• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

GirouxFilms

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ETM6uc4V5E

(CNN)
-- To the families of the victims, Ethan Couch was a killer on the road, a drunken teenage driver who caused a crash that left four people dead.

To the defense, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affluenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.

To a judge, who sentenced Couch to 10 years' probation but no jail time, he's a defendant in need of treatment.

The decision disappointed prosecutors and stunned victims' family members, who say they feel that Couch got off too easy. Prosecutors had asked for the maximum of 20 years behind bars

"Let's face it. ... There needs to be some justice here," Eric Boyles, who lost his wife and daughter, told CNN's "Anderson Cooper 360" on Wednesday night.

"For 25 weeks, I've been going through a healing process. And so when the verdict came out, I mean, my immediate reaction is -- I'm back to week 1. We have accomplished nothing here. My healing process is out the window," he said.

Lawyers for Couch, 16, had argued that the teen's parents should share part of the blame for the crash because they never set limits for the boy and gave him everything he wanted.

According to CNN affiliate WFAA, a psychologist called by the defense described Couch as a product of "affluenza."

He reportedly testified that the teen's family felt wealth bought privilege, and that Couch's life could be turned around with one to two years of treatment and no contact with his parents.

Couch was sentenced by a juvenile court judge Tuesday. If he violates the terms of his probation, he could face up to 10 years of incarceration, according to a statement from the Tarrant County Criminal District Attorney's Office.

Judge Jean Boyd told the court she would not release Couch to his parents, but would work to find the teen a long-term treatment facility.

"There are absolutely no consequences for what occurred that day," said Boyles. "The primary message has to absolutely be that money and privilege can't buy justice in this country."

His wife, Hollie Boyles, and daughter, Shelby, left their home to help Breanna Mitchell, whose SUV had broken down. Brian Jennings, a youth pastor, was driving past and also stopped to help.

All four were killed when the teen's pickup plowed into the pedestrians on a road in Burleson, south of Fort Worth. Couch's vehicle also struck a parked car, which then slid into another vehicle headed in the opposite direction.

Two people riding in the bed of the teen's pickup were tossed in the crash and severely injured.

One is no longer able to move or talk because of a brain injury, while the other suffered internal injuries and broken bones.

"There is nothing the judge could have done to lessen the suffering for any of those families," said defense attorney Scott Brown, CNN affiliate KTVT reported.

"(The judge) fashioned a sentence that is going to keep Ethan under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years," he said. "And if Ethan doesn't do what he's supposed to do, if he has one misstep at all, then this judge, or an adult judge when he's transferred, can then incarcerate him."

Earlier on the night of the accident, June 15, Couch and some friends had stolen beer from a local Walmart. Three hours after the crash, tests showed he had a blood alcohol content of 0.24, three times the legal limit, according to the district attorney's office.

"We are disappointed by the punishment assessed but have no power under the law to change or overturn it," said Assistant District Attorney Richard Alpert. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and we regret that this outcome has added to the pain and suffering they have endured."

It is very rare, but not impossible, for prosecutors to challenge the sentence on the ground that it was too lenient, CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin said.

"To give him a pass this time given the egregious nature of his conduct -- four deaths -- is just incomprehensible," she said.

It is unfair that other young defendants without the same wealth could end up in jail for a lot less, said Hostin, of CNN's "New Day" morning show.

"I think in terms of policy, this really flies in the face of our criminal justice system," she said. "There have to be consequences to actions, and that is what our system is about, even for juveniles."

I agree; the parents DO bear some responsibility here.

They each deserve a slap across the face and to be told, "HEY YOU, YOU'RE SHITTY-ASS FUCKING PARENTS!"

But that's the extent of it.

each family should be compensated for their loss

I agree. That and a memorial site; they should also do whatever they legally can do to keep this story in the news. They need the Court of Public Opinion to raise a stink. I think they should be sued till they're broke. That is about all you can do these days.
I almost forgot! I know convictions can be overturned and sentences can be appealed; do you think his probation could be revoked and he could receive an equivalent prison time? as hell! I'm just pissed

do you think his probation could be revoked and he could receive an equivalent prison time?

If this does stay in the the spotlight for the next 2 years, when he turns 18, I think this should be pushed for. Or that kid is going to die from lack of remorse by those upset about our "justice system."

"There is nothing the judge could have done to lessen the suffering for any of those families,"
By that logic, all sentences for all death and injury cases should be vacated, as the punishment for the perpetrator does nothing to lessen the loss of the victims families. Miscarriage of justice doesn't begin to describe this paltry sentence, and once again, this kid gets the message that it's all about coddling him.

