• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Dakota

FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
NOTE: This post was originally posted by Lizard in 2009. In an attempt to update it, I accidentally deleted it somehow... or it got eaten by system trolls or something. Luckily, my cache had a copy.

For general forum rules see Morbid's Forum Rules.

Let me get some of the basics for the "Reality Bites" area of the forum. These apply to new threads and, where applicable, to updates/posts within threads.

Want to start a new thread? Make sure it hasn't been posted already. Use the "Search" box at the top of any page. You can search threads for the last name of the perpetrator or victim. If the names are common, try an unusual town name (e.g., "Grosse Pointe").

Use NEWS sources only when starting a thread. If the story is only being reported in Bobbie Sue Robichaux's personal blog or blog sites that compete with DD, forget it. NO BLOGS or other forums or other non-news sites. Limit use of blogs and other web forums when posting comments. Your own thoughts/theories are much more appreciated. Feel free to post a twitter account/blog/forum to follow if they are providing relevant information to the story, but do not post twitter or blog or other forum site posts on an ongoing basis.

QUALITY over Quantity, people. Don't throw a bunch of shit on the wall to see what sticks, as that is noticed as well. It's not a race to see who can post the most. Quality and variety is much more appreciated than quantity.

Make sure you are posting in the correct area of the forum. Every area has a description that lets you know what the appropriate content is. Keep titles short, try to mention a name.
  • Titles: Within the title, do not treat accused or charged as guilty unless they are. Use Police: Hugh Chavez Raped Baby or Police Charge Hugh Chavez With Raping Baby. NOT Hugh Chavez Raped A Baby.
  • Titles: Keep 'em brief as you can. (There is a character limit, ya know.)
  • Give some indication of the crime and if possible include the perpetrator's name (middle name/initial NOT necessary)
  • Go browse the many, many threads we have. There are tons of good examples there. And don't be butthurt if a mod comes behind you and changes your title.
Do NOT include entire news stories. That's copyrighted shit, y'all. (as in ILLEGAL to post the full thing) Hit the highlights, and clean up the garbage. (We don't want to read "Advertisement", redundant info, or other links in the middle of the story.) Anything taken directly from the original linked source needs to be identified as a quote. It's easy! Place QUOTE tags around the content.
W6gNhl0.gif

Alternative? Rewrite it all in your own words. Particularly useful when you've checked out multiple news sources.

INCLUDE THE LINK TO THE NEWS SOURCE AT THE END OF YOUR POST! Otherwise, I will hunt you down and kick your knee caps up into your pelvic region.

Bonus points for photos of the perp. Maybe even more for photos of the victim. Social Networking sites can be added if relevant/interesting/hilarious.

Do not directly link images to other sites. If you have a mugshot, other pic, or graphic to use, upload it to an image hosting site such as TinyPic or Photobucket or Imgur. Any site that wants you to link an image will give you the URL/code to do it - otherwise it is considered bandwidth theft. Don't be a thief! More on images can be found HERE

When posting an update, check for info that has already been posted by someone else. Only include the NEW info PLEASE (or a few simple lines of re-hash in long threads and the new stuff). A bit of the important info and the link is far better than just a link. Don't be lazy and just post it anyway. It annoys people. Just because it's from a different source does NOT mean it's new information.

Got a question? Just ask! Admins/mods kill fewer people each year than you'd think. And keep those stories coming!​

Adjust these guidelines for posting replies/comments and for starting threads in any area of the forum. In addition, the beginning of each sub-forum may have one or two "sticky" notes that will give you additional information. Especially important if you wish to play in Three Things.

ALSO: Just because a story links to a MySpace, Facebook, or other site that allows contact, it IS NOT an invitation to do that.
We do not condone anyone on this site contacting family members or individuals connected to any of the stories posted here. There are other sites who love to get into people's personal business and border on harassment, but we are not them. We simply post stories and discuss them. If anyone connected to a story contacts us, then fine. But if you choose to contact people on your own, like the way username did, do not post it here as you will find it will be quickly deleted. Thanks.

ALSO: Just because a story links to a MySpace, Facebook, or other site that allows contact, it IS NOT an invitation to do that.
Originally Posted by Morbid
We do not condone anyone on this site contacting family members or individuals connected to any of the stories posted here. There are other sites who love to get into people's personal business and border on harassment, but we are not them. We simply post stories and discuss them. If anyone connected to a story contacts us, then fine. But if you choose to contact people on your own, like the way navsec did, do not post it here as you will find it will be quickly deleted. Thanks.

Does this apply to the Disqus comments on the FP, as well? I ask, because someone (a brand new signup to Disqus with no other comments) posted that they'd told off the accused and/or family members (I forget which) on FB, and pasted their messages to them into their comments. I clicked the 'Flag as inappropriate' button for both comments, and noted they still hadn't been removed a week later, so I forgot about it. I accidentally deleted the bookmark so I have no idea what story they were from or if they're still up.

(And sorry, I don't think I've ever bothered with Tags on any of my threads... I'll be better! Promise!)

Does this apply to the Disqus comments on the FP, as well?
If the social network link was included in the story, I would assume so. As for what goes on when you flag a FP Disqus comment, I'm clueless (I'm just a basement dweller). Morbid would handle the FP notifications.

If the name is in the story please use in title makes it sooooo much easier when searching
The Search feature is not limited to the title. It also searches the comments and quoted portion of posts. The only time it searches the title only is when you specify.

If you search on a common name (like Greg Johnson), many results may show up. You can limit the results by putting quotes around it ("Greg Johnson") which forces the search to look for that EXACT phrase, or using victim or location information.

