• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

FlamingFox

Trusted Member
An Enid man has been charged with felony child abuse for allegedly shaking his 1-month-old son, causing skull fractures and bleeding in the brain, according to the charges.

Shawn L. Harger, 23, faces up to life in prison and no less than a year in county jail if convicted of abusing his son, Dalton Harger.

Harger and his girlfriend, Lilly Venable, took the boy to Integris Bass Baptist Health Center on Jan. 15, noting the boy was lethargic, not eating or drinking, and had a core temperature of 93 degrees, according to an affidavit filed in the case. The boy was admitted to the hospital, then transferred by helicopter to OU Children’s Hospital in Oklahoma City the next morning.

During an examination by Dr. Andrew Gormley, multiple injuries were found, including two skull fractures, bleeding on the brain, retinal hemorrhaging, fractures to both femurs and the right tibia, the affidavit states. Police spoke with the doctor, and he said the injuries sustained by Dalton were “indicative of shaking.â€￾ He said the fractures of the tibia and femur “can only be caused by twisting, jerking or violent shaking in a child of this age.â€￾

http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_024003317.html

I'd like to see a picture of this bastard.

I hope these sweet little one makes it and heals completely.

Ty

I'd like to see a picture of this bastard.

I hope these sweet little one makes it and heals completely.

Thanks Silvahalo. I do too on both counts. No luck in finding a pic of him today, but I am hoping to find one soon. So far, the link I posted is the only one I could find about this tragedy. I'm guessing because the story is still too recent. I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I find more! :)

An Enid man has been charged with felony child abuse for allegedly shaking his 1-month-old son, causing skull fractures and bleeding in the brain, according to the charges.

Shawn L. Harger, 23, faces up to life in prison and no less than a year in county jail if convicted of abusing his son, Dalton Harger.

During an examination by Dr. Andrew Gormley, multiple injuries were found, including two skull fractures, bleeding on the brain, retinal hemorrhaging, fractures to both femurs and the right tibia, the affidavit states. Police spoke with the doctor, and he said the injuries sustained by Dalton were “indicative of shaking.â€￾ He said the fractures of the tibia and femur “can only be caused by twisting, jerking or violent shaking in a child of this age.â€￾

Detectives interviewed Harger Jan. 20 at the OU Children’s Hospital.

Harger initially denied having any involvement in his son’s injuries, but as the interview progressed agreed the injuries to his son could not have been caused accidentally, according to the affidavit. He said there was no way Venable could have caused the boy’s injuries and there was no time when Dalton was alone with her 5- and 6-year-old boys.

Harger then told detectives he had been “very stressed outâ€￾ recently and had just begun a new job, according to the affidavit. He said he had not been able to get enough sleep because of Venable’s boys and due to Dalton being ill.

Harger said at about 2 p.m. Jan. 15 he got home from work as Dalton was waking up from a nap. He said Venable went to the grocery store, and he went and picked up Dalton and began to make a bottle.

While making the bottle, Harger said Dalton began to cry and continued as he was trying to feed him. Harger told detectives he thought the infant had gas and attempted to burp him, but nothing seemed to work and the boy continued to cry, according to the affidavit.

Harger told detectives he grabbed the boy by his midsection and began repeatedly bouncing him over his right shoulder, according to the affidavit. Harger said he was “very frustratedâ€￾ and did not know what else to do so he “shook him pretty hard.â€￾ Harger said he did this while sitting on the couch. There is a shelf behind the couch, Harger said, that Dalton may have hit with his head, according to the affidavit.

Harger said when he stopped bouncing Dalton on his shoulder the boy was lifeless and was making a strange breathing sound, according to the affidavit. Harger told detectives at that point he knew he’d done something wrong.

On Jan. 21 detectives related Harger’s version of events leading to Dalton’s injuries to Gormley. The doctor told detectives Harger’s version of events were “very plausible,â€￾ although the physical contact “would have to have been much more than Shawn described.â€￾

Harger was not arraigned Friday morning. A warrant for his arrest has been issued with a bond amount of $250,000.

http://www.enidnews.com/localnews/local_story_024003317.html

Thanks Silvahalo. I do too on both counts. No luck in finding a pic of him today, but I am hoping to find one soon. So far, the link I posted is the only one I could find about this tragedy. I'm guessing because the story is still too recent. I'll keep everyone updated as soon as I find more! :)

You can get info about him on the Oklahma state court network page.
The court page says his DOB is 04/18/1973 for some reason??? that would make him like 35 not 23

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/casesearch.asp

Ty

Yeah, I have been on some of the Oklahoma sites and noticed the same thing. I don't know why they stated he's 23 unless it was just a typo. I did discover that his girlfriend's name is Lillly Venable, though. Thanks for your help! I appreciate it! :)

Another one? Seriously? Don't they teach not to shake in birthing classes? As a WIC requirement? Why are we so behind the ball on this??

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I never read before that shaking a baby can cause skull fractures. Brain and retinal injuries yes, but skull fractures? Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Nurserhonda?

Another one? Seriously? Don't they teach not to shake in birthing classes? As a WIC requirement? Why are we so behind the ball on this??

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I never read before that shaking a baby can cause skull fractures. Brain and retinal injuries yes, but skull fractures? Anyone want to weigh in on this?

Nurserhonda?

Not sure on that, but the doc didn't seem convinced that the shaking was all that occurred...
On Jan. 21 detectives related Harger’s version of events leading to Dalton’s injuries to Gormley. The doctor told detectives Harger’s version of events were “very plausible,â€￾ although the physical contact “would have to have been much more than Shawn described.â€￾

Nurserhonda?

