• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Sugar Cookie

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
A tiny bulldog who became hairless after she was found wandering the streets now has a loving home and a thick coat of fur as the result of an incredible transformation.

Lilou was just seven months old when she was picked up by rescuers; at the time, she was covered in sores and suffering from a respiratory condition.

Much of the neglected puppy's fur had fallen out and she was terrified of everything and everyone, according to her owner Cora Frazer.

In September 2015, as a severe medical case, Lilou, a bulldog mix, was placed with an emergency foster in California, who helped her battle through the infections.

She later moved to Northwest Dog Project (NWDP) in Eugene, Oregon, where rescuers treated her with daily medicated baths and massaged her with coconut oil.

The process caused all of her hair to fall out and left her totally naked with bright pink skin but Lilou, who now has almost 7,000 followers on Instagram, gradually got better.

'Lilou was pretty fearful and shut down when she first arrived. Everything was baby steps with her,' Emma Scott, co-founder of NWDP, said.

'She quickly lost the little bit of hair she did still have and went through her "naked" stage.'

In addition to her daily medicated baths and coconut oil, Lilou was given medication, a special diet, and, Emma added, 'a whole lot of love'.

'The months went by and Lilou grew stronger and healthier and goofier by the day,' Emma recounted. 'She stole hearts all over the world.'

Cora, 37, a vintage show owner, fell in love with little Lilou as soon as she saw a photo on the shelter's Facebook page.

She and her partner Carl Ernst, 41, adopted Lilou—who also has a jutting underbite which causes her tongue to loll out—in January 2016.

It is just amazing to think that this puppy that was considered garbage by someone has come so far,' Cora said.

'When Lilou was picked up she had a terrible case of mange and she was this terrified little puppy.

'To me, it was one of the most heartbreaking things. She just looked totally depressed and she had no energy. She was in such bad shape.

Lilou's life has changed so much. Her skin will always be a little sensitive but other that she is doing so well,' Cora added.

'She loves to be active and to run around and hike and play and wrestle. She has the loveliest personality and we feel like the luckiest people in the world.

'Sometimes we stare at her and think, "How did we get to be her parents?" We can't believe she is ours.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...bulldog-undergoes-amazing-transformation.html
490005B700000578-5368635-image-a-40_1518113262849.jpg

4900071F00000578-5368635-image-m-65_1518113508815.jpg

4900040700000578-5368635-image-a-56_1518113365123.jpg

First of all, @Sugar Cookie , I just want to thank you for a "good news" news story.;)

Back in '88 I adopted a black Staffordshire bull terrier puppy that a breeder friend had found foraging in her garbage cans, who was covered almost as badly as this one with red mange sores.
Her legs were unscathed, but her head and body were badly scabbed and she had little fur.
When I took her to the vet, the first thing I asked about was about mange contamination to humans or other dogs, and the vet told me no, unless she has puppies - then they would "inherit" the mange (which are microscopic mites). He also knew this wouldn't be an issue, as I always spay/neuter.
Then he gave me some pure soap for bathing her, and 2 medications for the mange; the first was a cream to use on her immediately until her sores had healed and the mange appeared to be gone, and the second was a liquid to use in the future when occasional "pimples" of the mange would resurface.
I followed his directions religiously, and within 6+months she was unrecognizable.
My neighbors, friends, and our entire FD/EMS crews couldn't believe this was the same mangy, bloated bellied, worm filled puppy I'd first shown them all less than a year before.
She walked the 1st 600 miles of the Appalachian Trail with myself and some friends, covering about 3x as much mileage as we did (running back and forth to everyone as we staggered out in front/behind each other), was the mascot of both a FD and a R&R band, a weekly visitor as the "Ambassador of Love" at the Key Training Center for MH/MR adults, and the children's favorite at local swim holes for retrieving (every single time) the very same rock the children would throw into the water for her, thrilled by their claps of joy as she dropped the rocks at their feet.

So once again, @Sugar Cookie , thank you, but this time for reminding of my beloved "India", and the joy she brought to so very many.
:hug:

I'm so grateful someone cared enough for Lilou to nurse her back to good health, and that she's being loved and returning love after surviving so much neglect, rejection, and fear.
May she stay beautiful and loved, always.

Animal rescuers, adopters and foster are remarkable people.
I admire those who unconditionally love our companions from the animal kingdom.

Back