• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

scorpiogirl

ALBUQUERQUE (KRQE) - Police on Wednesday said a 21-year-old woman confessed to killing her own child because it was crying.

Stephanie Ledford, 21, is charged with child abuse resulting in death for the July 9 killing.

The Albuquerque Police Department's Crimes Against Children unit called the investigation complicated. They questioned several adults and children who were inside the southeast Albuquerque apartment that night.

Investigators finally arrested Ledford on Wednesday.

John Walsh, spokesperson for the Albuquerque Police Department, said Ledford told police she had put a pillow over the child's face, smothering it.

"She said that she did it because the child was crying," Walsh said. "It makes no sense to you or I, or to anybody in the public.

"It's one of the saddest affairs that we see, when a mother takes the life of her own child, but in this case, that's exactly what happened."

Those who were at Ledford's apartment on Wednesday refused to comment to News 13.
http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/...ccused_of_smothering_crying_baby_200908200841

Damn, I was hoping this was an older story that just got updated. If that bitch thinks she's going to sleep easy in prison, she's got another thing coming!

She or someone was on her myspace as late as July 31st... Announcing the baby's birth?! I have looked everywhere for more stories on this and I cannot find anything. The baby hasn't even been named...

RIP little one.

Stephanie Ledford, 21, is charged with child abuse resulting in death for the July 9 killing

Why isn't she charged with Murder?? Putting a pillow over a babies face to quiet them is way more than abuse..Nothing accidental about that..Imo..

Why isn't she charged with Murder?? Putting a pillow over a babies face to quiet them is way more than abuse..Nothing accidental about that..Imo..

I agree with you Rhoni, she intentionally suffocated her baby.

If the baby has been fed, burped, changed then lay the baby down and you are feeling overwhelmed then step away from the baby, do what you need to do to get over those emotions. Do not ever be around your baby if you feel like you can harm your baby. Pick up the phone call family, friend, fucking anyone even a stranger then hurting the baby.

Stephanie Ledford, 21, is charged with child abuse resulting in death for the July 9 killing of the 8-month-old boy. She is being held at the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Detention Center on a $250,000 cash or surety bond.

The boy told police he saw Ledford put the pillow on the baby's face while he was going to sleep and held the pillow there until the baby stopped breathing.

"The kid is old enough that this is not a memory that will go away," said Lt. William Roseman with Albuquerque police.

This is not the first time Ledford has been investigated for child abuse. In March, Stephanie Ledford was investigated by the state Children, Youth and Families Department for allegedly abusing the same child who is now dead. According to police, Ledford's boyfriend had earlier filed a complaint saying she was handling the baby too roughly.

Those warning signs led to mandatory parenting classes for Ledford, but the young mother never showed up.

“It would be hard for them to make her go without physically taking her there and making her go,â€￾ Roseman said.

Ledford was later arrested for not attending the classes and jailed for a little more than a month. The father gained custody of the baby during this time, but when Ledford was released she walked right back into his arms and the child was put right back into her care.

I think this is the first time that I will say kudos to mommy's boyfriend for trying to get help for the little guy. And DCF did what it could, within the law, with the information they had. This sweet one was just doomed with that woman for a mother. So sad.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/news/crime/...tans_help_failed_to_protect_baby_200908202358

Someone did love Stephanie Ledford's 8-month-old little boy, a couple who tried to protect the child even before he was born and now mourn his apparent murder.

The Good Samaritans didn't want to be identified, but the man told KRQE News 13 the child had a special place in his heart. He is very upset that the little life wasn't protected, he said Thursday night.

The man he saw Ledford and her boyfriend several days in a row asking for food.

“It just bothered us," he said. "We could tell she was pregnant, and we needed some help with the business.

"So we got them a place to live in return for the work I needed done."

The young family started to flourished, and within a few months the boyfriend was able to get a full-time job because of his hard work for the couple that befriended them.

The Samaritan couple stayed in touch sewing baby clothes and trying to give parenting tips to what they thought was a young inexperienced couple.

“Not knowing how to take care of a baby. Did I see any obvious neglect? No.”

The man said he knew the Children, Youth, and Families Department had taken the boy early on.

“What they told me is that they said she was an unfit mother," he said.