SBS wont give a child a skull fracture, its all internal damage. He said he banged the babys head against a shelf while he was shaking the shit out of it.

Nothing new

I could not find any new updates on this today, which is really frustrating the hell out of me because I want so much to know that Dalton is doing okay.

It's his age that bothers me the most. I mean, all child abuse is wrong, no matter what the age of the victim is, but how can a one month old baby frustrate you so much to abuse him like this?

I can see feeling frustrated with them when they're older and teething, still no excuse to harm them, but a newborn? All mine ever did was eat, sleep, poo, and snuggle.

I could not find any new updates on this today, which is really frustrating the hell out of me because I want so much to know that Dalton is doing okay.

It's his age that bothers me the most. I mean, all child abuse is wrong, no matter what the age of the victim is, but how can a one month old baby frustrate you so much to abuse him like this?

I can see feeling frustrated with them when they're older and teething, still no excuse to harm them, but a newborn? All mine ever did was eat, sleep, poo, and snuggle.

I am like you and want to know, but sadly it takes time, they might not even cover the story anymore till trial. The other bad news is the survival rate of Shaken Baby Syndrome is pretty damn low, bleeding on the brain and retinal hemorrhaging are pretty bad signs, once the brain starts expanding excessive damage is done.

Once the shaking starts the brain is slammed back and forth inside the skull , sometimes it even comes loose in the back. They often have to remove a part of the skull to allow for expansion, but it depends upon how soon the child is brought into the hospital and often the person who does it trys to hide it, so its a no win situation for the child.

According to this Dickwads story Dalton took a pretty bad shaking, I would imagine he is on life support of some kind. No reason not to pray for Dalton or wish him well. I hope he pulls through. though its a pretty big long shot.

Prognosis for Shaken Baby Syndrome: Generally, the prognosis for children with shaken baby syndrome is poor. Most will be left with considerable disability. Retinal damage may cause loss of vision. If the child survives, he or she may require lifelong medical care for brain damage injuries such as mental retardation or cerebral palsy. (Source: excerpt from NINDS Shaken Baby Syndrome Information Page: NINDS)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Prognosis of Shaken Baby Syndrome
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/s/shaken_baby_syndrome/prognosis.htm

Shaken Baby Syndrome Information Page:
http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/artic/ninds_shaken_baby_syndrome_information_page_ninds.htm

Last edited:
i use to know Shawn or at least i thought i did!! According to the DOC web sight he was sentenced to 20 years if anybody wants to see a picture of him go to the offender lookup and put his name is!!

Wow! Take a looksee, story is from March, 2011....
ENID — An 8-year-old Enid boy was struck Wednesday evening in the 3300 block of West Willow by an eastbound vehicle.

Jason Venable suffered abrasions to the back of his arms, an abrasion on his right knee and a small bump to the back of his head, according to an Enid Police Department traffic report. The boy’s injuries are listed as non-incapacitating.
The boy’s mother, Lilly Venable, told police she had been walking with three children along Willow looking for a piece of mail that had flown out of the window a few minutes before.

She said they found the mail on the north side of the road and began walking back toward her vehicle on the south side of the road. She said she told all three children to watch for traffic and to wait for her before crossing the road.

She said Jason waited for one car to pass then said, “Let’s cross.” She said she attempted to grab his arm to stop him but was unable to catch him before he crossed. She said she saw the pickup traveling east and estimated his speed to be about 30 mph.

She said she saw Blackwell brake and swerve to avoid hitting Jason but Blackwell was unable to miss Jason. She said she thought Blackwell had slowed to 15 to 20 mph before striking Jason.
http://enidnews.com/localnews/x1609122142/8-year-old-boy-struck-by-truck

I wonder if Dalton Gage was one of the three......

A state appellate court ordered a hearing Friday on whether a guilty plea may be withdrawn by a man convicted of child abuse in Garfield County. Shawn Leroy Harger, 38, entered a blind plea last year to a charge of child abuse with the understanding he would get a 20-year prison sentence. The judge sentenced him to 20 years in prison, and then Harger filed an application to withdraw his guilty plea. The state Court of Criminal Appeals agreed with Harger that he was denied effective counsel. Harger's lawyer offered no evidence or argument during Harger's hearing on withdrawing his guilty plea and Harger was not even present to testify, the appellate court said. The court ordered a new hearing on Harger's application to withdraw his plea.
http://www.newsok.com/oklahoma-court-allows-guilty-plea-withdrawal/article/3588252

i use to know Shawn or at least i thought i did!! According to the DOC web sight he was sentenced to 20 years if anybody wants to see a picture of him go to the offender lookup and put his name is!!

how well and how long have you known him

you shouldnt judge him unless we can judge you
Feel free. I'm the woman in my avatar and NO child has ever died as a result of my actions or the actions of those I have chosen to have around them.

But hey, knock yourself out and judge away, I could use the laugh today.

you talk about him what about her. how do we know she didnt do anything to the baby before he got home. she let her son get hit by a car. then the baby gets hurt now come on really. she should be lookin at to.

how well and how long have you known him
Yeah... Kelly posted here four years ago and hasn't been back since, so there's no point in trying to start a pissing match over who knew that ugly skidmark better/longer.

theres clues there. he said that the baby woke up crying and stayed cryin when he tried feedin him and wouldnt calm down.so that right there sayin something was already wrong. court appointed lawyer sux they dont help you like there sopposed to.

Back