• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/258862347-story
Frightening moments at Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport as a Delta spokesperson said a passenger was bitten by an emotional support dog aboard a Delta flight.
[....]
“The gentleman’s face was completely bloody, blood in his eyes, cheeks, nose, his mouth, his shirt was covered in blood,” said Maddox-Peoples.

Maddox-Peoples said the dog was possibly a lab mix weighing about 50 pounds. She also said the victim was sitting by the window and the dog's owner was in the middle seat with his dog. Another passenger said he saw the dog sitting in his owner's lap.

Maddox-Peoples said Delta’s flight crew immediately got help and paramedics walked the man off the plane. She said the man was noticeably shaken up.
[....]
The customer who was bitten was removed from the flight to receive medical attention. Local law enforcement cleared the dog, and the dog and its owner were re-accommodated on a later flight; the dog will fly in a kennel."

Another passenger said that the dog's owner was described by the flight crew as a "combat veteran" and that the man was cradling the dog in his arms in the gate area and that the crew saw him weeping, repeatedly saying, "I know they're going to put him down."

The condition of the man who was injured was not immediately known.

if you have a dog that size on you should have to buy all three seats so noone is next to you

Or a
if you have a dog that size on you should have to buy all three seats so noone is next to you
Or at least buy a window seat for the dog, and you sit in the middle.
I have only seen real service dogs for the blind on planes. They sat at the owners feet by the bulkhead seats where there was more of foot room.
This dog should have had a muzzle at the very least. You can't trust a crowd with a dog. Then you have tight quarters. Maybe that passenger got in the dog's face trying to be friends. People are so dumb like that.
A lot of mistakes all around on this one. Starting with not muzzling the dog, and holding him on the lap.

was possibly a lab mix weighing about 50 pounds.

That's just code for pitbull. Pitbulls should not be service dogs, ever. I hope that if this poor man survives, he sues everyone involved for all they have. This is absolutely ridiculous.

He's fine unless he contracts a fatal infection or something. He was able to get off the plane under his own power and not carted off.

Emotional support animals are required to be trained! This dog WAS NOT an emotional support animal. Also, why was the dog in the middle seat? You have them at your feet. They even sit you in special rows when you have an emotional support or service animal.

Emotional support animals are required to be trained! This dog WAS NOT an emotional support animal. Also, why was the dog in the middle seat? You have them at your feet. They even sit you in special rows when you have an emotional support or service animal.
I worked in an airport for a bit at a restaurant and let me tell you. You can tell the dogs that are phony service animals. You can buy that shit on the internet. Real service animals are going to act exactly as you said.

This is exactly what i was trying to explain to you in another thread weeks or months ago.

While they should be trained, there is no checks and balances and you are allowed to train your own. We all know not everyone can train a dog.

All anyone has to do is go on line and pay a fee to get an official looking id and a certificate and buy or make a vest that says service dog.

Trust me, i know way more about this subject than i ever wanted to know.

This is exactly what i was trying to explain to you in another thread weeks or months ago.

While they should be trained, there is no checks and balances and you are allowed to train your own. We all know not everyone can train a dog.

All anyone has to do is go on line and pay a fee to get an official looking id and a certificate and buy or make a vest that says service dog.

Trust me, i know way more about this subject than i ever wanted to know.
But that's the thing, even if you train them on your own, they must be able to pass certain tests. One of them is temperament. Even emotional support animals need to be trained in certain ways, even if the owner does it. Also, this guy should have known he was placed in the wrong row if he had to have his dog on his lap, and the airline needs better training if they placed him there. The guy that was attacked may have just been a nervous flyer, and the dog reacted to that and his emotional owner. That's why not every dog can be an emotional support animal.

But there's really no way anyone other than the owner can know how they were or were not trained since you're only allowed to ask about 3 questions and only 3. You are not allowed to challenge them even if you know they are lying about it.

Been there, done that, working in a retail environment, we are not supposed to allow animals into a store that sells food per the local health ordinances but you can't keep them out per the disability laws. You can't prove they aren't and they don't have to prove they are support animals.

