• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

everjaded

ಠ_ಠ
Bold Member!
Prepare to be pissed... This is utterly ridiculous.

An Oregon couple claim their baby was left with horror injuries at the hands of their babysitter – including a bruise shaped like a hand print – but the authorities are not pursuing the case.

Joshua Marbury and Alicia Quinney claim they left their one-year-old son Jacob with the babysitter to go on a date night in March.

The couple, from Sherwood, say they returned home to find their son screaming and the babysitter fast asleep.

They say Jacob was covered in bruises the next morning and they reported the incident to police. However, two months later with no criminal charges being filed, they claim the authorities have let them down.

Frustrated, Marbury took to Facebook on Friday to vent that a ruling in Oregon is stopping his son's alleged abuser, who he did not name, from being charged – and posted pictures of Jacob in the bath with extensive bruising on his face.

Marbury was referring to a 2012 ruling in the Oregon Court of Appeals which prosecutors say make it harder to file charges in cases of abuse where the victims can't speak, according to OregonLive.

In order to convict a child abuser of felony assault or criminal mistreatment, according to the website, prosecutors have to prove the victim suffered a 'physical injury' and suffered 'substantial pain'.

This is difficult to prove if victims are unable to explain their suffering, according to an an earlier article on the ruling.

Prosecutors have said that children under five are often unable to articulate 'substantial pain' and this is also true of older children with developmental issues or those afraid to speak out against their abusers, OregonLive reported.

The ruling means that adults are able to get away with hurting children – as long as the injuries are not too bad as the ruling says bruises, welts and shallow cuts are not enough to prosecute.

Can you imagine coming home to a child that was obviously assaulted, one who is now clingy and frightened, and not having any kind of justice? Look at this poor baby. The bruises will fade, but his fear and distrust will last much longer. :(

SMABGDQ.jpg

QUKTGsx.jpg

Poor little guy. Mama and Daddy will never be able to go on another date night that's for sure. And the law is, as you said, BULLSHIT!

Something needs to be done about that law. I hope these parents move forward and do something to try to change it. These pictures speak to this little boy being repeatedly hit and obviously punched. He suffered terribly. I don't blame the parents for this. I don''t have enough information about how long they knew this individual to have built up trust to entrust their child to her or other info. I hope they keep seeking justice for their baby.

Dear God, that bruise on the right side of his face is a handprint! It's more obvious in the second pic, took me a moment to see, because the fingers go up his head. Looks like she smacked him while changing him. Wonder if the batter, excuse me, "sitter" is a southpaw.

Seriously, no charge if the victim can't speak? That's got to be in conflict with every child abuse law in the state. If the parents had done it, they'd be in jail! I can only hope they proceed with a different charge.

Maybe assault on a vulnerable person, like applies to the disabled or elderly.

Last edited:
This sounds very fishy. I highly doubt that's the sole reason prosecutors aren't pursuing charges. There's likely something else going on with this case.

Joshua Marbury and Alicia Quinney

Not married huh?

God was punishing them.

Marbury took to Facebook on Friday to vent that a ruling in Oregon is stopping his son's alleged abuser, who he did not name

Why the fuck not?

For the millionth time one sided stories are worthless, lot more to this then the one sided version being put out
Calling BS on these two

For the millionth time one sided stories are worthless, lot more to this then the one sided version being put out
Calling BS on these two

Whether or not these particular people are bullshitting, the fact remains that this law exists and is not at allbeneficial to the portion of the population unable to appropriately describe their pain or injuries.

Here's another article from over a year ago, which sites examples of specific cases that were not taken to court due to the interpretation of this law...

http://www.oregonlive.com/washingtoncounty/index.ssf/2015/01/oregon_child_abuse_law_allows.html

Couldn't believe what I just read in the attached article. Pretty much gives a free pass to anyone who wants to beat toddlers and infants in Oregon.

I just... no. Not getting baited again. There's no point anyway.
What do you mean?
[doublepost=1463974011,1463973643][/doublepost]
There is no time for date night when you make the commitment to have a baby. The baby should always come first. No excuses. Yes your life should revolve around your child, that is part of being a parent.
I don't understand why this is getting crapped on.

A babysitter accused of bruising a battered baby won’t face any charges — because the infant can’t speak up.

Even though Joshua Marbury’s 1-year-old son was covered in bruises and scars from the babysitter’s alleged beating, the accused abuser is protected by a 2012 Oregon Court of Appeals ruling that discourages prosecutors from filing charges since the tyke can’t talk.

A detective told the upset father the strike could have been fatal, and the babysitter even fessed up to the attack, Marbury said.

“After TWO months of waiting we only find out that charges are dropped BECAUSE my one year old cannot tell you verbally he was abused and my son did not show he was in pain OR that this person ‘intentionally’ did this,” Marbury wrote in an angry Facebook post on Friday.

The alleged bruising babysitter dodged a criminal case since the 2012 ruling specifies that the victim must be able to describe the pain suffered, Oregon Live reported.

The ruling tangles up prosecutors so frequently that animals have more protection from abuse than children.

Jacob’s father told the News the babysitter used to be his best friend, and made up several lies and excuses to cover up the beating — first suggesting the child fell, then claiming he accidentally dropped the boy.

She hopes to become the advocate to change the loophole that protects child abusers.

