• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
The airport authorities and security officers were given his information, and assured his relatives that vehicles and plates are regularly inspected.

Clearly that wasn't the case here. :(
That's a long time to be waiting and wondering, and worrying. Obviously the outcome wouldn't have been any different if he'd been discovered sooner, but it would have saved the family some additional anguish.

Thanks @Keepalowprofile for this one!!

For eight months, while Randy Potter remained missing this year,his family and friends searched for him high and low. They even hired a private investigator to find him.

This weekend, family members said they were shocked and hurt to learn the Lenexa man had apparently been dead the entire time, his body sitting in his truck in a parking lot at Kansas City International Airport from January to September.

Kansas City police found Potter’s body Tuesday when they were alerted to a foul odor coming from the truck. The body was so decomposed that investigators were not able to immediately determine the gender or race, but later identified it as Potter’s and said it appeared he died by suicide.

Potter’s relatives, along with their attorney and the private investigator, think the 53-year-old T-Mobile manager died soon after leaving home the morning of Jan. 17, the last time he was seen alive.

On Friday the family held a news conference seeking answers about why Potter wasn’t found sooner.

Within a week of Potter being reported missing, his wife and niece said, they went to the airport looking for him. They said airport authorities told them that if Potter’s vehicle was in one of their parking lots, security officers would find it.

But the rest of the winter, and then the spring and summer, passed before someone finally checked the truck.

“How is it possible, in America?” said Potter’s wife, Carolina. “A truck sitting there for eight months? He could have been found a lot sooner if everybody had done their job.”

Carolina Potter said the truck was in the parking lot in front of KCI’s Terminal B, which offers both short and long-term parking. Potter’s truck was parked on the surface level.

The Potter family has hired Kansas City lawyer John Picerno to help them find out what went wrong, starting from when the family made a missing person report to the Lenexa Police Department to how the body remained unnoticed by airport authorities for so long.

“It’s amazing that he wasn’t found in June or July,” Picerno said. “Our goal is to find out what happened and why. What was done, what wasn’t done. And to try to make sure that this doesn’t happen again to somebody.”

Kansas City spokesman Chris Hernandez issued a written statement to local news outletsabout Potter’s death:

“The City of Kansas City and its Aviation Department express our deepest sympathies to the family and friends of Randy Potter. We wish them peace during this difficult time. We are working with all parties to determine the facts involved, including SP Plus, which manages the 25,000 parking spaces at Kansas City International Airport.”

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/local/article173844011.html

i n c o m p e t e n c e how hard would it have been for them to do a real parking lot check when contacted by the family?

Those parking spaces aren't free ... I wonder who is paying the bill for that?

What a shitty place to kill yourself ... I suppose there isn't any great places for it, but still ... the air port would be like my last choice.

I don't give a rats hind end what assurances they gave,
I would have walked each lot and eyeballed for myself.
This should have been wrapped up in the first few days.
Ridiculous.

Wonder if they will charge the estate for overage fees.

Some stuff would have been different if they had found him sooner. He wouldn't be a rotting puddle and some bones. They would have been able to keep the car as some family likes to to remember him by. They could have had one last look at him at the funeral. Shit, they wouldn't have had 8 months of stress and worry!

He didn't want to be caught before he committed the act, but I don't think he ever intended this outcome. Surface level in front of the airport, it's like no one even tried. On top of that, the vehicle is a particular make, model and color, it's not like you have to look at every damn car.

Some stuff would have been different if they had found him sooner. He wouldn't be a rotting puddle and some bones. They would have been able to keep the car as some family likes to to remember him by. They could have had one last look at him at the funeral. Shit, they wouldn't have had 8 months of stress and worry!
Right?!
Even if they didn't want to keep the car, they could have sold it and had the money. For sure it's not salvageable now.

Holy shit! I just went through KCI! I flew in September 6 on delta and flew out on September 11. I picked up/dropped off my rental car right next to that lot.

That airport is the smallest most desolate airport ever. There are only 2 luggage spinner thingies. No lines for security, it's just a guy standing by a door in folding wall. My headband fell off and tsa walked around looking for me to give it back.

A missed car in the lot? Not surprising. But everyone is super friendly.

Back