• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

penelopejo

Mother Nature
a4c07b.jpg

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26869805/mother-accused-of-beating-daughter-in-school-parking-lot

A mother is behind bars, accused of beating her 12-year-old daughter with a belt and her hands outside the girl's school.

[...]

The girl told police that her mother picked her up from Bishop Dunne Catholic School in Oak Cliff Tuesday afternoon. She said the two then started arguing, and their words turned to slaps.

She ran back inside the school, where school employees called 911.

Police documents show that the suspect, Shannetta Robinson, said the reason she was angry with her daughter was because she missed her tutoring appointment.

The girl told investigators that when she got into her mother's car, she noticed a belt. Then, Shannetta allegedly "began to hit the girl with the leather portion of the belt causing pain” and explained her reason.

The girl said her mother also pulled her hair and hit her with an open hand many times, telling her that "she was grounded and that she could not use her cell phone, play sports or go outside."

[...]

"…had a cut on her right temple and her left and right eye showed blood clots."

The police report said it took Shanetta 40 minutes to return to the school to talk to officers.

She said "she was tired of dealing with the girl.”

The girl has been placed with her aunt and is not in the custody of Child Protective Services.

[...]

More at the link plus a video

On the mom's side here. If my kid skipped out a tutoring session I might spank their little ass too. Obviously the kid needs help in school and skipping out is even more unacceptable then.

On the mom's side here. If my kid skipped out a tutoring session I might spank their little ass too. Obviously the kid needs help in school and skipping out is even more unacceptable then.
I'd be PISSED but geez, I wouldn't get a belt & start swinging. More like groundation for an indeterminate amount of time.

I think if you're spanking your kid at 12, you've lost the battle a long ass time ago.

Around this age, when the hormones start circulating, you've sometimes got to shock their little asses into remembering that you're still watching, aware, and in charge. I had to go to school with my oldest one day and shadow him through his classes. The embarrassment of that was enough to remind him to of who was in charge. I might have to pull that on my youngest in a minute here.

See, I thought that black people would be the last people to beat their kids like that.
No, I know. I'm an idiot. @Nell already pointed that out.
...not really sure what I'm saying here. Other than this is stupid. Now this mother is in jail. For what?

Around this age, when the hormones start circulating, you've sometimes got to shock their little asses into remembering that you're still watching, aware, and in charge. I had to go to school with my oldest one day and shadow him through his classes. The embarrassment of that was enough to remind him to of who was in charge. I might have to pull that on my youngest in a minute here.
You embarrassed him in a responsible manner, you didn't beat him. Spanking is still a subject where some swear by and others swear against, but I do agree at 12 if you're resorting to a spanking their not learning anything.

Spanking occurs with an open hand on the child's butt, and that's it. Hitting your child anywhere else or with anything else is not "spanking".

But, regardless your method of discipline, if you leave marks of any substantial kind (welts, bruises, cuts as opposed to a red mark that fades quickly), you can be arrested.

Which is just one more reason why everyone should simply choose a more evolved method of discipline like groundation, manual labor or removal of privileges instead, in my opinion. :)

You embarrassed him in a responsible manner, you didn't beat him. Spanking is still a subject where some swear by and others swear against, but I do agree at 12 if you're resorting to a spanking their not learning anything.

Only because spanking doesn't work on my oldest. If he had been a kid who responded to that then I may well have spanked him. My youngest does respond to spanking and I hold it in reserve just in case I need to go that far. I haven't had to for at least four years or so, but again, I hold it in reserve.

Spanking is a last resort for me though. I've always tried to mitigate bad behavior in other ways first. That's just my personal methods, but I'm not going to automatically jump on parents who use spanking more regularly.

i can honestly say i have spanked my daughter maybe twice in her life and both times it was all me, and my own frustration, and she was not doing anything worse than she ever did. however, it was my hand on her butt;
not a belt, paddle, or 2x4
. regardless, it still makes me feel like shit even now (and that was years ago) because i was blessed with an amazing kid that just talking with her would always get results.

I'd be PISSED but geez, I wouldn't get a belt & start swinging. More like groundation for an indeterminate amount of time.

And the fact that the mom actually brought and executed a spanking out in the damn parking lot tells me that the intention wasn't to discipline, but to fulfill her desire to act out her anger. And if she's not controlled enough to calm down and spank out of discipline rather then anger then she should find an alternative method of discipline.

See, I thought that black people would be the last people to beat their kids like that.
No, I know. I'm an idiot. @Nell already pointed that out.
...not really sure what I'm saying here. Other than this is stupid. Now this mother is in jail. For what?

I'm sorry...but are you just messing around? You didn't think Black people spank their kids like that...you're pulling some legs right?

I'm sorry...but are you just messing around? You didn't think Black people spank their kids like that...you're pulling some legs right?
Eh, no. I'm serious. Well, I was.
I figured, you know, slavery would make them not best their children. Despite the fact people today never endured slavery. Thankfully.
But yeah. It has been pointed out that I'm an idiot for thinking this.

Eh, no. I'm serious. Well, I was.
I figured, you know, slavery would make them not best their children. Despite the fact people today never endured slavery. Thankfully.
But yeah. It has been pointed out that I'm an idiot for thinking this.
It's ok, I have too.
I truly believe our past generations make up for the sociology that we represent today & discipline/punishment can certainly be skewed by that. I never mean to offend anyone, I'm only going by the experience of what I read on here & the common denominators that I see.

The last time I spanked my youngest, there was a diaper between my hand and his butt. I'm just saying.
i hear ya.......however, be prepared for the response that that is the WORST time, and there is a NEVER GOOD TIME EVER. (that was my time as well, and yeah, i got the speech.)...but hey, although bitchy, it was right.

I had to go to school with my oldest one day and shadow him through his classes. The embarrassment of that was enough to remind him to of who was in charge. I might have to pull that on my youngest in a minute here.

When I taught middle school (7th grade), I loved it when moms would shadow their children. I made sure to fill her ears with all the information she needed to know. I even pointed out that the way the child acted in class that day was NOT how they acted when she wasn't around. It was awesome to watch those jerks squirm in their seats. You just knew they were in for it later on when they got home. It was quite delicious, from a teacher's perspective.

It's ok, I have too.
I truly believe our past generations make up for the sociology that we represent today & discipline/punishment can certainly be skewed by that. I never mean to offend anyone, I'm only going by the experience of what I read on here & the common denominators that I see.
Thiiiiiiiis. This is what I've been trying to convey.

Thiiiiiiiis. This is what I've been trying to convey.
Yes.
People get offended but see, if they don't abuse - there's no reason to be offended. It's simply an observation. I truly believe there are certain punishments for certain races, it's just trickled down through the ages. Any race can be cruel, and any race can be kind.

Yes.
People get offended but see, if they don't abuse - there's no reason to be offended. It's simply an observation. I truly believe there are certain punishments for certain races, it's just trickled down through the ages. Any race can be cruel, and any race can be kind.
...and now I have the earworm Cruel to be Kind running through my head. :arghh:

Yes.

This is the second or third time that you said about certain races giving out certain punishment to their kids. Honestly ever since you said that I've been looking and seeing if there's a trend and there really is not. The people that are featured here are from every race and different economic status.

Interestingly enough my last three burn stories were from white parents.

This is the second or third time that you said about certain races giving out certain punishment to their kids. Honestly ever since you said that I've been looking and seeing if there's a trend and there really is not. The people that are featured here are from every race and different economic status.

Interestingly enough my last three burn stories were from white parents.
It was just nice that @Valasca could see my theory. I won't debate with you. We see different things and it is what it is.

Back