• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-39696106
_95766400_mediaitem95766399.jpg

Wendy Thompson, 53, from Lincolnshire, had been trying to wish a friend happy birthday on the social media platform using her mobile phone.

Rodney Lewis, 84, was killed in the crash on London's North Circular Road on 3 February last year.

Thompson pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

Mr Lewis and his wife Marlene, 77, from Enfield, had stopped to help their 21-year-old grandson after his Ford Fiesta broke down and were trying to call a recovery vehicle when Thompson's car ploughed into the back of them.
[....]
She later told police it was her friend's birthday and she had been trying to send a message on Facebook.

When she realised the message had not been sent, she tried again. Thompson admitted the mobile phone had been in her hand at the time of the crash.

An investigator found Thompson, from Barnetby, would have had enough time to see the stationary vehicle and avoid the crash if she had not been distracted.

Tahir Khan QC, defending, said Thompson admitted her responsibility and would carry the guilt "for the rest of her life".

Thompson was sentenced to two years and three months in prison for causing death by dangerous driving and 15 months for causing serious injury by dangerous driving, to run concurrently.

She was disqualified from driving for 10 years.

If Pokemon Go can adjust it's app to not let people play while driving I don't see why Facebook can't do the same.

If Pokemon Go can adjust it's app to not let people play while driving I don't see why Facebook can't do the same.

Pokemon Go required the user to have GPS tracking on the entire time you are using the game since the game itself was dependent on location. Facebook does not have the same requirement, so it would not be able to determine when the user reaches a certain speed to shut down. If Facebook started to require GPS tracking for all users, it would add a significant drain to data plans and to battery life.

Plus, why shouldn't a passenger be able to use Facebook in a car? The app has no way of differentiating between the two. It's a nice idea but there isn't a good way of implementing such a policy at this time.

Pokemon Go required the user to have GPS tracking on the entire time you are using the game since the game itself was dependent on location. Facebook does not have the same requirement, so it would not be able to determine when the user reaches a certain speed to shut down. If Facebook started to require GPS tracking for all users, it would add a significant drain to data plans and to battery life.

Plus, why shouldn't a passenger be able to use Facebook in a car? The app has no way of differentiating between the two. It's a nice idea but there isn't a good way of implementing such a policy at this time.

Actually, the game just pings every few minutes to determine location and avoid the data drain. As a passenger you click around it. I realize that it wasn't a perfect suggestion, but I do believe there could be some pretty simple practices put into place to discourage use while driving, even if it doesn't completely prevent it.

Last edited:
Back