• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Silvahalo

Bite My Seraphim Sass
Anything and all things that are close to your heart and makeup part of your soul, (if you believe in a soul), ...please do tell. We all have varying belief systems. Whether it is based on religion or superstitions, we have them. I find the people here on DD greatly vary in ideals and beliefs and love that about this site. All walks of life with different faiths...

As for me. I believe in the kindness and good that we all posses as humans. We daily see the darkness of humanity but I firmly believe, that although we are barbaric, and have yet so much to learn, we are on the road to greatness...eventually.
Our world is plagued with horrors that we would not even imagine in our nightmares but if you look closely, you can see that humanity does have a soul and it is worthy and good. I believe in God and an after life with that, evil and good. I believe the soul is our true home within us and we either feed it with love or mistreat it.

I believe in love although I do believe we choose how and who to love...at least for most part.
I believe in compassion and forgiveness.
I believe in miracles...looking at my children confirms that for me every time.

My ideas about God do not fall neatly into one category of religion. I was raised predominantly Catholic but baptized episcopal. Today my idea of religion is not based on how often I go to church but rather how I lead my life day to day. I don't attend church regularly mostly because I have not found one that I like all that much. I even don't agree with all aspects of what I've read in the bible...(O.K., expect to get stoned now).

I believe that God gives us choice and with that comes chaos and enlightenment.

I believe we learn from diversity and we continue to learn by listening to others with beliefs that differ from ours.
I believe in an open mind and open heart and tolerance.

Last edited:
I am a secular humanist...I have confidence in humanity's potential. I suppose that makes me an atheist, but I wouldn't say that...more so an agnostic existentialist? Something may or may not exist. Whether it does is irrelevant to our current existence.

Just my two cents!

hmmm what do I believe? Sometimes Im not ever sure anymore, atleast when it comes to religion. I have faith, but I dont believe in the church or church systems. Not anymore as they have turned time and time again for their own gain. Not for the gain of the people who are memebers. I believe in God, and I believe in Jesus. I think our church leaders have twisted the word of God to suit themselves. So I prefer to study the bible on my own. I have quite a variety of translations as well.

But that dosnt make up the core of who I am. I believe in good and telling the truth. Not judging someone before you truly get to know that no matter what or who they are. I believe in virtue and respecting yourself. Today you see so many girls and women who just dont respect themselves. Giving their body freely to anything with a penis. Beauty comes from within it truly does. As an abuse survivor I believe in telling anyone and everyone my story so that if they can relate the dont feel alone. That breaking the cycle is key and only by talking about it will those cycles begin to become broken. I raise my children with both love and sterness. They know what is expected of them and if they misbehave they will be corrected. But rewarding with love, complements, and the occasional want is a good thing. Hitting is never a way to get anywhere.

Personally i am an atheist. I don't feel that religion or belief outside of yourself is needed to succeed in life. Personally because i was raised by a catholic family and went to a catholic school. you could almost say it was forced out of me, and this has reflected into my life. I went even further and began researching myths, religions and cults, making startling discovers along the way. While i have no problem with belief in a higher power, good for you, i don't think that you need it.

However, anyone who has started to push religion on me has learned not to. I have picked Christianity apart so badly that priests have told me to stay out of their churches or to just shut up and leave. :proud2::crazy::hello::lollypop:

I believe in aliens.
For the same reason other people believe in god. It pleases me to look up at the vast sky and think maybe someone is looking back. Oh, and aliens have yet to express an opinion that people must be punished. And if cornered about the irrationality of it, I'll take the same position the godfearers do and tell you to prove there're not.

I believe in anything that has more evidence for than against.

Which means no religion for me. No UFO's. No conspiracy theories. No superstitions. No such thing as "Luck". No pseudo sciences. And I do not believe that Morbid has a penis. Not until I see pictures.

I believe that humans can be good, but only because it serves their best interest. I think the secret to a decent society is figuring out how to align self-interest with the greater good. This occurs when we celebrate good behavior, so the self-interest can be one of ego-fulfillment or group praise. Capitalism does a grand job of rewarding self-interest by putting the consumer in charge, rather than the producer. Democracy does a fair job via the secret ballot, but I think term limits for the elected and a stringent exam requirement for the elector would be major improvements.

I used to believe in alot more stuff, back in the day, than I do now. I was a naive, trusting basically happy person, and the world seemed a fine place to me then. I have learned much in the years between then and now, some of it I wish I hadn't.

I used to believe in alot more stuff, back in the day, than I do now. I was a naive, trusting basically happy person, and the world seemed a fine place to me then. I have learned much in the years between then and now, some of it I wish I hadn't.

