• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
No crime yet.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/seychelles-police-probe-deaths-sisters-annie-robin-korkki-n656651
An American family was looking for answers Thursday after two sisters were found dead in their hotel room on a paradise island in the Indian Ocean.

Annie Korkki and Robin Korkki were vacationing at a $2,000-a-night luxury resort on the Seychelles island of Mahé.
160929-minnesota-sisters-cr-0617_0a128387be80dde1f31eaf2ff316b963.nbcnews-ux-320-320.jpg

They were found dead on Sept. 22 after an employee at the Maia Luxury Resort and Spa tried to wake them, according to the hotel and local officials.

"There were no marks on them whatsoever," Seychelles Tourism Minister Alain St Ange told NBC News. "They had a good time in the day and then they went to their room."
[....]
Police told the Seychelles News Agency that preliminary investigation showed there was "no sign of violence" on the bodies. NBC News' calls to officers handling the investigation were not returned early Thursday.

Local media reported an autopsy was scheduled later this week.

Annie Korkki was 37 years old and lived in Denver and Robin Korkki was 42 and lived in Chicago, according to NBC station KARE, which spoke with their family members.

Facebook and LinkedIn pages matching Annie Korkki's details said she worked as a senior administrative assistant at JPMorgan Chase in Denver. The company had not responded to NBC News' request for confirmation early Thursday.

Both sisters went to high school in a suburb of Minneapolis, KARE reported.

"It's all very surreal," their brother, Chris Korkki, who lives in Lakeville, Minnesota, told the station. "We don't know very much. Our family is still very much in shock. We're devastated."

10rtqtx.jpg

DENVER (CBS4) – A Colorado woman and her sister are the focus of a mysterious death in paradise.

Annie Korkki, 37, and her sister, Robin Korkki, 42, were both found dead in their villa at the $2,000 a night Maia Resort on Seychelles, a resort island in the Indian Ocean, 900 miles off the East African Coast.

According the The Seychelles Nation, the country’s newspaper, the women were found in their beds by hotel staff. There were no signs of a physical altercation. But police did remove undisclosed prescriptions from the scene during the investigation.

Police told the paper the women had been drinking at the resort and staff had to help them to their room the night before they were found.

On Facebook the women had been posting pictures of their adventure for more than a week, including beach and poolside pictures two days before their death.

Annie Korkki was a member of a synchronized skating team in Denver. She took a leave from the team to go on the extended vacation.

“She talked about it as a trip of a lifetime and I think she and Robin felt like it was a wonderful way to celebrate their relationship, their love of travel, and adventure,” said Caitlyn Cattelino, Annie Korkki’s coach.

The Korkki family has now travelled to Seychelles to bring the sisters home and get more answers while awaiting autopsy results.

Investigators remain puzzled by the case were the two women apparently died at the same time, by the same cause, without a trace how it happened.
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/09/28/mystery-denver-woman-sister-found-dead-in-bed-african-resort/

I assume either drugged or an accidental overdose.
Probably not a bad assumption, CLouise.
American sisters found dead in $1,800-a-night Seychelles villa had fluid on their lungs often linked to drug overdoses, authorities say - as locals tell of 'cocaine culture' among tourists
  • Annie Korkki, 37, who worked for JP Morgan Chase in Denver, and Robin Korkki, 42, a trader from Chicago, were found dead on September 22
  • They were found unconscious in their villa at the Maia Luxury Resort and Spa in the Seychelles off the coast of Africa a week into their vacation
  • Authorities on the island say an autopsy found they both had fluid on their lungs and have ordered toxicology tests
  • Fluid on lungs is most commonly associated with drug overdoses but police declined to comment on that possibility
  • Police will not discuss whether they found illicit drugs in the hotel room but say they did find prescription drugs
  • Locals says tourists are known to come to the island and take cocaine
Link

--Al

Suicide pact?

Maybe. Based on the various photos of the sisters physicially connecting groin to hip, or breast to breast, with arms around each other, my years of dwelling on morbid stories made the immediate thought pop into my mind: "incestuous lesbian suicide pact."

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to cast any aspersions on the actual sisters. I fully realize this is a tragedy for their family and friends and may just be a horrible accident.

Just wondering though, did anyone else have the love-that-cannot-be-spoken thought?

Last edited:
Lots of really out-there theories floating around online. Isn't it usually the simplest answer that ends up being true?

