• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Benighted

My brain hurts
A nurse with a gun stopped a gang of black men from attacking a white driver in Detroit who had gotten out of his car to help the child he had accidentally hit.

Deborah Hughes saw a gang forming around Steve Utash last week as she peered out her window and knew that there would be trouble.

'Always when I see a crowd like that and stuff like that I put my gun in my jacket pocket and I go to see what's going on,' she told MyFoxDetroit.

'I laid over the top of him, I put my arms around him and I said "You are safe. Nobody's going to hurt you no more."'

Ms Hughes, a nurse, has been praised by Detroit Police Chief James Craig and thanked by Mr Utash's family.
Ms Hughes has spoken out on the same day that a fifth man has been arrested for his involvement in attacking the 54-year-old tree trimmer from Clinton Township.

Arraignments were Tuesday for 17-year-old Bruce Wimbush Jr., 30-year-old Wonzey Saffold and 24-year-old James Davis.

They're charged with assault with intent to murder and assault with intent to commit great bodily harm.

A 16-year-old boy also faces a hearing Saturday.
Security footage from a gas station Harris [the 10yo Utash hit with his truck] and friends were standing in front of shows him inexplicably running into oncoming traffic before being mowed down by Utash's vehicle.

Utash, from suburban Roseville, immediately stopped to check on the boy, but several black males from their late teens to their early 20s quickly descend on the scene.

Police quickly ruled the incident an accident.

'It was determined that the driver of the vehicle wouldn't have had any chance of stopping,' Moreno explained.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...randfather-got-help-boy-accidentally-hit.html

The boy who was hit in the traffic accident wasn't badly hurt and was released from hospital after being treated for leg injuries.

The mob might have sent him out there just to start something. Not caring whether he got hurt or not, just to set the scene for a riot. Or I could just be hallucinating.

Thank you Deb Hughes for your heroic quick thinking.
DSWEv8N.jpg
I like it when people know the right thing to do regardless of color and as human beings

The mob might have sent him out there just to start something. Not caring whether he got hurt or not, just to set the scene for a riot. Or I could just be hallucinating.

That seems to be along the same lines as the Utash family is thinking too.

What a hero! Am just curious as to why the article neglected to mention that this brave woman was black, since the races of the others involved seemed to be pertinent.
Glad to know that Detroit still has good people, aside from the violent street thugs and gangbangers that roam the streets, much like the idiots who beat this guy up.

I'm from the area. It's a form of chicken. Someone runs out and intentionally gets hit by a car so the person can be targeted for an easy car jacking. It wasn't officially released that this was the case, but I mean... it's a pretty common "game". This situation was just especially destructive and gross.

I work with one of his daughters and supposedly he's responsive and doing better.

Detroit really isn't this dark crevice of hell on earth. I have a lot of fun here. ...but maybe I'm just used to the hell.

What a great ending to a horrible story. He recovers, is doing well, they all do hard time, at least 10-20.
Lots of men they can beat on inside prison, at least most of them deserve their beat down!

I am glad to hear about a story where a bystander intervenes. Usually the mob mentality takes over and anyone who is not directly involved just stays out of it. My sociology professor loved to say we are all sheep Baa Baa. Knowing that allows us to recognize it and reject it. It allows that one individual to stand up and be the one to say no and stop something like that, or just end up getting their ass kicked also, LOL.

I am glad to hear about a story where a bystander intervenes. Usually the mob mentality takes over and anyone who is not directly involved just stays out of it. My sociology professor loved to say we are all sheep Baa Baa. Knowing that allows us to recognize it and reject it. It allows that one individual to stand up and be the one to say no and stop something like that, or just end up getting their ass kicked also, LOL.

You know in the whole time I have been alive I have stood up for the 'other' person. ESPECIALLY when it's a group of people trying to cause them harm.

In all the time that I have spoken out or physically fought for other people, I have never been harmed in any permanent way. It seems that one person stepping up with confidence and authority (real AND imagined) does make the difference. While I don't recommend this course of action for everyone, I will continue to look out for anyone I can. I have been scared for my life but I know I would always regret if I did not say my peace.

I have been about 5'8 since middle school so I've always been on the tall side (as a lady) but was skinny as a rail until I was in the military a few years (regular full meals instead of snacking and excercise!)

I also can be a bit crazy and this seems to be the factor that gets me through most of the mess. I always say I may not win the fight, BUT I will collect all kinds of DNA on top fight hard and continuously so that you will never want to fight me again. #2 there's no such thing as a fair fight because any fight could kill you or your combatant (JEWEL I got from my Grandma!) so where do you think my motivation and skill level are? and #3 if I feel like you bested me...I will fight you at every opportunity (store, church e.r. liquor store, auntie's funeral..i don't care) until I feel vindicated..(ask my brothers!) Plus I can be a little stubborn - teeny weeny little bit)

edit to add I am 40 now. My last actual physical altercation was with my brother, a year my senior when I was 25. He charged me, I one-two'd him in the chest (he has asthma), headlocked him to the ground the kept punching in his especially bad lung until my buddy started crying she was scared for him....LoL good times. I say that to say that although I put myself out there, very few have led to physical altercations, especially after my early twenties....

Last edited:
Last edited:
A year?!?!
Because he was "truly remorseful"?
He'll be out in a month. Un-freakin-believable.

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

A young man who participated in a mob attack on a Detroit-area motorist needed a father to "beat the hell" out of him as a kid to discourage him from committing such a crime, a judge said Thursday.
The stunning remarks by Wayne County Judge James Callahan came as he sentenced Latrez Cummings to six months in jail.
In response to the judge's question, Cummings, 19, said his father wasn't around when he was growing up.
Callahan said Cummings needed a dad, "someone to discipline you. Someone to beat the hell out of you when you made a mistake, as opposed to allowing you or encouraging you to do it to somebody else."
Cummings and four others have pleaded guilty to assaulting Steve Utash.
[...]
The judge was aggressive throughout the hearing. He ordered the well-dressed Cummings to take his hand out of his pocket and accused him of lying a week ago about his school attendance.
Callahan, citing records, said Cummings hadn't attended classes since December.
"Tell me what the heck you did with your time," he said.
Despite the harsh tone, the judge said Cummings' age and childhood were mitigating factors in the light sentence.
"We've all been 19 years of age," Callahan said.

http://news.msn.com/crime-justice/judge-tells-detroit-teen-he-needed-a-beating

Back