This needs to be changed since everybody and their brother is taking advantage of the loopholes. Someone with a genuine disability that needs a trained animal should have certification, legal certification, and should be able to show it if asked. And fine the shit out of pretenders.

But there's really no way anyone other than the owner can know how they were or were not trained since you're only allowed to ask about 3 questions and only 3. You are not allowed to challenge them even if you know they are lying about it.

An organization I belong to, that hosts frequent events that have groups of 50+ people, including children, has (imho) had a problem with "fake" service animals for years. There is a small subset who regularly bring their ill tempered and aggressive large dogs to events where regular dogs are not allowed, and insist they be admitted because they are "service" dogs, however, none of these people have an actual physical disability, so these are in reality some variant of emotional support dogs. I doubt they are certified by any legitimate organization, because they growl and lunge at people all the time who are merely walking by. The organization is too frightened and politically correct to say "no, you can't bring your anti-social, fake support dog to an event". Jerks like these folks abuse the whole support dog idea, and make it tougher for legit support dogs to be tolerated, not to mention endangering the innocent people around them with their out of control animals, and they get away with it by playing the "speshul sneuflake" card.

But that's the thing, even if you train them on your own, they must be able to pass certain tests. One of them is temperament. Even emotional support animals need to be trained in certain ways, even if the owner does it. Also, this guy should have known he was placed in the wrong row if he had to have his dog on his lap, and the airline needs better training if they placed him there. The guy that was attacked may have just been a nervous flyer, and the dog reacted to that and his emotional owner. That's why not every dog can be an emotional support animal.
There is no test.
[doublepost=1496803449,1496802987][/doublepost]https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-public-access-s.html

There is no test ever.

You go on the internet to anyone of the sites that are not gov. They are people that dont k ow anything about anything. They just own a printer and a website.

You answer the questions and pay a FEE $/$/$/$/$ then in a few days you get an official LOOKING ID card.

Its a scam.

It is a crack in the system that this is allowed to be like this.

Its a scam. Anyone can register any animal as a support animal.

Its a scam.

My apartment building is pet free unless it's a genuinely needed therapy animal or emotional support animal, all it takes to get an emotional support animal in is for their doctor to write a note saying the animal helps them in whatever way, that's all.

I personally don't a have a problem with it. I'm just showing you how easy it is to get one. No training, nothing except a doctor's note and a visit to the local puppy/kitty mill for a cute little guy with no training whatsoever.

But there's really no way anyone other than the owner can know how tasadsdhey were or were not trained since you're only allowed to ask about 3 questions and only 3. You are not allowed to challenge them even if you know they are lying about it.

Been there, done that, working in a retail environment, we are not supposed to allow animals into a store that sells food per the local health ordinances but you can't keep them out per the disability laws. You can't prove they aren't and they don't have to prove they are support animals.

This needs to be changed since everybody and their brother is taking advantage of the loopholes. Someone with a genuine disability that needs a trained animal should have certification, legal certification, and should be able to show it if asked. And fine the shit out of pretenders.
There is no test.
[doublepost=1496803449,1496802987][/doublepost]https://www.nsarco.com/emotional-support-public-access-s.html

There is no test ever.

You go on the internet to anyone of the sites that are not gov. They are people that dont k ow anything about anything. They just own a printer and a website.

You answer the questions and pay a FEE $/$/$/$/$ then in a few days you get an official LOOKING ID card.

Its a scam.

It is a crack in the system that this is allowed to be like this.

Its a scam. Anyone can register any animal as a support animal.

Its a scam.
There is though. Not in the way of a test you are thinking, but there are things that are required. Yeah, in most industries you aren't allowed to ask for proof, and any ID or certificate isn't real. I'm telling you, this dog wasn't one, especially as it seems the dog was stressing the guy out more than anything.

