• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Totemic

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
substation-transformers-big.jpg

That wonderful device is a substation transformer. A crap ton of electrical current is carried through there.

A man who climbed over a high fence and used bolt cutters in an attempt to steal copper wire is in the hospital this morning after suffering a severe electric shock from a transformer,

Fire officials put out the small fire and found a severely burned man inside the substation who was not a PSE employee...with 2nd and 3rd degree burns over more than 60 percent of his body.

http://www.youfreakingidiot.com/?p=397

I love stupid criminals

LOL "oh I'm just gonna get into this substation and get some copper."

Man all you gotta do is find an empty house and get into the basement and you're good to go.

A man who climbed over a high fence and used bolt cutters in an attempt to steal copper wire is in the hospital this morning after suffering a severe electric shock from a transformer,

In hospital? He should be in the morgue!

(ETA: I think the word "stupid" in the title should be changed to "lucky")

Last edited:
I mean, I would wish second- and third-degree burns on very few people (I won't necessarily say "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy" because what can I say, I hold grudges), and I don't think stealing copper wire is a crime deserving of such agony, but... well shit, man, what did you think was gonna happen?

I mean, I would wish second- and third-degree burns on very few people (I won't necessarily say "I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy" because what can I say, I hold grudges), and I don't think stealing copper wire is a crime deserving of such agony, but... well shit, man, what did you think was gonna happen?

Amen Zilla. I have no fucks to give for people doing scummy, dangerous things that screw themselves over in the process. A little Darwinism never hurt society.

That would have been soooo fun to witness! I imagine it sounded like a big electric bug zapper, but with a little bit more screaming.
Schtyooooobid thief!

THIS... This has brightened my day immensely! Maybe this is the tragic consequence arising from parents putting those little plastic covers on all the outlets? Maybe had he stuck a fork in one at 3 he wouldn't be missing more than half his skin today?

Parents gotta start letting these damned kids learn the consequences of their actions! Now get off my lawn! :mad:

More like desperate need of a *shocker* button.

If you don't know what that is just ask dstranger

An incredibly bad horror movie and an incredibly bad sex move. I far prefer the movie myself.

A shocker button, what would that be now? The shocker hand with some lightening around it?

All the dumbasses love them some copper! Like rats to cheese!

Hubby's company contracted a huge gov't housing job last year. One of the biggest problems they encountered was copper theft. (& hoarders & roaches & a flasher & kids home alone & drug paraphernalia- it was an interesting summer resulting in more than a few D'D worthy stories!)

And they weren't just breaking into the storage trailers (well they did that too) Some residents actually ripped the new copper pipes out of their own walls! They'd destroy $100's worth of work for a couple bucks worth of copper- hubs would show up ready to install the new boiler only to discover empty walls & blank stares!:whistle:

Years ago at a local supply house, one of the employees got the brilliant idea to steal all of the "copper" ground rods from the yard of the warehouse. He loaded a full bundle of them into his hatchback and headed to his payday at the scrap yard.

While driving there, he pretty much destroyed the suspension on his car (Gremlin, Chevette, Pacer, or whatever). Got about $25 for the lot (oops... they are only copper clad).

On arriving at work the next day, he was greeted by the police. It seems he happened to pass the owner of the company who was driving to the store to check on reports of suspicious activity.

Back