• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
I came across this while searching info on the other Randy Atkins story
http://www.dreamindemon.com/forums/showthread.php?p=434563#post434563
And decided to look it up after reading 1 sentence of why hes on Death Row

STATE v. ATKINS

STATE of North Carolina v. Randy Lynn ATKINS.

No. 9A94.

-- October 09, 1998​
[....]
Defendant was indicted on 12 April 1993 for first-degree sexual offense and for the first-degree murder of his eight-month-old son, Lyle James Atkins.   On 18 November 1993, defendant entered into a plea agreement in which he agreed to plead guilty to the first-degree murder charge and the State agreed to dismiss the pending sexual offense charge and not to submit any evidence pertaining to this or any other sexual assaults purportedly committed by defendant.   Following a capital sentencing proceeding pursuant to N.C.G.S. § 15A-2000, the jury recommended that defendant be sentenced to death for the murder of his infant son.   Judge Saunders sentenced defendant accordingly.
[...]
Lyle's mother, Ms. Colleen Shank, testified that on the morning of 16 March 1993, she asked defendant to watch Lyle while she washed some clothes.   Ms. Shank stated that she heard a “bang.â€￾   Following the “bang,â€￾ Ms. Shank heard Lyle begin to cry, and she rushed to the living room.   Ms. Shank testified that she then observed defendant hitting Lyle's head against the trailer wall a “few times.â€￾   She testified further that she saw defendant “swing him [Lyle] very strongâ€￾ and that “Lyle hit the wall very hard.â€￾   Ms. Shank tried to comfort Lyle and attempted to lay the child down to rest.   However, Lyle soon began to cry, and Ms. Shank noted that he was turning blue.   The mother administered CPR and requested that defendant go to a neighbor's home to call 911 for emergency assistance.

Defendant then went to the home of a neighbor and called 911.   The 911 operator testified that defendant responded to her questions concerning medical history related to Lyle's emergency by replying “it [Lyle] may have been sick two or three days, but no other.â€￾   Lyle's mother testified that while waiting for emergency personnel to arrive, defendant told her, “Don't say anything, because I will hurt you too.â€￾

Following the arrival of emergency medical personnel, Lyle was transported by helicopter to Mission Memorial Hospital in Asheville.   Upon admission to the hospital, Lyle was noted to be limp, not moving, and exhibiting a slow heart rate.   The admitting physician noted numerous injuries to the small child, including bruising on both sides of his head, an older bruise on his left elbow, bruising on his right wrist and right hand, a deformation of his pelvis, and an improperly healed fracture of his right lower leg.

A detective from the Woodfin Police Department questioned defendant and Ms. Shank in the waiting room of the hospital.   Defendant initially told the officer that Lyle had stopped breathing “because of the Ker-O-Sun heater.â€￾   Defendant responded to the officer's further inquiry by adding that “a couple of days ago I was holding him, and he slipped and fell, and he hurt his arm.â€￾   The officer subsequently arrested both defendant and Ms. Shank and transported them to the Buncombe County jail.   Later that day, while in police custody, defendant issued a written statement in which he admitted the following:

Today Lyle was crying as I was holding him, and my temper and patience snapped again, as he was crying and crying no matter how soothing and gentle I was.   He just kept crying, and I couldn't handle him any more, and I started hitting him on the side of his head and trying to get him to stop crying, and he wouldn't.   I kept telling him to stop it, and he wouldn't, and I kept on hitting him with my hand on his head.

