died.

However, she declined to comment on what initiated the assessment because of confidentiality rules and the incomplete status of the department's investigation.

Abigail, the couple's only child, appeared malnourished, Groves said. At 11 pounds, 14 ounces, the baby — born Sept. 24 — was gaining less than a pound a month.

Groves also said she has heard reports Abigail was left alone on the porch with no one else at home. Photographs of the scene show the residence was filthy, she said, with old food in the sink and clutter covering the floor.

"They have a bed for the baby and so much stuff in it, no way could they put the baby in it ..." Groves said. "This baby's been neglected since birth."

Speaking generally, Houseworth said when the Department of Child Services begins an assessment, caseworkers first ascertain the safety of the child. Then, they try to put a network — including family members, friends and organizations, such as churches — together to provide support.

"It must be a difficult time for them, and our thoughts are with them," she said.

According to Groves, Johnson, who is on disability, and Record, who is unemployed, have obtained legal representation and refused to return phone calls.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2009/feb/13/infants-death-ruled-homicide/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Rest In Peace Abigail D. Johnson

Prior abuse suffered by the blue-eyed, blond-haired infant was manifested in broken bones that never were treated and were in various states of healing, Groves said, as well as bruising and abrasions at a variety of stages.

Terrible neglect, lack of feeding and failing to provide a safe environment is inexcusable. The mother would have been the only person who could truly protect her from harm from the father. I wonder if the allegations that Abigail was left alone on the porch are true...what a fucking miserable way to live.

She says the husband has a anger issue. She should have taken the baby and herself, the hell out of there. My guess is, she didn't care enough for Abigail. She allowed the abuse to continue and frankly, I'm not convinced she didn't inflict some of the physical abuse herself. Either way, she failed and there's a dead baby that can never get a second chance...I aslo blame, DCF and why the fuck didn't the grandfather do more? Fuck you baby killer and the sorry excuse for a mother.

Baby Abigail, you were the light of life and the promise to get a chance at a decent life should have been yours.
Kisses sweet one...be at peace little angel.
aby.jpg

Video

The Evansville mother and father indicted by a grand jury in connection with the death of their son were in court Thursday. Lori Record and David Johnson are charged with neglect. An autopsy shows their nine month old child Abigail Johnson died February 9th from blunt force trauma to the head. Both were ordered held on $100,000 cash bonds. They will be back in court next month.

Video at link.

http://tristatehomepage.com/content/fulltext/?cid=64771

not nearly high enough for me

Bond questioned

Record's attorney, John Goodridge, said he had not seen the documentation requesting the increase and was unprepared to oppose it until he had done so.

"I want to argue the bond normally when the case appears on the judge's calendar. I do not wish to argue bond this morning," he said during the hearing. "The bond affects the constitutional right ... I have not one document in this case. I need to represent and protect my client."

Lamb told the judge the increase was warranted "because of the seriousness of this charge."

Trockman said he agreed with Goodridge that he has the right to a bond hearing and to be prepared for it.

"I agree you have the right to argue for bond reduction ... but on other days we set bonds based on the information (we have)," he said. "Over your objection, I'm setting a $100,000 cash-only bond."

Superior Court Judge J. Douglas Knight, who's been appointed to preside over Record's case, will hear arguments on the bond April 23.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/20...ed-for-babys-parents/?partner=yahoo_headlines

Baby Abigail Johnson - NO Justice Yet!

Baby Abigail was a beautiful 4 month old baby who was for all intents healthy. The sad fact is she was born to a worthless egg and sperm donor. I just don't understand why nothing has happened in this case.
This little angel died on Feb. 9th, 4 days after she was found unresponsive. She had broken bones that were in various stages of healing. According to a neighbor she was left on the porch alone one night. (Hello?? Does anyone in Indiana know how to call the damn 9-1-1???) Yet no one in the neighborhood called the proper authorities. This story has given me many days of tears. I can't imagine her being on that porch all alone and nobody to tend to her little cries. I've actually had nightmares. I'm really angry because nothing seems to be happening with this case. I may not have children but this angel didn't break her own bones.

Here is a picture of this beautiful angel.

