• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

RaVen Blackehart

Trusted Member
Police in western Pennsylvania say an 11-year-old boy has been charged in the death of a pregnant woman who was found shot in a bedroom of her farmhouse.

Police say the boy is charged with criminal homicide and criminal homicide of an unborn child in the killing of 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk. The victim was 8 months pregnant.

Lawrence County police issued a statement saying the boy had been arraigned and sent to the county Jail.

They couldn't immediately say Saturday whether the boy and the woman were related.
continued

http://www.buffalonews.com/260/story/585964.html

OMG...and her 5-year-old daughter found her. Terrible.

Keep us updated on this one Raven....

Her 5 year old daughter found her too. Wonderful. This is so disturbing to me. Why are our children turning into monsters?

jg175x.jpg

2s1vpmb.jpg

A 26-year-old woman, due to give birth in two weeks, was shot and killed in a farmhouse on a quiet Lawrence County road.

Kenzie Houk, a mother of two who was to deliver a boy, was pronounced dead at the scene Friday afternoon. The unborn baby also died, according to investigators.

State police from Lawrence and Butler counties revealed sparse details Friday, but said the case is being treated as a homicide and people were being questioned, state police Lt. Steve Ignatz said. Police were seeking information about any unusual activities or vehicles in the area of 1146 Wampum-New Galilee Road in New Beaver Thursday night or Friday morning.

Houk’s death was discovered around 9:30 a.m. Friday after a 4-year-old girl alerted workers clearing firewood at the property.

Steve Cable, owner of Steve Cable’s Tree Service in Brighton Township, said a stroke of luck brought him and his crew back to the property Friday. They had not finished clearing firewood the night before and had to make an unscheduled trip back to the cattle farm.

“It’s a good thing, I feel,â€￾ he said.

The group returned around 9 a.m. Friday and worked until the girl, clothed in her pajamas, came to the front door, crying.

“She said, ‘My mommy’s dead,’ and then she said she wanted her brother and sister,â€￾ Cable said.

The 4-year-old, Houk’s younger daughter, told Cable her mother was in her bed and no one else was in the house. Also living with Houk at the property were her 8-year-old daughter, Houk’s boyfriend, Chris Brown, and Brown’s 11-year-old son, according to her family members.

Cable, who said he had seen nothing unusual at the home Friday, called for help while the child stayed at the door, wrapped in a blanket.

Later, a police officer or paramedic told Cable that Houk had been shot to death.

Police called Brown at work and Brown alerted Houk’s parents, Cable said. The older children were in school.

“I’m devastated by this,â€￾ said Jack Houk of Shenango Township. “What kind of person could do something like this to a pregnant woman?â€￾

Jack Houk said he was called to the house by 11:30 a.m. and was left to wait for details at the bottom of the driveway where many other family members and friends had gathered.

Most of what he learned, he said, he got through television reports.

Around 5:30 p.m., a deputy coroner spoke with Jack Houk. He declined to reveal the details of that conversation.

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/02/20/news/top_stories/doc499f72f020b3d559475441.txt

Her 5 year old daughter found her too. Wonderful. This is so disturbing to me. Why are our children turning into monsters?

I have some ideas.

1. With most families needing both parents to work, and some families needing both parents to work two jobs, there is not enough time for parents to spend with their kids to raise them to become normal, kind, responsible adults.

2. Easy access to firearms. Parents who own guns need to realize that they aren't toys, and they aren't something that's just kept lying around. Guns should either be securely locked away or the responsible gun owner should have one holstered, safety on, in their physical possession.

3. Harsh and punitive punishments which teach that anger is solved through violence, and that hurting others is expected and normal.

WAMPUM, Pa. — An 11-year-old boy has been charged in the death of a pregnant woman who was found shot in a bedroom of her western Pennsylvania farmhouse, police said Saturday.

A statement from state police said the boy was charged with criminal homicide and criminal homicide of an unborn child in the killing of 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk. The victim was 8 months pregnant.

The statement said the boy had been arraigned in District Court and placed in the Lawrence County jail.

