• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Satanica

Veteran Member
Bold Member!
From Keep.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...-roughs-her-up-arrests-her-for-doing-her-job/
By all accounts, the head nurse at the University of Utah Hospital's burn unit was professional and restrained when she told a Salt Lake City police detective he wasn't allowed to draw blood from a badly injured patient.

The detective didn't have a warrant, first off. And the patient wasn't conscious, so he couldn't give consent. Without that, the detective was barred from collecting blood samples — not just by hospital policy, but by basic constitutional law.
[....]
Nurse Alex Wubbels politely stood her ground. She got her supervisor on the phone so Payne could hear the decision loud and clear. "Sir," said the supervisor, "you're making a huge mistake because you're threatening a nurse."

Payne snapped. He seized hold of the nurse, shoved her out of the building and cuffed her hands behind her back. A bewildered Wubbels screamed "help me" and "you're assaulting me" as the detective forced her into an unmarked car and accused her of interfering with an investigation.

The explosive July 26 afternoon encounter was captured on officers' body cameras and is now the subject of an internal investigation by the police department [....]

The U.S. Supreme Court has explicitly ruled that blood can only be drawn from drivers for probable cause, with a warrant.

Wubbels, who was not criminally charged, played the footage at a news conference Thursday with her attorney. They called on police to rethink their treatment of hospital workers and said they had not ruled out legal action.

"I just feel betrayed, I feel angry, I feel a lot of things," Wubbels said. "And I'm still confused."

Salt Lake police spokesman Sgt. Brandon Shearer told local media that Payne had been suspended from the department's blood draw unit but remained on active duty.
[....]
It all started when a suspect speeding away from police in a pickup truck on a local highway smashed head-on into a truck driver, as local media reported. Medics sedated the truck driver, who was severely burned, and took him to the University of Utah Hospital. He arrived in a comatose state, according to the Deseret News. The suspect died in the crash.

A neighboring police department sent Payne, a trained police phlebotomist, to collect blood from the patient and check for illicit substances, as the Tribune reported. The goal was reportedly to protect the trucker, who was not suspected of a crime. His lieutenant ordered him to arrest Wubbels if she refused to let him draw a sample, according to the Tribune.

A 19-minute video from the body camera of a fellow officer shows the bitter argument that unfolded on the floor of the hospital's burn unit. (Things get especially rough around the 6-minute mark).

A group of hospital officials, security guards and nurses are seen pacing nervously in the ward. Payne can be seen standing in a doorway, arms folded over his black polo shirt, waiting as hospital officials talk on the phone.

"So why don't we just write a search warrant," the officer wearing the body camera says to Payne.

"They don't have PC," Payne responds, using the abbreviation for probable cause, which police must have to get a warrant for search and seizure. He adds that he plans to arrest the nurse if she doesn't allow him to draw blood. "I've never gone this far," he says.
[....]
Wubbels shows Payne and the other officer a printout of the hospital's policy on obtaining blood samples from patients. With her supervisor on speakerphone, she calmly tells them they can't proceed unless they have a warrant or patient consent, or if the patient is under arrest.

"The patient can't consent, he's told me repeatedly that he doesn't have a warrant, and the patient is not under arrest," she says. "So I'm just trying to do what I'm supposed to do, that's all."

"So I take it without those in place, I'm not going to get blood," [....]

Wubbels's supervisor chimes in on the speakerphone. "Why are you blaming the messenger," he asks Payne.

"She's the one that has told me no," the officer responds.

"Sir, you're making a huge mistake because you're threatening a nurse," Wubbels's supervisor says over the phone.

At that point, Payne seems to lose it.

He paces toward the nurse and tries to swat the phone out of her hand. "We're done here," he yells. He grabs Wubbels by the arms and shoves her through the automatic doors outside the building.

Wubbels screams. "Help! Help me! Stop! You're assaulting me! Stop! I've done nothing wrong! This is crazy!"

Payne presses her into a wall, pulls her arms behind her back and handcuffs her. Two hospital officials tell him to stop, that she's doing her job, but he ignores them.
[....]
Another officer arrives and tells her she should have allowed Payne to collect the samples he asked for. He says she obstructed justice and prevented Payne from doing his job.
[....]
In Thursday's news conference, Wubbels's attorney Karra Porter said that Payne believed he was authorized to collect the blood under "implied consent," according to the Tribune. But Porter said "implied consent" law changed in Utah a decade ago. And in 2016, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that warrantless blood tests were illegal. Porter called Wubbels's arrest unlawful.