Despite aggressive medical efforts to save Lyle's life, he died at Asheville's Mission Memorial Hospital on 18 March 1993.   Following Lyle's death, defendant was indicted for the first-degree murder of his infant son.   Defendant entered into a plea agreement dated 18 November 1993, consenting to a guilty plea to first-degree murder.   As a condition to the plea, the State agreed to dismiss the first-degree sexual assault charge pending against defendant.
[...]
http://caselaw.findlaw.com/nc-supreme-court/1185092.html
Theres alot more at the link but to much to post

SUPREME COURT OF NORTH CAROLINA Docket#: 9A94-3
Summary Docket Sheet
Last Updated: 10/02/2002
State v Randy Lynn Atkins Completed: Yes

Docketed: 03/13/2001 Acquired: 03/13/2001

Appeal Type: PC-DEATH - Post-conviction petition in Death Case
Has Been Denied on 03/27/2001

Case Type: Criminal(Death)

Petition Cite(s): 353 N.C. 382
http://www.aoc.state.nc.us/www/public/sc/summary/009-94-3.htm

Frontline Lawyers Tell of Trying Capital Crimes
Ron Moore has been the elected District Attorney in Buncombe County for 18 years. Nearly 100 students came to Belk Auditorium on March 25 to hear Defense Lawyer Sean Devereaux and District Attorney for Buncombe County Ron Moore discuss the death penalty.
[...]
Moore discussed a specific case of Randy Atkins. During the week of the blizzard in March 1993, he got a call from his assistant who deals with sexual assault, sexual abuse, and child abuse cases telling him that he needed to make a visit to the hospital. Upon arriving he found a 9-month old baby on life support with bruises, broken legs, and more importantly, a crushed skull. A second brain scan found that the baby was brain dead. "The nurses and doctors were torn up about that baby," said Moore. So was he. An autopsy was conducted, and he knew that it was a case that he wanted to try.
[...]
That Friday night he visited the funeral home. About 20 people were there. There were three sets of flowers, two given by Moore and his assistant. The mother and father could not come because they were both in jail. Moore helped carry the baby's coffin to the grave through two feet of snow.
At the trial, Atkins' excuse for his crime was his alter ego named Craig.
The mother decided to testify against her husband. She said she had seen Randy Atkins hit the child against their trailer. With a baby doll she showed the jury, audience and the judge what she had seen. Grabbing the baby doll by the ankles, she paused for nearly a minute. Then she raised the baby doll and slammed it against the confession booth. After the demonstration, everyone watching began to cry in horror, imagining what it must have been like to be there watching the baby die.
Atkins was found guilty of first degree murder and was sentenced to death. Moore said he still sometimes thinks about that baby. "That is a case that I can never get over."
http://hilltop.mhc.edu/033108/prejean/legalpanel.asp
2vns1gp.jpg
Randy Lynn Atkins was indicted on April 12, 1993, for first-degree sexual offense and first-degree murder of his 8-month-old son, Lyle James Atkins.
On November 18, 1993, Atkins plead guilty to the first-degree murder charge in a plea deal if the State would dismiss the sexual offense charge. Atkins was found guilty of the murder of his infant son and sentenced to death.​

Man you get so much detail in court opinions. lately I've been looking up allot of cases this way and it's mind blowing how sick and deprived some people really are.

This is just ghastly, I'm truly horrified!

I found this one the way you did by accident, sickening!
BENJAMIN ROBERT COLE, Appellant -vs- STATE OF OKLAHOMA, Appellee
Case Number: D-2004-1260
COURT OF CRIMINAL APPEALS OF OKLAHOMA
[...]
Appellant's nine-month-old daughter, Brianna Cole, was murdered on December 20, 2002. According to the State Medical Examiner, Brianna's spine had been snapped in half, and her aorta had been completely torn through due to non-accidental stretching. The official cause of death was described as a fracture of the spine with aortic laceration.

Appellant eventually admitted causing the fatal injuries. In a statement he gave to police, Appellant said he'd been trying, unsuccessfully, to get the child, who was lying on her stomach, to stop crying. Appellant eventually grabbed his daughter by the ankles and pushed her legs toward her head until she flipped over. This action broke the child's back and resulted in fatal injuries.[..]

Last edited:
What a sick evil looking bastard. I sincerely hope he's in with the general population getting beaten & raped every day and night. They should pipe in the sound of a baby crying into his cell nightly, to enhance his rest & dreams.

