• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

araisner

GRAPHIC PHOTOS: 1, 2 (also in video at link)

http://www.newson6.com/story/29640390/mother-two-vinita-boys-severely-sunburned-during-daycare-trip

VINITA, Oklahoma -

An Oklahoma mother says her two young sons were severely sunburned while in the care of a Vinita daycare.

Shaunna Broadway says the 'Happiness Is A Learning Center' let her 5- and 7-year-old sons play outside Friday without shirts or sunscreen. When the boys got home their mother says they were crying and large, painful blisters had formed on their backs and shoulders.

"They didn't put no sunscreen on them and no shirt and when I asked them about it, they claimed they were out of sunscreen and that they told the kids to put on their shirts, but they didn't want to leave them on," Broadway said.

Broadway says her boys were sent home from two different hospitals with pain medication and cream, but says neither provided her sons with relief.

"Then things got worse, especially with my oldest one. He started to started to complain of chest pains and not being able to breathe and his chest started swelling," she said.

That's when Broadway took her boys to the Hillcrest Medical Center Burn Unit in Tulsa. Within 10 minutes, she says she was told her sons needed to be life-flighted to Shriner's Hospital in Texas, which has children's facility that specializes in burns.

Seven-year-old Conner Harvey and his 5-year-old brother, Tray Wells, are being treated for second and third-degree sunburns.​

It seems DHS and the Vinita Police Department are investigating, but no formal charges yet.

oh my freakin' god. I can't even imagine how i'd react to something like that. And how in the hell can a daycare center not be aware of the dangers of over-exposure to the sun in TEXAS of all places.

OhhhEEEE that's a bad burn!!! They're lucky to go to the Shriner's Burn Center, but my GAWD I'd wish they never got burned at all! Crazy day care people better have insurance. :mad:

Omg. That is some HORRIBLE sunburn. They were life flighted to Shriners burn center!!!

I would totally flip shit. My mini has sunblock in his bag and knows to ask for help reapplying it. He is 8...

That daycare was NEGLEGENT. Period

Holy COW! I have never in my life seen a sunburn that bad and I live in Georgia and have all my life, never, ever, ever! I hope that daycare is closed, like immediaely cause they obviously don't understand the relationship between sun and sunburned. Somebody would be dead if that was my son. THE END, no ifs ands or buts about it, dead!

I feel even worse for the kids after reading their mother's fb. And someone responded as if they could read that mess of nonsense.
https://m.facebook.com/shaunna.broadway?tsid=0.29965963773429394&source=typeahead

