• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
2vxhym1.jpg

Robert Malick​
[...]
Joan Schoppaul’s body was found wrapped in a sleeping bag behind a dumpster in Virginia Beach on Dec. 5, 1990, one day after her worried parents filed a missing persons report. Her death was ruled a homicide and police launched an extensive search for her killer
[...]
Now, 24 years later
[...]
thanks to advanced technology and new forensic techniques – they arrested a suspect in this case. On Dec. 15, with the assistance of Pennsylvania State Police, detectives located and arrested Robert William Malick.
Malick, 46, has been charged with second degree murder and is awaiting extradition
[...]
Daphne Saxon, a friend of Schoppaul, told 10 On Your Side “24 years is a long time.” She said much of it was spent trying to figure out what happened to her friend.

“I’ve always had fears ever since this has happened that he was going to do something to me,” she told
[...]
“Even though I didn’t know who it was because of that, it caused a lot of mental health problems with me.”
[...]
she went into deep depression because of the many unanswered questions. Jeanette Richardson knows of the experience first-hand. She started the Virginia Beach chapter of the national organization – Parents of Murdered Children.

“It’s just a heartbreaking experience when you do not have any kind of indication as to who this person was and why they would do such a thing. It just adds to the heartbreak that much more,”
[...]
Although they wouldn’t talk on camera, Virginia Beach police said it was forensics that led them to arrest the 46-year-old man. He was 22 when police said he killed
[....]
Schoppaul.

“I’m glad that they have this DNA and stuff because it might have never been opened. It might have never been found. This guy could be still going around
[...]
Richardson hopes this new development – heating up this cold case – is enough for other families not to give up.

“I would hope that they would have a little bit of hope to think that there is hope out there that maybe their child’s murderer or their loved ones murdered might be brought to justice with this science,
[...]
http://wavy.com/2014/12/18/suspect-arrested-for-teens-1990-murder/
15xn02x.jpg

Joan Schoppaul​

I really like, and am encouraged by, stories like this. With the advancement of DNA - which continues to become more precise all the time - I look forward to reading about more cases solved this way.
Recently, I even read about a new way to extract DNA from a persons ashes after cremation.

Back