Why is this festering pile of ghoulish shit even still alive? He looks exactly like what he is. Notice how saggy his face is. The overall asymmetry of it. I do hope that means someone has been using it as a punching bag. Or perhaps it has been pushed into a hard wall/surface numerous times. Or perhaps thrown to the floor and stomped on or kicked repeatedly. He deserves endless and horrific punishment until he begs to die.

This just ripped my heart out....
Today Lyle was crying as I was holding him, and my temper and patience snapped again, as he was crying and crying no matter how soothing and gentle I was.   He just kept crying, and I couldn't handle him any more, and I started hitting him on the side of his head and trying to get him to stop crying, and he wouldn't.   I kept telling him to stop it, and he wouldn't, and I kept on hitting him with my hand on his head.
OMG! this "thing" this "it" not human, NOT! and the woman decided to testify against him??! get a rope. fuck that shit. She should have killed him upon seeing him beat her baby like a rag-doll!

I HATE that picture of that "thing". It's so vile. Looking for a picture of baby Lyle, but no luck.....

Rest in peace baby Lyle James Atkins. You deserved, hugs kisses, loved completely.
246m1ic.jpg

Last edited:
This just ripped my heart out....
OMG! this "thing" this "it" not human, NOT! and the woman decided to testify against him??! get a rope. fuck that shit. She should have killed him upon seeing him beat her baby like a rag-doll!

I HATE that picture of that "thing". It's so vile. Looking for a picture of baby Lyle, but no luck.....

Rest in peace baby Lyle James Atkins. You deserved, hugs kisses, loved completely.
246m1ic.jpg

Its too late now, my sons are grown up, but if I were a young woman again, never ever would I let a man watch my baby after reading the shit I read here, NEVER, listen all you stupid bitches who think the man is your love or whatever, DO NOT LET MEN< EVEN IF HE IS HE FATHER WATCH YOUR BABY! fuck dont even let some women watch the baby, do like DR. Laura says and take care of your baby yourself!

Poor little guy Lyle, sorry you didnt get a chance to grow up... this is making me too sad, put this fucker in the electric chair like they did on green mile, no water, let this fucker sufffer...

From the link:
[...]Dr. Jon Silver, a neurosurgeon, testified that Lyle's injuries were worse than the injuries sustained by a child he had previously treated who had been run over by a tractor.   Dr. Robert Wiggins, a pediatric ophthalmologist, indicated that he had seen only one other patient with retinal hemorrhages as severe as Lyle's.   Dr. David Merten, a pediatric radiologist, testified that, “In the twenty-two years that I have been doing pediatric radiology and in the nine years that I practiced pediatrics before becoming a pediatric radiologist, I have never seen as extensive bone injuries as this baby had.”   Dr. Cynthia Brown, the pediatrician initially responsible for Lyle's care upon his hospital admission on 16 March 1993, testified that Lyle was “probably the most severely battered child I've ever seen.”[...]

People are monsters. Maybe the reason the baby wouldn't stop crying that day was because he was already so damn broken! They are both total pieces of shit, the male and female things that were supposed to care for little Lyle.

The thing I read here that hurt me the most was that DA Moore helped carry that tiny casket to his grave in two feet of snow. In my mind I could see it and I couldn't help but cry.

The sooner that put this thing down the better.

Made me cry too, Baby Lyle had no one but strangers to him to care for him and treat him with the respect he deserved... strangers had to lay him to rest, bless him and cry over him...

Its too late now, my sons are grown up, but if I were a young woman again, never ever would I let a man watch my baby after reading the shit I read here, NEVER, listen all you stupid bitches who think the man is your love or whatever, DO NOT LET MEN< EVEN IF HE IS HE FATHER WATCH YOUR BABY! fuck dont even let some women watch the baby, do like DR. Laura says and take care of your baby yourself!