But the child was given back, and a few months later he was dead from what the young couple was said to be Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

“They weren't as emotional as I would have been," he said. "I wouldn't have been able to talk about it.

“They said that it was SIDS. I didn't know what to believe. I just didn't believe what they said."

In the video it says the child who witnessed the event was the boyfriend's son. One article says the child woke up crying at 5:30 am, she smothered him, and went back to sleep. So, where was the boyfriend?

Then this:

stareyezz73 · 14 hours ago

it is unfortionate that my 3 yr old had to watch the whole thing happen he will never forget what he saw that night .............

And here come the excuses:

I personaly knew steff and she was a what i would call a abused woman. Her boyfriend beat her and left her in the cold when she would not use her money to pay for his beer and drugs . she was a good girl who was in a bad situation. robert would tell her that if she did not stand out side and fly a sign for his beer money she would have to sleep in the streets , being a young mother who has the mantality of a 15 year old and homeless was vary hard for her. she was very trusting and bleved what ever robbert told her.she had tryed to leave robbert severl times to go home to her parents and was not able to becuse of the abuse that she was suffering. If your read about abuse it takes an average of 7 times of leaving and going back befor the woman dies or gets away. I do not think that she did this but i belive that she had a part in covering it up becuse she was scared of what might happern to her just as a child dose something wrong and trys to hid it. you cant jude a person in less you have walked in there shose and should pray for steff and her family.

... She did this in the middle of the night... We all have had those nights when we are just so damn tired that it takes everything we can to not get frustrated while we are half asleep... But you still walk away. Even if it means that baby cries for an hour or you get the father or whatever. *sigh* RIP Little Robert.

she was a what i would call a abused woman
And your point is what? Theres a dead baby here not a dead boyfriend. Had she killed her abusive boyfriend I would be totally taking her side and giving her kudo's.
I've been an abused woman in my life, even one with an infant, i went to a battered womans shelter until they could arrest the mother fucker, and my baby LIVED!! Fuck this stupid cunt and her sympothizers too.

[...]
According to the affidavit, Ledford and the baby's father, Robert Killian Sr., had been investigated earlier by the New Mexico Children, Youth and Families Department and the baby was removed from them for 48 hours.

The mother originally told police she got up with R.K., fed him, changed his diaper and put him back to bed. She said she went back to sleep and when she got up a few hours later, the baby was not breathing.

She said she thought R.K. died of sudden infant death syndrome.

In the first police interviews, Ledford said Killian would make R.K. stop crying by pinching his neck until the baby passed out. She said he did that the night before R.K. died.

Killian denied pinching R.K.'s neck, although he said he did put his thumb under the baby's mouth to hold it shut.

Ledford contended Killian called Children, Youth and Families because she wanted to take the baby home to Tennessee.

Killian told police he had custody of R.K. because Ledford was an unfit mother who slammed the child down on the couch when he cried.
http://www.lcsun-news.com/ci_13176495

WTF!!!!!

I went to school with Stephanie. Its hard to believe she did something like this. She was a sweet girl back in the day. What happened.

I went to school with Stephanie. Its hard to believe she did something like this. She was a sweet girl back in the day. What happened.

Got in over her head, became a child murderer. That's what obviously happened, and it doesn't need much more explanation.

Wow. I realize that giving up a child to be adopted would be really hard, but it seems it would be way easier than actually killing your own child then spending years (or life) behind bars. I will never understand a mentality that would could do this.

From 2011:
Mom Gets 18 Years for Killing Baby

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A young mother who smothered her crying, 8-month-old baby in 2009 was sentenced Monday to 18 years in state prison.

Stephanie Ledford, 22, entered a guilty plea and was sentenced by District Judge Jacqueline Flores for the death of her infant son on July 9, 2009.

The Children, Youth and Family Department had been called to investigate the household for domestic violence charges five months earlier and had reached an agreement in which the child’s father would be his primary caretaker.

Ledford missed most of the CYFD meeting leading up to the decision because she was serving a sentence at the Metropolitan Detention Center for a domestic violence charge, CYFD told the Journal in 2009.
https://www.abqjournal.com/37884/mom-gets-18-years-for-killing-baby.html

Latest posts

Back