• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...animals-rescued-eastern-iowa-home/1041773001/
[....]
veterinarians and others were still counting and evaluating them Wednesday to get a handle on the rescue. Also on Wednesday, the homeowner denied the animals were malnourished or otherwise neglected.
[....]
“It was really heartbreaking,” he said, describing the work as "overwhelming." He called the animals' living conditions inhumane, with some animals living among carcasses and other animals found dead in a freezer.

Homeowner Barbara “Babs” Galkowski said in a phone interview Wednesday that the animals were not neglected or starving and she takes in rescue animals and breeds and shows guinea pigs. She accused authorities of exaggerating the number of animals who lived with her, her husband and four children ages 5 to 14.

“It was devastating," she said of the seizures at her West Sixth Street home in Vinton. "My daughter screamed. Those animals are like their children.”

The children have been removed from the home by the Department of Human Services and placed with family members in another community until case managers are satisfied that the home is safe for youths, Vinton Police Chief Ted Paxton said. The children were healthy, he said.

Galkowski called the execution of a search warrant at the home "bad timing," saying she recently received a large number of rescue animals and she was days behind in cleaning the cages because she had the flu. She said she does not sell animals but adopts them, something for which she said she was working on earning a license.

Humane society veterinarians had visually evaluated nearly 900 animals that were rescued Tuesday morning. Police have estimated they took up to 1,000 animals, including rabbits, chinchillas, turtles, fish, birds and a ball python. When they executed the search warrant, police said they found cages on top of cages of animals in the home and an attached garage.

Moore said there will be more than 1,000 animals after some of them give birth.

Police are still investigating and have not determined whether any criminal charges or civil sanctions will be filed.
[....]
When Moore walked through the front door, the home smelled like a livestock barn, he said. In the basement, where a majority of the animals lived in overcrowded cages, volunteers could smell dead animals, feces, urine and ammonia. None of the animals had clean water and few had food, Moore said. Volunteers found as many as 30 parakeets in one small cage.

“Every square inch you looked, you found more and more animals,” Moore said. “It was overwhelming.”

Veterinarians at the humane society are evaluating the dehydrated and thin animals, a majority of which have fungal infections, Moore said. Some rabbits have ringworm, and numerous animals have viral infections. A majority of the animals will need treatment for parasites.

The humane society has also claimed there was evidence that some of the animals have undergone surgery by an untrained person, something Galkowski denied.

Most of the animals recovered were guinea pigs and rabbits. Moore estimated about 10 to 20 animals were dead animals, and said he saw one rabbit — an herbivore — feeding on a dead rabbit in the same cage.

Dustin Vande Hoef, a spokesman with the Iowa Department of Agriculture, said Galkowski did not have license to sell, adopt or operate an animal rescue.

In December, Galkowski verbally asked Vinton City Administrator Chris Ward if the City Council could change zoning ordinances to allow her to sell snakes out of her home, he said. The council declined.

She said she told authorities she would give up her rescue animals, but she wants the others back. It's not uncommon for some animals, who are often in poor health upon arrival, to die, she said.

Galkowski and her husband, Marshall, also own 13 horses in Shellsburg, the city’s police chief said. The Benton County Sheriff’s Office has checked on the horses and has determined they are in good condition with plenty of shelter, food and water, Paxton said.

Moore described the situation as hoarding.
[....]
ADOPTIONS LIKELY: More than half of the animals sized Tuesday were taken to the Cedar Valley Humane Society, which hopes to gain full possession of the animals and put them up for adoption, said Preston Moore, the director. Another nearly 400 animals were taken to the Wild Thunder Animal Rescue.

HOW TO DONATE: In an average year, the humane society takes in 2,000 animals; the number discovered Tuesday has proved stressful for Moore’s staff and volunteers. For now, the shelter is accepting donations, such as money and small animal cages and bedding, to help the animals that were seized.

Video at the link but couldn't embed the url. No pics because they all had a little "buy photo" tag on them.

I love guinea pigs ... they're so cute. I had one when i was an addict, she was the only thing i took care of. I got her from my landlord, the murderer (he lived in the basement and i rented the top of his house) He kept her in the dark, and never cleaned her cage ... she had really long curly finger nails ... I yelled at him for it and took her upstairs ... i had her for about four years, She died about two and half years into my recovery ... I was in my thirties and cried like a baby. The land lord died too ... OD'd on opiates. I wrapped her in pink and purple tissue paper and buried her in a New Balance shoe box.

That bunny was hungry, very ,very, hungry.:(

Why do people do this, they think they are helping when all they are doing is killing the ones they think they are saving.

And trying to deny how many animals they had, even if the cops were wrong on it being upwards to 1000, they wouldn't have been that wrong. To me 8-10 is way over the linit, 1000 is just mindblowing.:(:(:(:(:(

Galkowski called the execution of a search warrant at the home "bad timing," saying she recently received a large number of rescue animals and she was days behind in cleaning the cages because she had the flu.
Fuck you.

The shelter I worked at usually house 700 to 900 animals and we had a full staff of 10 people constantly cleaning, watering and feeding.

That bunny was hungry, very ,very, hungry.:(

Why do people do this, they think they are helping when all they are doing is killing the ones they think they are saving.

And trying to deny how many animals they had, even if the cops were wrong on it being upwards to 1000, they wouldn't have been that wrong. To me 8-10 is way over the linit, 1000 is just mindblowing.:(:(:(:(:(
I wonder how many of them were guppies in tanks since it did say they took fish also. I hated those things growing up. We couldn't get rid of them as fast as they reproduced.

Barbara.
Her name is Barbara.
Can't make this shit up.
On Facebook there's a page called FurBaby Jesus. Used to be cool before the current bimbo took over.
Anyway, the original person named all the hoarders Barbara.
I'm dead.

Sick, sick family.
I cannot even process this much abuse of animals in one location.
aaannnnd here comes the crying.
fuk.

Sickest part of this shit for sure. Who the fuck? I mean how the fuck? Pretending to be an animal rescue is one thing, but pretending to be a vet who knows how to operate? Fucking sick!
[doublepost=1517064277,1517064241][/doublepost](Clearly I have no idea how to use the quote thing)

I still want to know how many of each kind of animal was involved. 800 guppies shouldn't be 800 animals.

Latest posts

Back