Hang on a second here. Yeah, there are some rotten people in the world. But they come in both genders. And to say, based on the crap on this site, that NO MAN should EVER be entrusted to care for HIS OWN CHILD? That's insane. If you think that men are so awful that not a single one of them can manage to love and nurture their own children, then WHY IN GOD'S NAME would you have a child with one of the godawful monsters?

My husband is a stay-at-home dad, and has been since our daughter was 6 weeks old. He changed her diapers, fed her her bottles, walked her in circles around the house for hours on end when her colic was bothering her, and was nothing but kind and gentle to her. Ever. She's three now, and they have an amazing, wonderful relationship. He is her best friend, and vice versa.

So yeah, for every bad guy, there are a dozen good ones. The lesson to be learned from this site isn't "no man can be trusted", it's LEARN TO TELL THE F'ING DIFFERENCE.

Hang on a second here. Yeah, there are some rotten people in the world. But they come in both genders. And to say, based on the crap on this site, that NO MAN should EVER be entrusted to care for HIS OWN CHILD? That's insane. If you think that men are so awful that not a single one of them can manage to love and nurture their own children, then WHY IN GOD'S NAME would you have a child with one of the godawful monsters?

My husband is a stay-at-home dad, and has been since our daughter was 6 weeks old. He changed her diapers, fed her her bottles, walked her in circles around the house for hours on end when her colic was bothering her, and was nothing but kind and gentle to her. Ever. She's three now, and they have an amazing, wonderful relationship. He is her best friend, and vice versa.

So yeah, for every bad guy, there are a dozen good ones. The lesson to be learned from this site isn't "no man can be trusted", it's LEARN TO TELL THE F'ING DIFFERENCE.
Agree. Saying never to trust ANY man is fully loaded. Ffs, there would be complete and utter chaos if MOST men were like these asshole, bastard, baby killers we read about. The truth is men have a nurturing side some more than others. If more parents were raising boys to be balanced individuals, supporting and embracing the nurturing side they have, we'd see even more caring fathers. I never had a father that was kind and nurturing, but as a mother of 2 boys my goal is to raise them into loving, caring men. Couple that with strength and integrity, that is something to behold. Besides, seems to me as I read here, lots of woman are piss, poor excuses for mothers. The same applies in raising young girls into fine mothers.

Coffee, so good to read on a father like your hubs. We know they are out there as my husband is a fantastic father too, but it helps to be reminded. We get buried under this shit we have to remember to come up for air.

Last edited:
I am a survivor!! I am not going to let his existence determine my happiness, nor allow me to be brought down....My nightmares are real and I am working hard on getting rid of him. Please NC....I have suffered enough....I didn't commit the crimes he did, but I am paying for them....

I am a survivor!! I am not going to let his existence determine my happiness, nor allow me to be brought down....My nightmares are real and I am working hard on getting rid of him. Please NC....I have suffered enough....I didn't commit the crimes he did, but I am paying for them....

Are you the child's mother?

@Morticiaa1979 what are you meaning to say? Have you been in a situation like this or are you part of the this story??? Would you or did you stand there and watch a piece of shit batter a/your baby to death? If you would/did then you too deserve to pay for the crime too!! Over my dead body would someone beat my baby like this. They would have to go through me first. And if it was too late and I was threatened then they'd better kill me too. Cause not even for a second would a real mother try and help cover the ass of their child's murderer. If this is you I feel nothing for you but disgust. I hope you relive those moments you failed your baby everyday for the rest of your worthless life.

I was a sexually abused by him for years. I did NOT have kids with him. He ran from my state to another and then another, leaving others in chaos. He dislocated my hips and back. He decided that kids were his thing to beat. I am so mad that I couldn't protect Lyle. He was innocent and I fault the other states who knew about things and didn't stop him. More to the story, but let's just say--I want him gone!!!! I have been tormented since the 1980s from him!!!!

