• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

BostonBurns

Insufferable Bastard
Bold Member!
Father-of-two Oregon officer shot dead while trying to arrest a man wanted for felony assault who had been in jail FORTY ONE TIMES
  • Jason Gooding, 39, had worked at Seaside Police Department for 13 years
  • Philip Ferry, 55, refused to show his hands during the arrest
  • When Gooding tried to restrain him, Ferry took out a gun and fired once
  • Another officer shot Ferry several times and he died later in hospital

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...hot-dead-trying-arrest-man-jail-41-times.html

A police officer who had a wife and two children was shot dead as he tried to arrest a man who had been in jail 41 times.

Sergeant Jason Gooding, 39, died in Seaside, Oregon on Friday night while serving an arrest warrant for Philip Ferry, 55.

Gooding was patrolling downtown Seaside with another officer when they saw Ferry, who was wanted for felony assault. Ferry refused to show his hands when the officers tried to arrest him.

The other officer, who has not been identified, used a taser on Ferry, who went down on the ground. When Gooding tried to subdue him, Ferry produced a gun and shot the officer once.
The other officer responded and fired three times, hitting Ferry in several places.

Gooding was taken to hospital, where the team tried to resuscitate him for 40 minutes.

Ferry was transported to another hospital, where doctors tried to revive him for 20 minutes. Both men were pronounced dead in hospital.

The second officer, who shot Ferry, was not injured.

Ferry, who was wanted for felony assault, had been to Clatsop County Jail in nearby Astoria 41 times, Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin told Koin6.

'This guy has been in and out of our jail numerous times... He has a vast record,' Clastop County Sheriff Tom Bergin told Katu.
8zp0rLS.jpg
0J1avsY.jpg

Ferry, who was wanted for felony assault, had been to Clatsop County Jail in nearby Astoria 41 times, Clatsop County Sheriff Tom Bergin told Koin6.
I guess he just finally put his foot down and said no to jail stay #42

Should mace and taze all suspects who don't want to comply. Police procedure nationwide needs to change to keep the citizenry more subservient in such matters.

Jail 41 times, but how many convictions i wonder.

41 arrests! that seems low when you look at his picture, I thought his arrest record would be longer. I'm never surprised when cops get shot...they hunt bad guys, not puppies and kittens.

I missed nothing, and since not everything is released, I'm not going to be shocked one way or another regarding macing. Your point should have been about the officer, and by all reports thus far genuinely decent human being, getting killed by a career criminal. Not about what YOU think they should have done. Jeez Jack, does anyone, anywhere, EVER do anything you approve of? :rolleyes:

I was thinkin of the officer, which is why i think in order to avoid another tragic and untimely murder they should encourage if not require officers to utilize even more stringent measures to incapacitate suspects who pose a threat.

Really not sure why you're trying to hijack this thread and start a big thing here when there's zero cause to do so. Get the fuck over yourself and perhaps you should think about showing more respect to the victims of the story.

I will as soon as you stop criticizing them for not doing it the way you think it should be done

Didn't criticize anyone. Merely stated what i believe might help avoid the potential for future similar incidents.

Being overly sensitive isn't conductive to intelligent discussion.

Should mace and taze all suspects who don't want to comply.

Then they should shoot all of the ones that still don't comply. Three strikes and you're out!
[doublepost=1455653978,1455653900][/doublepost]
He wasn't maced though.

He wasn't shot either. I still haven't heard shot.
[doublepost=1455654106][/doublepost]
I was thinkin of the officer, which is why i think in order to avoid another tragic and untimely murder they should encourage if not require officers to utilize even more stringent measures to incapacitate suspects who pose a threat.

And people need to stop crying when they shoot someone. I hope that didn't play a role in him not shooting first and asking questions later. That's my approved method when dealing with combative suspects.
[doublepost=1455654161][/doublepost]R.I.P. Jason Gooding.

Yeah, that's not really surprising, our Jails here in Oregon have revolving Doors. It's crazy how many peoples Mugs I see over and over on a monthly basis for Robbery, Burglary, Assault etc. It takes away your sense of security knowing they can do whatever they want and they will be right back out doing it again!

Back