• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

notchback

Insensitive Asshole
Bold Member!
As if we didn't already know the British "justice" system wasn't a crock of shit....

https://boingboing.net/2018/01/05/prolific-british-rapist-with.html

John Worboys is a cab driver thought to have sexually assaulted at least 100 victims and convicted on 19 counts in 2009. But he's getting out of jail after only 8 years, having nailed it as his first parole hearing.

He was convicted of one rape, five sexual assaults, one attempted assault and 12 drugging charges.

As well as being ordered to serve at least eight years, Worboys was given an indeterminate sentence, meaning he could be kept in prison as for as long as he was deemed to remain a danger to the public.

In 2010 Worboys had an appeal against his conviction thrown out by the Court of Appeal, where Lord Justice Moses labelled his offences as "appalling".

They didn't even bother to tell his victims.

The chairman of the Parole Board has apologised "unreservedly" after some victims of sex attacker John Worboys were not told about his release.

Nick Hardwick said hearing the decision must have been "horrible" for the women but the board was "confident" 60-year-old Worboys would not reoffend.

Former black-cab driver Worboys is believed to have carried out more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults on women.

One lawyer, quoted by the BBC, calculates his sentence as one month per sexual assault.

"the decision must have been "horrible" for the women but the board was "confident" 60-year-old Worboys would not reoffend."

...as his balls are completely drained.

I''ll bet he said he was really really sorry and would do his best to amend his dastardly ways.

So they changed his name and set him up in a council "house with a sauna and room for a pony"*

And that's a "Keeping Up Appearances" reference Y'all.:D

I'm sick and I got nothing else to do but think up quotes today.

Nick Hardwick said hearing the decision must have been "horrible" for the women but the board was "confident" 60-year-old Worboys would not reoffend.

Former blackcab driver Worboys is believed to have carried out more than 100 rapes and sexual assaults on women.

I'm sure the original miscarriage of justice of only having to serve a minimum of eight years was also horrible for these women.

When he does re-offend and that's when, not if, whoever he attacks should not only sue the parole board who was sooo sure he wouldn't do it again, but also the original judge that made such a shitty sentence to begin with.

Fuck the British 'justice' system.

Not to nit pick but I don't see anything in this article that would deem it "crimes against children".

Fuck the Brits though. All they care about it what royal is marrying who.

The government is doing everything possible to make sure rapist John Worboys stays in prison, Conservative party chairman Brandon Lewis has said.

The former black cab driver was jailed in 2009 for assaults on 12 women in London but police believe he may have committed as many as 100 such attacks.

The Parole Board has recommended he should be released and is "confident correct procedures were followed".

But the government is considering challenging that decision in court.

Justice Secretary David Gauke is looking into the possibility of applying for judicial review, but will only proceed if there is a good chance of success.

If a judge finds the Parole Board did not follow the correct process or reached its decision on the wrong basis, that decision would be quashed and Worboys would have to make a fresh application for parole.

Analysis: A scoping exercise
By Alex Forsyth, BBC political correspondent

There was a huge backlash to the Parole Board's decision to release John Worboys - from those who thought it was the wrong decision and from those who were critical about the way victims had been informed about it.

At this stage, David Gauke's actions are just a scoping exercise, he won't proceed unless he feels there are grounds to do so.

Nonetheless, this is significant. It is highly unusual for a justice secretary to intervene in the decisions of the Parole Board in this way, and that's because the Parole Board is very deliberately independent of government.

It's understood that Mr Gauke, who is new to the job of justice secretary, takes that independence very seriously and wants to maintain it, which is why at this stage he is just collecting information about the possibility of judicial review.

The fact that they did not offer to hear his victims as part of the parole hearing was a mistake and appears to be what they think they might be able to get the decision reversed over.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-42678572
[doublepost=1518038139,1515938514][/doublepost]
"Black cab rapist" John Worboys faced one of his victims in court as an appeal to challenge his release was granted.