Officers couldn't immediately say Saturday whether the boy and the woman were related and wouldn't give any other details.

Police said Houk's 5-year-old daughter found her mother's body Friday morning in a bedroom of their home in a wooded area in the community of Wampum.

The home, located at the end of a half-mile-long driveway along a road scattered with abandoned and burned-out trailers, was cordoned off with yellow police tape and a Pennsylvania State Police vehicle was parked out front early Saturday afternoon. Next to the house was farm equipment and a barn filled with hay.

A neighbor, Cameron Tucker, said Houk was engaged and had been renting the house for no more than a year. Tucker said he had never met Houk's fiance, but that both of them had children.

"She was very protective of her kids," he said, adding that she seemed very excited about her pregnancy.

Tucker's wife sometimes drove Houk's daughter to the bus stop because she went to preschool with the Tuckers' 5-year-old.

WPXI-TV identified the dead woman's father as Jack Houk. There was no immediate response Saturday to a call by The Associated Press seeking comment from a Jack Houk of New Castle, a town next to Wampum.

A preliminary hearing is set for Thursday.

The rural community is about 35 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

___
http://www.ajc.com/news/content/sha...oman_Killed.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

So, is the eleven-year-old suspect the boyfriend's son, or is it a coincidence that he is
also eleven years old?

They're not likely to tell us, are they?

:stupido3:

That's my question too. Who is the 11 yr old and is this his boy? The first report said his two children were in school.
So sad.

He could have shot her and then gone to school, trying to make himself an alibi, - or perhaps because he didn't know what else to do......

Or it really might be a different eleven-year-old altogether.

I read about this one on CNN.com this morning. I had just finished telling my husband that young/preteen children rarely kill, and it is even rarer that they use firearms to do so. I had been talking about the 8 year old who recently shot and killed his father and a boarder.

Well, shit. Nonetheless, this type of crime is still very unusual. Although, given where the family lives, I can't imagine that guns would be hard to come by for the boy. When we lived in the country, there was a shotgun by the back door at all times, loaded and ready to fire. The neighbors had been cross breeding wolves and German Shepherds and often turned the crazy ones out 'to die'. They were so goddamned mean, they'd kill anything they saw.

Despite the anti-gun rhetoric that abounds in the US, us country folk have them, teach our children to use them, and keep guns handy. Who the HELL would think their 11 year old would pick one up to kill somebody? If you believe that you should lock your guns up because your child, (who is fully aware of gun safety rules and who would no more 'play' with a gun than he would piss off the front porch), might kill someone with them, then you've got a bigger problem than gun safety.

(Oh, and my kids don't piss off of EITHER porch. They know better!)

I'm terribly sorry for this woman's family and especially for the little girl who had to find her dead mommy. But I know this situation is going to get turned into a fucking Gun Control debate before it's all over. It's not about gun control. This kid would have used an axe if that's all that was available.

Last edited:
I'm terribly sorry for this woman's family and especially for the little girl who had to find her dead mommy. But I know this situation is going to get turned into a fucking Gun Control debate before it's all over. It's not about gun control. This kid would have used an axe if that's all that was available.

You are so right. If someone wants to kill, they'll find anything to help with the deed.

Knives, Guns, Tire Irons, Chloroform, Antifreeze, etc.. etc.. don't kill people, People kill people.

Even with this report, pre-teens rarely kill and when they do, either they're evil or there are underlying factors. Have to see more on this.

I saw this one the local news tonight. Jordan Brown was her future step-son, her boyfriends son. What was reported here is he apparently shot Ms Houk and went off to school as if nothing happened. I really do not understand how an 11 year old kid can commit a murder like this, the go off to school as he did. Maybe he had some real resentment/jealousy towards the new baby..or he really hated her? I don't know..but murder? What do you do to a kid that age? Will this be a case where he goes to juvie til he's 21 then set free? Just how do you punish this particular crime?

WAMPUM, Pa. – Fifth-grader Jordan Brown boarded the bus and headed to school like he does most other mornings in this rural western Pennsylvania community.

