• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://jalopnik.com/truckload-of-ai...ource=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
A woman was killed in her home by an explosion Monday morning involving a truckload of airbag detonation triggers which was on its way to a Takata automotive parts plant, according to multiple reports.

According to Conexion Del Rio, 69 year-old Lucila Robles was killed in her home following by the explosion of a truckload of airbag detonators that crashed in front of the house.
[....]
According to authorities the woman, who lived alone at her home located on U.S. Highway 277, near the intersection with FM 1666, was alone Monday morning, when the truck came off the road, caught on fire and exploded just in front of the structure.

The truck, hauling a flatbed trailer loaded with airbag cartridges, was traveling from Del Rio to the Takata plant in Eagle Pass, Texas. The driver of the truck, identified as Mario Alberto Rodriguez, 20-years-of-age, was injured along with a passenger. They were able to flee the truck before the blast.

An older couple, traveling in a Toyota SUV, was also injured during the explosion. All four injured victims were transported to a hospital in Eagle Pass, and later airlifted to San Antonio.

The woman was initially reported missing, but the two-day search for her ended when dental pieces found at the scene of the explosion were discovered to be Roberts.

Takata, the company now infamous for an airbag defect cover-up that led to the deaths of 13 confirmed people, the injuries of hundreds more and one of the largest recalls in history involving nearly 100 million vehicles, operates a plant in Eagle Pass, Texas which is where the truck involved in the explosion was reportedly headed.

Pieces of the exploded truck were reportedly found up to a mile from the blast location, and ten surrounding homes were damaged. The highway was closed for 30 hours to repair the crater damage.

The Texas Department of Safety is investigating the cause of the explosion, and according to News4SA.com, officials confirmed it wasn’t caused by a collision.

Jalopnik has reached out to Takata to confirm that the airbag parts loaded on truck were the company’s supplies, and will update this post with more information as we have it.

Update: Here’s the statement from a Takata spokesperson:

“A truck carrying airbag inflators and propellant that was being operated by a subcontractor to Takata was involved in an accident. According to preliminary reports, the accident caused a fire, which led to an explosion. Takata immediately deployed personnel to the site and has been working closely with the subcontractor and the appropriate authorities to investigate this incident. Takata has strict safety procedures relating to the transportation of its products that meet or exceed all regulatory requirements. Our thoughts are with the family of the woman who died as a result of this accident, and with the four people injured, who were immediately transported to San Antonio for medical treatment.”

There's another plant that manufactures airbags and propellants and also makes munitions for the US Government, in other words your soldier, husband, brother, sister, etc, are using these things and they have been caught changing lot numbers and scraping identifying labels off of bad lots.

My sweet husband worked there as QA and they were working around him to falsify records and defraud the government. He went to work one day and found the whole Alphabet there, ATF, CIA, FBI, he testified twice in front of a grand jury, but was found not at fault since they were working it so that he never got anywhere close to the non working parts. In other words he was QA in name only, and only because the military wouldn't buy from them if there wasn't QA in place. Their motto was/is "Fuck it, ship it".

Pyrotechnic Specialties, Inc. Byron Georgia. Article from 2009
http://www.macon.com/news/article28559191.html

This past April, investigators alleged that Pyrotechnic Specialties had relabeled flash-bang grenades that were faulty, claiming that they met military standards. The case had been set to go to trial next week.

According to court documents, however, federal prosecutors moved during a pretrial conference Friday that the case be dismissed, and U.S. District Judge C. Ashley Royal agreed.

No order for dismissal has been filed, but a “minute entry” from the conference filed Monday afternoon indicated that a ruling from Royal is forthcoming. The entry recounting Friday’s proceedings states that an assistant U.S. attorney “moves for dismissal of the indictment without prejudice. Court concurs.” A finding “without prejudice” would allow the issues resulting in such disposition to be raised again in the future.

I would not be surprised in the least if the same people were involved here in some capacity.

Last edited:
A 20 year old driving a semi full of explosives?

I wonder what qualifications one needs to do that in Texas. I wonder if the training includes attempting to alert nearby people of the danger of your rig being on fire.

294ie4i.jpg

Last edited:
A 20 year old driving a semi full of explosives?

I wonder what qualifications one needs to do that in Texas. I wonder if the training includes attempting to alert nearby people of the danger of your rig being on fire.

294ie4i.jpg
Usually the minimum age for a class A CDL is 21. You have to be 21 to get your hazmat endorsement. However, they say nothing about the size of the truck. Just a truck pulling a trailer. Could jave been a pickup for all we know.

Usually the minimum age for a class A CDL is 21. You have to be 21 to get your hazmat endorsement. However, they say nothing about the size of the truck. Just a truck pulling a trailer. Could jave been a pickup for all we know.

Thanks. I thought it would be something like that.

A couple of articles say it was an 18 wheeler. Another one says it was a flatbed trailer.

The video here has images of what looks like the remnants of a 53 foot van with the fifth wheel ripped off. This was a semi.

And from the same article I linked to:
According to Ruben Carrillo with The News Gram, both the driver of the 18-wheeler and the driver of the other car were transported to Ford Duncan Regional Medical Center in Eagle Pass. The passengers of both vehicles were transported by AirLIFE to San Antonio.

--Al

Latest posts

Back