• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

billy madatchu

Evidently there is a problem with public shitting in India. Enough so, that UNICEF has started a campaign to help wipe out the public defecation problem. According to their site Poo2Loo:

"Women and girls face shame and a loss of personal dignity and safety risk if there is no toilet at home. They have to wait for the night to relieve themselves to avoid being seen by others."

"With 44 per cent of mothers disposing their children’s feces in the open, there is a very high risk of microbial contamination (bacteria, viruses, amoeba) of water which causes diarrhea in children."

The site is full of fun other facts including special songs, pictures, and ways YOU can help!

Here is just 1 that I happen to come across on Youtube this morning I thought I would share..

"Women and girls face shame and a loss of personal dignity and safety risk if there is no toilet at home. They have to wait for the night to relieve themselves to avoid being seen by others."
This is so sad.. it may have some funny mixed in.. I'm just glad we don't have to live like this.

This is so sad.. it may have some funny mixed in.. I'm just glad we don't have to live like this.
well, with the amount of intelligence that comes from there, one would think they would have grasped a public sanitation system by now. but yeah, i am glad we don't live like that.

with the amount of intelligence that comes from there, one would think they would have grasped a public sanitation system by now
You're talking about a very different country though.. where the disparity between classes is far greater than other nations, especially here. I'm certain this is in the slums... and while there may be some intelligence there, the bigger issue is the profoundly poor quality of life they live. They don't just not have plumbing issues, they have gangs that use little kids to beg and homeless living in rubbish and filth.. this is just one aspect of what those people are living with. I've talked with some Indian people and when they visit there, they have to be careful of the water they buy in a shop because the shops there will literally bottle their bad ground water and reseal the lids to try to make a buck. There is no money and no grasping better...you can grasp all you want, but without funds to do anything about it... that's just a pipe dream.. pun intended.

yeah, a ton of that i completely get, but a ton of it happens here too. but we regulate better, evidently. either way.. its just really shitty... pun intended. ;)

but a ton of it happens here too
I have to disagree on this.. we may have a small percentage of people living in true poverty in this country, but we don't compare to India in this way.

Wikipedia is really nice and colorful.. shows US at Not Applicable and India at 29% by comparison on the second chart.. they didn't even list the US on the first chart, which shows % of people living at under $1.25 a day, with India at 32.67% while a whopping 68.72% living on the extravagant $2 a day equivalent.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_percentage_of_population_living_in_poverty

Comparable countries to India are Ghana, Ethiopia.. they can't be compared to the US. Even China, which I think of as being poor in areas, due to the coverage lately on thier ruined rivers and such, only show at 11% under $1.25 and 27.2% at under $2.00

India might not be as poor as Haiti, or Congo, but it's not like here.

they can't be compared to the US
they can. who's fault is it that they are living like that? they come to america, get american education, then stay here and gain wealth. why dont they go back and fix their own country. and stop breeding? or at the very least, stop shitting all over the place. i mean i get it.. they are poor. but they are not stupid. in america, these idiots have all the capabilities of living a great life, but choose not to. and gangs using kids are everywhere. thieves, ghettos, criminals.. they are all over the globe. so what makes india so poor? so poor that they dont understand that shitting all over the place is bad for their health and completely barbaric? i'm not buying it. to me, its just ignorance.

I've been treated by quite a few doctors who came from India. I always wonder why they don't help their own people. It's really sad.

i'm not buying it.
Try going there.. then judge. I seriously doubt you'd have the same opinion.. but when a person can't be told the facts, that almost 100% of the population are living on either $1.25 or $2.00 a day, that they can't afford to accomplish care of themselves, then what would you believe? There's a reason their people flea to England and America for a better life. And as I said before, in convo with Indians who grew up in England, if you go back, you have to be really careful, or you could die just by drinking the wrong bottled water. Once someone from India has lived somewhere clean and healthy, they can't go back and be magically immune to that very filth they escaped.

