• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Silvahalo

Bite My Seraphim Sass
We all read countless stories on the devastating injuries inflicted on babies severely shaken by a parent or caregiver. The effects of Shaken Baby Syndrome are usually ever lasting or cause death.

This is one such story that tells of life after Ryan Mac Sanders at the age of 8 weeks, was shaken by a caregiver. His life today, a moment of frustration that turned into a lifetime of struggle for Ryan. It took Ryan 8 years to learn how to walk. The life he was given at birth was taken from him, stolen. I have to wonder....
What might have Ryan become?
Ryan’s life and the life of his parents changed forever October 9, 1992, when Ryan was shaken by his home based childcare provider, Eleanor Kay Hinegardner of Lake Ridge, Virginia.

Ryan suffers daily with cerebral palsy, cortical visual impairment and profound mental retardation. Ryan is an extremely happy boy, seizure free but remains non-verbal and incontinent. Ryan will never experience independence in his lifetime. Ryan won’t go to college, Ryan won’t get married, and Ryan won’t have children. Ryan will also need a caregiver for life. Ryan’s medical needs and 24/7 care will run in excess of $4 million dollars in his lifetime.
[....]
He enjoys being read to and also enjoys his “tubby time”. Ryan receives physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, myofascial therapy, botox and phenol treatments for spastic muscles and sees more doctors in a year than most of us will see in our lifetime. Ryan has experienced two surgeries.

Eleanor Kay Hinegardner, was convicted in May 1993, served 18 months in jail and was released from parole September 2003. She now resides in Heritage Hunt, a retirement community in Gainesville, VA. While a jury of her peers sentenced her to 4 years in jail for felony child abuse, Ryan continues to serve his life sentence of disabilities that she inflicted upon him.
ryan_003.jpg
ryan_002.jpg
ryan_006.jpg
ryan_010.jpg

Ryan Mac Sanders was born August 10, 1992 to Catherine and Steven Sanders. Ryan today...
ryan_a.jpg

"Shaken Baby Syndrome is 100% preventable. Prevention lies in your hands...."

April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month

Ryan Mac Sanders an SBS tragedy

Last edited:
Thank you so so much for this thread.

maybe, just maybe if more parents would see things like this, they would understand why no baby should ever be shaken. When you do this to a child, you basically get an infant for life, if the baby survives.

In this case and in all cases where this parents did not cause this and they continue the on going care for their child, I must give them the respect that they deserve.

This has got to be the ultimate night mare for any parent living with these circumstances

I wish I could get my hands on that bitch, so I could print those images of Ryan and staple them to her fucking eyelids. She should have to see the results of her actions every day for the rest of her life.

I wonder if she even gives Ryan and his family a second thought as she goes about her daily business in the 'retirement community? And I wonder what the other residents would think of her if they knew what she did.

Those pictures are very sad. Ryan's future taken from him in the blink of an eye. The sentences for shaking a baby need to be far tougher.

Thank you so so much for this thread.

maybe, just maybe if more parents would see things like this, they would understand why no baby should ever be shaken. When you do this to a child, you basically get an infant for life, if the baby survives.

In this case and in all cases where this parents did not cause this and they continue the on going care for their child, I must give them the respect that they deserve.

This has got to be the ultimate night mare for any parent living with these circumstances

I wish I could get my hands on that bitch, so I could print those images of Ryan and staple them to her fucking eyelids. She should have to see the results of her actions every day for the rest of her life.

I wonder if she even gives Ryan and his family a second thought as she goes about her daily business in the 'retirement community? And I wonder what the other residents would think of her if they knew what she did.

Those pictures are very sad. Ryan's future taken from him in the blink of an eye. The sentences for shaking a baby need to be far tougher.

I so agree with both of you. People often do not understand that a moment of frustration can and usually lead to a lifetime of disabilities and in many cases death. 1,200-1,400 cases a year from SBS. I'd like to see that number cut in half just by awareness and teaching parents and caregivers alike how to better cope with a crying child.

It's easy to read these cases and get angry, Lord knows I do, but it is far more difficult, the reality to read the true devastation left behind that leaves a baby forever dependent on others....as if to never leave the baby state. Just breaks my heart.

So sorry Ryan. You deserved a real life with all the opportunities it has to hold.

Last edited:
Is Kay dead yet? In 1977 when I was 3 years old I was left at Kay's place for a week while my parents went to Hawaii. Kay and her husband Ray took turns beating the shit out of me. They got off on it. They kept me in a dark bedroom and only took me out for a meal once per day when they force fed me till I puked. When I wouldn't stop crying they kicked me down a flight of stairs. I was left with a broken nose and chronic nose bleeds for the rest of my life. My parents acknowledged it happened and I was never left in her care again, but child abuse wasn't really a thing back then and people didn't go to court over such things.

I lived 2 houses down from the Hinegardners and grew up hearing the horror stories about her "at home day care" from the kids who shared the bus stop with me and had to go to her house every day after school. Many of the kids ran away and came to my house. Kay was never aware of their whereabouts or cared where they were.

The day she almost killed Ryan, was Oct 9th, 1992- my 18th birthday. I attended her trial. Some of the people who testified against her were kids I knew from the bus stop. On the final day when they read the verdict, I wore a bright red dress. I told her she was going to rot in prison for what she did to Ryan but she would rot in hell for what she did to me. I promised her I would wear a red dress to her funeral. I sincerely hope I am not too late. She must be in her 70's now. I've been looking forward to shopping for a new bright red dress.

Last edited:
Is Kay dead yet? In 1977 when I was 3 years old I was left at Kay's place for a week while my parents went to Hawaii. Kay and her husband Ray took turns beating the shit out of me. They got off on it. They kept me in a dark bedroom and only took me out for a meal once per day when they force fed me till I puked. When I wouldn't stop crying they kicked me down a flight of stairs. I was left with a broken nose and chronic nose bleeds for the rest of my life. My parents acknowledged it happened and I was never left in her care again, but child abuse wasn't really a thing back then and people didn't go to court over such things.

I lived 2 houses down from the Hinegardners and grew up hearing the horror stories about her "at home day care" from the kids who shared the bus stop with me and had to go to her house every day after school. Many of the kids ran away and came to my house. Kay was never aware of their whereabouts or cared where they were.

The day she almost killed Ryan, was Oct 9th, 1992- my 18th birthday. I attended her trial. Some of the people who testified against her were kids I knew from the bus stop. On the final day when they read the verdict, I wore a bright red dress. I told her she was going to rot in prison for what she did to Ryan but she would rot in hell for what she did to me. I promised her I would wear a red dress to her funeral. I sincerely hope I am not too late. She must be in her 70's now. I've been looking forward to shopping for a new bright red dress.
so your birthday is 10/09/1974, you're from Virginia, and i need your social security number so we can complete your Dreamin demon profile. let me know if you have any questions.

Back