Seems like a drug overdose would make sense- either taken voluntarily in an attempt to 'live it up' while on vaca or perhaps someone with malintentions slipped a drug into their drinks?

Of course @Oberle 's 'incestuous lesbian suicide pact' would make a much more exciting story!!;)

Just wondering though, did anyone else have the love-that-cannot-be-spoken thought?
Yes, yes I did. No suicide suspicions though.
First thought was that they scored bad drugs from local dealer and OD'd. Followed by thoughts of lezincest. Because...eeeyooo, too close in all the photos.
(Even my dear friends , twin sisters - hot babes- never stand so close. And they are very close, like many twins. Even slept in the same bed until they were 18 because they were so poor they lived in a small trailer with mom. )

Last edited:
Ooh a comment on another site has me wondering-
They mention a case in Thailand where the resort had been fumigating for bedbugs but used the wrong chemical & wound up killing the tourists who were staying in that room?

It would explain why they both passed at the same time & perhaps why there was fluid in the lungs- their intoxicated state could have prevented them from noticing the effects of the poison too?

Ooh a comment on another site has me wondering-
They mention a case in Thailand where the resort had been fumigating for bedbugs but used the wrong chemical & wound up killing the tourists who were staying in that room?

It would explain why they both passed at the same time & perhaps why there was fluid in the lungs- their intoxicated state could have prevented them from noticing the effects of the poison too?
I swear I remember that case in Thailand...it was a female American tourist and she was found dead in bed no signs of foul play or drug binge....I wish I could remember more...I don't know if they ever officially found the real COD, though. Hmm.

Anyone have a less swiss-cheese memory than me? Also I am too lazy to Google.
[doublepost=1475277471,1475277281][/doublepost]Also, these two were competitive athletes, no?

Hard to believe they would fuck up their bodies with a bunch of drugs, but, meh-happens all the time, I guess.

All I know is I am about useless the day after a lil partying and would not go for a run if I were being chased by a guy with a crossbow.

I like this. I lived in a roach infested apartment once. The treatment was mind numbing,

even after staying out of the unit for the required period of time. it lingered.

You have to figure that bed bugs don't care if the price the tag on the room is $1800.00 a night.

so possible.
[doublepost=1475278947,1475277888][/doublepost]
All I know is I am about useless the day after a lil partying and would not go for a run if I were being chased by a guy with a crossbow.

Seen Elton John last night had five Vodka's and Gingers plus my medication ... and fuck you

sneakers ... I am foggy and not safe at high speeds ...I wore uggs all day.

I like this. I lived in a roach infested apartment once. The treatment was mind numbing,

even after staying out of the unit for the required period of time. it lingered.

You have to figure that bed bugs don't care if the price the tag on the room is $1800.00 a night.

so possible.
[doublepost=1475278947,1475277888][/doublepost]

Seen Elton John last night had five Vodka's and Gingers plus my medication ... and fuck you

sneakers ... I am foggy and not safe at high speeds ...I wore uggs all day.

Kinda O/T-
We saw Elton a couple of years back- it was my mini's first concert EVER (she was 12)- he puts on such a great show!

And yes on the "oh HELLZ NAW" with the running shoes.....:hungover:

I swear I remember that case in Thailand...it was a female American tourist and she was found dead in bed no signs of foul play or drug binge....I wish I could remember more...I don't know if they ever officially found the real COD, though. Hmm.

Anyone have a less swiss-cheese memory than me? Also I am too lazy to Google.
Here ya go- strange coincidence in the Thailand case, it was also 2 sisters!

Deaths of Canadian sisters on Phi Phi Island in 2012 likely from phosphine, bedbug insecticide officially banned in Thai hotels. 20 deaths tied to Phosphine in Southeast Asia since 2009.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/491114/mystery-tourist-deaths-illegal-bedbug-spray

Carbon monoxide can also cause the same type of death.

Although there was a case in St Thomas a few months back of a family there that died from the toxic bug spray as well.

The weird thing about this case for me is that they had been in the room prior to that night.

I'm going with drugs. If they were both so inebriated that they had to be helped back to their rooms, at 8pm?
My guess is voluntary or involuntary drug ingestion.

Maybe it was voluntary when the resort slipped their bill under the door. :jawdrop:

Here ya go- strange coincidence in the Thailand case, it was also 2 sisters!

Deaths of Canadian sisters on Phi Phi Island in 2012 likely from phosphine, bedbug insecticide officially banned in Thai hotels. 20 deaths tied to Phosphine in Southeast Asia since 2009.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-news/491114/mystery-tourist-deaths-illegal-bedbug-spray

I either did not remember or did not see this story. Thanks for the very informative post.