2r6elc6.jpg

FINALLY some charges brought against these assholes! And what about the neighbor who said she was left outside on the proch ALL night?? Seems criminal to me if you see this happen and do nothing about it - IMMEDIATLY? I would of called the cops, they would of come over, seen the baby on the porch, saw the state of the filthy home and she may have been taken away right there - on like neglect or something. Unfortunately one of the problems with that is that these poor kids almost always end up right back with the parents....That poor little girl, so much pain in such a short life. And that mother? Knowing her POS had an anger problem and yet she stayed? Sterilize the both of them

OMFG There is NO Justice for these babies

It's pathetic in Indiana that you can get life in prison for drugs but you can brutally murder your own 4 month old baby and get 10 years. These people murdered their sweet baby girl and he gets slapped on the wrist. I'm not holding out much hope when the egg donor goes to trial either.

An Evansville man charged in the beating death of his 4-month-old daughter, Abigail Johnson, has pleaded guilty.

David L. Johnson Jr., pleaded guilty Monday to neglect of a dependent, a class B felony, as part of a plea agreement filed in Vanderburgh Superior Court. If accepted by Superior Court Judge Mary Margaret Lloyd, Johnson will get a 10-year sentence in the case, according to the plea agreement.

Abigail died Feb. 9, 2009, four days after she was found unresponsive when emergency personnel answered a 911 call at her family’s apartment at 1054 S. Lincoln Park Drive.

Officials say blunt force trauma to the head killed Abigail, but the girl’s body also showed signs of possible past abuse. An autopsy showed she had broken bones that were never treated and were in various stages of healing as well as bruising and abrasions at a variety of stages.

Johnson and his wife, Lori Record, were interviewed after Abigail’s autopsy, but charges awaited the action of the grand jury. After hearing two days of testimony, a Vanderburgh County grand jury indicted Johnson and Record on Class A felony counts of neglect of a dependent resulting in death. A Class A felony can carry a sentence of 20 to 50 years in prison. A Class B felony can bring a sentence of 6 to 20 years.

Record is scheduled to appear in court on July 29 for a progress hearing.

Johnson, who pleaded guilty to a lesser charge, is scheduled to be sentenced on July 12.

Here is precious Baby Abigail! Rest with angels sweetheart! You are truly one of God's tiniest angels! I'm so sorry you had such rotten parents. You have many people here who love you and are touched by your story and we will never forget you.

For those who missed it, This is baby Abigail:

30lp7y9.jpg

I'm not posting pics of the bio units as this is a small way for me to honor Baby Abigail. I could care less about them. The sad fact is, this freak will be out in about 5 years Indiana time. Looks like its time for Break The Silence to start campaigning for a decent prosecutor, someone who believes in locking up the criminals and protecting these children.

Shit like this really pisses me off. Life for drugs 10 years for murdering a baby. What has the justice system came too?

I second that OMFG!

BTS, thanks for the update! the original thread is here. I knew I remembered baby Abigail's face! so precious.

WHAT HAPPENED TO BABY ABIGAIL ...

SO sorry baby Abigail!

I am so sorry. I looked and searched for the original post. I couldn't find it and I wanted everyone to know the horrible injustice done to this sweet angel. The sad fact is this POS will do maybe 5 years max. Take off the time he sat in jail waiting trial plus any credit he might earn in prison for taking any rehab treatment, parenting classes, GED classes or college credit. I don't know about the rest of you, but I personally am very opposed to the state paying for inmates to get college credits and then giving them credit off their sentence for it. If they are going to get time off for college classes then the inmate should be footing the bill.

what the fuck? they said she had been at the doctors THAT DAY for an ear infection. the doctor didnt notice bruising on the baby? didnt take her onsie off and check her body for any rash or anything?

why do soooo many assholes see the abuse and choose not to say anything.

Ten years?! Ten. Fucking. Years. Really. That's so fucked. I could go outside and slap a cop on the ass and get a longer sentence than that. Sick. That poor baby girl. I can't imagine being brought into a world that you're unfamiliar with, being completely helpless, then abused and neglected by the people that were supposed to be loving you. I wonder if she ever knew love in her short little life. Makes me cry... Kind of reminds me of Baby P...

Plea deal, REJECTED!!

Kudos, Your Honor! Judge Maggie Lloyd!

A Vanderburgh Superior Court judge said "no" to a potential plea bargain for a man accused of killing his child.
David Johnson, Jr. had agreed to plead guilty to a lesser charge of neglect of a dependent. In return, the prosecutor would agree to a 10-year prison sentence, but Judge Maggie Lloyd rejected the idea.
http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=175805

Lori Record is supposed to be in court on July 29, for a progress hearing (whatever that is, discovery, witnesses, etc. I suppose) and David L. Johnson back in court on August 29!

Now, someone or several (in that area) need to light a fire under the Prosecutor and make them seek Justice, for Abigail!!

