• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Keepalowprofile

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/05/28/rocky-ford-infant-death

ROCKY FORD — The boyfriend of a woman whose infant daughter died in the southern Colorado town of Rocky Ford has been arrested on suspicion of child abuse resulting in death.

[...] 20-year-old Ryan Casias was being held in Otero County Jail on $150,000 bond.

One-year-old Jayleianna Rivas Trujillo was found unresponsive May 20 in a home shared by Casias and the baby’s mother, Maryah.

A coroner’s report found the baby died of blunt force trauma to the head.

Arrest documents say the baby had previously been removed from the home and placed in foster care because of suspected abuse.
[...]
The Colorado Bureau of Investigation says its agents and Rocky Ford police are continuing an investigation.

qMNQz5U.jpg

CMM1Uuw.jpg

http://www.kktv.com/content/news/Co...-babys-death-CBI-investigating-424233283.html

Arrest papers obtained by 11 News show Jayleianna had only been back with her mother and Casias for nine days after she had been removed and placed in foster care because of suspected abuse. She died Saturday after being found unresponsive in her bed by her mother, according to the arrest affidavit.

Jayleianna and her mother Maryah had been living with Casias and his parents for the last five months. Casias is not Jayleianna's father. Jayleianna was removed from the home after two separate incidents in just two months, a fractured leg in February and broken fingers in March. No suspects were named in those cases.

Jayleianna's mother told police that she put her to bed the night before she died and that Casias had gotten up in the middle of the night when she started crying. Casias admitted to getting up to soothe the baby but left her sleeping, arrest papers said. Later that morning her mother found her not breathing and called 911.

Jayleianna died of repeated blunt force trauma to the back of her head, the coroner said. The morning of Jayleianna's death, Casias had an injured fist, so much so that he was having trouble signing paperwork. He reportedly told investigators and family members conflicting stories about how he'd injured it.

11 News has reached out to the Otero County Department of Human Services to see why Jayleianna was allowed back into the care of her mother and Casias and has not yet received a response.​

I just bet Casias had a injured fist as it was used as an instrument to deliver blunt force blows to the back of an infants head resulting in her death. One wonders what response Otero County Department of Human services could possibly be. The same ole same ole excuses is my safe bet, all lacking in anything that approaches substance and worth.

If mom had spent half as much time choosing her boyfriend as she did a cutesy name for her baby, the baby girl might be alive.
"Casias admitted to getting up to soothe punch the baby but left her sleeping unconscious, arrest papers said. "

Why do these guys chose woman with babies if they are not willing to leave the child in peace? Is it that hard to get a girlfriend? Or do they want a live punching bag?

Also, the baby had previously suffered TWO incidents of broken bones living in the same house with that guy. Yet mom let him go soothe/break the baby.

Why do these guys chose woman with babies if they are not willing to leave the child in peace? Is it that hard to get a girlfriend? Or do they want a live punching bag?
Because they come with benefits.
Its either a child support check from the bio dad or welfare benefits.
Along with that is snap and wic.
[doublepost=1496074948,1496074811][/doublepost]Why the fuck did this mother alow him to go take care of the baby.

Certainly from the past broken leg and finger, she knows if she didnt do it he did. Why would she allow him near her baby.

Yummy yummy dick i guess.

I wonder what the stats for continuing abuse after reunification. The really need to stop placing them back.
Most states work the same in that a child protection unit removes the child (ex. NY ACS, NJ-DYFS) as an emergency. A contract foster agency places the child into an emergency foster boarding home. If a child is hospitalized obviously that changes it a bit. A meeting is held within 48 hours to determine if the child will be placed in foster care or returned to the parent. The 48 hour is the investigation period and a meeting is held. A plan can be instituted at this time even if the child is returned home. So there still should be follow up before the case is closed.

When a child is placed in foster care (definitely NY) every six months you go in front of a judge that will decide if the child is returned home. Often the parent can be ordered to do parenting classes, mental health screening and drug counseling with mandatory screenings. The agency can recommend that the child be returned to the home but the judge makes the final decision (sometimes against the agency' recommendation). Again for New York the ultimate goal is reunification because they do not want the children to languish in foster care. Terminating parental rights is a long process and the parent in most cases is given a long leash. You have to search for a father before the rights are terminated.