Off topic, but this part grabbed my attention:

The Thai autopsies, conducted in Bangkok, suggested the sisters died after drinking a cocktail popular with the party crowd on the southern island. Served in plastic buckets, the drinks contain cough syrup, cola, [the insect repellent] DEET and the mild narcotic kratom.
Great googly moogly! We humans will do just about anything for a buzz. won't we? :YOW: Please remind me to never drink anything out of a bucket in Thailand. :depressed:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/mystery-s...es-resort-144804563--abc-news-topstories.html

Cause of death Pulmonary Edema

An autopsy determined the cause of death for both sisters as "acute pulmonary edema," a build up of fluid in the lungs. The autopsy determined that Annie also suffered a "cerebral edema," a swelling in the brain.

"When you are talking about pulmonary edema, that's a really big deal," said ABC News consultant and former FBI agent Brad Garrett said. "I would look primarily at drug use directly or indirectly by somebody else."

Maybe. Based on the various photos of the sisters physicially connecting groin to hip, or breast to breast, with arms around each other, my years of dwelling on morbid stories made the immediate thought pop into my mind: "incestuous lesbian suicide pact."

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to cast any aspersions on the actual sisters. I fully realize this is a tragedy for their family and friends and may just be a horrible accident.

You are friggin' warped; but I like where you're going with this ;) lmao!

There was speculation in the comment section of the link I posted that suggested it might be a case of the bends, that maybe they had been scuba diving earlier and not realized they had decompression sickness and went clubbing, drinking and drugging, which then masked any symptoms they may have been having.

I personally don't know about any of that, but it sounds as likely as anything else that's been mentioned.

... made the immediate thought pop into my mind: "incestuous lesbian suicide pact."

@Oberle, my thoughts didn't make it quite there, but I did instantly think "geez, ladies, could you stand any close together?!"

...case in Thailand where the resort had been fumigating for bedbugs but used the wrong chemical & wound up killing the tourists who were staying in that room...

Cause of death Pulmonary Edema

OKAY. So, my original theory was (& still is) accidental OD due to the negative effects of drug interactions. Meaning, by themselves, in the quantity taken, wouldn't necessarily be enough to kill someone, but the combo was the perfect deadly prescription. However, I DO think that they had to have had really high BAC's, plus their prescriptions. That's my number one theory.

Number two is similar to above, but swap in something like Xanax, muscle relaxers, or some painkillers that weren't being taken responsibly, if you're picking up what I'm laying down. Depressants + a lot of alcohol = say night night, maybe permanently. Still, accidental OD.

I think the most interesting theory is the fumigation one like the Thailand story. I would guess that the physical effects on the body would be similar to those of an overdose, right?

In a way, it's unfortunate that it's unlikely carbon monoxide. IMO, if I were to die in an unnatural way and I was able to choose how, I think that might be the least painful. You just nod off and don't wake up. I don't think CO is the cause of their deaths bc I don't think it could be isolated to their room... I think others would be affected... :shrug:

Anyway, now that I've added my 75 cents worth, everyone can relax and get back to their days. :kiss:

I think the most interesting theory is the fumigation one like the Thailand story. I would guess that the physical effects on the body would be similar to those of an overdose, right?
That depends on what the fumigant was. Some are nasty; some, one simply falls asleep and doesn't awaken.

--Al

This was kind of glossed over in the Daily Mail article provided by @Momzilla (thank you again!), but I thought it was, well... Kinda strange:

"Before sisters Annie and Robin Korkki were found dead on the same hotel bed, they embarked on what their Minnesota family called a “dream” African vacation: beach trips through Kenya, Tanzania, and Zanzibar; a safari; and one final stay at a luxury island resort in the Seychelles." (I only included the whole sentence for clarity. Source: http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/09/seychelles-police-reveal-annie-robin-korkki-cause-of-death.html )

Also, if you read the article-really short- you'll see that the writer says their initial causes of death are different, whereas all other sources are saying they're the same, except that the one sister also had the brain edema or whatever... (I'm trying to do this from memory- and my memory is complete shit, so my apologies!)

This is such a strange case!

I think questioning their closeness is really odd, guess iit depends on culture, that's really normal with both family and friends in most places I've been except in the United States, where people seem really uptight about everything, especially about nudity and physical contact

Back