EVANSVILLE — A Child Protective Services worker twice visited the home of 41/2-month-old Abigail Johnson a month before her Feb. 9, 2009, death, according to testimony Tuesday at the trial of her father, David L. Johnson Jr., who is accused of neglect resulting in her death.

Former Child Protective Services case manager Tom Sergesketter testified that he didn't believe the explanation that Johnson and Lori Record, the child's mother, gave for a bruise on Abigail's cheek when he went to their apartment at 1054 S. Lincoln Park Drive on Jan. 12.

Sergesketter told jurors he visited again on Jan. 14, but that he took no more action because medical tests found no evidence of abuse.

Dr. Curtis Stautz, a radiologist with Evansville Radiology at Deaconess Hospital testified that on Jan. 15, 2009, he examined a series of X-rays of Abigail's body and found no abnormalities.

Sergesketter told jurors Tuesday that he closed the Johnsons' case on Feb. 4.

On Feb. 5, Abigail was hospitalized at St. Mary's Medical Center after emergency responders arrived at the family's apartment and found her with no heartbeat and not breathing. She died Feb. 9 after four days on a respirator.

Stautz testified Tuesday that on Feb. 6, he was asked to review his findings again and this time found evidence of bone fractures that appeared to be healing.

"I knew it was not a new fracture. It had appeared previously," he said.

Johnson, 25, listened intently along with jurors as the 911 call from the night of Feb. 5, when he called for help because his daughter had stopped breathing, was played in court. Johnson is charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death, a class A felony punishable by 20 to 50 years in prison. Record is also is charged with neglect of a dependent.

Sergesketter, now employed by Vanderburgh County Juvenile Court, testified that an employee at Deaconess Cross Pointe had referred Johnson to Child Protective Services after observing a bruise on Abigail's cheek.

Earlier, Judge Mary Margaret Lloyd admonished jurors to disregard the testimony of Evansville Police Department crime scene investigator Sgt. James Myers. He had testified that Johnson was at the apartment when Myers arrived to take evidence pictures, and that Johnson told him he had an anger management problem.

Lloyd is expected to rule this morning on defense attorney Beverly Corn's motion to exclude testimony about the issue.

Stautz also testified that he examined X-rays taken of Abigail after she was admitted to St. Mary's and found fractures that were not present on the January X-rays.

Former St. Mary's emergency room nurse Robin Locke testified that there was a knot on the side of Abigail's head when she arrived at the hospital.

Vanderburgh County Chief Deputy Coroner Steve Lockyear testified that based on a pathologist's autopsy results, the cause of death was reported as a homicide — although he also testified that coroner's findings are only for a cause and not as to who may be responsible.

He testified that he spoke to Record when he arrived at the hospital on Feb. 9 but that he couldn't find Johnson there to speak to him.

Sherman Harvey, a maintenance worker for Warren Properties, which owns the apartment where the Johnsons lived, testified that on one occasion he entered the apartment to repair a door lock and found the baby wrapped in a blanket on the floor. However, he told jurors that the bedroom door was closed and nobody replied to his repeated announcements that he was there. Harvey said he reported the incident to his boss' secretary.

Deputy Prosecutor Charlie Berger will continue to call witnesses for his case today.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jan/26/social-workers-visits-preceded-childs-death/

Kudos, Your Honor! Judge Maggie Lloyd!

http://tristatehomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=175805

Lori Record is supposed to be in court on July 29, for a progress hearing (whatever that is, discovery, witnesses, etc. I suppose) and David L. Johnson back in court on August 29!

Now, someone or several (in that area) need to light a fire under the Prosecutor and make them seek Justice, for Abigail!!

The residents of Evansville, Indiana spoke very plainly and very loudly as we voted the worthless prosecutor out of office that offered this scumbag a plea deal that would have given him 10 years. He was known as Let 'EmGo Levco. Well, the people in that county let HIM go.

Kudos to that judge! You know, if children really are our most precious resource, as we hear from everyone in a position of power and influence, then we should scream until the laws governing sentences for child abuse/death are changed. I favor a mandatory minimum sentence of 25 years, with 85% served before a parole hearing. You get more time for property crimes and financial shenanigans than for injuring, maiming, raping and/or killing a baby or child. Bullshit is what it is, and it shows.

-dd-11102.jpg
A jury has found David L. Johnson, Jr., guilty of neglect of a dependent causing death in the death of his 4 1/2-month old daughter, Abigail. Several key defense witnesses said she showed signs of abuse.