Thank you, RaVen. I'm going to take my dogs out to piss and shoot myself in the head.

Last edited:
I believe in anything that has more evidence for than against.

Which means no religion for me. No UFO's. No conspiracy theories. No superstitions. No such thing as "Luck". No pseudo sciences. And I do not believe that Morbid has a penis. Not until I see pictures.

No sense in reinventing the wheel, for me...This about sums it up.

I believe

That free will empowers us to justify any action or reaction, to the point we can live with ourselves. That humans are inherently good and environmental processes point in the direction most traveled.

I believe that everyone has skeletons in their closet, filled to the point of bursting, with mop handles and chairs holding the door shut...I believe in leaving my closet door open.

I believe that judging others is self satisfying and intrinstically motivated and too often used to replace understanding and learning opportunities.

Tolerance is low, anger is high. Which is actually good, anger, true anger brings about change, ironically not generally in the vein of our choosing but regardless, change.

I believe people to easily accept face value and use critical thinking skills only when trying to avoid or distance themselves from something.

I believe in God, and that JC himself walked the earth for a very specific reason and I am firmly rooted there, yet I also can recognize the arguments of opposition, while not agreeing, as valid in another perspective.

I don't believe in raising my children in a bubble, they are exposed to cultures, religions, M-rated video games, South Park-when I am not looking-Family Guy, comic books, horror movies, C.S Lewis, independence, WWE and life. I am not the end all be all, and as long as they are respectful, are welcome to argue a point or disagree with me.

Beyond faith in God, I have faith in humanity, faith that individuals truly want to see the positive, faith that the injustice in the world can be overcome.

I also believe in legalizing all drugs....I don't believe in the death penalty...I do believe in restorative justice...I don't believe in charging juveniles as adults....I believe in the separation of the mind and body, conscious and unconscious, and the spirit and soul.

I believe that where I am right now, right this minute is always were I am best suited to make an impact.

AND I believe that words without deeds are as useless as a screen door on a submarine.

I believe how and what you do in your life on a daily basis good or bad will "comeback" at you at some point.
(Yes, some would call that karma but I don't follow the religion that has strong beliefs in that terminology.)

I believe in saying what I mean and meaning what I say.

I believe that a kind word or smile daily has more meaning and intention than a collection dish on Sunday or a yearly fund drive.

I believe in saying "please" and "thank you" and use them often.

I believe in asking how someone is and waiting to hear the answer.

Why?
Because I treat people the way I want to be treated.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time believing in anything nowadays.

Scientifically I look for evidence as proof.

Spiritually about the only things I believe in are the laws of physics for the universe and karma. Oh and the ridiculous notion that we are the only society in the universe and space is beyond me. Of course they are out there, just not within our realm.

No sense in reinventing the wheel, for me...This about sums it up.

I have to agree with Swivel and Athena for the most part. So much for originality but whatever.

Religion and/or your beliefs are a private matter in my opinion. You wish to share them, fine. But don't expect me to agree or pretend to be interested. I prefer the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, The Invisible Pink Unicorn and Ceiling Cat's translation of the Bible - much better than the King James version. If you think I'm gonna go to hell, GREAT! I will see most of my FRIENDS there.

fyfo77.jpg
30mls3k.jpg
5f0v9t.jpg

That humans are inherently good and environmental processes point in the direction most traveled.

Not to burst your bubble, but studies like the Stanford Prison Experiment and the Milgram Experiment clearly suggest otherwise...as if episodes like the Holocaust and, really, any other full-scale genocide don't prove that on their own. Those atrocities were able to occur because entire countries either actively bought in or, at the very least, found a way to justify.

Swivel had it right the first time - People are good when it's self-serving. Luckily for us, "self-serving" can be a lot of things.

People are good when it's self-serving. Luckily for us, "self-serving" can be a lot of things.

I don't think people are inherently "good" or "bad," but I do think they are inherently cooperative rather than strictly self-serving (for moral good or ill.) Of course, cooperativeness is in one's best self-interest in the end.

I believe in Butter Pecan Ice cream and not much else.

R

Ohhh ya me too. Dove Butter Pecan is sin in a carton. :biggrin:

I myself have very complex and intense spirituality and beliefs. Born out of a hard life, much searching, questing and the ever present "knowing". Of course the wisdom and life-lived from previous lives informs much. :evil:

But I've never felt the need or point to randomly jabber about something so intensely personal and intimate. Others do, that's fine. I've also found most just don't care much hearing others spiritual side, or at least they're more interested in talking about themselves than listening. There's just too much where's, why's, when's and HOW about this with me....and yes I'm a very private person as well.

Of course I love to share and discuss in the right context or situation. Not just generally.