That $450,000 the parents/enablers want to spend on treatment should go to the families and then some and their precious snowflake can sit his privileged ass in a Texas prison for a good 20 years, fuck from up North here I will gladly contribute to his incarceration bills.

To the families of the victims, Ethan Couch was a killer on the road, a drunken teenage driver who caused a crash that left four people dead.
To the defense, the youth is himself a victim -- of "affluenza," according to one psychologist -- the product of wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for the boy.

Spoiled, piece of shit ..

We'll be hearing his name again sometime in the next year or two ..

Wow, that is interesting, my company had actually put in quotes with Cleburne Sheet Metal (just didnt work out, they couldnt do what we needed).

I hope they do lose everything, I am pretty sure once the word gets out, Daddy's business is going to lose some customers and clients.

Meet The Parents

Texas ‘Affluenza’ Teen Ethan Couch’s Father & Mother Have Detailed Criminal Records — ZERO Prison Punishment
According to a report from Mail Online, citing municipal records, Couch’s father Fred, 48, and mother Tonya have cumulatively racked up more than 20 criminal and traffic offense dating back nearly 25 years, though like their son, neither has felt the steely confines of a prison cell. (Most of the larger cases against the duo had been dismissed, though in two theft cases, Fred made restitution to his accusers, making the cases go away.)
Fred Couch — who reportedly let Ethan live on his own after his split from Tonya — has had four criminal misdemeanor allegations and 18 traffic citations (paying for nine of those). He’s been arrested in connection with theft, evading arrest and domestic violence. The latter occurred in 1996, when he was accused of assault against his ex-wife Tonya. Fred, according to court records, “intentionally and knowingly caused bodily injury to Tonya Couch by striking [the woman] on or about the face with his hands causing Tonya to fall, and by grabbing [the woman] on or about the neck with his hands, scratching [the woman's] neck.”

He got out of it when Tonya agreed to a sworn affidavit of non-prosecution, making the case go away.

As for Tonya, her biggest legal infraction came ten years ago — and on the road — when she was fined $500 and sentenced to six months of community supervision in connection with misdemeanor reckless driving, after authorities said she tried to run another driver off the road. Tonya, according to court docs, “intentionally and knowingly drove a motor vehicle in a willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.”
http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2013/12/teen-drunk-driver-ethan-couch-rich-house-affluenza-texas/

EXCLUSIVE - Sins of the 'affluenza' boy's parents: Millionaire father and mother of teen let off despite killing four in DUI crash have been accused of more than TWENTY crimes and traffic violations
Respectable face: Frederick Couch (left) who owns a metal works, Cleburne Sheet Metal, that has an estimated yearly turnover of $15 million and around 30 staff is seen in a picture from a company brochure while (right) is Tonya

MailOnline gave a shocking insight into just how spoiled Couch was. He regularly boasted to friends that he lived in his own mansion, completely unsupervised by his parents – who are now divorced - and used to host wild, alcohol-fueled parties at the luxurious property in Burleson, Texas. He had been partying at the house unsupervised on the night of the accident.

Teenager Anthony Lamanna was invited to ‘Couch’s house’ just three days before the deadly wreck. He had never met the teenager before and was stunned by what he saw.

He said: ‘Ethan lived in this big place with a long winding drive way that went all the way round to his back yard, which had a large pool in it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-affluenza-teen-20-arrests-citations.html

Meet The Parents
I think that kid should give his house to me. And go to jail.
See, money really can buy you anything. Keep telling these kids that.
"Oh, you wanna drive severely drunk and kill four people. (and injure your friends) If you got the money, you'll just get probation".

A 16-year-old sentenced last week to 10 years’ probation after acknowledging that he killed four people while driving drunk could still serve time if a last-ditch effort by prosecutors is successful.
Tarrant County District Attorney Joe Shannon is asking a juvenile judge to put the driver, Ethan Couch, behind bars on two counts of intoxication assault that he says are still pending before the court.

Two teens riding in the back of Couch’s pickup on the night of the fatal crash suffered critical injuries. One, Sergio Molina, is paralyzed and can communicate only by blinking, according to testimony in last week’s trial.

“During his recent trial, the 16-year-old admitted his guilt in four cases of intoxication manslaughter and two cases of intoxication assault,” Shannon said in an email to the Star-Telegram. “There has been no verdict formally entered in the two intoxication assault cases. Every case deserves a verdict.