There is though. Not in the way of a test you are thinking, but there are things that are required. Yeah, in most industries you aren't allowed to ask for proof, and any ID or certificate isn't real. I'm telling you, this dog wasn't one, especially as it seems the dog was stressing the guy out more than anything.
Where is this test you say there is.
[doublepost=1496812199,1496812122][/doublepost]@Nell

Did your cat have a test to be your support pet?
[doublepost=1496812348][/doublepost]Listen to me when i say this...

THERE IS NO TEST.

I was an animal control officer for 22 years in southern cali.
There is no test.

They need to pass a certain temperament, be trained not to go to the bathroom in stores and such, be able to handle crowds, etc. Places like hospitals and such will ask you to prove that before allowing them. If you just have the animal at home that's one thing, I'm talking about animals that go out in public with their owners. Most counties also have you prove this when you register your animals for the first time.
[doublepost=1496812561][/doublepost]And I'm telling you, I train these animals and own some. I also own therapy dogs. I know what you have to do to be legit, and I know how to fake it. Otherwise then there wouldn't be such a thing as a "fake" support animal, but there is. If the support animal is not behaving appropriately, then steps can be taken to get proof and have the animal removed. If this guy had not agreed to kennel his dog, he'd have had to prove it was an emotional support dog.

[doublepost=1496812348][/doublepost]Listen to me when i say this...

THERE IS NO TEST.

I was an animal control officer for 22 years in southern cali.
There is no test.

Nope. A doctors note that he has anxiety, his father just died, and $80.

They need to pass a certain temperament, be trained not to go to the bathroom in stores and such, be able to handle crowds, etc. Places like hospitals and such will ask you to prove that before allowing them. If you just have the animal at home that's one thing, I'm talking about animals that go out in public with their owners. Most counties also have you prove this when you register your animals for the first time.
[doublepost=1496812561][/doublepost]And I'm telling you, I train these animals and own some. I also own therapy dogs. I know what you have to do to be legit, and I know how to fake it. Otherwise then there wouldn't be such a thing as a "fake" support animal, but there is. If the support animal is not behaving appropriately, then steps can be taken to get proof and have the animal removed. If this guy had not agreed to kennel his dog, he'd have had to prove it was an emotional support dog.
Where is this test?
You? A private individual just saying you are qualified to vouch for this animal? Btw that is not a requirement to pay someone to vouch fir your animal. So in essence you are riding the money train.
There is no test.

Where is this test?
You? A private individual just saying you are qualified to vouch for this animal? Btw that is not a requirement to pay someone to vouch fir your animal. So in essence you are riding the money train.
There is no test.
Are you even reading what I'm saying? And no I am not the test. I am dog trainer, and when people come to me not just to have Fido trained in general, but because they need a support animal, I have to know what they need to be able to do. It isn't always the same as my ordinary training. Money train? Hardly. They could train the dogs themselves, but most people don't want to. That goes for any dog. But sure, this is totally how a service/emotional support animal behaves, so why should this guy agree to a kennel? I mean, chewing people's faces off and pooping in a store are totally fine. Despite it NOT being fine and things like that meaning you have to prove all of what I just said. As an animal control officer, you really should know what a behavior test is.

Are you even reading what I'm saying? And no I am not the test. I am dog trainer, and when people come to me not just to have Fido trained in general, but because they need a support animal, I have to know what they need to be able to do. It isn't always the same as my ordinary training. Money train? Hardly. They could train the dogs themselves, but most people don't want to. That goes for any dog. But sure, this is totally how a service/emotional support animal behaves, so why should this guy agree to a kennel? I mean, chewing people's faces off and pooping in a store are totally fine. Despite it NOT being fine and things like that meaning you have to prove all of what I just said. As an animal control officer, you really should know what a behavior test is.
I know ecactly what s behavior test is.

its not required to buy your dog (or any type of animsl) an ID.

There is not test requirement there is no where to prove your animal is worthy of being out in public.

There is no test.

