• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

cubby

Live Long and Prosper
Bold Member!
http://nypost.com/2016/06/27/judge-in-stanford-sex-assault-case-gives-immigrant-harsher-sentence/

Santa Clara County Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky will hand Raul Ramirez, 32, originally from El Salvador, a three-year prison sentence for sexually assaulting his female roommate, according to documents obtained by the Guardian.

Ramirez admitted in March to penetrating his roommate with his fingers for five to 10 minutes in November 2014 and that he only stopped when she broke down crying. He received the minimum sentence for his particular crime.

The blond, blue-eyed Turner, 20, was sentenced in June to mere months behind bars, despite being convicted of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman by a dumpster near a fraternity.

Turner stopped only when two bikers saw him aggressively “thrusting” against the limp victim.

Unlike Ramirez, Turner, a star athlete, did not fess up to the assault and instead blamed drinking and party culture while maintaining the sex act was consensual.

“My poor decision making and excessive drinking hurt someone that night and I wish I could just take it all back,” he said when sentenced.

Turner may be a free man as soon as Sept. 2, after Persky determined a longer stint behind bars would have a “severe impact” on him. Prosecutors had asked that the student be dealt a six-year sentence.

Persky cited Turner’s lack of a prior criminal record as a reason for his light sentencing. But court records show that Ramirez also had no prior criminal history.

said Stanford professor Michele Landis Dauber, who is spearheading a recall campaign against Persky.

Following the Turner conviction, Persky was removed from a sexual assault case after the district attorney’s office said it lacked confidence in his judgment.

Over a million people have signed a petition demanding that Persky be removed from his role.

Ramirez’s lawyer told the Guardian that the stark difference in sentencing may come from the fact that Ramirez’s victim was conscious during the crime, something treated by California law as a greater offense.

The Turner case inspired a new bill which would also require a three-year minimum sentence for those convicted of raping an unconscious person.

I sure as hell think an assault on a unconscious person is worse than an assault on a conscious person, the unconscious doesn't have any choices whatsoever, whereas the conscious one can at least yell and scream and call for help. But tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't disagree with the sentence this guy got, just a comparison of Persky's sentencing.

http://nypost.com/2016/06/27/judge-in-stanford-sex-assault-case-gives-immigrant-harsher-sentence/

I sure as hell think an assault on a unconscious person is worse than an assault on a conscious person, the unconscious doesn't have any choices whatsoever, whereas the conscious one can at least yell and scream and call for help. But tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't disagree with the sentence this guy got, just a comparison of Persky's sentencing.
I think its equal.
Because, a gun held to your head will keep you silent.

I was talking more about using no other weapons than their physical strength, attacking and assaulting an unconscious person seems so much more messed up.

Weapons make that even more worse.

You beat me to it, Cub. I was going to post this one. :)

I find this interesting. Forget about the shitty, biased Judge for a moment. Sexual assault, no matter to what degree and extent is absolutely not on.

But I disagree with the notion that these 2 crimes are similar. (As per the Daily Mail article I was reading about this).

Ramirez sexually assaulted his victim by touching her intimately. When she started crying, he stopped. He also confessed immediately to the police who attended when the victim called 911 and wanted to apologize to his victim right there and then. He also pled guilty and apologized in court.

Turner raped his victim. Raped her badly enough to shove pine needles up inside of her. He took pictures of her and sent them to friends. When he was caught, he tried to run away. Since then, he has shown zero remorse, has refused to apologize, refused to accept accountability and pled not guilty - despite clearly, being guilty as batcrap.

Both perpetrators deserve punishment for their crimes. And Turner's actions, not only on the night, but since then, show he deserves far more serious consequences than what he was given by the shithead Judge.

But looking at the context of both crimes, how far both Turner and Ramirez went with their victims and their respective attitudes to their victims AND the legal process there after, I do feel that if anyone deserves a more lenient sentence out of the two, its Ramirez.

Not that I think Ramirez automatically deserves a lighter sentence for his crime. But given its the same judge and there is clearly some room to move in the sentencing process, going by the different lengths of sentences these two got. Its simply unfair, given the context and circumstances.

He sounds genuinely capable of rehabilitation. Which is what we ultimately want to have occur with any criminals. He sounds as though he has genuine remorse and regret. He sounds as though he probably won't ever do something like that again. Turner? He still can't give a flying fuck about his victim and his behaviours and accountability. He's worried solely about his future and his ability to pig out on rib eye steak.

If the means BEHIND the difference in sentencing comes down to an ultra poor immigrant with a crime that while damn terrible, is far less than Turner's, and a middle class white kid who attends the same Uni as the Judge did who committed outright rape and has consistently tried to avoid punishment and responsibility for it ; then yeah, its racist. Because Turner's crime and Turner's actions are far more reprehensible than Ramirez's. Yet he gets away with a tiny soft prison sentence in comparison.

Fuck that Judge. For real.
[doublepost=1467084931,1467084227][/doublepost]@strity1994

You're right. A good lawyer makes all the difference. It really, truly does.

And the reality of that is sick. Justice is not equal, nor is it blind or fair to all.

Just because someone can only afford a cheap lawyer - or go with a public defender doesn't mean they should get a different experience and end result from the criminal justice system.

It speaks volumes (in all of our Western nations) that our legal process has been corrupted. And needs groundbreaking reform to ensure equality and fairness for all, no matter what the size of your purse is.

Back