But Friday was no typical morning. Before he left his rented farmhouse, authorities say, the 11-year-old fatally shot his father's pregnant fiancee in the back of the head as she lay in bed. He then put his youth model 20-gauge shotgun back in his room and went out to catch his bus, police say.

Brown was charged Saturday as an adult in the death of 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk, who was eight months pregnant, Lawrence County District Attorney John Bongivengo said. Houk's fetus died within minutes due to a lack of oxygen, Lawrence County Coroner Russell Noga said.

The death and charges against Brown caught family and friends by surprise and left Wampum, about 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, to ponder what would possess a boy to allegedly shoot someone.

Houk's family and friends, who gathered at her parents' house Saturday night, told The Associated Press that there had been past problems with the boy.
"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner said. "There was an issue with jealousy."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_killed

Kenzie Houk's private Myspace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=230584130

Last edited:
But Friday was no typical morning. Before he left his rented farmhouse, authorities say, the 11-year-old fatally shot his father's pregnant fiancee in the back of the head as she lay in bed. He then put his youth model 20-gauge shotgun back in his room and went out to catch his bus, police say.

Holyjeebusfuckinchrist! That is cold....

Houk's family and friends, who gathered at her parents' house Saturday night, told The Associated Press that there had been past problems with the boy.
"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner said
so they knew this and didn'nt do anything about it? plus he still was allowed to keep his gun in his room I think the people that knew this are just as guilty they may have be able to take steps to prevent this from happeningWTF?

Murder victim Kenzie Marie Houk of New Beaver Borough, Lawrence County, is shown in this undated photo
doc49a0c730824a7403203039.jpg

Kenzie was only 2 weeks away from her due date. There pretty solid on the 11 year old being the one who did it.

NEW CASTLE — When state police troopers asked Chris Brown if he recognized a youth-model .20-gauge shotgun, he not only recognized it, he said his son used it to win a turkey shoot on Valentine’s Day, according to a police report.

Police believe the shotgun used to win that turkey shoot was the same one used to kill 26-year-old Kenzie M. Houk and her unborn son, according to a criminal complaint. Houk was Chris Brown’s live-in girlfriend. The couple, his son and her two daughters lived in a rented farmhouse at 1146 Wampum-New Galilee Road, New Beaver. The couple’s baby was due in about two weeks.

Jordan Anthony Brown, Chris Brown’s 11-year-old son, has been charged in Houk’s killing. He was charged as an adult with criminal homicide and criminal homicide of an unborn child. He is in the Lawrence County Jail.

According to a criminal complaint, Houk was shot around 8 a.m. Friday. The shotgun was found in Jordan Brown’s bedroom, according to the complaint.

It was Houk’s 7-year-old daughter, whom police did not identify, who offered the most damning information about Jordan Brown.

In the criminal complaint, police reported:

•The girl told investigators that Jordan Brown brought the shotgun downstairs from his bedroom Friday morning and then took it back upstairs.

•She said she saw him putting on his socks, and she had started to put on her shoes when she heard a “big boom.â€￾

•She did not see Jordan Brown shoot Houk, and when the girl questioned Jordan Brown about the source of the sound, he wouldn’t tell her.

•She said she recognizes the sound of a gun because Chris Brown and Jordan Brown sometimes shoot in the backyard.

•She also said that just a few minutes prior to hearing the sound, she heard her mother calling for them to hurry or they would miss the bus to school. Her 4-year-old sister, whom police also did not identify, was asleep in another bedroom.

•The woman was shot once in the back of the head while on her side in her bed, an autopsy revealed. The fetus died of a lack of oxygen.

•Wadding (the tubing used to contain pellets in a shotgun shell) was removed from Houk’s body, and it matched the shotgun taken from the boy’s bedroom

http://www.timesonline.com/articles/2009/02/22/news/doc49a0c730824a7403203039.txt
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WAMPUM, Pa. But Friday was no typical morning. Before he left his rented farmhouse, authorities say, the 11-year-old fatally shot his father's pregnant fiancee in the back of the head as she lay in bed. He then put his youth model 20-gauge shotgun back in his room and went out to catch his bus, police say.