You said
They need to pass a certain temperament, be trained not to go to the bathroom in stores and such, be able to handle crowds, etc. Places like hospitals and such will ask you to prove that before allowing them.
There is no test. Anyone can pay the fee to get an ID that states their dog is a service dog.
There is no test.
Not just dogs. Any kind of animal.

Last edited:
They need to start cracking down on emotional support animals. They aren't covered by the same laws that service animals are covered under. You can ask for documentation for emotional support animals. They aren't trained and can be any type of animal. Literally anyone could get their pet registered as an emotional support animal and the abuse of that is rampant and detracts from those who really do benefit from having support animals.

What most people don't realize is that emotional support animals aren't allowed in restaurants etc while service animals are. Some places allow them but there is no law that states they must be allowed. You can deny a support animal entry to a facility.

All airliners have policies in place for service and support animals. Service animals have a different set then support. Service animals must be allowed to fly with their owners..support animals can be allowed to fly with their owners..given the animals meet qualifications and aren't disturbing other passengers. I'd say being stuck next to a dude with a 50lb dog on his lap would be a disruption. Who wants to spend hours stuck in a plane with a dogs face in your face. Hours of bad doggy breath, panting, whining and drooling in seats that are already cramped.

To the pit bull lovers who gave me crap, bite me :whistle:

Bronwen Jackson says:
June 5, 2017 at 2:14 pm

I was on the flight two rows ahead of the dog. That dog was not a lab mix – it looked like a pit mix to be honest. No one provoked the dog. I think the dog was feeling the nervous energy of his owner (who had ptsd and didn’t like crowds) and the men seated next to him who weee nervous about the size of the dog. It was a horrible experience for everyone involved. The dog is not to blame, he should not have been put in that situation. He was on his owners lap in very tight quarters in a tense situation.

https://petrescuereport.com/2017/emotional-support-dog-bites-passenger-delta-flight/

Service dog or not... He is still a animal!
I don't care if they are the nicest animal on the planet... They are animals... Unpredictable
Maybe the dog felt threatened by the victim. I think the owner was completely irresponsible to bring his dog on the flight. He should of been like everyone else and had his dog fly like the rest of the other animals

My chihuahua was trained as a therapy dog for my sister. He has special tags and stuff. He's just our pet now though. He is extremely obedient and smart. And likes to visit with old people. The only emotional therapy I need from him is being happy to see me after I come home from work.

He has official documentation and even I think it's a scam. I'd rather take a Valium than be responsible for a non human 24/7 in everything I'm doing, seems so stressful.

Our local grocery store has a sign prohibiting emotional therapy animals in the store." No animals, except service animals allowed, emotional support animals are not service animals and are prohibited. "

I get totally grossed out when I see people with dogs in their shopping carts in the grocery store.

Dogs are allowed at work (office bldg) and I saw a pit bull in the bathroom with a service jacket on. I noped right out of there and almost wet my pants. Large dogs scare the shit out if me. I was so pissed, I complained, they said they can't do anything if its a service animal. Ruined my day. It seems so selfish and self entitled of the people who think that's okay.

I work for two town authorities in New York, both in public libraries. We do not allow animals, however if someone does bring one in, the ONLY question we are allowed to ask is "Is that a service animal?". We are not allowed to ask what it's for, we are not allowed to ask for papers and the animal doesn't even have to be wearing a harness or tags which identify it as a service dog (though you can buy a very legit looking service dog vest on Amazon for $14). We can't ask them to leave unless the animal causes a disturbance like barking or pooping... or attacking someone.

@Caligirl90 I think you're mixing up "Service Animals" and "Emotional Support Animals". They have VERY different qualifications.

A service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Tasks performed can include, among other things, pulling a wheelchair, retrieving dropped items, alerting a person to a sound, reminding a person to take medication, or pressing an elevator button.

Emotional support animals, comfort animals, and therapy dogs are not service animals under Title II and Title III of the ADA. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not considered service animals either. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the individual’s disability. It does not matter if a person has a note from a doctor that states that the person has a disability and needs to have the animal for emotional support. A doctor’s letter does not turn an animal into a service animal.

https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet

Back