• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Morbid

Rooster Illusion
Staff member
To make things easier for people to post stories in the forums, and possibly even get some of you to write something up for the front page, we are changing the formatting requirements for Reality Bite related articles. The good thing is that it is very, very simple.

The Simple Method

Title - Just sum up the article in as few words as possible. Include a name, to help with searching (another topic entirely), but don't worry about ages or fitting in every single detail.

Body - A quick summary of article in your own words. This could be a single sentence or an entire paragraph - up to you. You want to include a quote from the article, fine - but not needed - just make sure if you do that it is marked as such. Always include a link to source article in your article.

HERE'S AN EXAMPLE

That's it. Pretty easy, eh?

Now, for those of you who would like to try a hand at front page articles, here's how:

The Front Page Method

Title - Just sum up the article in as few words as possible - preferably under 12 words. Get it out, but trim the fat.

Body - A quick summary of article in the first sentence, followed by a timeline of events, from beginning to end, using more that one source article. No block quotes from source article ever.

Do not copy and paste anything from source article unless you are quoting something someone said in the source article.

This article should be around 230 words at minimum, give or take. And, of course, and links to the source articles.

Also, if someone has already posted an article in a short format not meant for front page, feel free to re-write in the comments of that post in an attempt to do so.

That's it. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
I like. My only worry would be using a story someone else had already linked in short form and trying to write it myself for the front page. I'd feel as though I might be treading on someone's toes, especially since I don't know who might be thinking of writing for the front page, and if they'd planned to expand on it later.

When I find a story I like the look of, someone has usually beaten me to it when it comes to posting it here!

I like. My only worry would be using a story someone else had already linked in short form and trying to write it myself for the front page. I'd feel as though I might be treading on someone's toes, especially since I don't know who might be thinking of writing for the front page, and if they'd planned to expand on it later.

When I find a story I like the look of, someone has usually beaten me to it when it comes to posting it here!

Doesn't matter. If that happens, the story you posted for FP would be merged with short post. I don't think anyone is gonna feel their toes are being stepped on if you attempted to write up a FP article after someone simply posted the story for the forums.

And there may be a chance that we pick someone's attempt over another's. Not much you can do about that.

Maybe I'll come to like it once it's around for a bit longer but I have to say.... I like getting my news from DD because I don't have to click on as many links and the stories are compressed and quoted for meright there. This does defeat the purpose quite a bit for me since I have to go to the New Posts tab, click on a story, THEN click on a link and open up a new window which is trickier at work.

Also, I know it would stop me from posting if I actually have to think up a summary and some of our posters can quote well but like me aren't exactly writers.

Just my initial thoughts without actually experiencing it yet.

Maybe I'll come to like it once it's around for a bit longer but I have to say.... I like getting my news from DD because I don't have to click on as many links and the stories are compressed and quoted for meright there. This does defeat the purpose quite a bit for me since I have to go to the New Posts tab, click on a story, THEN click on a link and open up a new window which is trickier at work.
Also, I know it would stop me from posting if I actually have to think up a summary and some of our posters can quote well but like me aren't exactly writers.
Just my initial thoughts without actually experiencing it yet.

Thanks @spifftastic. So here's the deal, I'm trying to kill several birds with one stone.

I get what you are saying regarding not to have to go to the other site for more info, but by doing it this way, we achieve the following:

Anyone can post a news story with as little hassle as possible
Never worry about getting another copyright threat

Also, no one is required to write up a summary (long or short), I was just meaning that having to use a blockquote from the article is no longer required if that is what you are planning to do.

So, just to make sure I'm understanding this right, you can still post in the old format if you wish? As long as you're very careful about copyright infringement? Or am I misunderstanding?

k im confused a little
I can still post my way Ive done for years
but if someone else posts a sentence and a link
then my more researched one will be deleted?

Last edited:
k think I get it
think hes saying that you can still post normal but anyone can use your thread and write it up on front page
I dont write FP so I dont care who used mine

and if more then one person writes up the same story from a thread
then the best one will be used on the FP???

Last edited:
@Morbid 's formatting is even easier than what you've been doing all these years, @Whisper. You don't have to worry about copying over a photograph or linking pieces of the article. It also gives you a level of independence outside of the article - you're using your own words instead of giving a wall of text. It's both informative yet interpretative.

I guess an added perk would be avoiding copyright infringement on the owner's end (@Morbid).

Not that what you do is bad, obviously. You're still very prudent regarding article material and provide a wealth of news. Onus would be on the person adapting your article to the front page, I suppose.

@Morbid or @Subrosa - Quick housekeeping question re: most recent updates in forum content guidelines in ITMT, CAA, Gen. News and Weird News?

I ran across the this again yesterday and would love some advice/feedback on it, p & ty.

As one of the members who's always happy to post stories in the forums for those who're on cell, at work, having comp probs, etc. when I'm on my laptop, sometimes I'm sent funny/amusing stories I don't know where to place since they do involve a charge/crime of some sort (usually petty), and that's part of what makes the story funny, ironic or ridiculous.

I had a funny one awhile back I had to put in ITMT b/c the person was charged with a crime, so I just label it in the OP as a funny one. Seemed weird putting it in there since it wasn't heinous, horrible or depraved like the rest of the content.

I've lucked out being able to kind of "manipulate" a couple (doing the so-so hand), but I'd like a definitive ruling on where stuff like this should go. People do seem to enjoy them and I have people ask me where this stuff should go and I honestly don't know. Should I keep posting them in ITMT or CAA b/c they reference a crime, or...? Here's my latest example. TIA! :)

http://www.dreamindemon.com/communi...e-hen-hizzy-at-least-it-wasnt-you-know.80474/

Last edited:
Back