• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/duck-walk...ry-school-161603780--abc-news-topstories.html

HT_Graduation_ducks_05_hb_160527_16x9_992.jpg

With a bow tie and diaper on, Sergio the duck proudly walked -- er, waddled -- alongside graduating sixth graders at an elementary school commencement ceremony in Melbourne, Florida, this week.

It was a bittersweet moment for Sergio, who had grown up with the graduating students, according to Suntree Elementary School sixth grade teacher Jana Gabrielski. The duck has always been by the kids' sides ever since he first hatched in February, she said.

"We all love Sergio," Gabrielski told ABC News today. "He was the star of our class. Every year at the graduation ceremony, we show a slideshow of what students said their best memory was from school. Of course, for so many of them, it was Sergio."

The beloved class pet was a "miracle" for the students, Gabrielski said. She explained that out of the 30 to 40 duck eggs they tried to hatch as part of a science lesson, he was the only one who was born.

"We thought we would keep him for a week then take him to a farm," Gabrielski said. "But of course, he was adorable, and all the kids loved him. One week stretched into another, and he eventually we just decided to keep him."

The duck even got a special "squad" to cater to all his needs, she laughed.

"It was a group of eight kids, who called themselves the 'Sergio Squad,'" she said. "They would come to school half an hour early to clean, fill his pool and build his pen."

The duck soon imprinted on the students and became a full-fledged member of the class.

"He wears diapers -- yes, they have special duck diapers online -- and wanders around the class," Gabrielski said. "He sits at the kids' feet, plays around with their backpack straps and when the kids sit on the floor, he just crawls right up into their laps.

"He's just as sweet as can be," she added. "He follows everyone around, and he's so funny. Sometimes when we're outside coming back in, he'll be like, 'Quack! Quack! Come on in, kids!'"

Now that class is out, Sergio is temporarily staying with one of the graduated students for the summer before coming back to the school, Gabrielski said. In August, he'll be ready to welcome a new group of sixth graders.

"We already started training a few kids who were in fifth grade this year," she said. "They already love him and are ready to take on the role of the next Sergio Squad."

Awwwwwwww<3<3

He's as smart as Jethro, now! LOL

What do you call a class pet Florida

Valedictorian

BTW, i intentionally didn't go with "valeDUCKtorian", cuz you people don't deserve the laugh it would have provided, plus it would have overshadowed the punchline that Florida is full of idiots.

Now that class is out, Sergio is temporarily staying with one of the graduated students for the summer before coming back to the school, Gabrielski said. In August, he'll be ready to welcome a new group of sixth graders.
Thats a shame. The kids should have had a nice duck lunch on the last day of school. Learning to rsise your own food, That would have been a good life skill.

Thats a shame. The kids should have had a nice duck lunch on the last day of school. Learning to rsise your own food, That would have been a good life skill.

I doubt the school lunch lady can properly prepare a duck in a way that would be paletteable for younger children plus there's not enough meat for that many students. Sergios siblings would have had to make the journey as well.

I doubt the school lunch lady can properly prepare a duck in a way that would be paletteable for younger children plus there's not enough meat for that many students. Sergios siblings would have had to make the journey as well.
Well I guess there is hope for the next group of up and coming sixth graders.

(You know I was only kidding. It would be traumatic for them to eat him after befriending him. Even I'm not that hard.
We never treated our food like pets. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you do.)

Well I guess there is hope for the next group of up and coming sixth graders.

(You know I was only kidding. It would be traumatic for them to eat him after befriending him. Even I'm not that hard.
We never treated our food like pets. It leaves a bad taste in your mouth when you do.)

It sure does.

When we lived in Texas we would get fresh crab. Once we had so many that I kept one and named him George. One day I came home and couldn't find George but there was crab for dinner.

The only time in my life I refused crab legs.

Back