The death and charges against Brown caught family and friends by surprise and left Wampum, about 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh, to ponder what would possess a boy to allegedly shoot someone.

"He actually told my son that he wanted to do that to her," Houk's brother-in-law, Jason Kraner said. "There was an issue with jealousy."

The boy told police there was a black truck on the property that morning — possibly the man who feeds the cows — sending investigators to follow a false lead for about five hours, Bongivengo said. Inconsistencies in Brown's description of the truck led police to re-interview Houk's 7-year-old daughter, who implicated the boy in the killing, Bongivengo said. State troopers came to get the boy at school.

"An 11-year-old kid — what would give him the motive to shoot someone?" Houk's father Jack said. "Maybe he was just jealous of my daughter and the baby and thought he would be overpowered."

Defense attorney Dennis Elisco said he plans to ask Monday for the boy to be released on bail and for the case to moved to juvenile court. Elisco and police said they had no clear motive for the shooting.

The boy's father, Christopher Brown, is "a mess" and had no prior indication his son had a problem with Houk, Elisco said. "He's in a state of actual shock and disbelief," he said.

The shotgun used is designed for children and has a shorter arm and such weapons do not have to be registered, Bongivengo said. Jack Houk, 57, said the boy and his father used to practice shooting behind their farmhouse, and the two enjoyed going hunting together

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090222/ap_on_re_us/pregnant_woman_killed
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I was thinking about this case this morning. I am kind of torn between the boy going to adult court Vs juvie court. If he is tried and sentenced in an adult court, WTF are they going to do with the little bugger??? A prison isn't set up for a 11 year old boy. The jail he is at wants him moved to a juvie center, he doesn't know what to do with him either.

PITTSBURGH — A western Pennsylvania jail warden says he'll ask a judge to move an 11-year-old boy accused of killing his father's pregnant girlfriend to a juvenile detention center.

Lawrence County Warden Charles Adamo said Sunday that his 300-inmate jail cannot offer proper long-term care for Jordan Brown, of Wampum. The boy has been in the county jail some 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh since early Saturday.

Brown is charged as an adult with using his own 20-gauge shotgun to kill 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk while she lay in bed Friday morning.

Prosecutors are not discussing a motive, but experts on blended families say it's not unusual for children to feel anger and fury toward a parent's new mate.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/6275425.html

And even the state prison designed for juveniles charged as adults is geared towards older offenders 14 and up. They wouldn't be able to hold him either.

I dont agree with this child being charged as an adult... he is still a baby pretty much

I do. The kid has been hunting with his dad. He knows that once something is dead it's dead permanently. He mentioned wanting to kill his future step-mom before he did it, so it was premeditated. Then he sneaked up behind and shot her in the back of the head. He was a little coward because he couldn't even face her. He destroyed his own family. He killed his dad's love and killed his new little sibling (2 weeks from birth), which means that he killed his dad's new baby.

I think a few years in jail while undergoing counseling and treatment is exactly what he needs, and I don't think he should be let out until he is proven safe to society.

There is supposed to be a hearing Tomorrow? About waiving him into Juvi court.

Being that is only 11 I see him being in the Juvi system.

I can't see an 11 year old going to prison. Unless they remand him in the Juvi system until he is 18 or 21 and have him finish his sentence in an Adult Prison.

I do. The kid has been hunting with his dad. He knows that once something is dead it's dead permanently. He mentioned wanting to kill his future step-mom before he did it, so it was premeditated. Then he sneaked up behind and shot her in the back of the head. He was a little coward because he couldn't even face her. He destroyed his own family. He killed his dad's love and killed his new little sibling (2 weeks from birth), which means that he killed his dad's new baby.

I think a few years in jail while undergoing counseling and treatment is exactly what he needs, and I don't think he should be let out until he is proven safe to society.

I didnt say i didnt believe he didnt know what he was doing. NOr am i saying he shouldnt be punished but no 11 year old belongs in the adult system in my opinion.

I agree they know dead is dead but I don't think he fully grasped the consquences of it. That things wouldn't go back to the way they were before. That his dad can't view him the same way as before etc. And in PA, he can be locked up until he's 21, which I imagine will be the case here.

