• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39425394
Luis Arroyo was sentenced to seven years in prison after pleading guilty to mistreatment of an animal and domestic abuse.

The 40-year-old attacked the two-month-old Chihuahua puppy and punched his girlfriend in the western mountain town of Lares on 4 February.

Judge Carlos Lopez Jimenez also fined Arroyo $3,000 (£2,400) in the case.
[....]
jobless Arroyo had been living with his 38-year-old girlfriend for six months.

The puppy died instantly, the daily reports.

No motive was given for the attack.

God I despise chihuahuas. Worst invention ever. I would enjoy punting one like a football far more than biting off its head, though.

7 years imprisonment for animal abuse is intense! Is Puerto Rico on the relatively extreme side for sentencing compared to the United States, or are they just super into animal protection? No US states would inflict that kind of sentence for killing a dog.

We don't get a lot of Puerto Rico stories here so I'm not sure what's typical for them.

I agree. But aren't they kind of part of the U.S.? I still don't understand the territory thing.

They are a part of the US, but since they aren't a state they don't have to adhere to many of the rules that states must follow and they also don't receive the same support (I believe they don't get welfare or SSI, but could be wrong). They can't vote in federal elections and don't pay federal taxes since Congress has no role in how they function, so we also don't tend to help them out to the same extent as our states. I'm not sure what support we do give them and what role the president has (does anyone here know before I have to Google the shit out of this?).

Basically, they govern and take care of themselves completely but are part of the US. It's mostly an identity thing where they want to be "Puerto Ricans" instead of "Americans" and applying for statehood diminishes some of that pride for many people. I'm not sure what most citizens feel about the legal aspects or what changes statehood would enact, but financially it would probably be very beneficial for them to apply for statehood since Puerto Rico isn't exactly known for a booming economy and safe streets in comparison to the continental US. I know applying for statehood has been a topic of debate recently but I'm not sure what came of it.

Does anyone else know about this? I'm sure SOMEONE has a better grasp here, help me out!

Takes a lot of anger to bite off even a little puppy head. I don't like chihuahuas either, but I think it's what the owner turns the dog into more than the dog itself. Many people who get little drop kick dogs don't know how to train them, and turn the dog into yippy yappy bitey trash.

God I despise chihuahuas. Worst invention ever. I would enjoy punting one like a football far more than biting off its head, though.

7 years imprisonment for animal abuse is intense! Is Puerto Rico on the relatively extreme side for sentencing compared to the United States, or are they just super into animal protection? No US states would inflict that kind of sentence for killing a dog.

We don't get a lot of Puerto Rico stories here so I'm not sure what's typical for them.

He was also done for domestic abuse. This was not all for the puppy. Not that one expects to see domestic abuse punished all that hard in a macho society either, though.

they are building tougher laws on domestic abuse and also on animal abuse. They do go hand in had and people are pushing for tougher laws here too on animal deaths at the hands of freaks who are tryign to terrorize their abused others

Back