Not to burst your bubble, but studies like the Stanford Prison Experiment and the Milgram Experiment clearly suggest otherwise...as if episodes like the Holocaust and, really, any other full-scale genocide don't prove that on their own. Those atrocities were able to occur because entire countries either actively bought in or, at the very least, found a way to justify.

Swivel had it right the first time - People are good when it's self-serving. Luckily for us, "self-serving" can be a lot of things.

Actually, we are saying the same thing.

I said -inherently good- meaning the intention is to be "good", likewise, "good" is dependent and defined (at any moment) upon environmental norms at that moment, and most individuals will follow the direction most traveled, (by others).

Milgram Experiment was one of the first I researched in school, which brought my own road to psychology/criminal justice/social work, and one of my favorite.

On a side note...ethically speaking, someday lets talk about the Milgram experiment. I envy your knowledge, and feel like a fledgling...I could use a stimulating debate and knowledge input.

Last edited:
Actually, we are saying the same thing.

I said -inherently good- meaning the intention is to be "good", likewise, "good" is dependent and defined (at any moment) upon environmental norms at that moment, and most individuals will follow the direction most traveled, (by others).

Milgram Experiment is one of the first that drew me to psychology/criminal justice/social work, and it one of my favorite.

Relative good is simply a euphamism for "self-serving", which is why I choose to differentiate.

By your definition, slave holders and Nazis could be considered "good" based on the social norms of their period. Still, a smaller number of people hid Jews and aided the escape of slaves because, despite the social norms, they knew these practices were wrong. That is the definition of "good" that I reference - a far more objective version that is not reliant on environmental norms. It is the thing that causes people to put themselves in harms way to defy those norms, and it's not as common as I wish it were.

I believe I could be wrong. There are always at least two sides to every story. That's something I find most people are unwilling to admit.

I believe in balance. A plus here is a minus there. I guess it's also referred to as "the butterfly effect"?

I believe money and (organized) religion are the roots of all evil. Call me crazy, but every war can be traced back to one of these two things.

I believe money and (organized) religion are the roots of all evil. Call me crazy, but every war can be traced back to one of these two things.

How is money a problem? Don't you really mean that it is the human desire to hoard resources which leads to problems? Money is just a place-holder for work performed. A voucher. In another culture you could blame seashells, but don't we do this to pass the buck along (pun intended)?

It is a biological imperative to amass fortunes. That doesn't make it pretty, but blaming a cultural invention (or a culture itself) is an attempt to avoid the nastiness inherent in us all. It is the Leftist urge to cling at the notion of Rousseau's "Noble Savage", which was a farce. Our primate kin rape one another, mutilate children, lord possessions over one another, and the females use the promise of sex for material gain, only to withdraw at the last moment. And these aren't American chimps!

When we deny our nature, and blame the wrong culprit, we are preventing our self-improvement. By lying to one another, just to feel good in the NOW we are fucking our future. Honesty and a good will are key, let's give the duo a shot for one fucking generation, eh? We've tried each on their own, but never as a combo. And the Leftist urge to practice the latter without the former has always done more harm than good.

I believe in the inherent animal nature in all of us. Some of it is reasonable, like masturbation. Some of it generally unreasonable, like the urge to murder someone else kids to ensure your own genes/kids survival and domination. I believe it's much easier to be "bad" than "good" because we are programmed for it. And it has served our species well. Until now. Because we are beyond mere survival. Now we have to fight the hard part: Being animals. But I also believe in the intellect and will of the human spirit. At least some of us. And if we're lucky and smart enough we might achieve more mightily than we have so far. I'm hoping for it. It will be the only soothing thought I have before my death. Otherwise, whats the point of living?

How is money a problem? Don't you really mean that it is the human desire to hoard resources which leads to problems? Money is just a place-holder for work performed. A voucher. In another culture you could blame seashells, but don't we do this to pass the buck along (pun intended)?

It is a biological imperative to amass fortunes. That doesn't make it pretty, but blaming a cultural invention (or a culture itself) is an attempt to avoid the nastiness inherent in us all. It is the Leftist urge to cling at the notion of Rousseau's "Noble Savage", which was a farce. Our primate kin rape one another, mutilate children, lord possessions over one another, and the females use the promise of sex for material gain, only to withdraw at the last moment. And these aren't American chimps!

When we deny our nature, and blame the wrong culprit, we are preventing our self-improvement. By lying to one another, just to feel good in the NOW we are fucking our future. Honesty and a good will are key, let's give the duo a shot for one fucking generation, eh? We've tried each on their own, but never as a combo. And the Leftist urge to practice the latter without the former has always done more harm than good.

Sounds like someone has read "The Lucifer Principle". :cheers:

Back