1. If you tried signing up and were receiving the following message: "This action is available via POST only. Please press the back button and try again." Please retry as this was being caused by an outdated plugin.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. You must be logged in to see or use the chatbox
    Dismiss Notice

Pan's Labyrinth

Discussion in 'Crime Screen Theater' started by PsychoKitty, Jan 6, 2018.

1. PsychoKitty

PsychoKitty Queen Bitch From Hell Bold Member!

Credit:
    $49,736.25
    I really love Guillermo del Toro's sweeping style, always dark, ethereal combined with gritty reality, voluptuously beautiful, gothic scenes compete with incredible relics, objects, statuary and artwork that can look ancient to help set the mood. This is the tale set during a time that del Toro truly shines in unwinding elaborate stories: the Spanish Civil War. A time of fascist dictator Franco and his sadistic military heads that lived like kings while treating the peasantry like abused cattle. This tale starts out with a little girl whose mother had hooked up with a sadistic military captain after her father, a simple tailor, has died. Mom is pregnant with the captains child and married to him and together with her daughter is traveling to a mountain keep command station of her husbands maintained to route out the rebels still trying to fight. They stop the motorcade by the by the roadside on the way to the keep as mom is violently ill and already reprimanding the little girl, demanding her call the guy father when they meet as well as being too fanciful. While stopped the girl wanders off and finds an ancient monument statue that the chunk of rock she had already picked up fits into the broken part which was the eye of the representation of some deity. when she puts it rock in it's spot a beautiful praying mantis flied out of the stone pieces mouth and the little girl is delighted she has seen a fairy. It goes on to mix stark reality and brutality with the girls visions and dreams leaving it to the watcher to decide what is real and not.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Show The Love Show The Love x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  2. JackBurton

JackBurton Well-Known Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $50,616.61
    One of the greatest movies of all time. Del Toro is amazing.

SHape of Water didnt come to any theaters near me, which is infuriating. Cant wait to see it. Appears to be a return to his brilliant early Pans Labrynth and Devils Backbone(his 2nd best) form.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PsychoKitty

PsychoKitty Queen Bitch From Hell Bold Member!

Credit:
    $49,736.25
    it was a debate to whether to put Devils Backbone or this up first as they are two of my favorites, my friend says she cant wait for me to see Water

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jenthgr8

jenthgr8 Wubba lubba dub dub Bold Member!

Credit:
    $2,579.66
    Pan's Labyrinth was a revelation to me. So beautiful and intricate. Del Toro is a god.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Turd Fergusen

Turd Fergusen Active Member

Credit:
    $9,868.73
    I was personally not a fan.

6. JackBurton

JackBurton Well-Known Member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $50,616.61
    Um, what? This doesn't make sense.

You might as well say, "I personally am not a fan of amazing, brilliant, incredible things that bring joy and awe and glory to my life".

7. SpQa

SpQa Virile member Bold Member!

Credit:
    $10,330.46
    meh... the bad guy is so bad even when he is staring at the mirror while shaving...