• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

China

La Mera Mera
[...]

a sheriff’s deputy in Virginia shot his 16-year-old daughter in the torso when he mistook her for an intruder as she tried to sneak back in the house in the middle of the night.

Easton McDonald, a sergeant with the Loudoun County sheriff’s office, then crashed his car into a barricade as he tried to race her to the hospital, requiring paramedics to respond and take her to the hospital.

The girl is in stable condition at Winchester Medical Center, according to Capt. Donnie Lang of the Frederick County sheriff’s office.

[...]

Many observers would say that this generalized fear of an unknown intruder is behind the proliferation of gun ownership in America and the passing of Stand Your Ground laws in 33 states.

In this case, as McDonald was getting ready for work at 3:30 a.m., he heard the family’s home security alarm alert him that a garage door had been opened, Lang said. When McDonald heard noises coming from the garage, he retrieved his privately owned gun—not his service revolver.

“He figured someone had broken into the garage, and his family was upstairs asleep,” Lang said.

When he opened the garage door, McDonald saw the dark shape of a person coming toward him.

“At that particular point, he discharges his firearm and strikes the person in the torso area,” Lang said. “Then he hears her voice and recognizes that it’s his daughter.”

McDonald put the girl, a 16-year-old student at Millbrook High School, in the car and called 911, telling the operator that he was taking his daughter to the hospital.

But on his way there, Lang said, McDonald lost control of his car and hit a barricade. While he damaged the front of the vehicle, he didn’t cause any additional injuries to his daughter or injure himself.

[...]

A 13-year veteran of the force, McDonald has been placed on administrative leave pending an internal investigation by the Loudoun sheriff’s office.
http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/08/15/va-officer-shoots-daughter-330-m-mistakes-intruder/

Wow. Some uptight sphincters in this thread. :p

Cop should be let go for the sake of public relations. What an embarrassment.

Wow. Some uptight sphincters in this thread. :p

Cop should be let go for the sake of public relations. What an embarrassment.
Yeah, God knows I snuck home in the middle of the morning plenty of times as a teen. The worst thing I recall ever doing was watching those godawful Sleepaway Camp sequels at a friend's. But hey - let's disparage the teenage gunshot victim!

I snuck in once at my dads place. Was halfway in the window when the lights came on and my step-mom was standing there with what I believe was her 9mm.

Yeah, God knows I snuck home in the middle of the morning plenty of times as a teen. The worst thing I recall ever doing was watching those godawful Sleepaway Camp sequels at a friend's. But hey - let's disparage the teenage gunshot victim!

I wonder what kind of cognitive dissonance a good ol' fashion misogynist experiences as an active and otherwise reasonably contributing member of a female-dominated web community? Neither of these gentlemen appear to be trolls... ;)

I, too, sneaked back in at such an hour at that age. I wasn't even sexually active yet (much to the displeasure of many a short-term boyfriend). I was across the street, playing in the sprinklers that came on at the park in the middle of the night with other kids my age who were also not getting laid.

Good thing daddy didn't own a gun. He did, however, eventually bolt my window shut, lol.

Well, I for one would be pissed off to no end to have a 16 year old girl sneaking into my house at 3 AM, primarily because I have only sons.:p

What the hell is with the guys suggesting that she was out 'whoring' all night?! What kind of shit is that?! I snuck out plenty as a teenager, as did so many of my friends both male and female...it wasn't a freakin' orgy! We'd hang out at the park or at a friends how with nobody there. The girl snuck out...and maybe she WAS having sex with somebody, but how that indicates she deserves to be shot is far beyond me.

What the hell is with the guys suggesting that she was out 'whoring' all night?! What kind of shit is that?! I snuck out plenty as a teenager, as did so many of my friends both male and female...it wasn't a freakin' orgy! We'd hang out at the park or at a friends how with nobody there. The girl snuck out...and maybe she WAS having sex with somebody, but how that indicates she deserves to be shot is far beyond me.

Very true. I shouldn't have said what i said.

I mean she very well could have been sneaking out at night to get high on drugs, which i know i speak for everyone when i say is VASTLY worse then whoring around before wedlock. Either way she deserves to burn in hell for all eternity, but i agree with you it is important we attach the right sin to her despicable soul, if she has one of course.

Very true. I shouldn't have said what i said.

I mean she very well could have been sneaking out at night to get high on drugs, which i know i speak for everyone when i say is VASTLY worse then whoring around before wedlock. Either way she deserves to burn in hell for all eternity, but i agree with you it is important we attach the right sin to her despicable soul, if she has one of course.

You do not speak for me. Don't ever imply that you do.

I snuck out a couple times as a kid, and it was never to meet a boyfriend. Shit, I didn't even hang out with regular friends. I just wandered around in the dark feeling rebellious and cool.

Back on topic, though, how does a COP not know the "identify your target before you shoot" rule?

She was only in the garage not even in the house. I don't know what that feels like but I think I would call out first, or go back in the house and call for help and wait with my gun, that's what I think anyways, I have never been in that situation I might just lose my shit. I don't think I would just shoot someone cause they were in my garage though.

She was only in the garage not even in the house. I don't know what that feels like but I think I would call out first, or go back in the house and call for help and wait with my gun, that's what I think anyways, I have never been in that situation I might just lose my shit. I don't think I would just shoot someone cause they were in my garage though.

It may have been an attached garage, which means there would only be a single door separating the garage from the inside of the house. Essentially it's just another room in your home, just a big open one you can put a car in. I can understand the heightened level of concern if that were the case.

@JackBurton You are right, but I still think I would have said "who is there" before shooting, but I have been in situations where the way I reacted was the complete opposite of what I had thought I would do so I am not going to judge this guy. I am sure he feels terrible

Back