• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
Maybe, or maybe rich families that can afford top law firms with great marketing firms with access to reporters, who can turn public opinion in their favor and get their little darlings off the hook. The focus has already been taken off the little darlings and is now on destroying the victim one more time.

You might be onto something.

Limerick school principal responds to allegations that tragic Phoebe Prince bullied girl

THE headmaster of Villiers Secondary School in Limerick city has insisted he has "nothing negative" to say about tragic schoolgirl Phoebe Prince, a student at the school before her family moved to the United States.
He was responding to allegations made in a US magazine that Phoebe, who took her own life earlier this year, bullied a girl while at Villiers.

The 15-year-old attended the North Circular Road school during the 2008-09 academic year. Six students, who are alleged to have bullied the teenager at South Hadley High School, have been criminally charged in connection with her death and are due to go on trial in Massachusetts next month.

American magazine Slate published allegations that Phoebe bullied a fellow student while she was attending Villiers. Headlined "Was Phoebe Prince Once a Bully? Did her school in Ireland turn a blind eye to early warnings of her troubles?" the article claims she bullied a girl of Pakistani origin, who was also attending Villiers. Her alleged bullying is purported to have been of both a sexual and racist nature.

It is believed details of the allegations originated from private investigators who have been working in Limerick for several months on behalf of lawyers representing the six students.

The issue of relevance will have to be argued before the trial judge but there are a lot of people who believe that this is not about the court case per se, but it is about influencing the court case. There may be a plea agreement or the Prince family may just decide that this isn't worth it and ask the prosecutors to seek something short of a trial.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/Limerick-school-principal-responds-to.6484859.jp

Next month is going to be a fiasco.

Teen in Phoebe Prince case faces DUI charge

A teen charged with hounding South Hadley freshman Phoebe Prince to take her own life has been busted for drunken driving, police said, the second of six accused students to face that charge.

Ashley M. Longe - the girl who prosecutors say called Prince an “Irish whoreâ€￾ - was arrested by South Hadley police Aug. 31 and charged with driving while under the influence of alcohol, Lt. Steve Parentela said.

Longe, 17, was nabbed behind the wheel by cops at 1 a.m., Parentela said. She was also charged with being in possession of alcohol while under 21 years of age and operating a motor vehicle in violation of restrictions.

She was arraigned in Eastern Hampshire District Court Sept. 1, where she pleaded not guilty, The Springfield Republican reported.

Austin Renaud, charged with statutory rape in the Prince case, was charged with operating under the influence in April after being arrested in Holyoke.

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view/20100909teen_in_phoebe_prince_case_faces_dui_charge/

The police report filed in connection with the arrest alleges that Longe drove her car into a parked car.

The report also states that Longe was transporting alcoholic beverages in her car at the time of the accident and that she was operating under the influence of alcohol and in violation of a license restriction.

The report states that the result of a breath test administered to Longe showed a blood alcohol level of .07.

Innocent pleas were entered when she was arraigned Aug. 31 in Eastern Hampshire District Court on these charges and was released on her own recognizance, pending the Nov. 15 hearing.

As conditions of Longe's release, Judge John M. Payne Jr. ordered that she not drive; remain drug and alcohol free and submit to random testing; reside with her mother at 66 Lincoln St.; have a curfew between 9 p.m. and 8 a.m. every night; make efforts to obtain employment; and report to a probation officer.

http://www.masslive.com/springfield/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-30/12840185117790.xml&coll=1

Wanna bet the release conditions will be too hard for her to follow? Or...too hard for her parents to enforce?

I didn't read that article, but I did find her latest when I found this one in the Boston Globe.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/08/report_phoebe_p.html

Article by Emily Bazelon.

Was Phoebe Prince Once a Bully? http://www.slate.com/id/2263470/

Links to her previous articles. http://www.slate.com/id/2242320/landing/1/

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but it seems a little hinky to me..... the EXACT same thing??? If it is true, how very sad that she treated someone else that way. But I find it hard to swallow that it is nearly identical to what she experienced.:dontknow:

I think what these kids are being charged with are fair. It was her choice to commit suicide, but what they did to her is wrong. They should be held responsible for their actions. Even if she hadn't killed herself, they should have still been charged. The issue of her being suicidal previously should have no relevance to charges of harassment, civil rights violations, or statutory rape.

Phoebe Prince friend Payton Spinney victim of bullying at South Hadley High School, lawyer says

SOUTH HADLEY - The school administration here is under fire again for reportedly failing to serve and protect a vulnerable high school student.

The girl in question, Payton Spinney, was a friend of Phoebe Prince, a South Hadley High School freshman who took her life last year after suffering what investigators have called a campaign of bullying by some fellow students. Six of Prince’s former classmates face felony charges in connection with her treatment.

Since Prince’s death, critics have charged that school officials failed to heed the warning signs leading up to Prince’s suicide or simply looked the other way. Although an investigation by the Northwestern District Attorney’s Office called into question the actions of some officials, it found nothing that amounted to criminal behavior.

This time it’s Spinney, a 16-year-old sophomore with Asperger’s Syndrome, who has become the measuring stick for the administration’s alleged shortcomings. Because of her developmental disorder, Spinney has problems focusing in class and socializing with other students, according to Worcester attorney Abigail Williams. Williams, who represents Spinney and her mother, Jennifer Kalvinek, said she took on their case after determining that the schools failed to implement an educational plan to suit Spinney’s needs.

A little more than a year after Prince hanged herself, the Spinney story has catapulted the South Hadley school system back into the spotlight. Darby O’Brien, a local resident who has led the charge against school officials, said he decided to make Spinney’s case public after it was brought to his attention by a student advocate employed by the state. Kalvinek has since spoken to the media, including The Boston Globe, about her daughter’s situation. She could not be reached for comment Monday, however.