Man you get so much detail in court opinions. lately I've been looking up allot of cases this way and it's mind blowing how sick and deprived some people really are.

This is just ghastly, I'm truly horrified!

I found this one the way you did by accident, sickening!

Fuck why did I click on that link. I read a lot of ducked up shit here but damnnnn

I was a sexually abused by him for years. I did NOT have kids with him. He ran from my state to another and then another, leaving others in chaos. He dislocated my hips and back. He decided that kids were his thing to beat. I am so mad that I couldn't protect Lyle. He was innocent and I fault the other states who knew about things and didn't stop him. More to the story, but let's just say--I want him gone!!!! I have been tormented since the 1980s from him!!!!

I'm so sorry this happened to you, Morticiaa. This is why I say that those who prey upon children should get the death penalty - because one worthless wretch can leave a long trail of wounded and bleeding victims in his wake.

I fervently hope you will find peace. You deserve it, and this piece of human excrement does not deserve to take away another second of your happiness.

i seriously wish i hadnt read this! it ruined my day all these babies and children dying at the hands of evil! poor little guy! i need a vacation from here, i cant stomach this anymore.

Who was he to you if you don't mind me asking. Was Lyle your brother?
Does it really matter who he was to her??? isn't it enough that he put her through that???

I know how it is to feel guilty about not protecting someone from abuse and I let the guilt eat me up for years. I had a step-monster who chocked my baby sister so hard, he left a perfect fingertip-bruise necklace all they way around her neck because she "undermined his authority". She was at that stage babies have where they are fascinated by going up one step, down one step. We were only allowed to be in certain parts of the house at certain times, otherwise we had to be in our rooms. My sister was going up and down the top step to the stairs that led to the lower half of the house, which we weren't allowed to go, ever. Her big beautiful blue eyes were beat-red for a month...something you see after someone who has been strangled, then revived. I felt guilty that I wasn't able to protect her because I was both the big sister and the fighter. I was also 9 years old and in school at the time. The police were called and CPS showed up to "investigate". He made up this lame story how he saved her from falling down the flight of stairs by "catching" her at the last second. Who in the hell grabs a falling baby by wrapping their hands around their neck and squeezing so hard, the blood vessels in her eyes burst?????? The police and CPS chose to believe that lie because they did not want to accept the fact that a man of God (he was a minister) could be such a sick, cruel evil person.

That low-life also got away with molesting his own children and biting chunks of flesh out of my mother. His daughters told the authorities about the molestation, but "they" refused to believe my stepsisters because "a minister would never do that". When my mom had to go to the ER for stitches and get massive amounts of antibiotics to fight the terrible infections she got when he'd bite chunks of flesh out of her, the doctors accused her of doing that to herself because "a minister of a church doesn't do those things" and had her committed to a psych ward. Now, you tell me, how in the hell can any person bite chunks of their own flesh from their neck or the skin on their collar bone area or off their own breasts (she is small-breasted)?????

I flat out hated him and 98% of the human population for being so fucking stupid that they preferred to bury their heads in the sand to protect their own belief that people who have religion are not capable of being evil, even though the evidence was right fucking there. I was an 8 year old girl and could see what the hell was going on...but they couldn't???????!! Adults were suppose to be the smart ones, weren't they?

Like all child-abusers and women beaters, he was a coward. He never physically abused me because I showed him early on that I will defend myself and I was an excellent kicker. An older boy who was standing behind me in the lunch line pulled my skirt down but didn't expect my underwear to go with it. I didn't know that he did not intend for my underwear to go down too but anyway I pulled my underwear and skirt back up, then proceeded to kick the snot out of him.

