• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
I was guessing that was more of your intent than how I read it, so I figured I'd ask for clarification before I started hurling the raw hamburger meat.:p
Thank you. Some don't stop to think first...hence, the 100 or so Craps I got in under a month :(

It's fine to kill for food. I just have a problem with killing for sport and trophies.
Agree, but it's not illegal and this is all being sensationalized to sell news and Kimmel was so disgustingly over the top, that dude needs some serious therapy

Thank you. Some don't stop to think first...hence, the 100 or so Craps I got in under a month :(
I don't mind a good crap, if they tell you why
I hate the crap and run types, they don't have an opinion just diarrhea

I'm under no illusions regarding where meat comes from, I'm a committed carnivore. While I've no objection to hunting for food, I'm disgusted by trophy hunters and those who kill for fun.

I worked 5 years in a gun shop, there are people who hunt for the sheer thrill of killing, and loved to talk about what they did. Baiting bears with garbage, habituating them, then shooting them from a tree blind. Getting double ought buckshot for rabbits, because "I just like to watch them blow up." Point being, I'm not monolithic in my judgments. If you aren't going to eat it, and you aren't defending your life, don't kill needlessly.

Of course, that's my opinion, which is of no significance to anyone but myself.

Regarding the parentage of the cubs, I had assumed that information came from the Cambridge study, but haven't researched it, and should. Behaviorally, I don't know if the subordinate partner male has breeding privilege. One article that clarified the cooperative relationship between Cecil and Jericho said that Jericho had 3 lioness, but no cubs.

There are about 35,000 lions left in the wild, a pitiful number, and they aren't even safe in the parks, just the same as animals here. Cecil was significant as his pride was under study, but I am concerned when others are shot for fun as well.

I know about the exotic game hunts here in the U.S. it's something I have to put out of my mind, revolting, disgusting, and contemptible. There's nothing I can do about a mindset that defines that as fun.

Last, if Cecil took 40 hours to become sufficiently incapacitated to be shot, that was an especially poor bowshot.

Regarding the parentage of the cubs, I had assumed that information came from the Cambridge study, but haven't researched it, and should. Behaviorally, I don't know if the subordinate partner male has breeding privilege. One article that clarified the cooperative relationship between Cecil and Jericho said that Jericho had 3 lioness, but no cubs.

It's not exactly a subordinate/alpha setup between the males.

Lehmann, Monika B., et. al., Reproductive biology of a pride of lions on Karongwe Game Reserve, South Africa, Journal of African Zoology, July, 2008

"Any behaviour relating to reproductive biology was recorded."

"Both males were observed to father litters and alternated between mating opportunities (Male 1mated three times with F1 and four times with F2; and Male 2 mated five times with F1 and eight times with F2, n = 20). On two occasions the males alternated mating during individual periods of oestrus, although neither of these resulted in conception."

A new documentary exposes the dark side of a growing South African wildlife business...

Inside the Grim Lives of Africa's Captive Lions - National Geographic Society
Up to 7,000 lions are living behind bars in South Africa. Raised in captivity on private breeding farms and hunting “reserves,” some of these animals are petted as cubs by tourists, who can also walk alongside or even feed more mature lions.

Eventually, many are shot in “canned” hunts, in which lions are pursued and killed in confined areas that make them easy targets. Hunt fees can be as high as $50,000.

The hunters take lion skins and heads home as trophies. Lion bones and bodies are exported to Asia for traditional cures.

As new measures are put in place to clamp down on trade in the bones of endangered tigers, the lion bone trade grows. Substituting tiger with lion bone means that lionesses, as well as trophy males, now have commercial value.

The new documentary Blood Lions lays bare the dark underbelly of South Africa’s captive breeding and canned hunting industries. The film will be screened in Durban, South Africa on Wednesday at Africa’s leading film festival.

Owners of private breeding farms say that more hunting of captive-bred lions takes pressure off declining wild lion populations.

Not so, says Dr. Luke Hunter, president of Panthera, an organization dedicated to conserving endangered big cats. “This industry pumps out cats to be shot in cages or shipped to Asia to supply the demand for big cat parts. Blood Lions blows away the hollow ‘conservation’ arguments made by South Africa’s predator breeders to justify their grim trade.”

Read more HERE>>

Now I'm sad thinking that the one, precious to me, memory I have of being an eleven year old, and bottle feeding a lion cub, was maybe more "staged" then I ever thought it was. I thought their "gift" was unheard-of, and the Park staff certainly acted as though it was a rare, one-off, kind of situation. The Lion-keeper, I was told, over heard my parents telling another family that I was the only "non-teen" and therefore not invited to a party that the rest of my siblings were at. They took me to the Lion Park to distract me. Supposedly the staff took pity on me and let me do the "unthinkable" and let me cuddle and feed a lion cub. Now, 34 years later I wonder, was that ALL an act? :pout:

Yes. It was. It was all an act...and your parents never really loved you either.

2BBEA44900000578-3214434-image-a-4_1440784304048.jpg

Cecil's Revenge! PETA have released a Halloween costume that sees cecil's killing by Minnesota dentist Dr Walter Palmer, avenged. It is for sale for $139.99 with profits going to PETA - Source

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...zimbabwe-dentist-trophy-killing-a7411381.html
A high court in Zimbabwe has cleared a professional hunter in connection with the death of Cecil the lion.

The death of the animal – which was allegedly lured out of its home in Hwange National Park, shot with a bow and arrow and left to bled to death in July 2015 – provoked outrage around the world with many calling for an end to trophy hunting.

The US dentist who shot it, Walter Palmer, was forced to temporarily go into hiding after facing death threats and protests outside his practice in Bloomington, Minnesota.
[....]
the court ruled that Theo Bronkhorst, the professional hunter and guide who organised the trip, should not face criminal charges.

His lawyers successfully argued that the chargeof "failing to prevent an illegal hunt" was too vague to answer and although he had breached National Parks regulations this did not amount to a criminal offence, the BBC reported.

The charges against Mr Palmer had been dropped by the court in October 2015.
[....]

Back