According to O’Brien, Spinney entered South Hadley High School two years ago after she and her mother moved to town from Ware. The family, which had fled a bad domestic situation, lives in a South Hadley shelter. Although Spinney had been an A student in Ware, her academic life rapidly deteriorated at South Hadley High School, O’Brien said.

Both O’Brien and Williams declined to name the advocate who contacted O’Brien about the case, saying her job could be at risk.

Like Prince, Spinney has been the target of bullies at South Hadley High School, enduring taunts and having food tossed at her, according to Williams. The harsh treatment even extends to adults, she said.

She said a survey given to all 10th-grade students by a private company indicated that Spinney was at some risk. She said the administration was lax in dealing with the situation.

Last Friday, the bullying came to a head when Spinney, in tears, threatened to punch one of her tormentors in the face, according to Williams. For that, she was called into the principal’s office and told she would be sent home. Although the school telephoned her mother to pick her up, Spinney decided to walk home. Kalvinek found her daughter walking the streets close to the place where Prince made her final walk home from the high school last year. Spinney cannot return to school until she and her mother meet with Smith, Williams said.

http://www.masslive.com/news/index....pinney_bullying_south_hadley_high_school.html

Last Friday, the bullying came to a head when Spinney, in tears, threatened to punch one of her tormentors in the face, according to Williams. For that, she was called into the principal’s office and told she would be sent home.

She didn't even have the satisfaction of actually doing what she threatened, and she's the one in trouble? One'd hope they'd learned something from the last bullying case they had, but clearly not. :stupido3:

No one gets cyber bullied to death. YOU choose to read text messages. YOU choose to check your FB page, or your e-mail, or whathaveyou. Of course that doesn't make it right, and it's hard to turn a blind eye, but cyber bullying isn't like the kid being forced into the corner in the lunch room. The cyber bully victim has the option of avoiding the internet altogether.

I seem to remember the cyber being only part of the bullying. Didn't they taunt her at school, and throw soda cans at her, physically threaten her, etc?

The defendants in the Phoebe Prince bullying tragedy at South Hadley have accepted a plea deal. The little darlings will face the awful punishment of ONE year of probation and a whole 100 hours of community service. Well, that's just dandy! After all, all they did was make this troubled, depressed girl the target of vicious bullying and harassment that probably contributed to her decision to end her young life. Little bastards got away with it. http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/05/us/05bully.html?_r=1

South Hadley is again in trouble for not intervening in yet another bullying case. This one involves a young girl with Asperger's Syndrome, a mild form of autism.

I skipped through a good many of the earlier 21 pages in this thread and just read an occasional post. I don't want to get into whose fault it is that Phoebe Prince killed herself. She's dead. End of her part of the story.

What I think is a shame is the way the school chose to handle what amounted to escalating torture. Granted, Phoebe killed herself. No one murdered her, and yes, I believe there was more going on than the bullying, which, in itself, went (as was said in an article earlier) "beyond the normal" bullying.

While some kids can just throw things off and let stuff go like water running off a duck's back, Phoebe obviously couldn't do that. She was constantly harassed, bullied, tortured and mistreated. Constantly. They didn't do it for a couple of days and quit. They didn't do it once and quit. It went on and on, escalating as time passed to something worse. Maybe Phoebe was more fragile than a "normal" kid would be. Maybe she felt that, after all she and her parents tried to do to stop it, suicide was her only way out.

It's just a shame that a young life was ended, and over what amounts to stupidity. Kids can be cruel sometimes, and I think sometimes the pack mentality takes over. One does it, then another joins in and another and so on, and it becomes something big and ugly. I think those kids felt "privileged" and "entitled," and felt justified in what they did. When you're a teenager and your boyfriend dumps you for another girl, that is major devastation. When you're a guy and trying to get back into your girl friend's good graces, you'd do anything to "prove" your loyalty to her, including tormenting one of her "enemies." If you happen to be the boy friend who dumped the girl, then you're going to have to try twice as hard to prove yourself worthy to get her back.

I'm sure Phoebe had other issues in her life, and the time came when she'd taken all she could take, so she killed herself. Not all kids would, but Phoebe did.

And one final thing..... Emily Bazelon needs her ass kicked. She is up for an award for the article she wrote about this whole mess, completely biased against Phoebe and basically defending what these spoiled brats did, and trivializing. I hope Atlantic Media Company, who gives the Michael Kelly Award for Journalism has better sense than to actually give this woman this award. She actually went digging for information in Phoebe's records. That was wrong. The girl is dead. All of that stuff should not be put out for the world to see. It was private and confidential info that Bazelon had no right to.

Basically, no, Phoebe should not have killed herself over bullying. My point is, I guess, that she should not have HAD to kill herself. If the bullying had been handled properly, it might not have gone this far.

Sorry I've written a book here. I was never bullied, thank goodness, but this case just strikes me as terrible and so tragic.

Last edited:
Suck it up Pheobe lovers. The bullies got a slap on the wrist and Pheobe is dead because she couldn't handle life.
END OF STORY!

Three more teenagers admitted Thursday that they took part in bullying a 15-year-old schoolmate who subsequently committed suicide, a Massachusetts prosecutor said. But, as was the case the day before with two other teens involved in the hazing of Phoebe Prince, the more serious charges were dismissed and none of them will serve jail time.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/05/massachusetts.bullying.trial/index.html

Dateline was all about Pheobe tonight and if you can I recommend watching it online
Im all sucky weepy today anyways
but her father is the reason those kids didnt go to jail
They were headed there and her parents didnt want that
He wants to help those kids in the healing process they are feeling right now coming to terms with what they did
Extremely incredible parents that she had

Latest posts

Back