If they put him in an adult facility, he would have to be locked up alone 24/7. Otherwise they might as well put a big "Fresh Meat" and a Walmart Roll Back sticker on him.

I don't know how the system works there and I am too tired to look it up, but I would think they would keep him in a juvenile system until he was 18 and then transfer him. Either way, I do not think this kid should get out for a long time.

3_61_022109_brown_320.jpg
WAMPUM, Pa. -- The Lawrence County Jail warden told Channel 11 Sunday night that he wants an 11-year-old boy charged with murder moved out of his jail.

Charles Adamo said his 300-inmate jail cannot offer proper long-term care for Jordan Brown, of Wampum, who has been charged with using his own .20-gauge shotgun to kill 26-year-old Kenzie Marie Houk.

Houk was eight months pregnant with Brown's father's child, and also had two daughters, 7 and 4, who lived in the rural home with the Browns where authorities said she was slain as she lay in bed about 8 a.m. Friday.

The boy then hopped onto a school bus with Houk's oldest daughter, police said. He was picked up from school several hours later after some tree trimmers called 911 when Houk's youngest daughter told them she thought her mother was dead.

The boy has been in the jail some 45 miles northwest of Pittsburgh since early Saturday, Adamo said. He's being held in one of four 10-by-8-foot cells in the jail's booking area, where officials check on him every 15 minutes.

The boy gets the same food as the other inmates but cannot receive visitors, except for his attorney, because doing so would require him to mingle with adult inmates, Adamo said. Even something as simple as letting the boy shower would require locking down an entire cellblock, most of which hold up to 63 inmates, Adamo said.

Brown's cell has a sink, toilet and bunk, and the inside can be seen from a desk where a booking clerk sits, Adamo said.

Adamo told Channel 11, "I think for his safety and for our liability it will probably be safe for him, to be best to have him housed in a juvenile setting."

Brown's attorney, Dennis Elisco, said jail officials can't even find clothes to fit the 4-foot-8 boy.

"They put a shirt on him, he's swimming in it, and his pants are cuffed up about 10 times," Elisco said.

Brown is charged as an adult because Pennsylvania law allows prosecutors to charge children as young as 10 with criminal homicide. Elisco will file motions on Monday asking a judge to move the case to juvenile court and to let the boy's father post bail so he can be freed.

"I don't think anybody wants him there," Elisco said, referring to the county jail.

Elisco said a judge likely won't hear his motions right away. Until then, Elisco hopes to get the fifth-grader's school to send him assignments in jail.

"I want him to be occupied and busy and back, essentially, in school," Elisco said. "I wouldn't say he's in good spirits. He's confused. He looks and acts like a typical 11-year-old."

For now, the boy faces a preliminary hearing on Thursday to determine if he'll stand trial. If a judge agrees the case might belong in juvenile court, a dual-purpose hearing will determine if there's evidence to support the charges, but Elisco will also have to prove the boy can be rehabilitated through a juvenile system that has jurisdiction only until the boy turns 21.

Elisco said the boy has not confessed to the shooting, and he doesn't believe the physical evidence will support the police contention that the boy killed Houk, execution-style, with one shot to the back of her head.

Police and District Attorney John Bongivengo haven't discussed a motive, and Elisco used an expletive to dismiss claims by Houk's family that the boy might have been jealous of Houk.

"I think it's all bull ... there's no animosity," Elisco said.

Police said Houk's 4-year-old daughter left the house to tell a man trimming trees that something was wrong with her mother on Friday morning.

"We come out to load firewood. We had a little girl that come to the door and told us that her mommy had passed away and I called 911... I stayed there until the state police came in and they found her," said Steve Cable.

Jack Houk, the dead woman’s father, said, "The thing that hurts me the worst is that I can't remember the last time I told her I love her. That'll hurt me the rest of my life."

Houk was due to deliver her baby in just two weeks.
http://www.wpxi.com/news/18760897/detail.html

There is something about those child's eyes that I don't like.

Last edited:
Back