In my son's case there was never a father and the mother disappeared so a punitive father was searched as well as public assistance search to see if his mother was receiving services anywhere. The TPR for my son took about 2 years. I was his SW so I than had to plan for his adoption

In some cases the mother is still allowed visitation during this process. I took three children to a prison to visit their mother, I was able to get her to surrender her rights to the two girls and I believe it was two younger boys. She had a child while in prison that was going to remain with her and she planned for the child on my caseload.

The problem is that there are so many rules and policies that are often in the benefit of the biological parent. They do not want you to judge the birth parent but since you are advocating for return or remaining in care you are judging her. You can not penalize her if she is a victim of DV although it could cause harm to the children. This is why many women use that as a defense.

I wonder what the stats for continuing abuse after reunification. The really need to stop placing them back.

SugarCookie gave good info. In addition, at least for me here in Texas, one of the most frustrating things about being CPS was when I KNEW that home was not safe and the judge made me give them back anyway.
That's the paradox for CPS. A judge has to sign off on every removal. You can ask to remove and a judge tell you no, or you can say a home isn't safe to return the kids to and the judge makes you anyway. The ultimate decision lies with the judge, CPS only "recommends". YET...and here is the kicker...if the judge refuses you the removal or returns the kids to an unsafe home and it goes bad...who do you think gets the blame? UH-huh. Not the judge. Just sayin'.
Power has it's priviliges, and it's protections. As my CPS supervisor used to say, "Shit rolls downhill."

Why was the baby returned to the house?

Cuz the standards the State uses are pathetically easy to meet and the State is hellbent on preserving the parental relationship and for a fact put the parents feelings and needs and desires above the safety of children.

None of this can be denied.
[doublepost=1496091186,1496090776][/doublepost]
Again for New York the ultimate goal is reunification because they do not want the children to languish in foster care. Terminating parental rights is a long process and the parent in most cases is given a long leash. You have to search for a father before the rights are terminated.

Not sure if NY is the same, but in the several states i've had dealings with the issue isn't just an aversion to children languishing in foster care. Even in situations like mine where a ready safe stable home was available, the trash parents still recieve unparalelled special treatment and attention and fucking everyone went out of their way to try to rehab them or at least go through enough motions to justify giving kids back to em.

When it comes to CPS in this country, parents are the be all, end all. They fucking RUN that shit, no doubt about it.

The govt has legally mandated that parental reunification shall forever be the primary goal and focus, the children be damned. For some outrageous, insane reason, society refuses to accept that giving birth to something doesnt mean shit.

Cuz the standards the State uses are pathetically easy to meet and the State is hellbent on preserving the parental relationship and for a fact put the parents feelings and needs and desires above the safety of children.

None of this can be denied.
[doublepost=1496091186,1496090776][/doublepost]

Not sure if NY is the same, but in the several states i've had dealings with the issue isn't just an aversion to children languishing in foster care. Even in situations like mine where a ready safe stable home was available, the trash parents still recieve unparalelled special treatment and attention and fucking everyone went out of their way to try to rehab them or at least go through enough motions to justify giving kids back to em.

When it comes to CPS in this country, parents are the be all, end all. They fucking RUN that shit, no doubt about it.

The govt has legally mandated that parental reunification shall forever be the primary goal and focus, the children be damned. For some outrageous, insane reason, society refuses to accept that giving birth to something doesnt mean shit.

I think that when a child dies (in New York) they will be more pro active in removing kids because the CPS workers are increased. Also every administration is different and brings in their own people. At one point NY was running a program (if I remember) called Family to Family. They wanted the BFs to be able to partner with the FFS. They wanted the foster family to let the birth family visit in their homes. Children were also to be placed in their communities unless a protection order was in place. As you said the ultimate goal was for reunification.

