• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Snoods

Trusted Member
mt3xxt.jpg

akxv1v.jpg

af7mdj.jpg

dwfdih.jpg

w6v9g0.jpg

The Daily Mail always delivers with their pictures! OMG at her bloody footprints. :wtf: It looks like she calmly walked away.

I need someone smerter than me to figure out if she has a legit claim, or if this was a disaster of her own making.

On the one hand, it seems strange that her superiors would straight up refuse to provide her with safety training if she asked. But on the other hand, if the tanks weren't designed for flammable gasses, I don't blame her for being up in arms about it.

In the explosion, Thea Ekins-Coward lost her right arm above her elbow. She suffered facial burns, abrasions to her cornea and nerve damage to her ears that led to high frequency hearing loss.

She was working on research to produce liquid fuel from synthetic gases such as hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide.

[...]

The complaint alleges the university and researchers Jian Yu and Richard Rocheleau failed to provide her with adequate safety training and adhere to safety codes.

[...]

The lawsuit filed by Ekins Coward and her wife says that allegedly the university and Yu told Ekins-Coward to use dangerous tanks unsuitable for use.

[...]

Ekins-Coward asked for safety training on October 7, 2015 but Yu refused, the complaint said.

The university hired the University of California Center for Laboratory Safety to investigate the cause of the blast. The investigation found static electricity released into a tank most likely caused the explosion.

More at link:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rm-blast-sues-University-Hawaii.html#comments

She was working on research to produce liquid fuel from synthetic gases such as hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon monoxide.

I would think from a logical point of view, she would know the risks.

The lawsuit filed by Ekins Coward and her wife says that allegedly the university and Yu told Ekins-Coward to use dangerous tanks unsuitable for use.

And yet she chose to do so. People do have a mind of their own. If she knew they were unsuitable, then she must've gone through some training.... Therefore would've known not to use them.

I'm not belittling her. But common sense is a wonderful thing. If you know something is dangerous and you do it anyway, then some of that fault lies on you. It's always someone else's fault....

My friends lost her thumb .... She didn't even know it was gone. She thought she was just hurt/cut and bleeding. Health and safety came to the hospital too talk to her ... Bombarded her with question one of which was " did you purposely amputate your thumb to qualify for a disability? " That right there was the moment she realized her thumb was gone at all. She jokes that she would be a terrible hitch hiker.

I would think from a logical point of view, she would know the risks.

she knew , like all scientist, risk is an assessment , and also like all scientists , she knew that nothing is dangerous if properly handled

And yet she chose to do so. People do have a mind of their own.

she was a postdoctoral fellow at 29 years of age , that literally means she has been in school most of her life and luckily obtained a competitive position learning under some of the best researchers the UC system has to offer , even if she questioned their practices everyone involved would have followed the senior researchers

this is a classic case of senior level individuals intentionally not following protocol because they are so used to working with the material at hand ... it happens everyday in my trade .. until someone gets an arm blown off .. then the system gets reevaluated..

post script- that chicks still fine even with out an arm.... just saying

Last edited:

What the fuck!!!?!??

It's believable that even an experienced scientist might not recognize that improper tanks were in use. The folks heading up this research should have ensured proper safety rules were being followed from the getgo, they clearly did not.

Americas big business of higher education is pretty much unfuckingtouchable though, so i don't anticipate her getting a penny out of the university. They are the be all, end all in our society from the lowly sitcom watching fucktard who buys into everything they hear about the importance of a college education to the highest levels of gov't who will(only on rare occasions) cry about the ever exploding price of tuition rates to get votes while at the same time never doing a single damn thing to seriously address the issue. Nothing will change, and they will destroy this woman in court.

The picture doens't look above the elbow to me though. APpears she still has the elbow.

Her lab career is likely finished forever now i would think, you need hands to do lab research.
[doublepost=1485028635,1485028594][/doublepost]The biggest tragedy in all this is that no one took pictures of her gruesome wounds immediately after. lame.
[doublepost=1485028740][/doublepost]Article says the broad specifically asked if there were any safety hazards she should be aware of and her concerns were brushed off. She didn't merely asi for safety traniing in the general sense, she inquired about specifics relating to the work she was doing there. Bad deal, hope she gets paid.

Where did you see a picture of her injury? In the picture from the DM article she has both arms.

Oh wow so it does. Her hand blended in with the jars/shelf and it appeared to me at first as if that was a pic of her holding up her stub.

Yeah she's def fucked now when it comes to a lab research career. Hope she dug the academic side of the research/science field just as much.

According to the link the discharge came from a digital gauge . Who in his right mind uses a digital gauge meter with reactive gases? I'm afraid that the chief researchers didn't have the proper equipment nor protocols to handle reactive gases at high pressure...

Back