And sometimes, even without spelling errors, the Search feature just plain old does not work. No clue why.

Does this apply to the Disqus comments on the FP, as well? I ask, because someone (a brand new signup to Disqus with no other comments) posted that they'd told off the accused and/or family members (I forget which) on FB, and pasted their messages to them into their comments. I clicked the 'Flag as inappropriate' button for both comments, and noted they still hadn't been removed a week later, so I forgot about it. I accidentally deleted the bookmark so I have no idea what story they were from or if they're still up.

(And sorry, I don't think I've ever bothered with Tags on any of my threads... I'll be better! Promise!)

Yes, it applies there as well. We are just a bit slack when moderating FP comments.

I am new so don't want to post something already covered. However I have recently become interested in the story of Tom Odle. I can't find anything in the forums about him, but I don't know if he's in there somewhere, because his was a shocking family murder case. He brought out a book in 2012 with his shrink, which I'm very much looking forward to reading.

Alright to post? And in the crimes against children forum?

I am new so don't want to post something already covered. However I have recently become interested in the story of Tom Odle. I can't find anything in the forums about him, but I don't know if he's in there somewhere, because his was a shocking family murder case. He brought out a book in 2012 with his shrink, which I'm very much looking forward to reading.

Alright to post? And in the crimes against children forum?
I searched the forums and did a google/dd search and didn't find anything. I think it would be an interesting story to write-up. Maybe in the "past crimes" forum.

Yes, it applies there as well. We are just a bit slack when moderating FP comments.
NOTE: This post was originally posted by Lizard in 2009. In an attempt to update it, I accidentally deleted it somehow... or it got eaten by system trolls or something. Luckily, my cache had a copy.

For general forum rules see Morbid's Forum Rules.

Let me get some of the basics for the "Reality Bites" area of the forum. These apply to new threads and, where applicable, to updates/posts within threads.

Want to start a new thread? Make sure it hasn't been posted already. Use the "Search" box at the top of any page. You can search threads for the last name of the perpetrator or victim. If the names are common, try an unusual town name (e.g., "Grosse Pointe").

Use NEWS sources only when starting a thread. If the story is only being reported in Bobbie Sue Robichaux's personal blog or blog sites that compete with DD, forget it. NO BLOGS or other forums or other non-news sites. Limit use of blogs and other web forums when posting comments. Your own thoughts/theories are much more appreciated. Feel free to post a twitter account/blog/forum to follow if they are providing relevant information to the story, but do not post twitter or blog or other forum site posts on an ongoing basis.

QUALITY over Quantity, people. Don't throw a bunch of shit on the wall to see what sticks, as that is noticed as well. It's not a race to see who can post the most. Quality and variety is much more appreciated than quantity.

Make sure you are posting in the correct area of the forum. Every area has a description that lets you know what the appropriate content is. Keep titles short, try to mention a name.
  • Titles: Within the title, do not treat accused or charged as guilty unless they are. Use Police: Hugh Chavez Raped Baby or Police Charge Hugh Chavez With Raping Baby. NOT Hugh Chavez Raped A Baby.
  • Titles: Keep 'em brief as you can. (There is a character limit, ya know.)
  • Give some indication of the crime and if possible include the perpetrator's name (middle name/initial NOT necessary)
  • Go browse the many, many threads we have. There are tons of good examples there. And don't be butthurt if a mod comes behind you and changes your title.
Do NOT include entire news stories. That's copyrighted shit, y'all. (as in ILLEGAL to post the full thing) Hit the highlights, and clean up the garbage. (We don't want to read "Advertisement", redundant info, or other links in the middle of the story.) Anything taken directly from the original linked source needs to be identified as a quote. It's easy! Place QUOTE tags around the content.
W6gNhl0.gif

Alternative? Rewrite it all in your own words. Particularly useful when you've checked out multiple news sources.

INCLUDE THE LINK TO THE NEWS SOURCE AT THE END OF YOUR POST! Otherwise, I will hunt you down and kick your knee caps up into your pelvic region.

Bonus points for photos of the perp. Maybe even more for photos of the victim. Social Networking sites can be added if relevant/interesting/hilarious.

Do not directly link images to other sites. If you have a mugshot, other pic, or graphic to use, upload it to an image hosting site such as TinyPic or Photobucket or Imgur. Any site that wants you to link an image will give you the URL/code to do it - otherwise it is considered bandwidth theft. Don't be a thief! More on images can be found HERE

When posting an update, check for info that has already been posted by someone else. Only include the NEW info PLEASE (or a few simple lines of re-hash in long threads and the new stuff). A bit of the important info and the link is far better than just a link. Don't be lazy and just post it anyway. It annoys people. Just because it's from a different source does NOT mean it's new information.

Got a question? Just ask! Admins/mods kill fewer people each year than you'd think. And keep those stories coming!​

Adjust these guidelines for posting replies/comments and for starting threads in any area of the forum. In addition, the beginning of each sub-forum may have one or two "sticky" notes that will give you additional information. Especially important if you wish to play in Three Things.

Sorry I all ready messed up my first post I promise I wont do it again I am truly sorry for violating the posting rules.

NOTE: This post was originally posted by Lizard in 2009. In an attempt to update it, I accidentally deleted it somehow... or it got eaten by system trolls or something. Luckily, my cache had a copy
WoW is this GOOD TO KNOW!!! I didn't know NONE of this!!! No wonder everyone who's been here since (2008-now) has been freakin' the fuck out on my posts! - -and I've been "clueless" as to WTF "their" problem is! - -so it's because of how and what "I'm" posting!

Back