"The law is well-established. And it's not what we were hearing in the video," she said. "I don't know what was driving this situation."
[....]
"A blood draw, it just gets thrown around like it's some simple thing," she said, according to the Deseret News. "But your blood is your blood. That's your property."

For now, Wubbels is not taking any legal action against police. But she's not ruling it out.

"I want to see people do the right thing first and I want to see this be a civil discourse," she said Thursday, according to the Deseret News. "If that's not something that's going to happen and there is refusal to acknowledge the need for growth and the need for re-education, then we will likely be forced to take that type of step. But people need to know that this is out there."
imrs.php

[/QUOTE

Last edited:
WTF??? Hey dumb ass, it's not the hospital policy that was at issue, it was the individuals inability to either deny or give consent. You know, that little bit that comes under the header of citizen rights.

The nurse knew her job and acted accordingly. Too bad that the ignorant asses that upon failing to bully her, then arrested her didn't. GAAAAAWD!!!!!

Last edited:
This cops is an asshole ... and probably breaks or bends the rules just to suit himself all of the time.

The cop, the other cops with him, and his dumb ass superior who told him to arrest her all need to lose their badges and pensions

I wonder what could have possibly given these LEO's any idea that they could just violate the rule of law and constitutional norms?
:penguin:

I hope the nurse does file a lawsuit against the police department and individuals involved. This was nothing but another example of an irrogant bullying cop refusing to go through the proper channels. Laws are made for a reason. One is to keep overzealous cops such as this one...take advantage of other's in these situations.

From the article.... (Thanks @keepalow)

For now, Wubbels is not taking any legal action against police. But she's not ruling it out.

"I want to see people do the right thing first and I want to see this be a civil discourse," she said Thursday, according to the Deseret News. "If that's not something that's going to happen and there is refusal to acknowledge the need for growth and the need for re-education, then we will likely be forced to take that type of step. But people need to know that this is out there."

Wouldn't you like to believe that LE Officers would be the first to do and set the example of doing the right thing?

Last edited:
It's bizarre to me they wanted the blood so bad. Im thinking the cops were out to protect themselves. This citizen was severely injured and horrifically burned as a result of a high speed police chase. The cops chased a suspect and it led to this crash and harmed this citizen. If they could prove the victim was impaired, it would do wonders to prevent any negative action, be it legally or just publicity wise, against the dept involved.

I cant see why else they would have gone so over the top here.

The cop, the other cops with him, and his dumb ass superior who told him to arrest her all need to lose their badges and pensions

Meh, i think that's a bit much, especially when it comes to the other cops with him.

Demotions and significant retraining would be more apt.

No one said he had been demoted. I was merely saying i felt that would be a more appropriate penalty then firing him and everyone else involved.

No one said he had been demoted. I was merely saying i felt that would be a more appropriate penalty then firing him and everyone else involved.
Yeah. No shit, slick. Nor did I say he had been.

I was simply noting the irony of the fact that a demotion WASN'T going to happen, as you suggested would be appropriate, because his "penalty" has already been delivered. Well, until the media caught wind.

Reading comprehension. Means stuff.

Last edited:
Cop who arrested Utah nurse put on administrative leave

The Salt Lake City police officer who arrested and allegedly assaulted a nurse for refusing a blood draw from an unconscious patient has been placed on administrative leave, the mayor's office said Friday.

In a body cam video taken July 26 at the University of Utah Medical Center that went viral Friday, nurse Alex Wubbels is seen explaining to Salt Lake detective Jeff Payne that she couldn't allow a blood draw on a patient who had been injured in a car accident. Wubbels told Payne that the patient is required to be conscious to give consent, unless the patient is under arrest or if officers had a warrant.

Wubbels points out to Payne that these parameters are spelled out in an agreement between the hospital and the department.

Despite the warning, Payne is heard saying, "We are done, we are done, you are under arrest."

He can then be seen grabbing Wubbels and cuffing her as she screams, "You're assaulting me stop! I've done nothing wrong! This is crazy! This is crazy!"

In the video, Payne's partner could be heard trying to calm his partner down during the arrest.

Another officer is heard saying, "I don't think this arrest is going to stick."

The hospital security camera also captured parts of the incident, including what appears to be officers forcing her outside.

Mayor Jackie Biskupski said there will be a criminal investigation by the Salt Lake City police department and the district attorney. As a result of the criminal investigation, the officer is being placed on full administrative leave.

"The only job I have is to keep my patient safe," Wubbels said in a press conference Friday.

The University of Utah said in a statement that Wubbels had "followed procedures and protocols in this matter and was acting in her patient's best interest," according to CBS affiliate KUTV.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/co...e-leave/ar-AAr6qqX?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

There has been a real bad habit of you guys saying no
The statement alone tells me they've come across a situation before and they were looking to make her an example. Around the 9 minute mark.