Worboys, who was jailed for drugging and sexually assaulting passengers, was due to be freed on licence.

He appeared at the High Court earlier, where judges heard a judicial review application lodged by two of his victims, one of whom attended court.

Worboys was told he would remain in jail until a full hearing on 13 March.

The case was brought forward by two of Worboys' victims and the Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan.

They are crowdfunding their action and have been pledged more than £62,000.

Earlier in the hearing, Worboys agreed that the victims and Mr Khan should be allowed to see the Parole Board's reasons for ordering his release.

Ben Collins, for the Parole Board, told the court: "The board does not wish to take any step to prevent a review of the decision and does not propose to stand in the way."

Phillippa Kaufmann QC, representing two of Worboys' victims, said it appeared something had gone "very wrong" and the victims were "concerned not only for themselves but for the wider public and women in particular".

The victims were also concerned that the decision was "made entirely in secret," Ms Kaufmann said.

Reacting to the ruling, mayor Sadiq Khan said Worboys' victims and Londoners would be "relieved".

"I'm pleased that there will now be an opportunity for thorough scrutiny of this decision by the Parole Board," he added.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-42975631

I'm sure most of the victims have a significant other now. I'm also sure a fair share of them are chomping at the bit to go handle this fucker. I know I damn sure would be. It's only a matter of time.

The board was “confident” Worboys would not reoffend.

What an arrogant thing to say to the victims! Next they’ll pat the vics on their head and tell them not to worry so much.

Let me guess— the board is made up of a bunch of white guys.

The British Crown sux. The ridiculously low sentences given to prolific and maniac offenders is so defeating. Why don't they just give the offenders a balloon and bag of candy and send them on their happy way. That's about what it amounts to.

If a violent crime was committed against me in that country, i wouldnt expect justice. Not sure how this is even newsworthy to be honest, not sure why anyone would even feel wronged. Are they not used to this over there? Did any of the victims actually think more time would be served? It's miraculous he got as much as he did, they threw the book at him, truly.

It' worded so weird, the former black cab driver. Is he now purple? Or are cabs called black cabs?
I don't know what color he is.

It may have been a little better to describe him as a "former driver of a black cab".

--Al

It' worded so weird, the former black cab driver. Is he now purple? Or are cabs called black cabs?

Black cabs are the only cabs that are licensed to pick people up in the street in London. They are sometimes referred to as hackney cabs as well. You can book a minicab by phone and they will come and collect you from a specified address, but only a black cab (they come in other colours now, but they have a very characteristic shape) can be flagged down from the side of the road on a whim.

This is supposed to be safe, because the drivers are carefully vetted, which is why the breach of trust in this case caused such outrage.
[doublepost=1522232247,1518248527][/doublepost]
A decision by the Parole Board to release the rapist John Worboys has been quashed, as the Board's chairman Nick Hardwick resigns.

The legal challenge by two victims was upheld by the High Court which said "further inquiry" was needed into Worboys' offending.

The case will now be referred back to the Parole Board.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43568533

The black-cab driver John Worboys has lost his appeal against the two additional life sentences he received in 2019 when more victims of the serial rapist came forward.
The 63-year-old was jailed indefinitely in 2009 for public protection with a minimum term of eight years after being found guilty of 19 offences involving attacks on 12 women, the earliest in 2000.
A 2018 decision to release Worboys was reversed by the Parole Board after a widespread public outcry and prompted other victims to report attacks. He was subsequently sentenced to two additional life sentences for attacks on four more women, with a minimum six-year term.
The Parole Board decision to release Worboys was overturned by the high court in March 2018 after two of his victims challenged the decision. In November of the same year, the Parole Board overturned its own decision, deciding he should remain in prison after noting his risk and “sense of sexual entitlement”. The Parole Board’s then chair, Nick Hardwick, lost his job over the affair.

Last edited:
Back