Last edited:
I had an Indian co-worker for awhile. He was one of those that went back once a a year for a month visit of family. He would come back every time sick as a dog, and always hated going. It seems like once they are out of the country, they really don't want to even go back.

I always wonder why they don't help their own people
I think that most of the ones I've talked to, do their best to help out those they left behind, however, the sheer numbers of those living there, in deplorable poverty, mean that your successful American or English dollars get stretched thin, pretty quick. It's literally easier & cheaper for them to send plane tickets and move those they care about to a better place.

Last edited:
I was thinking this was a serious discussion on poverty in India. Then I saw the video. What in the actual fuck was that about? Are impoverished Indians supposed to build a giant toilet complete with neon lights and disco ball?

LMFAO :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: I am so remixing this one and playing it at my next glow party & put the video up on the projection screen LOL!!!! thanks @billy madatchu for starting my weekend off laughing.

the real fucked up part is when i saw that the toilet game couldn't be used with anything but an iphone 4 or 5!!!! wtf??? these people are so poor an fucked up that they shit all over the place but they cant play a game designed to teach them where to shit????

Hey Unicef, I have an idea! Instead of wasting time & money creating poo apps you could do something useful like... Install some public restrooms in India! After all isn't it kinda pointless to write songs telling people to shit in a toilet if they DON'T HAVE A TOILET?!

Now I must go & slather myself in hand sanitizer, lots & lots of hand sanitizer!:depressed:

India is still trying to move away from the caste system. Even though it is illegal, it has not been abolished.
In India, caste-based discrimination remains a sad reality for many and accumulates in a strictly hierarchical society, where individual rights become subject to class, caste and gender affiliation. Access to water in particular is used as a means of reinforcing the caste system and perpetuating social exclusion. Members of lower castes are not allowed to use the same water as higher caste people, and often have to settle for distant water sources of poorer quality. As a result of such century-old oppression, these marginalised groups have internalised fatalistic worldviews and feelings of worthlessness and hopelessness prevail among them. Even though caste discrimination is legally prohibited in India, it remains widely practised, especially among rural populations. Development efforts therefore easily get fragmented, reaching those of higher social status while the poorest of the poor – as so often in their lives – are left out. - See more at: http://www.washfunders.org/Blog/inc...-india-s-caste-hierarchy#sthash.w8UiPWkK.dpuf

UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund, is for kids. That disgusting video was made for kids. From the link you posted:
  • The number of schools having toilet facility in India has increased from 0.6 million (52%) in 2005-06 to 1.14 million (84%) in 2010-11. In Indian rural schools, toilet facility increased from 0.4 million schools (49%) in 2005-06 to 0.7 million schools (79%) in 2009-10, where they have at least one toilet facility.
  • Almost 28 million school children across India do not have access to school toilet facilities.
They can't use a toilet if they don't have one. Who knows what they have at home.

Stop crying that they are too poor to follow basic hygeine. This is still a problem in China as well and they have become an economic powerhouse
HAVE THE CHINESE REPLACED AMERICANS AS THE WORST TOURIST
Print
0b0c491b64de37f3f6aee11534a64fd9.jpg

Outside the Louvre in Paris, there’s a sign in Mandarin which tells visitors not to defecate in the surrounding grounds. This sign is only written in Mandarin Chinese. No other nationality, it appears, needs to be reminded where it is and is not appropriate to shit in the vicinity of metropolitan France’s art museums. Every other nation on earth understands implicitly the social contract they're signing up to: that, in exchange for their continued participation in art, visitors must shit only within the white porcelain bowls located inside the designated toilet zones. Not on the pavements. Not even in the bins, or on the breakfast bar of their hotel, or between the tits of a passing waitress. Just the toilets, thanks.

At home, China already has a problem with street defecation, which dovetails nicely with the endemic public-spitting problem that makes most visitors openly retch (thankfully, open-retching is also socially permissible). It seems that, when they go abroad, certain members – not all of them, it must be said – of the Chinese populous are taking that problem with them. It’s not great PR, all told.