JuS cUz u tAk3 "mArri3d" oFF uR fb do3s nT chAng3 dA fAcT u stIll r jUs m3ans uR trYinA hiD3 soM3thinG...bUt r3m3mb3r GOD s33s n kwZ aLL..inCludiN dA fAct u hAv3 nO groUnds spiRituAlly tO divoRc3 m3 n u k iT...u'll hAv3 2 answ3r 2 GOD fO iT,& sO wiLL tHos3 coNdoNing u 2 dO suCh wh3n bibLicAlly wRonG,u dnT jUs thrOw uR mArriAg3 awAy w3n crAp hiTs dA fAn ,iTz a lif3tiM3 cov3nanT mAd3 tO m3,dA kidS,& abOv3 aLL GOD,i v3 doN3 nuThiNg tO d3s3rv3 diS n dA fAct oF mAtt3r iS ev3ry1 kwz dA r3al r3asoNinG y uR doiN diS...y3a ev3ry1 elS3 n33ds ta k dA trUth 2,dA mAn i v3 b33n WiTh fO 3yrs l3ft ov3r stupid argum3nt n hAs b33n goN3 fO ov3r 3mnths anD nOw wAnts divoRc3 b3cuZ d3cid3d h3 lik3s g3ttin tO hAng wiT hiS fri3nds n dO wAt h3 wAnts v3rs3s haVin a fAmil3y tO tAk3 cAr3 oF,& h3s gOt anUth3r woMan h3s infAtuat3d wiT 2oO muCh tO wAk3 uP n list3n tO gOd tryNa t3ll hiM mAk3 diS riGht,oR dA fAct h3 s gOt 3 kiDs n a wiF3 cryiN th3ir s3lf tA sl33p ev3ryniGht @ hoM3 pRayiN n hopiN h3d wAk3 uP n do wAts righT ! Now dnT g3t m3 wroNg i v3 hAd mY fAir shAr3 oF imp3rf3ctioNs n diS mArriAg3 bUt nuThin cloS3 2 h3ll iv3 b33n thRu fO diS mAn..n y3t ev3n aft3r aLL dA cuRR3nt pAin ev3n puT m3 thRu i v3 duN nuthiNg bUt trY tA mAk3 mY wroNgs n siTiuAtiOn riGhT(whiCh r nUthin n3ar excus3 fo divoRc3 etc..) trY n shOw hiM wAt gOds chAng3d n m3 thRu aLL diSn jUs figHt fO dis toOth n nAil,shOw hiM uncondiTionAl lov3,gO abOv3 n b3yoNd yA shOw mY lov3 fO hiM ev3n w3n tr3atiN m3 lik3 scUm oF dA eArth..fO wAt ?! H3 knOws aS w3ll aS m3 n hAs sAid suCh oUttA owN mOutH dAt gOd puT/oRdaiN3d us 2g3th3r..bUt y3t chOsin tA l3t dA en3my wiN iN mor3 wAys d3n 1. H3 wAnts tO puT oFF a frAsaug3 oF a dotiNg huSbAnd n fAth3r truTh iS h3s prov3n ev3rythiNg oPposiT3..h3s broK3n ev3ry voW,pRomis3,woRd h3 Ev3r mAd3...u mAy thiNk u hAv3 pPl foOl3d buT thR iS thos3 dAt k dA trUth inCludiN m3 n abOv3 aLL gOd...i pRay GOD g3ts ahLdA u sOon n u wAk3 uP b4 iTs 2oO lAt3 !! B3YOnD hUrt n broK3n dnT und3rstAnd....aLL dA promis3s,li3s..i dnT k dA mAn u r n3mor3,nT dA mAn i k,DaT GOD pUt m3 wiTh dAt i mArri3d..h3 wlDa n3v3r duN n3 oF thiS..hOw dO i l3t gO oF soM3thiNg GOD gAv3 m3 ? HoW dO i aCc3pt aN enD tO a GOD giv3n pRomis3? HoW am i suPpos3d tO wrAp mY h3ad rnD diS w3n i stiLL lov3 u d3spiT3 ev3rything n k wAt GOD int3nd3d fO uS, 3 kids whO dnT und3rstAnd y dAddy promis3d thiNgs ev3n tO th3m n li3d ?? HoW dA p3rsoN dAt oNc3 mAd3 m3 f33l sO lov3d,cAn cAus3 sO muCh huRt n pAin n nOt ev3n caR3...u v3 mAd3 ev3ry f3ar i stOod oN,ev3ry r3asOning i hAd wAlls uP w3n firsT m3t proviN n evid3nt...tA k dA paiN b33n thru n mY lif3 n promis3 n3v3r tO mAk3 m3 f33l dAt agAin n u r...tim3s x10...

If I may.

Just because you take "married" off your fb doesn't change the fact you still are, it just means your trying to hide something. But remember god sees and knows all, including the fact that you have no grounds spiritually to divorce me and you know it. You'll have to answer to god for it, and so will those condoning you to do such when it's biblically wrong. You don't just throw your marriage away when crap hits the fan; it's a lifetime covenant made to me, our kids, and above all god. I've done nothing to deserve this and the fact of the matter is everyone knows the real reasoning why you're doing this.

Yeah, everyone else needs to know the truth, too. The man I've been with for years left over a stupid arguement and has been gone for over (?) months, and now wants a divorce because he decided he likes getting to hang with his friends and doing what he wants versus having a family to take care of. Also, he's got another woman that he's infatuated with too much to wake up and listen to god trying to tell him to make this right. Or the fact that he's got kids and a wife crying their self to sleep every night at home praying and hoping he'd wake up and do what's right.