I was a Therapeutic Social Worker and many of those children were older and were not going to be adopted. They often returned to the Bio Families when they aged out even if the rights were terminated. There was a law suit because children were removed from the mothers who were being abused. I wish I remembered the year, but it did happen so there probably is special treatment, but women in general are given many passes for bad behavior and poor parenting in this country.
[doublepost=1496095491][/doublepost]
SugarCookie gave good info. In addition, at least for me here in Texas, one of the most frustrating things about being CPS was when I KNEW that home was not safe and the judge made me give them back anyway.
That's the paradox for CPS. A judge has to sign off on every removal. You can ask to remove and a judge tell you no, or you can say a home isn't safe to return the kids to and the judge makes you anyway. The ultimate decision lies with the judge, CPS only "recommends". YET...and here is the kicker...if the judge refuses you the removal or returns the kids to an unsafe home and it goes bad...who do you think gets the blame? UH-huh. Not the judge. Just sayin'.
Power has it's priviliges, and it's protections. As my CPS supervisor used to say, "Shit rolls downhill."
Inregards to blame, Lapus is a hundred percent correct. Also if a parent still has rights to the child and the child dies while in care the parents often sue and receive a settlement. The system is not about keeping children safe and once people stop putting the needs of the mothers and fathers first the system will work better. How do you feel about placement with family members? I was not a big fan of that.

why the fuck did this mother alow him to go take care of the baby.
I'm thinking drunk or stoned since it does not state she was at work when it occurred. Or was she so desperate to believe in the relationship and the fantasy of security and family life with him that she turned a blind eye to all evidence of abuse?
Baby taken into care TWICE in five months because of broken bones!? And she's surprised the baby is dead...

Last edited:
Most states work the same in that a child protection unit removes the child (ex. NY ACS, NJ-DYFS) as an emergency. A contract foster agency places the child into an emergency foster boarding home. If a child is hospitalized obviously that changes it a bit. A meeting is held within 48 hours to determine if the child will be placed in foster care or returned to the parent. The 48 hour is the investigation period and a meeting is held. A plan can be instituted at this time even if the child is returned home. So there still should be follow up before the case is closed.

When a child is placed in foster care (definitely NY) every six months you go in front of a judge that will decide if the child is returned home. Often the parent can be ordered to do parenting classes, mental health screening and drug counseling with mandatory screenings. The agency can recommend that the child be returned to the home but the judge makes the final decision (sometimes against the agency' recommendation). Again for New York the ultimate goal is reunification because they do not want the children to languish in foster care. Terminating parental rights is a long process and the parent in most cases is given a long leash. You have to search for a father before the rights are terminated.

In my son's case there was never a father and the mother disappeared so a punitive father was searched as well as public assistance search to see if his mother was receiving services anywhere. The TPR for my son took about 2 years. I was his SW so I than had to plan for his adoption

In some cases the mother is still allowed visitation during this process. I took three children to a prison to visit their mother, I was able to get her to surrender her rights to the two girls and I believe it was two younger boys. She had a child while in prison that was going to remain with her and she planned for the child on my caseload.

The problem is that there are so many rules and policies that are often in the benefit of the biological parent. They do not want you to judge the birth parent but since you are advocating for return or remaining in care you are judging her. You can not penalize her if she is a victim of DV although it could cause harm to the children. This is why many women use that as a defense.
Thank you for providing that information.

They wanted the foster family to let the birth family visit in their

This is fucking MADNESS! Many of these bio parents are scum of the fucking earth. I cant think of a worse idea then to allow shitheads like that into your home.

There was a law suit because children were removed from the mothers who were being abused. I wish I remembered the year, but it did happen so there probably is special treatment, but women in general are given many passes for bad behavior and poor parenting in this country.

Oh there most def is special treatment and women most def are given passes for bad behavior. What's disgustin is how many of these cases involve the mom repeatedly CHOOSING an abusive partner over their children, repeatedly CHOOSING to place their children in an environment like that. Moms like that shouldnt be given be given a pass.

that woman helped murder her own child, and I think women like her should be held accountable for their part. Not gonna happen tho

Back