• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Abroad

Veteran Member
Five men and two women have been arrested on suspicion of involvement in a €75m ($80m, £64m) diamond heist in 2005 at Amsterdam's Schiphol airport, police in the Netherlands say.

The seven Dutch nationals were arrested in Amsterdam and Valencia in Spain.

The armed gang, disguised as airport workers, stole the diamonds as they were about to be put onto a plane.

Some of the diamonds were recovered from a getaway car but stones worth an estimated €40m are still missing.

Correspondents say the theft was one of the world's biggest ever jewellery heists.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38705870

Only idiot fucktards think diamonds are cool or valuable

Well they ARE valuable, but I never understood why. My wedding set has diamonds but small ones surrounding a gemstone. I think diamonds are sparkly and all but I'd rather travel and have a nice crib.

Well they ARE valuable, but I never understood why. My wedding set has diamonds but small ones surrounding a gemstone. I think diamonds are sparkly and all but I'd rather travel and have a nice crib.

They're valuable because Israeli corporations said so and dumbasses throughout the world fell head over heels for the nonsense.
[doublepost=1485046183,1485046057][/doublepost]
i take it, youve never purchased an engagement ring ...

A trash ass jewelry store selling them for farrrr more then the junk is worth doesn't make them valuable in my mind, not truly. It's a superficial level of value, one that only exists because, again, dumbasses buy into the shit.

They're good for laser etching and industrial cutting and drilling, but that's the extent of their actual value.

They're valuable because Israeli corporations said so and dumbasses throughout the world fell head over heels for the nonsense.
[doublepost=1485046183,1485046057][/doublepost]

A trash ass jewelry store selling them for farrrr more then the junk is worth doesn't make them valuable in my mind, not truly. It's a superficial level of value, one that only exists because, again, dumbasses buy into the shit.

They're good for laser etching and industrial cutting and drilling, but that's the extent of their actual value.

My ring was actually modeled on my grandmother's ring from her wedding in 1926. She had 18k gold with an amethyst and diamond princess setting. Mine is platinum with aquamarine and small diamonds.

I am not totally sure, but I think I read that diamonds were not de rigueur until after WW1.

I am sure I will be corrected if wrong.

I also wonder why gold obtained value. It is an incredibly soft metal,so aside from "ooooo, shiny", I cannot imagine how it first was deemed to be a basis for currency.

I also wonder why gold obtained value. It is an incredibly soft metal,so aside from "ooooo, shiny", I cannot imagine how it first was deemed to be a basis for currency.

It being soft is a big part of it. You need something that can easily be melted down, formed into convenient shapes for the purpose of currency or storage.

It being soft is a big part of it. You need something that can easily be melted down, formed into convenient shapes for the purpose of currency or storage.

Good to know.

But, I still wonder how gold and diamonds went from "ooohhh, purty" to the standards upon which we base our economy....in the beginning.

Why not quartz, fiddlehead ferns or sharks' teeth?

We don't base our economy on diamonds. It's just some not so scarce rock that some corporations decided to throw into a lab and make into something pretty and then convince dipshits it was precious and rare and they should pay absurd amounts of money for it.

if you own a computer or cell the microchip inside it has a man made diamond grown onto it allowing it certain properties and if you like fucking a wonderful woman for an extended length of time a diamond is helpful.... both very worth it values

if you own a computer or cell the microchip inside it has a man made diamond grown onto it allowing it certain properties and if you like fucking a wonderful woman for an extended length of time a diamond is helpful.... both very worth it values

Only if your wonderful woman digs diamonds.

There are plenty of us who prefer a man who just digs us even when we are at our worst and will occasionally unload the damned dishwasher. And brings soup and Gatorade when we are sick.

Apologies to my wimnens who like the shinies. I like em too, but priorities.....

ive been smacked for giving .. so i really just dont want to hear it

Well that just sucks. I am sorry. Any kind gift should be appreciated for it's sentiment.

Mr. Knot and I always try to give one another mutual gifts for Christmas and anniversaries. Vacations, furniture, etc.

Birthdays are for the more personal gifts.

I don't hold it against any woman for loving the shinies. I am just not one. I love the vacations more. <3

They are valuable only because they are released in a trickle to control the margins. I'll take a nice emerald or ruby over a diamond any day.

Ease of shaping is one part, the other is that it doesn't tarnish. The surface will always be equally shiny.

Back