Now don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of imperfections in this marriage but nothing close to to the hell I've been through for this man and yet even after all this current pain he put me through, I've done nothing but try to make my wrongs and my situation right. (Which are no excuse for divorce, et cetera.) I've tried to show him what god has changed in me through all of this and I've tried to fight for this tooth and nail, to show him unconditional love and go above and beyond to show my love for him even when he's treating me like the scum of the earth. For what?! He knows as well as I do and has said as much that god put/ordained us together. Yet, he's choosing to let the enemy win in more way than one.

He wants to put off the facade of a doting husband and father but truth is that he's proven to be anything but. He's broken every vow, promise and word he ever made. You may think you have people fooled, but there are those that know the truth, including myself and above all, god. I pray god gets a hold of you soon and wakes you up before it's too late!!

Beyond hurt and broken. I don't understand. All of the promise, lies... I don't know the man you are anymore. You're not the man I knew, that god put with me, that I married. He would have never done any of this. How do I lett go of something that god gave me? How do I accept an end to a god-given promise? How am I supposed to wrap my head around this when I still love you, despite everything and knowing what god intended for us? The kids, who don't understand why daddy promised things to them and lied? How that person that once made me feel so loved, can cause so much hurt and pain and not even care. You've made every fear I stood on, every reason I had walls up when we first met proven evident. To know the pain I've been through in my life and promise to never make me feel that way again, only to do that ten times worse.

Okay, my brain hurts a bit from roughly translating all of that hot mess.

I tried reading it and got about a third of the way thru and my brain gave up. Why do folks write like this? Seems to be it takes more energy to capitalize random letters and throw in 3s and such than it would be to just write it correctly.

Going by what I did read, I think the person that wrote this is intellegent and could spell if they wanted to, it sounds very well written and not all random like some things we read. Just why? Writing it like this makes no sense to me unless you don't want anyone to actually read it.

If I may.

You did a great job! I couldn't even begin. She should have written it like that. Seems like all that gibberish would have been much easier to type the way you did it. Is there an app that capitalizes random letters and adds numbers? Why would one purposely type like that? I feel like I need answers! Lol

63WqPE3.jpg

http://www.buzzfeed.com/carolinekee/graphic-sunburns

“I dropped them off at Happiness Is a Learning Center at 9 a.m., and that day they were going to Splash Pad, a local water park,” Broadway told BuzzFeed Life.

“I got off work at 5 p.m. and went to pick them up, and they were clearly burned. [The employees] were actually making fun of my older son, because both boys got sunburns but he was being a ‘baby’ and crying about it,” she said.

“It was common sense that they shouldn’t have been out in the sun all day, even if they wore their clothes,” Broadway said. “The heat index was 118 degrees in Vinita that day. The news was telling us not to be outside.”

dQyLSHl.png

Both boys had second-degree burns, but her oldest suffered third-degree burns as well. “My oldest is a redhead so he’s more fair-skinned and his burn was much worse,” his mom said.

QUJZDlm.jpg

Broadway said. “They’re getting better but it’s definitely taking time and it’s been really hard seeing them in so much pain and not sleeping…it’s a lot for a mom right now.”

“My kids need a voice — I’m that voice, and I just want justice for them,” their mom added. “And I don’t want this to ever happen to anyone else.”

I gotta hand it to her, it sounds like her boys are her life and that's a lot more than could be said for many of the parents we see featured here.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-two-sons-flown-hospital-Texas-blisters.html
  • Mother Shaunna Broadway of Vinita, Oklahoma, saw that her two sons were burned after Happiness Is a Learning Center took them to water park
  • Pain continued despite creams and medication, and Conner, 7, and Tray, 5, had to be flown to hospital in Galveston, Texas, for treatment
  • Children's grandfather says that skin grafts have been discussed
  • Center, which has been cited 19 times by the Department of Human Services in the last 10 months, said they had run out of sunscreen
  • Daycare now under investigation by DHS and the Vinita police
The children's grandfather Wayne Broadway told Daily Mail Online that the burnt skin had been removed from both the boys and that they were now in wraps that were being changed regularly.

Skin grafts have been discussed as a possibility if the condition of the burns does not improve, he said.

The elder Broadway is heading down to Galveston Tuesday morning to be with his daughter, who has faced the challenge alone with her boys.

'Apparently the swelling and pain on his back was so bad that he was having pressure on his chest,' she told Buzzfeed.

Broadway is seen trying to comfort her children as they yell in pain and complain that their burns itch.