Jurors began deliberating at 11 a.m. and returned the verdict roughly an hour later.

Johnson's sentencing has been set for 11 a.m. Feb. 23
More on the trial: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jan/28/testimony-backs-abuse-charge/

Any word on the bitch's trial or the sentence for the dick breath?

Dick breath's sentencing is Feb 23rd at 11am. He is facing 20-50 years in prison. I'm hoping and praying its on the 50 year mark. Egg donor bitch is due back in court on Feb 10th.

Record also has been charged in connection with the child's Feb. 9, 2009, death. She is scheduled to appear in court on Feb. 10, but a trial date has not been set.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/jan/28/testimony-backs-abuse-charge/?partner=popular

EVANSVILLE — Lori Record pleaded guilty Thursday in the 2009 death of her infant daughter in return for a 20-year sentence, the minimum suggested sentence for A felonies.

The Vanderburgh County Prosecutor's Office agreed to the plea as long as the sentence would be served in prison.

The guilty plea came more than two years after a Vanderburgh County grand jury indicted Record and the child's father, David Johnson Jr., with neglect of a dependent causing death. As an A felony, the charge carries a possible sentence of 20 to 50 years.

Superior Court Judge Richard D'Amour took the agreement under consideration but said he would not formally accept it until a presentencing investigation was completed.

Record will be sentenced at 1 p.m. June 2. She has been held in the Vanderburgh County Jail since her April 2009 arrest.

In pleading guilty, Record, 23, acknowledged that she knowingly placed her daughter, Abigail Johnson, in a situation resulting in her death.

Record did not testify at David Johnson Jr.'s trial on the same charge in January. Superior Court Judge Mary Margaret Lloyd sentenced him to 40 years in prison.

According to court records, emergency personnel responding to David Johnson Jr.'s 911 call arrived at the family's apartment on South Lincoln Park Drive on Feb. 5, 2009, and found the baby not breathing and without a heartbeat. She was taken by ambulance to St. Mary's Medical Center where she remained on a respirator until she died.

A CT scan in February showed that in addition to her head injuries, Abigail had fractures in her collarbone, arm and possibly her leg, according to testimony during David Johnson Jr.'s trial.

Also during that trial, testimony was given that a bruise on Abigail's cheek in January prompted Child Protective Services to request a similar body scan, but the scan was misinterpreted, causing the agency to close an investigation into her possible abuse. A later re-examination of CT scan images that had been taken in January indicated the fractured collarbone was present at that time.

The Vanderburgh County Coroner's Office ruled Abigail's death a homicide caused by a head injury.

Johnson told police he tried to give his daughter CPR before calling 911. However, medical evidence during his trial indicated that based on her body temperature when she arrived at the hospital, Abigail had stopped breathing about 35 minutes earlier, contradicting his version of events.

http://www.courierpress.com/news/2011/may/05/no-headline---06a0xrecord/

What the hell? People saw the baby on the floor by herself and left alone on the porch all night? For real? If I see a baby on a porch by itself here, I'm going to go tend to it until I get some response from inside the house, after I call the fucking cops. Same if I'm a maintenance person and find the baby on the floor and no adult supervision. What the fucking fuck people?

Why is Abigail's father, David Lee Johnson, Jr., currently in the Vanderburgh County jail??? Has his sentence in prison been completed and he's now on his way to some sort of reduced sentence like house arrest or work release? He is listed under recent jail bookings....this is RIDICULOUS!

Searching for more info....he did appeal his conviction in 2011 and it was denied.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/opinions/pdf/12291101ewn.pdf

In sum, the trial court did not abuse its discretion when it denied Johnson’s
tendered jury instructions on two lesser
-
included offenses of neglect of a dependent. The
trial court also did not abuse its discretion when it permitted the State to introduce into
evidence the social worker’s testimony. And the trial court’s conclusion that the State
did not act out of vindi
ctiveness when it included Count II in the amended indictment is
not clearly erroneous. Thus, we affirm Johnson’s conviction
[doublepost=1464136256,1464134802][/doublepost]
Why is Abigail's father, David Lee Johnson, Jr., currently in the Vanderburgh County jail??? Has his sentence in prison been completed and he's now on his way to some sort of reduced sentence like house arrest or work release? He is listed under recent jail bookings....this is RIDICULOUS!

I saw the info you're referring to, but I don't know if its actually him. According to the Indiana department of corrections, he is currently incarcerated on this case.

http://www.in.gov/apps/indcorrection/ofs/ofs?previous_page=1&detail=218872

Back