“The district attorney’s office is asking the court to incarcerate the teen on the two intoxication assault cases.”

Shannon said he could not comment further due to the limitations in the Family Code.

It was not immediately clear what might happen next. An email sent to state District Judge Jean Boyd via her court coordinator did not receive a response Tuesday afternoon.
http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/12/17/v-print/5426823/tarrant-prosecutors-try-again.html?rh=1

Fingers crossed that the judge feels the heat from all the publicity and puts this little fucker behind bars for the holidays, and the ones in years to come.

I won't be satisfied until he's in jail and the parents have lost every penny to the victims. I was elated when I found out there's still a chance for jail. And just because you have lots of money doesn't mean you're not white trash. The whole family are douchebags.

I won't be satisfied until he's in jail and the parents have lost every penny to the victims. I was elated when I found out there's still a chance for jail. And just because you have lots of money doesn't mean you're not white trash. The whole family are douchebags.

He will fuck up, I guarantee it.

We should start taking bets, Im gonna be slightly optimistic and give him 6 months (from the court date, its been a few weeks now)

When looking at this as trying to make the best out of a heartbreaking situation and please know my compassion for the victims is enormous and I felt the same way as everyone reading the title, but after reading the story, my perspective changed. I don't feel like the sentence he got was "light", yes he was afforded an opportunity that many would not be afforded because of the families income, but that is just life. If we put ourselves in the shoes of this family, isn't that what you would want for our own kid? Yes, I would want my son to have remorse and be punished, but I don't feel like being made a victim in prison or juvie is helpful to anyone. I don't feel like an in house treatment is the same as sitting at home. I don't believe he would learn anything of value if he was thrown in Juvie to rot, except maybe how to be more violent or be a better criminal. I also feel like 10 years of court supervision was important and if he is ignorant enough to not take advantage of this GIFT that he has been given, he will go to jail. At this point, the best we can hope for is that this Asshole, can grow up into not just a productive member of society, but a productive and GIVING member of society. This stupid kid is not a pedophile, I don't think its good for society to treat every criminal as irreparable, even if his screw up is. We can't bring back the victims and they deserve monetary compensation, not that it will help heal their loss but at least they can grieve without stress if they had the money and if the offender gets to benefit from the family's wealth, then the victim's family deserves more of that benefit for sure.

I don't feel like being made a victim in prison or juvie is helpful to anyone
No one is made a victim, they are either Guilty or Not-Guilty. Other then the few horrid times where people are jailed and are wrongfully accused, this boy is in fact Guilty.

I appreciate your valid opinion in general, though!

When looking at this as trying to make the best out of a heartbreaking situation and please know my compassion for the victims is enormous and I felt the same way as everyone reading the title, but after reading the story, my perspective changed. I don't feel like the sentence he got was "light", yes he was afforded an opportunity that many would not be afforded because of the families income, but that is just life. If we put ourselves in the shoes of this family, isn't that what you would want for our own kid? Yes, I would want my son to have remorse and be punished, but I don't feel like being made a victim in prison or juvie is helpful to anyone. I don't feel like an in house treatment is the same as sitting at home. I don't believe he would learn anything of value if he was thrown in Juvie to rot, except maybe how to be more violent or be a better criminal. I also feel like 10 years of court supervision was important and if he is ignorant enough to not take advantage of this GIFT that he has been given, he will go to jail. At this point, the best we can hope for is that this Asshole, can grow up into not just a productive member of society, but a productive and GIVING member of society. This stupid kid is not a pedophile, I don't think its good for society to treat every criminal as irreparable, even if his screw up is. We can't bring back the victims and they deserve monetary compensation, not that it will help heal their loss but at least they can grieve without stress if they had the money and if the offender gets to benefit from the family's wealth, then the victim's family deserves more of that benefit for sure.
No he's not a pedophile, he's just a lying, thieving murderer with no scruples and I see no reason for him not being in jail like all the other lying, thieving, murderers with no remorse
He didn't just screw up, the kid and the family seem to screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over
and haven't learn't shit because the money always worked for them. Time the money stops working and they start pay the same price as everyone else
Going to a super star rehab where all the super wealthy and movie stars go isn't what most of us consider punishment or rehabilitation, sure as hell hasn't helped Lohan or any Celeb, its where they go to get out of jail and kept from being bothered by reporters, its a resort atmosphere

I love how you have compassion and can see the good in people. :joyful:. I can see your point. Hopefully he takes this chance and makes himself better than his parents.