In one graphic photo Conner is seen with a very large blister on his back, surrounded by anti-burn Silvadene cream that has become cracked as blisters form beneath it.

The children are expected to be in Galveston for up to five days.​

Video of the two little ones at the hospital at link. Poor things.

Holy shit. I didn't even know the sun could cause blisters like that. Those were huge. Those poor boys. Good thing they have a good mom.

Yeah, this is in my neck of the woods. Happened in NE Oklahoma (I am in SE Kansas) and it has been WAY TOO HOT to have small kids outside. We live 3 blocks from the pool here and have a pass, but we don't go more than 2-3 hours and use SPF 50 sunscreen and are Native American and less likely to burn.

I am NOT NOT NOT blaming the mom, but I know in the Spring when my girl has outside activities at school they send a note asking us to send sunscreen and apply it at home before she leaves. This "daycare" (more like Child Torture Center) is a fucking POS! "Running out" of sunscreen when you KNEW there was a trip to a water park coming up??? Not asking for parents to send some from home? What if the SPF wasn't high enough if the center provided it? What if it caused a rash if the day care provided it??

There is no excuse and it makes me want to make the 47 miles trip to Vinita and kick somebody's ass!

this makes my heart break - so not ok, I saw this on FB this morning and my stomach flipped when I saw the pics... UGH

This is soooo fucked up. The day care needs to be shut down. I got blistered sun burn on my nose once, just my nose and that shit was awful. These poor boys. For once, I hope mom sues the daycare!

Center, which has been cited 19 times by the Department of Human Services in the last 10 months, said they had run out of sunscreen

Why was this fucking place still open then. If they were waiting until something really serious happened, they succeeded. :punch:

I had an older cousin who fell asleep on the beach and burned so badly he had blisters all over. We had gone to Georgia to visit them and he was lying in the bed with just underwear on and a fan blowing on him. He couldn't do anything else.

WATER. That explains why they were so burned! It amplifies the sun's rays and increases burning. That daycare had no business letting children swim unprotected in the sun all day long! This happened to my dad's feet when we went to Myrtle Beach. He wore sunscreen and shirts but forgot to do the tops of his feet and burned them as he walked up and down the beach. His feet were so swollen and blistered that he had to go home in the back seat with his feet propped up.

@DIAFplease , have you seen UV protection swim wear for children? I wear the adult equivalent when I'm on vacation as it's extremely protective and durable in the water. This boy's suit is by Coolibar and has built-in SPF50+ protection. You'll still need to get their face, ears, and arms but it protects the back and shoulders, where bad burns often happen.

http://www.coolibar.com/product/UV-...-Surf-Shirt/pc/2223/c/2284/sc/2292/156343.uts

Coolibar%20boys%20swim%20outfit_zpsk8sl1ktu.jpg

Broadway says her boys were sent home from two different hospitals with pain medication and cream, but says neither provided her sons with relief.

"Then things got worse, especially with my oldest one. He started to started to complain of chest pains and not being able to breathe and his chest started swelling," she said.

That's when Broadway took her boys to the Hillcrest Medical Center Burn Unit in Tulsa. Within 10 minutes, she says she was told her sons needed to be life-flighted to Shriner's Hospital in Texas, which has children's facility that specializes in burns.

What sort of hospitals were these first two places that they didn't realise how serious this was?

Your translation didn't make it any less pathetic and dumb. If anything it's worse, cuz now i can actually understand just how dumb this person is.

Anyways, hopefully this was a financially successful daycare and not just some podunk hick type of deal, unless they had solid insurance, so she can get a decent payday out of it.

The kids will heal and be fine, ginger one likely would have gotten hideous moles and freckles and sunspots and some form of skin cancer at some point anyways, so this doesn't change much for him in the grand scheme of things. Terrible they're hurtin now though.

The sun is deadly. Blows my mind how people continue to tan, either outside or via abooth, or simply don't wear sunscreen. And yes, i too wear a shirt to go swimming, mindblowing how peoples vanity outweighs their concern for their physical well being(and future vanity, which they'd be smart to take into account). Gotta show off my body in my skimpy bikini and whatnot, fucking impractical, obscene, and dangerous. People are fuckin idiots.

Last edited:
Back