.... there will be a criminal investigation by the Salt Lake City police department and the district attorney.
I certainly hope so since there was clearly criminal activity going with that so-called detective who doesn't either know, or care about, the law.

Payne is going to lose his police gig over this idiocy.
He was in the wrong and has now exposed his police dept to a huge lawsuit from not just the nurse but the hospital as well.
He broke the law, plus it appears based on his own language in the video he may have done it before on several occassions.

Fire him,
Charge him
Jail him,
Sue him
Sue his department.

His days with a badge are coming to an unexpected close.
Once proven he brooke the law here,
go back and review his other collections.
Chances are good there are serious criminal irregularities in many of them courtesy of this moronic brute.

Any officer there or involved needs to be fired immediately!! This just proves the gang entailing that some officers have and why we do not trust law enforcement as a whole.
What a horrible situation considering you have officers like the man in Texas who just died trying to get to work to save victims... Then you have these assholes!
That other cop should have NEVER let this happen! He said "you can talk just let him take her to the car"
Knowing in his heart they had none of the 3 things needed to pull blood! They not only were completely fine with stomping all over the poor victim of the car crash rights, but then ran all over ANYONES rights who got in their way!
This is sick. ALL should be fired and never allowed on any force. But, it won't happen. This story need to be all over the place. Wow, that poor woman. Kudos to her for ding what is right.
[doublepost=1504377686,1504377212][/doublepost]
The statement alone tells me they've come across a situation before and they were looking to make her an example. Around the 9 minute mark.
Yes and that they don't give a fuck about the law or anyone's rights. Now he is on a paid vaca. This shit needs to stop and I don't know how we even begin to change it.

Any officer there or involved needs to be fired immediately!! This just proves the gang entailing that some officers have and why we do not trust law enforcement as a whole.
What a horrible situation considering you have officers like the man in Texas who just died trying to get to work to save victims... Then you have these assholes!
That other cop should have NEVER let this happen! He said "you can talk just let him take her to the car"
Knowing in his heart they had none of the 3 things needed to pull blood! They not only were completely fine with stomping all over the poor victim of the car crash rights, but then ran all over ANYONES rights who got in their way!
This is sick. ALL should be fired and never allowed on any force. But, it won't happen. This story need to be all over the place. Wow, that poor woman. Kudos to her for ding what is right.
[doublepost=1504377686,1504377212][/doublepost]
Yes and that they don't give a fuck about the law or anyone's rights. Now he is on a paid vaca. This shit needs to stop and I don't know how we even begin to change it.
That statement was from the police supervisor he was talking to her in the car after Payne had put her in the car. It just wasn't Payne.

It appears the injured, comatose truck driver is a Rigby reserve police officer who drivers a tractor-trailer when not on duty.

RIGBY, ID — On July 26 of this year, one of our reserve officers, William Gray, was the victim in a horrific accident in northern Utah while working his full-time job as a truck driver.

The suspect [Marcos Torres] in this incident was fleeing from Utah State Highway Patrol, when he crossed into oncoming traffic and collided head on with Gray’s truck, severely injuring Gray and killing himself.

[....]

The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act.

[...]

It is important to remember that Officer Gray is the victim in this horrible event, and that at no time was he under any suspicion of wrongdoing.

[...]
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2017/...-standing-firm-in-protecting-officers-rights/
At least the good news is Marcos Torres died and Officer Gray has the support of not just the medical staff, but also of his department.

Last edited:
More info on the patient

RIGBY, Idaho (AP) - An eastern Idaho police chief says one of his reserve officers was the unconscious patient involved in the confrontation between a nurse and police officer in a Utah hospital.

Rigby Police Chief Sam Tower on Friday thanked the Utah nurse and other hospital staffers for preventing Utah officers from obtaining a blood sample from 43-year-old William Gray, a Rigby reserve officer.

Tower says protecting the rights of others is a heroic act.

Gray was severely injured in a northern Utah crash in July while working his full-time job as a truck driver. According to Tower, a suspect was fleeing Utah State Highway Patrol when the suspect's vehicle collided with Gray's truck.

Gray has since remained in the hospital for severe burn wounds treatment.

The Rigby Police Department says it was not aware of the incident involving the nurse and a Utah officer until August 31.

If you would like to help Officer Gray a GoFundMe Account has been created upon his behalf.

Police Apologize To Utah Nurse Arrested In Viral Body Camera Video

SALT LAKE CITY -- Salt Lake City police have apologized to the nurse who says she was arrested for refusing a blood draw from an unconscious patient.

