• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-simon-peter-nelson-illinois-dead-20170620-story.html

550x309

One of Rockford's most notorious killers has died while awaiting his 19th bid at parole.

Simon Peter Nelson, 85, was convicted of killing his six children — Jenny, 12; Simon Peter III, 10; Andrew, 8; Matthew, 7; Roseann, 6; and David, 3 — and the family dachshund, Pretzel, in their home in January 1978. He then traveled to Milwaukee and attacked his wife before police arrived.

Nelson died at 10:10 a.m. Sunday at St. John's Hospital in Springfield, according to Sangamon County Coroner Cinda Edwards. He had been held in Graham Correctional Center but was admitted to the hospital five days before his death. The preliminary cause of his death was consistent with natural causes.

Nelson remained in the news because of his periodic attempts at parole. He was sentenced under Illinois' old indeterminate sentencing laws and was denied release from prison 18 times since he first became eligible for parole in 1986. Hundreds of Rockford-area residents signed petitions at each of Nelson's parole attempts to urge the Illinois Prisoner Review Board to deny his release. Winnebago County State's Attorney Joe Bruscato also traveled to hearings to object to Nelson's release.

"Nelson was one of Winnebago County's most brutal killers, and the impact of his terrible crimes continue to haunt the community," Bruscato said in a news release. "As always, our thoughts remain with the victims' family and loved ones who continue to mourn the deaths of the Nelson children almost 40 years ago. We as a community will continue to grieve the loss, and hope for continued healing for all who knew and loved those children."

Retired Rockford police officer Steve Pirages was a young patrol officer in 1978. He was the first officer on the scene and discovered the gruesome murders that had taken place inside the Nelson's Camp Avenue home.

"He's going to have to answer to a higher power for what he did to his children and family (dog)," he said. "The effect it had on the community was devastating. It affected everybody, and it certainly affected me."

Pirages added, "I'm an advocate of the death penalty, but unfortunately it was not available at that time. I'm happy that he wasn't paroled. I can't say that I feel bad."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Nelson

There's a very short entry here on him. I thought it was in the news article but it seems his wife was threatening divorce. So he killed the kids and the poor puppy and then went to find her but the police got him before he could kill her. Same old, same old, if I can't have you then no one can and I'm gonna make you as miserable as I can in the meantime.

Jesus! Why the fuck was he so mad?

Good riddance to bad rubbish I say. I can't imagine the devastation his wife experienced. The guilt and regret...a very dark place. So sad. This is reminiscent of List.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Nelson

There's a very short entry here on him. I thought it was in the news article but it seems his wife was threatening divorce. So he killed the kids and the poor puppy and then went to find her but the police got him before he could kill her. Same old, same old, if I can't have you then no one can and I'm gonna make you as miserable as I can in the meantime.
She was probably more tortured to survive the loss of her children then if he killed her. Thank God the parole board did not feel release this man and he died in prison.

Back