• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

TheMorningStar

is a catcus
An Army sergeant who offended two patrons of a Steamboat Springs sports bar when he played one of his favorite Jimmy Buffett songs, "Margaritaville," has died of the beating inflicted by the pair, authorities said today.

Sgt. 1st Class Richard Lopez, 37, of Fayetteville, N.C., died at 4:16 a.m. Monday at Denver Health Medical Center, according to Steamboat Springs Police Capt. Joel Rae.

Rae said Steamboat police have an ongoing "homicide" investigation into the incident and that the two men who allegedly assaulted Lopez are classified as "suspects."

The dispute began, said Rae, when Lopez played the song on a jukebox in the Tap House Sports Grill late Thursday night.

Lopez's relatives told The Denver Post that the song selected by Lopez was Buffett's "Margaritaville."

Rae said Lopez was obviously enjoying the song and that upset the two other patrons. The pair — whose names were not released — made disparaging remarks about the song's selection, and the argument escalated on the street near the bar.

A fight erupted between one group, composed of Lopez and brothers Timothy and Wes Mottlau, and the second group composed of the two men originally offended by the song, said Rae.

At about 12:10 a.m. Friday, Steamboat Springs police responded to multiple 911 calls and arrived at the intersection of Lincoln Avenue and Seventh Street, where the fight occurred, said Rae.

Lopez was immediately taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center and then airlifted to Denver.

Rae said the Mottlau brothers, both friends of Lopez, grew up in Steamboat. He said that Wes Mottlau also is in the Army and was living in Fayetteville, N.C. He said Timothy Mottlau is in the Navy.

Rae declined to say where the two suspects are from, but they are not from Steamboat.

http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_11379425?source=pop_neighbors_colorado

I cannot wait until they release these fucktards' names.

I printed this one out for Hubby. He's a huge Parrothead and sometimes drives me crazy playing Buffett over and over again. Not that it's a warning.

Sad what people will do over something so trivial.

TheMorningStar said:
I cannot wait until they release these fucktards' names.

I'm curious to see their MySpace. That is if they evolved enough to know how to turn on a computer. SOBs.

Margaritaville is one of my all-time favorite songs. I can't believe people would kill someone over a song selection, or over someone "obviously enjoying" a song... whatever that means. Idiots.

I knew that couldn't have happened anywhere near Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana. They have the biggest Buffett junkies ever out there.

These dudes are going to have to live with the song they hate for the rest of their lives.

"Wasted A Guy 'Cuz of Margaritaville"... a bit of poetic justice.

How can you be against a song that's about a loveable drunk, waking up in Mexico with a tattoo? I just don't get it.

I can totally understand this. I threatened my friend John with a fork if he played anymore fucking Jimmy Buffet.

Also I mentioned Meatloaf as well. Fuck Meatloaf and his dashboard light.

Last edited:
I've hated when Justin Timberlake songs have come on the jukebox but I've never thought to kill anyone over it. When I read people beating others in a drunken rage over this, me getting my foot stuck in my friend's refrigator doesn't seem so.

20090106__20090107_B02_CD07SONGDEATHSHELF~p1_200.JPG
Sgt. 1st Class Richard Lopez

A decorated Army Special Forces solider who was fatally injured in a New Year's Day fight after playing one of his favorite Jimmy Buffett songs on a bar jukebox, died of severe head trauma, according to autopsy results released Tuesday.

Gloria Bovadilla, Lopez's aunt, said Lopez was shot multiple times while serving in Afghanistan, suffering serious wounds to his bladder and leg. Lopez's awards and decorations include the Bronze Star with two oak leaf clusters, the Purple Heart, the Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, and the Army Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters. He is survived by his son, Nicholas James Lopez; father, Vincent Suarez; sister, Mary Ventura; and brother, Mark Suarez.

http://www.denverpost.com/popular/ci_11389733

Fight was over Kanye West vs. Jimmy Buffet

According to police reports, Lopez and his friends wanted to hear a Jimmy Buffett song on the juke box.

Three other guys got in their face over that and put on a Kanye West song instead, Lopez's ex-wife, Shannon Boahn, said.

The disagreement escalated, and once outside the bar, Lopez and a member of the other group confronted each other.

Witnesses said that after Lopez hit the ground, the other guy kept pounding him in the head.

Lopez, 37, died four days later at Denver Health Medical Center.

Captain Joel Rae of the Steamboat Springs Police said it does appear that Lopez died as a direct result of the punch to the jaw.

Still, the eventual charges might range from manslaughter on down to assault.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/ne...p-vs-beach-music-led-soldiers-death-ex-wife-/

Witnesses: Brothers attacked Lopez

Steamboat Springs — Sgt. 1st Class Richard Lopez was attacked by Eduardo and David Capote and did not raise his arms to defend himself in the altercation that led to his Jan. 5 death, witnesses told Steamboat Springs police detectives.

Details of the Jan. 2 fight were released Monday in the arrest warrant for the Capote brothers, who turned themselves in to local authorities before an advisement hearing in Routt County Court. Eduardo Capote Jr., 27, is charged with second-degree assault, a Class 4 felony punishable by 5 to 16 years in prison. He also is charged with two counts of third-degree assault, a Class 1 misdemeanor.
http://www.steamboattoday.com/news/2009/mar/23/charges_released_men_suspected_soldiers_death/

This really burns the living shit out of me. A good man dead because of two worthless assholes that don't even like good music. Manslaughter? Bullshit. Both of those assholes need their assholes widened permanently. Damn fucktards. Where is the fucking justice?

This has got to be one of stupidist reasons to kill someone I have ever heard. Really? You hate Jimmy Buffett THAT much?? I hope it was worth it, assholes.

Let me be the first to say that if someone puts Kanye West on the jukebox I'd get my pissed off on to.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

Back