Police Chief Mike Brown issued a joint statement with Mayor Jackie Biskupski on Friday, condemning the officer who arrested nurse Alex Wubbles for obstruction of justice.

"I was alarmed by what I saw in the video with our officer and Ms. Wubbles. I am sad at the rift this has caused between law-enforcement and the nurses we work so closely with," Brown said, promising that his department would take steps to "ensure this will never happen again."

The incident took place on July 26 and went viral Friday when body camera footage was released to the public. Wubbels can be seen speaking with detective Jeff Payne, explaining that she couldn't allow a blood draw on a patient who had been injured in a car accident.

She tells Payne that the patient is required to be conscious to give consent, unless the patient is under arrest or if officers had a warrant, and that the parameters are spelled out in an agreement between the hospital and the department.

Despite the warning, Payne is heard saying, "We are done. We are done. You are under arrest" as he takes her into custody.

"No medical professional in Salt Lake City should be hindered from performing their duties, and certainly not be fearful of the police officers they so often partner with to save lives," Biskupski said in the statement Friday.

Biskupski said she ordered the department to conduct a review of "all policies and trainings to ensure respect" in future situations.

The police department has opened a criminal investigation into Payne's actions and has placed him on administrative leave.

Wubbles told CBS affiliate KUTV that she accepts the apology but hopes the video ensures that nothing like this ever happens again.

"I felt a duty to everyone that has ever had this happen to them that didn't have the evidence that I have to show it, and it seemed like a good time to do it," she said. "Clearly this is an issue that is bigger than just me."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/alex-wubbles-utah-nurse-arrest-police-apologize-video/

The po po may have thought they could bully this courageous nurse who knew right was on her side when protecting the rights of her unconscious patient. She made them think again!!

th
Nurse Wubbels

I hope it made that fat fuck feel like a man. It will be the last time he does by hiding behind a badge to assault a woman. Bet he's divorced :bored:
[doublepost=1504387828,1504387572][/doublepost]I also hope the fat fuck is reading this :finger:

Here's the crash. The suspect clearly intentionally hits the semi. It was a deliberate act. He knew he was going down and was going to take someone else out with him. What fucking filth. I bet his entire family is vile worthless scum.

to assault a woman

Did you not watch the vid?

All the article titles about how this woman was assaulted are engaging in some over the top sensationalist nonsense. It was a standard arrest. Any "shoving" that occured was merely law enforcement escorting her outside the building to cuff her so as to limit the publicity and alarm within the hosptial and among the various patients/workers inside.

A lot of these comments and descriptors of events are absurdly over the top and misguided. He trampled on the rights of a citizen and attempted to subvert the rights of another, for sure. But assault? Give me a fucking break.

Yeah. No shit, slick. Nor did I say he had been.
I was simply noting the irony of the fact that a demotion WASN'T going to happen, as you suggested would be appropriate, because his "penalty" has already been delivered. Well, until the media caught wind.

I sincerely don't grasp the point of your comment then. For starters, you yourself admit that further punishment could be possible since the media has bit onto the story. And of course, that seems to be exactly what has happened with him now being placed on administrative leave. Furthermore, when folks comment on these stories we usually are expressing our own personal opinions/desires as to what should happen, not making any actual guesses or assumptions regarding reality. Pointing out something that we all already fucking read in the story served no purpose whatsoever and contributed absolutely nothing to the thread. Seriously, why post this shit?

Don't comment again unless you have something pertinent to fucking add. Thanks.

All I can say is that cop has made enemies with every nurse in the country. Nurses in groups are damn near like a gang. If a nurse in a er recognizes him as a patient he should expect shitty care. I'm lucky at work that the meanest alpha boss bitch nurses love me.

The Rigby Police Department would like to thank the nurse involved and hospital staff for standing firm and protecting Officer Gray’s rights as a patient and victim. Protecting the rights of others is truly a heroic act.

Oh what ever.

2nd Utah Police Officer On Placed On Leave Over Nurse Arrest

SALT LAKE CITY – A second Salt Lake City police officer has been put on paid leave as authorities investigate the use of force in a nurse's arrest.

Prosecutors have asked for a criminal investigation, prompting the police department to put two officers on paid administrative leave.

The second officer hasn't been formally identified, but officials have said they also were reviewing the conduct of Payne's boss, a lieutenant who reportedly called for the arrest if Wubbels kept interfering.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/09/02/2nd-utah-police-officer-on-paid-leave-over-nurse-arrest.html

Who the big man now Lieutenant??? :asshat:

Back