• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
A 26-year-old man who strangled his mother in their County Down home during a psychotic episode will spend a minimum of five years in prison.

Viktors Arustamovs was sentenced at Belfast Crown Court for the unlawful killing of his mother Lija Arustamovs.

The 52-year-old was killed in their home on Main Street, Portavogie, on 12 December 2015.

The judge said Arustamovs suffered from an "untreated psychotic illness" at the time of the killing.

The court heard that the defendant strangled his mother as she lay in bed.

It also heard that Arustamovs took a break from strangling her but resumed when he heard a voice in his head telling him: "If you start, you have to finish."

The judge accepted the killing was not pre-meditated, that the defendant himself alerted the authorities and that he had expressed remorse.

It was also accepted that the defendant was suffering from a psychotic episode that "in all likelihood" was precipitated by drug use.

At an earlier hearing, the court was told Arustamovs came to Northern Ireland in 2011 from Latvia, and had worked on the fishing boats in Portavogie until 2015, when his psychotic problems started to manifest.

Just prior to his mother's death, Arustamovs had been living rough in Dublin and Belfast before returning to the County Down village.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38655726

Viktors Arustamovs was sentenced at Belfast Crown Court for the unlawful killing of his mother Lija Arustamovs.

Is there such a thing as a lawful killing? It seems like it should have just said "killing of his mother"

he heard a voice in his head telling him: "If you start, you have to finish."

Why can't these voices refer to things such as ...
School or Making a Patchwork Quilt :shrug: it always has to be so damn sinister.

he heard a voice in his head telling him: "If you start, you have to finish."

Why can't these voices refer to things such as ...
School or Making a Patchwork Quilt :shrug: it always has to be so damn sinister.

To be fair, there *are* probably voices that say similar things about school or making a patchwork quilt. Those instances just don't make the news or the courts......

I hear those same voices everytime I start eating a pizza, pie, cake, pan of brownies, bag of beef jerky...
I admit it...I am a monster inside.

Back