1. Before creating a thread in the Reality Bites forums, please read the following guidelines so you do not risk the wrath of the administrators and possibly lose the privilege of creating threads. We want everyone to take part in spreading the shitty news, but let's do it in a way that keeps Morbid from fielding takedown notices.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. If you tried signing up and were receiving the following message: "This action is available via POST only. Please press the back button and try again." Please retry as this was being caused by an outdated plugin.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox
    Dismiss Notice

Thousands Expected At Monday Funeral For 25-year-old Baltimore Man Who Died In Police Custody

Discussion in 'In The Mean Time' started by Amandascott, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Amandascott

Amandascott Active Member

Credit:
    $187.00
    BALTIMORE – Thousands were expected Monday at a funeral for a man who died after sustaining serious spinal injuries while in the custody of Baltimore police.

Funeral services were planned for 11 a.m. EDT Monday for Freddie Gray, the 25-year-old black man who died April 19 after an encounter days earlier with police left him with grave spinal injuries. Pastor Jamal Bryant, who was to deliver Gray's eulogy, said he expected Baltimore's New Shiloh Baptist Church to be filled for the service. A cemetery burial was to follow.

In Washington, the White House said the head of President Barack Obama's initiative for young men of color would attend. Broderick Johnson, chairman of the My Brother's Keeper Task Force and a Baltimore native, is to be joined by two other administration officials, a White House statement said.
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/04/2...al-for-25-year-old-baltimore-man-who-died-in/

• Thanks Thanks x 10
  2. carolinablue

carolinablue float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Credit:
    $8,325.57
    Second decade of the 21st century and we're STILL doing this shit? Are the fuck heads on BOTH sides trying to bring back the 50's and 60's? Really? I gotta live thru this shit AGAIN? I am too fucking old to march, and someone would have to boost me up on the barricades. Anyway, I don't want to go to jail anymore. Food there sucks.

I'm pissed at the whole bunch of them...cops, protesters, bystanders, community leaders...all of them! Soundbites and their faces on the tv; THAT'S their goal. A silent protest, where you hold your sign and sit QUIETLY outside; that's the way. The simple sight of so many people sitting silently is pretty powerful. You may think I'm blowing smoke, but I'm not; it's a "stop and make you think" sight.

And nobody gets hurt and nothing gets destroyed.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Thanks x 1
    • Awesome Response! x 1
    • Show The Love x 1
  3. Jessiesgirl1108

Jessiesgirl1108 Chameleon Bold Member!

Credit:
    $11,447.40
    This is right in my neck of the woods. Protests have been going on downtown, looting, fighting people just looking for a reason to tear our city down. It's sad they are using what happened to this poor man to turn this into a race war in the heart of Baltimore instead of fighting the real issue of our government turning the states in this country into 'police states'. It's amazing all the secret racists of all colors who come out of the woodworks during a time like this. What they all fail to realize is that by dividing us 'THEY' win...'United We Stand, Divided We Fall'

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/u...s-in-protest-of-freddie-grays-death.html?_r=0

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Satanica

Satanica Trusted Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $241,803.70
    I've been in a riot, and it's no fun at all. I was also amazed at how fast and far I could run, only stopping to warn shopkeepers who had their wares outside on the sidewalk. Suddenly, my decision to park the car at the end of town farthest away from the demonstration seem like a stroke of genius.

• Like Like x 5
    • Awesome Response! Awesome Response! x 1
    • Show The Love Show The Love x 1
  5. Krystal

Krystal Trusted Member

Credit:
    $2,526.14
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Awesome Response! Awesome Response! x 3
  6. carolinablue

carolinablue float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

Credit:
    $8,325.57
    carolinablue is at DefCon1,000,000

This is an insult to the memory of Mr Grey. A tragedy has become a travesty. How horrible for his family; to have their beloved's death exploited by fame whores and trouble makers.I may not make too much sense; I'm so outraged I just want to go yell at the whole city. I can't imagine grieving the loss of a loved one, and having THIS in their faces all day and night.