No he's not a pedophile, he's just a lying, thieving murderer with no scruples and I see no reason for him not being in jail like all the other lying, thieving, murderers with no remorse
He didn't just screw up, the kid and the family seem to screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over screw up over and over and over and over
and haven't learn't shit because the money always worked for them. Time the money stops working and they start pay the same price as everyone else
Going to a super star rehab where all the super wealthy and movie stars go isn't what most of us consider punishment or rehabilitation, sure as hell hasn't helped Lohan or any Celeb, its where they go to get out of jail and kept from being bothered by reporters, its a resort atmosphere

I hadn't read he was going to that kind of rehab, my understanding is that he was going in to some type of program. First of all, you can't hold this teen responsible for his parent's crimes, they have nothing to do with each other other than help us understand why he is the way he is. I truly understand everyone's highly charged emotion here and as I said, I have just as much compassion for the victims as you or anyone else, this teen, is not lohan or anyone one else, now IDK if you have kids or not, but any parent knows, you cannot control every action of your child and kids mess up, sometimes big time. I understand your feelings regarding the money, but at this point, what else is there? We cannot bring these victims back, unfortunately, and at this point all I can say is the victim's family deserves to be able to grieve without worrying about the mortgage payment, money would help that. Disagree all you want but I would still rather see this teen come out with an understanding and TRUE remorse, than just Defense table remorse.

I hadn't read he was going to that kind of rehab, my understanding is that he was going in to some type of program. First of all, you can't hold this teen responsible for his parent's crimes, they have nothing to do with each other other than help us understand why he is the way he is./quote]
How about we hold him responsible for his crimes and let his parents shove their money up their ass
He steals, brags about it, kills has no remorse, so we send him to a $400,000.00 a year resort WTF!
You related or what?

Horseback riding, massages and cooking lessons: Inside the luxury $450k per year rehab center that 'affluenza' teen will attend as punishment for killing four in DUI
Newport specializes in equine assisted psychotherapy where patients get to ride horses and also offers mixed martial arts lessons, opportunities for massages and cooking lessons.

'There's basketball, a swimming pool and six acres of land. It's like a comfortable home,' Newport Academy CEO Jamison Monroe Jr. told Mail Online.

Newport Academy’s website promises ‘an environment of compassion and caring’ and photos show a lush, green outdoor space with gorgeous high-end living spaces.

‘Newport Academy has an on-site gym with new, state-of-the-art equipment. The American Medical Association states that a regular exercise program is a key element of effective teen drug treatment,’ the website states.

The apparently idyllic conditions at Newport are a world away from those at juvenile prison in Texas, where extreme overcrowding means several inmates are expected to share a cell and amenities are severally restricted due to budget cuts. As a result an atmosphere of drugs and violence pervades.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...center-affluenza-teen-Ethan-Couch-attend.html

Last edited:

I think the money would be better spent on the victim's, it does no good up someone's arse. Again, he isn't at home with an ankle bracelet, he will be in an a program. I truly do understand your anger, I have sit on victim's panels, voluntarily and was so overcome with emotion, I cried myself to sleep. However, when the rage subsides, we need to look beyond that.

How about we hold him responsible for his crimes and let his parents shove their money up their ass
He steals, brags about it, kills has no remorse, so we send him to a $400,000.00 a year resort WTF!
You related or what?
No I am not related nor will I entertain any personal attacks for simply stating my opinion. You are reacting out of rage, which I understand, you are willing to "shove this money" supposedly in defense of the victims, completely disregarding the fact of how helpful this money would be to the victims families. Are you really speaking out in defense of the victims or are you just angry? Not helping the victims financially makes no sense to me, when that is all there is. This teen has been given a gift, it is up to him to use it or lose it, at which point he will then be put in prison. Again, I personally would rather live in a world of people that have been repaired than tossed in a cage with animals worse than them, to wreak havoc when they come out, having learned nothing but violence and crime.

I think the money would be better spent on the victim's, it does no good up someone's arse. Again, he isn't at home with an ankle bracelet, he will be in an a program. I truly do understand your anger, I have sit on victim's panels, voluntarily and was so overcome with emotion, I cried myself to sleep. However, when the rage subsides, we need to look beyond that.
I'm not angry, he didn't effect my life, I don't cry myself to sleep, I do feel justice was thrown out the window and the judge is an idiot
are you a troll or a relative?

Back