• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Dakota

FORUM BITCH / Beloved Cunt
Bold Member!
-dd-1333.jpg
-dd-291.jpg
A former radiology technician accused of improperly entering negative results on mammograms at Perry Hospital was released from the Houston County jail on a $50,000 bond Monday.

Rachael Michelle Rapraeger, 30, of Macon, made bond Monday afternoon, said Houston County sheriff’s Maj. Charles Holt, who is over the operation of the jail. She is on house arrest as part of the bond agreement.

Rapraeger is accused of entering negative results for 1,289 mammograms at Perry Hospital that were not read by a radiologist from Jan. 22, 2009, to April 1, 2010. Of the 1,289 mammograms entered as negative, 10 were actually positive, prosecutors said.
[...]

Rapraeger was indicted Sept. 7 by a Houston County grand jury on 10 felony counts of computer forgery and 10 counts of misdemeanor reckless conduct.

The bond was conditioned on Rapraeger being on electronic monitoring, that she have no contact with any of the alleged victims and that she may not work or volunteer in any medical or health-related areas. She also was banished from Houston County as part of the agreement while on bond, except for court appearances and appointments related to the electronic monitoring.
http://www.macon.com/2010/10/04/1290019/woman-accused-in-perry-mammogram.html

Yeah that could be it, but really reading them was not her job, that was to be done by someone else who was qualified to read them, she was just a technician, seemed to me like she was doing somebody else's job. Taking it upon herself to do a job that she couldn't and shouldn't do. But I have known folks who really and truly thought they knew everything and could do whatever they liked, and most of the time they did until they were caught.

What I want to know is, how does this hospital have 1200 mammograms that never got read by a radiologist? When I worked in a hospital twelve years ago, there were systems in place where the records people didn't get the scans til they came from the radiologist. How come the hospital checks and balances failed this massively?

What I want to know is, how does this hospital have 1200 mammograms that never got read by a radiologist? When I worked in a hospital twelve years ago, there were systems in place where the records people didn't get the scans til they came from the radiologist. How come the hospital checks and balances failed this massively?
That got to me too. I've looked and the closest explanation I found is this (from early September):
At this time, Rapraeger is believed to have acted alone and without the knowledge of any radiologist or other physician, Ashford said. However, Perry police Chief George Potter noted that the investigation remains open, and Ashford noted that should any others be found to be involved, those people could face possible indictment.
[...]

Victor Moldovan, an Atlanta attorney representing Houston Healthcare, previously said the discovery of an anomaly April 2 resulted in a radiation technician coming forward April 5 confessing that she signed off on mammograms as if she were the radiologist. The woman, now identified in the indictment as Rapraeger, was sent home that afternoon and dismissed April 6, he said.

The Perry police investigation was initiated in April to determine whether any criminal activity occurred, with the findings then turned over to the district attorney’s office for review, police said.
[...]

Moldovan’s office released a news release late Tuesday afternoon from Cary Martin, interim president and chief executive officer for Houston Healthcare.

“Perry Hospital has completed its own internal review of the radiology department and also concluded that Ms. Rapraeger acted alone,” Martin said in the news release. “Perry Hospital supports the district attorney’s decision to proceed with a criminal indictment.”
[...]

“We at Perry Hospital and Houston Healthcare sincerely regret the actions of Ms. Rapraeger and the consequences such actions have brought by her unauthorized and inexplicable acts,” Martin said in the news release.
http://www.macon.com/2010/09/08/1256086/woman-indicted-in-mammogram-case.html

Ladyeridan, you hit the nail on the head, that's exactly what i was trying to say.

Also, I call bullshit on her acting alone, there is no way 1200 mammograms were performed and nobody knew that she signed off on them herself, I don't know anything about the internal workings of a hospital but I'm sure that there was only a few that were qualified to sign off so didn't they suspect something was wrong when they didn't have any mammograms to check? Somebody somewhere is head of the department and knew how many mammograms had been performed so they had to know!

Yeah, NO. there's no POSSIBLE way she signed off on 1200 mammos without SOMEONE knowing what was going on. I'ma bet it's something like "Here, put these into the system" FLOP 4 inch stack of reports on the desk. "hey, these haven't been signed!" "so sign 'em, i'll initial them later with my OK." Lather Rinse Repeat.

I am sorry to hear about your mom; that must be very scary. And to think that several women's diagnosis were delayed because of this POS... that's just heartless.

Dayuuum! Fucking fat lazy bitch! I know I'm chubby and even put in some fake numbers at my old job but it had nothing to do with people lives! Sheesh!

Back