The step-monster did, however, put me in the role of "the troubled bad kid in the family". I guess every messed up family has to have a "troubled kid" so people on the outside would focus on that kid and not what was really going on. He'd look for any little reason to call the cops on me for "being out-of-control". All of that guilt, hate, and anger carried around inside of me was too much to keep contained so I started cutting on myself, attempted suicide a few times, became anorexic, and then a junkie. I was in and out of in-patient treatment centers from the time I was 12 to 30 yrs old. Professionals tried to convince me that I had to forgive him if I wanted to get rid of that anger and hate, but to this day I still can't find any way to forgive him and what he did. I did meet a person who showed me how to forgive myself within a half hour of talking to him.

I was still a newcomer at an AA meeting when I told my life story and afterwards, an old-timer pulled me off to the side, wanting to talk to me. He pointed out something that I was too clouded up to see....I became exactly what that step-monster wanted me to be. He pointed out that all of that guilt, hatred, and self-loathing I carried around inside me and what I was doing didn't belong to me...it belonged to him and (this is what hit me between the eyes) I was carrying that shit on my back for him. I'll be damned before I do that asshole any favors.

Morticiaa, that anger and guilt does not belong to you. It belongs to that evil bastard. He is the one who did those terrible things, not you. Those feelings are his and his alone, not yours. I get my revenge on my ex step-monster by doing the exact opposite of what he wanted for me. He wanted me to feel the way I did because as long as I felt that way, he didn't have to. He didn't want me to be a happy person. He was only happy when the rest of us were miserable. Guess what? Now that my mom, my sisters, and I have learned what it is to be happy, that POS is miserable.

@karebu72

I understand. I was the "bad" kid too. I also learned i wasn't bad. You weren't bad. THEY were bad.

So many, many hugs.

He pointed out that all of that guilt, hatred, and self-loathing I carried around inside me and what I was doing didn't belong to me...it belonged to him and (this is what hit me between the eyes) I was carrying that shit on my back for him. I'll be damned before I do that asshole any favors.
<3<3<3<3
Thank you for posting this.

Thanks Nell, hugs back :) You are right, we were never "bad" kids. I just hope that Morticiaa and anybody else who has been gone through shit like this can find something I said to help them be more than just a survivor. Anybody can survive...being happy after surviving hell is what is all about.

He was not my brother, but I should have done more....Maybe spoke up louder, SCREAMED, something....I just remember that when the cops can to the school to question me about another child abuse case he was involved in, I lied....He told me that he knew where I lived, classes I took, he would even murder my horse....I was a little girl. When I finally spoke, he was in another state, as he was running from the law....he went to VA and then moved to NC....by the time they found him, he had reproduced Lyle....Lyle is innocent in this. Part of me has died, but I vowed that Lyle will not be a "forgotten statistic"....

He was not my brother, but I should have done more....Maybe spoke up louder, SCREAMED, something....I just remember that when the cops can to the school to question me about another child abuse case he was involved in, I lied....He told me that he knew where I lived, classes I took, he would even murder my horse....I was a little girl. When I finally spoke, he was in another state, as he was running from the law....he went to VA and then moved to NC....by the time they found him, he had reproduced Lyle....Lyle is innocent in this. Part of me has died, but I vowed that Lyle will not be a "forgotten statistic"....

Morticiaa, Lyle was innocent. But so are you.

It's only recently that people have begun to be able to accept that some people pose as (step)parents in order to have unfettered access to their victims. The odds are very good that no one would have believed you if you had spoken up in the '80s. If you had screamed, you probably would have been sent away to juvie or worse. Your job at that time was to keep yourself alive and as safe as you could. You thought it was safer to say nothing. You made the best decision you could have with the information you had. In fact, we don't know that it wasn't the best decision.

Even if you had reported his actions, Lyle was his biological child. Even today, people who abuse stepchildren are allowed to have their own children on a trial run, so to speak. They have to actually kill or abuse the new child before anyone even thinks of doing anything.

I hope you let go of your guilt.

I also hope that you realize that this fool tried to make you feel ashamed so he could feel like he was better than someone. He doesn't deserve to have a scapegoat take an ounce of the blame off his shoulders.

Back