• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
2rhinosfacing.jpeg

[....]
"courageous field staff, who work in dangerous conditions", encountered three armed suspected rhino poachers on the night of 6 March.

Dube-Ncube added that 28 rhinos had already been killed at the park this year.

"Two of the suspects were fatally wounded and died at the scene, while one suspect managed to escape. One heavy calibre hunting rifle, as well as knives, commonly used to remove rhino horns, were recovered at the scene by the South African Police Service."

Dube-Ncube said one of the men who was killed was a well-known high-level rhino poacher. He had been charged with the illegal possession of rhino horns in 2017.

She said he was suspected of coordinating groups of Mpumalanga poachers to target Hluhluwe-iMfolozi Park.

Dube-Ncube lauded the use of drone technology to combat poachers. She said it was part of a long-term strategy aimed at protecting the rhino population.

"We have decided to invest in Smart Park connectivity and the integration of systems to ensure early detection and rapid response. One of the key instruments being used is the installation of infrared trap cameras linked directly to the Parks Operational Centre."

She said the cameras used artificial intelligence (AI) to identify people and sent an immediate alert to an operations centre which activated reaction units.

"On the night of 6 March an infrared camera detected three armed poaching suspects, and automatically alerted the operations centre, providing number of persons, grid reference and direction of the incursion."

They were then located in the area and "challenged", Dube-Ncube said.

"The reaction unit members who came under immediate threat defended themselves, which resulted in the two suspects being mortally wounded."
[....]

Last edited by a moderator:
/me looks in pocket

/me looks under sofa cushions

/me looks in cat bed

/me looks in vehicle ashtray/coin tray

/me looks in cookie jar

/me looks in sugar bowl

I thought I had at least one here somewhere, but I don't have a single fuck to give about the poachers' fate.

--Al

Poaching the poachers! In tribute to this event, the wildlife keepers should think about naming their next born rhino Karma.

I've also heard that some conservationists are cutting off rhino horns. Why? Because it makes the rhinos less appealing to poachers. The conservationists tranquilize the rhinos, saw off the horns while the rhinos are sedated, and leave just enough horn base so that it can grow back.

Back