I'm pissed off with everyone in Baltimore. I'm pissed off at the cops, pissed off at the protesters, pissed off at the media and pissed off at the bystanders. This is not a protest, it's a bunch of race baiters on both sides fomenting violence and encouraging lawlessness. And the people rioting are destroying their own neighborhoods and businesses; they are thugs, not advocates for justice.

I want to form a multicultural, multiracial Grandparents Brigade! All us old folks who saw it done RIGHT in our youth need to organize and show these punks how it's done. Without violence, without name-calling; with justice for all and malice toward none. WE DID IT. Why can't the young'uns learn from us? We need another Reverend Dr King, and look what we get instead..

• Awesome Response! Awesome Response! x 3
    • Show The Love Show The Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. gatekeeper

gatekeeper Loves the "Funny" Button

Credit:
    $16,170.93
    A big thanks to @Cameray for the tip off on this awesome clip:

For anyone who didn't catch it, the one and only Jon Stewart, political 'fun-dit' from Comedy Central's, "The Daily Show" spoke his mind (and a hell of a lot more, lol) on the Baltimore Riots and how things were handled overall in light of all the recent problems with/questions re: police-brutality, urban rioting, and a general sense of unrest between law enforcement and the citizenry in many American towns and cities.

No matter where your politics lie, he does a beautiful job of summing it up and speaking about some very important solutions to help restore some peace and trust between both the police and the civilian population.

• Thanks Thanks x 5
    • Awesome Response! Awesome Response! x 4
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  8. McDanel

McDanel Well-Known Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $17,050.51
    His spine was injured when they arrested him. He was thrashing in the van to make noise and get help. When they pulled him out and hogtied him it was all over, spine severed. Just my suspicion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JackBurton

JackBurton Well-Known Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $45,501.57
    did this guy have a record? Did the life he led warrant a funeral reception like this?

These people are all idiots.

Sounds like the gov't stormtroopers fucked up big time though, hope they go down hard for it and the victims family gets filthy rich.

Their mayor is hot as fuck though.

10. Amandascott

Amandascott Active Member

Credit:
    $187.00
    Baltimore City State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby stepped up to the podium Friday at 10:30am. She stood in front of the city’s war memorial and announced what much of the crowd wanted to hear: her office had filed 20 separate charges (including murder and manslaughter) and issued arrest warrants for six Baltimore police officers involved in the death of Freddie Gray, hopefully bringing to an end the rioting and looting that had gripped Baltimore—and spread to other cities—over the last week.
    http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015...-may-not-be-able-to-convict-police-on-murder/

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. gatekeeper

Credit:
    $16,170.93
    [​IMG]

http://www.kmbc.com/national/attorneys-call-for-baltimore-prosecutor-to-be-dismissed/32896740

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. gatekeeper

Credit:
    $16,170.93
    [​IMG]

The legality of Freddie's knife

http://www.kmbc.com/national/was-freddie-grays-knife-legal/32852098

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. JackBurton

Credit:
    $45,501.57
    Such bullshit how these 2 cops are being railroaded. I'm all for some form of administrative punishment or even firing them for arresting someone due to their ignorance of the laws they're required to enforce, but criminal charges like these? Give me a fucking break. How many other arrests in the city SHOULD be leading to similar charges for numerous other officers? I'm betting a shit ton. Fuck, wouldn't any time a defense attorney got somebody off prove that the original arrest was uncalled for and thus, essentially illegal, i mean if you want ride the slippery slope this shit's setting up to its extreme? These cops are only receiving these charges cuz of the public rampaging, it's appeasement of assholes, nothing more.

If these cops took no part in the actual excessive force that killed Gray, then they shouldn't be charged with crimes. Focus the attention on the actual murderers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Macabre

Macabre Cry Me A River Bold Member!