[/QUOTE]
http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/are-chinese-tourists-the-worst-tourists-in-the-world

Stop crying that they are too poor to follow basic hygeine.
I can't view the video, so I can't comment on it in particular, but I will stand with what I say, that there are no toilets available to most of them and that is really sad. I agreed already that there is some comic value.. because it's POOP, but it stops being funny to me, when you look at the sad situation of the average Indian and the conditions they actually live in. I don't think anyone is actually arguing that they can't follow basic hygeine, but rather that many of them don't actually have the toilets to do so. I do think @Momzilla is right, that Unicef would be smarter to spend their bucks on getting more toilets/proper plumbing available before spending it telling them how to use them.

no shit... literally. so why would you give me a negative rating for the story and say its dumb? do you know how to take the poo 2 the loo? or is there some confusion? o_O
No confusion if you look at the post I was rating, it wasn't the story. Then read the entire post you were responding to. You missed the part where I said they are doing this to educate children. UNICEF has given up on the backwoods adults and are trying to set the kids straight. So, yes, it's dumb to expect KIDS to know what their parents never learned. I know the vid makes it look like the cities, but the problem is worse in the rural areas.

I still don't get why the higher caste, presumably richer, Indians aren't taking care of this problem. Have they never heard of taxes? They just buy tickets to get the hell out. No wonder they call it Third World.

So, yes, it's dumb to expect KIDS to know what their parents never learned.
a fucking wild animal knows to dig a hole and bury their shit... and how the fuck is this for kids when it is on youtube and they cant afford a goddamn toilet? you are retarded and should move there. they bathe in water with dead bodies floating by.. and fucking child knows that is unhealthy. or their parent at the very least.

If you don't have access to water what's wrong with building an outdoor toilet, 4ft by 4ft, 6ft tall with a tin roof, and two holes (in the floor, if they prefer) or build up a bench and put two holes in it, dig a hole underneath and every 3 months of so throw in some kind of powered something (LIme, I think it is) and there you go, a toilet.

And if you think I know too much about outdoor toilets, I do, I grew up in a house without an indoor bathroom, it wasn't installed until the mid 70's, but that doesn't mean we shit in the yard or the kitchen floor, my mama would have killed us!

If you want to read something that really is more horrifying, the way menestruating women are treated, they have to go sit in a cave or somewhere until it's over because the men think that they'll poison the water or some shit like that, they want to hide that and then the men shit in the street, UN-FUCKING-BELIEVABLE!!!!!!

because the men think that they'll poison the water or some shit like that
meanwhile they bathe and brush their teeth and swim and play in a river littered with dead bodies. but yeah, they need UNICEF to teach them pooping in the street is not a good idea.

@ASC1 Our company had a division in India and I had 15 people in India that reported to me. All the managers were supposed to go to India to train our people on our systems, etc All of us refused because we already new from the initial acquisition team what the conditions were like. They had to spend the extra expense to bring my 15 people here for 6 weeks. They arrived in the US on a Thursday and then started work on Monday. They smelled so bad we could not sit in the same room with them. I actually had to sit with them and spend hours explaining what was expected of them hygiene-wise. Bathing, toileting, hand washing, etc. These were educated people with no less than a bachelor's degree but they had never been out of India. Still one of my guys was arrested for public urination in broad daylight.

And what is your solution to Indians throwing their dead in the river? The Ganges if full of bloated corpses. The people are bathing, drinking and brushing their teeth in the Ganges as bloated corpses are floating by. Corpses on the bank, dogs eating corpses, etc. And that is in addition to all the shit all over the bank.

India is a backward ass fucked up country. Their governments puts their money into cell phone and satellite TV development, etc and doesn't give a shit about basic sanitation. The people don't care because it is what they have always done. And yes it is true that where they do have toilets they do not have toilet paper and do not wash their hands. You wipe your ass with the fingers of your left hand and them rinse your fingers in the bucket of water sitting next to the toilet and go about your business.

This isn't just about poverty. This is about a cultural attitude toward hygiene.

Back