• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

EchaSez

Hope is the thing with feathers.
10/25/17

Tom Morgan, from Bristol, reached heights of 8,000ft while strapped to a camping chair.

The 38-year-old had spent two days inflating balloons before his flight.

He initially attempted to fly from Botswana but after several failed attempts, the challenge was moved to South Africa.

45A850ED00000578-0-image-a-8_1508910485360.jpg

Tom, who has lived in Bristol for 15 years and runs an adventure company, told the BBC: ‘The problem was finding a good weather window and it was difficult to protect the balloons as they kept bursting.

On his eighth attempt, with just enough helium left, Tom was successful.

He described the feeling as ‘magical’ and ‘unbelievably cool’ but did admit that he felt ‘somewhere between terrified and elated’.

As the balloons drifted towards the inversion layer of the atmosphere, where the temperature rises, he said the flight started to accelerate very quickly.

He said: ‘I had to keep my cool and start gradually cutting the balloons.’

Tom wants to eventually set up a competitive helium balloon race in Africa...

https://www.google.com/amp/metro.co...nly-balloons-and-a-camping-chair-7025394/amp/

This was done in the '80's by a guy celebrating his birthday. Regulated his altitude by taking out balloons with a bb gun, but this was near San Jose CA, and he was in the approach for the airport. Commercial pilot was not fucking amused to see a guy floating in a chaise lounge. Having the benefit of distance, the mental image just slayed me.

8000 feet up is the safest, and no doubt least stinkiest, way to travel the shithole trash nation of South Africa.

What fucking scum on the ground in that place. Absolute fucking filth.

He's going to die doing shit like that.

I hope I die doing something like that one day. But after I meet my great grandchildren and I'm just done with this life.
[doublepost=1509168509,1509168368][/doublepost]
8000 feet up is the safest, and no doubt least stinkiest, way to travel the shithole trash nation of South Africa.

What fucking scum on the ground in that place. Absolute fucking filth.

You're a f*cking idiot. Africa is the birthplace of the human race. Have more respect for the motherland.

Back