• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/second-sea-lion-attack-in-24-hours-near-san-francisco/
[....]
The aggressive behavior is so unusual for sea lions that officials think the same animal attacked both swimmers, a park spokesman said.

A sea lion bit a man in the groin area Friday as he swam in the waters off San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park, park spokesman Lynn Cullivan said. It was "a very serious bite," and the man was taken to a hospital, he said.

Witnesses told CBS San Francisco a man in his 60s was bitten as he was swimming around 8:00 a.m.

"A sea lion came up from underneath and grabbed him on the inside of his thigh," eyewitness Andrew Burrell told CBS San Francisco.
[....]
The victim was taken to an area hospital with three lacerations to his upper leg.

The cove hosts swimming and rowing clubs and is a favorite spot for dedicated swimmers. It's usually a transit area for sea lions heading to Pier 39, where they congregate, Cullivan said.

The area just off Ghirardelli Square, a popular square with shops and restaurants, will be closed to swimmers until Monday, he said.

Another swimmer was seriously injured Thursday after a sea lion bit him on the arm. Officers applied a tourniquet and he was transported to a hospital, where he had a least two surgeries.

Christian Einfeldt believes the animal trailed him as he swam from the beach to the mouth of the cove. When he turned to swim back, the massive sea lion was right there, he told San Francisco television station KGO.

"I did feel threatened. I did have warning. But I was a quarter-mile from shore. There was nothing I could do," Einfeldt said between surgeries.

When the sea lion got near Einfeldt, he splashed water on it, but the animal did not go away, said Matthew Reiter with the San Francisco Police Department's Marine Unit.

"When it didn't work, he yelled at it and then the sea lion came up and bit him on the arm," Reiter said.

He started steadily bleeding. Knowing he could not swim back, Einfeldt said he flagged down a sailboat.
[....]
"It could just be a sea lion being territorial, or it could be an injured or sick mammal," he said.

Cullivan said the swimmers were closer to the bay than to the shore when they were attacked.

"People think the bay is their backyard, but it really is the beginning of the wilderness," he said. "There is wilderness out there."

they're getting fed up with being messed with. You know when they are at that point, decades ago on the SF wharf I went under dock to one of their mega hang out platforms the bulls got in front ofthemommas and babies and they all dove off in the water & I didn't go any closer than I was or move as they bared their very big dog like teeth until they bailed too. It was stupid of me but I didn't notch it up

Weeellll, stay out of the water, the sea life owns it, not you, looks like the sea lions are sick of you befouling their front yard.

I love the fact that San Francisco is the kind of place that will give over a couple of mooring docks to the sea lions.

My first thought, why are they so hungry as to sample a human? Has something happened to their usual prey?

Last edited:
I love the fact that San Francisco is the kind of place that will give over a couple of mooring docks to the sea lions.

My first thought, why are they so hungry as to sample a human? Has something happened to their usual prey?
that would not be hunger but territory rage, either he got too close to one of there spots or stayed too close to where they were. there's also been cases of idiots snatching pups placed hidden on the shore so he could have been close to one of those spots.

That Sea lion was an asshole with no regard for our well being.

I'll bet all of the other sea lions wouldn't let him join in any sea lion games.

Back