After Marbury’s Facebook post went viral with more than 180,000 shares, Quinney said she received an outpour of support from relatives of victims with the same frustrations.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ting-toddler-avoids-charges-article-1.2645855

I don't see how that asinine shit even became a law. Whoever thought that shit up must've been ok with toddlers n babies being beaten. This poor baby.. I feel for him but seeing the look on his face, how still he is sitting in the tub like that, n the bruises, damn.. I wanna see that babysitter get fucked up.

What do you mean?
[doublepost=1463974011,1463973643][/doublepost]
I don't understand why this is getting crapped on.

Basically, what @Keepalowprofile said. It's crazy to say that parents can't have a single moment to themselves EVER once they have a child. That's crazily unrealistic.

This was commented immediately after some asinine arguments were made on the lion suicide attempt article so I just said no, there's no point. Not going to try to apply logic in an argument with someone that has none.

Not the first time I've seen this individual say the least logical thing, often completely disregarding or misinterpreting the crux of the story.

There is no time for date night when you make the commitment to have a baby. The baby should always come first. No excuses. Yes your life should revolve around your child, that is part of being a parent.

Hold the fort, Strity.
Are you actually blaming the parents for the utter failure of the Oregon legal system - and the criminal behaviour clearly committed by a child abuser who was entrusted with the care of that baby?

You do realize that kids grow up. Move out, fuck off and have a grand old time living their own life? It doesn't make sense for parents to literally stop everything and drop everything because of a baby. There's nothing wrong with a date night. Don't you have kids? Haven't you posted on here about having nights out without them?

Look at those images. That utter cunt of a human being BEAT UP A BABY. That is who is at fault here.

The Oregonian legal system is at fault here for utter stupidity written into their state legislation.

The parents - are as much victims here, as that poor little bruised Darling is.

A babysitter accused of bruising a battered baby won’t face any charges — because the infant can’t speak up.

Hopefully, this babysitter will be found barely alive in a ditch after having been beaten to within an inch of his/her life.

lol, um, no. This is the kind of mom group bullshit that leads to the creation of entitled snowflakes. There is all sorts of research that has been conducted that smacks this ridiculous (and very modern) parental strategy in the lips. There are several viral pieces that have been written saying stop, no, and don't.

Not married huh?

Fewer women are taking their husband's names than ever, due in part to living in an age where the process is exponentially more involved than it used to be. But it also has to do with things like research that found that employers assume things about women who take their husband's last name, and these things tend to translate into fewer job offers and less pay.

It's been found that the more educated a woman is, the more likely she is to keep her own name, and she's likely to have fewer children, which is what employers want to see. In a world where men are increasingly less able to single-handedly support a household, these are worthy considerations.

I was never going to take another person's last name. It never crossed my mind. My first name doesn't go with any old last name, and my last name is kind of awesome.

My sister shared these images and this story on FB yesterday, and dad did the right thing turning to social media. This will create the national outrage that will get this law changed. This is not how Oregon wants to be seen, but it's not always easy to get a law changed without a fire under the communal ass.

Part of being a good parent is maintaining your sense of self, which you raise your child seeing. That's healthy, as is maintaining your relationship with your partner.

Strity, girl, your heart is most likely in the right place but your comment here shows you're not a parent.

It takes a village, including a babysitter occasionally, to properly raise a child. If the parents neglect other facets of their lives out of some imaginary obligation to cease being human once they've made some offspring, that child will suffer. You teach your children how to be functioning members of society by leading by example.

Sigh. I'd say wait till you're a parent and let us know how your "no time for date night" goes for your sanity. Parents who neglect their own mental health often end up harming their kids. Don't go and get pregnant to prove us wrong though..
*prays to Odin*

Last edited:
Fewer women are taking their husband's names than ever, due in part to living in an age where the process is exponentially more involved than it used to be.
My wife and I got married in November. She plans on changing her name, but we are still working on getting everything processed. You need extra "certified" copies of the license to send off to change the name for SS, Drivers License, Passport, to add her to the bank account, etc.

But to the topic at hand, I do not want to come across as trying to blame the parents in any way, but when my son was little, we would not leave him with anyone other than immediate family. I understand that isn't possible for everyone, but you need to make SURE you do background checks.

Also, the law on the books is fucking RIDICULOUS! I cannot think of a single circumstance where that limitation would aid in a proper legal defense.

Last edited:
My wife and I got married in November. She plans on changing her name, but we are still working on getting everything processed. You need extra "certified" copies of the license to send off to change the name for SS, Drivers License, Passport, to add her to the bank account, etc.

Congrats! And, yeah, the struggle is real. A girlfriend of mine got married a few years ago, and honestly planned to change her name, was getting her ducks in a row, and it just required more ducks, and more ducks, and more ducks... so the effort just fizzled out. Just as well, as they're on the verge of divorce, now, but, uh... Better luck to you! :p

Observing the infants bruising and abrasions is difficult enough. It is the innocence gone from this baby boys eyes and countenance that rends the heart. The injuries will heal but his innocence can never be recovered and that is the sin of it.

Oregon needs to check it's fucking self!!!

I heard on the news this morning that the family friend ADMITTED to hitting the child... I can't find it yet in print, but I heard it on KPTV. I'm now confused, why can't they prosecute when he admitted to the crime? :shrug:

It's because it's not a crime unless the victim experienced "substantial pain", and a ruling determined the mere presence of bruises or welts was not enough to assume physical pain. It boils down to the child not being able to articulate the pain. Pretty glaring loophole in the law, and hopefully, this event garners enough attention to get that hole closed.

Really can't input with anything better then what you all have written; but just had to comment.. dear goodness, that 2nd picture in particular.. Heart shattering :(

Back