Credit:
    $8,205.51
    Everyone that had anything to do with this is going to be made an example of, fair or not.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. gatekeeper

Credit:
    $16,170.93
    Baltimore fears repeat of riots if Ofcr. William Porter is acquitted
    (Video report, captioned pics of prev. riots & more @ link below)

[​IMG]

William Porter first pic bottom left.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ed-freddie-gray-death-trial-article-1.2450128

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  16. gatekeeper

Credit:
    $16,170.93
    Closing arguments

Video, pics & more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ed-casket-wheels-prosecutor-article-1.2465326

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  17. gatekeeper

Credit:
    $16,170.93
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  18. Satanica

Satanica Trusted Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $241,803.70
    http://hosted2.ap.org/txdam/2328593...4a7e388?_ga=1.118995913.1358762430.1459539429

Trial for cop in case of man who died after police van ride

• Thanks Thanks x 3
  19. Valasca

Valasca Death, horror, torture Bold Member!

Credit:
    $27,966.74
    Nero found not guilty.
    I think they want Bmore in ashes.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  20. Victoria

Victoria Intrepid Sojourner Bold Member!

Credit:
    $34,527.90
    ... :popcorn:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: May 23, 2016
  21. JackBurton

Credit:
    $45,501.57
    Hopefully the Gray family gets filthy fucking rich off this at least. I figure no matter what these cops will lose their jobs, city will have to lay a shit ton of stormtroopers off after the damage the incoming lawsuit does.

If that's the accepted protocol, then it seems reasonable to find him not guilty. Perhaps he didn't realize the officer who's duty it was to secure him, hadn't done so. And it also sounds like the driver is the one most responsbile, you gotta drive like a maniac to cause injuries like those gray suffered. I don't see what him being the arresting officer or not has to do with anything though.

Is this the first person to go through trial for this? Hopefully the others who had a more direct role are locked away for a long time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Awesome Response! Awesome Response! x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. eracsurfer

eracsurfer Future founder of "Procrastinator's Anonymous" Bold Member!

Credit:
    $636.29
    http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/...-edward-nero-found-not-guilty-on-all-charges/

I have a huge amount of respect for this lawyer. (I guess hell hath frozen over!)

• Like Like x 2
    • Awesome Response! Awesome Response! x 2
    • WTF!?! WTF!?! x 1
  23. Victoria

Credit:
    $34,527.90

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  24. Abroad

Abroad Trusted Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $34,693.01
    And the family? How did they take it?

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Victoria

Credit:
    $34,527.90
    [​IMG]

Now that was a woman with a stream of things to say and she didn't spend much time even pausing for breath in which to say them. My bet is she isn't a smoker. :p

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  26. eracsurfer

Credit:
    $636.29
    I'm sure they are devastated... it doesn't look like their cash cow is going to give any milk.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Athena

Athena Buzzkill. Staff Member

Credit:
    $23,162.01
    Might not be so simple. Police have contracts, and police unions are powerful.

A criminal conviction is very helpful in setting up a successful civil suit, but it is not a requirement. And I doubt the civil suit would be dependent upon this particular individual being convicted, anyway. Six officers were charged. The first ended in a hung jury, this in an acquittal, but there are four to go.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. eracsurfer

Credit:
    $636.29
    I agree with you. However, this verdict is a serious chink in the armor.

Also, I would like to make clear that if they had done anything illegal, the officers should absolutely be held accountable.
    However, as the Gray family attorney had stated:
    "Only the people who sat through this trial and heard all of the evidence have a right to have an opinion about whether his opinion was fair and whether or not it was warranted under the circumstances."

I feel the same way about every one of these racially charged media circuses. The general public only hears the little snippets that the mainstream media wants us to hear, to keep up the unrest.

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. Victoria

Credit:
    $34,527.90

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  30. Buffettgirl

Buffettgirl Trusted Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $62,391.56
    Is it wrong that every time I read this judges name I hear the Brady Bunch theme song? :wacky: