• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.

Whisper

#byefelicia
143n795.jpg
dph9hz.jpg

Alayah-Rose Savarese, right, who had cerebral palsy died in June 2012. Her mom Nicole Diggs, left, had won a $2m lawsuit against Cayuga Medical Center in New York where her daughter was born​
A $2million trust fund awarded to a severely disabled girl is set to be inherited by her mother and new husband following the child's death from suspected neglect.

Alayah-Rose Savarese, who had cerebral palsy and could not speak, walk or eat, was found dead on June 25 last year in her mother Nicole Diggs'
[....]
with a ruptured stomach.

A criminal probe continues into the death of the eight-year-old but no charges have been filed and it unclear if her death was an accident or homicide.
[....]
have revealed that $2.1million dollars awarded to the little girl following a medical malpractice suit will now go to Ms Diggs and her husband Oscar Thomas - whom the mother married three weeks after her daughter's death.

Ms Diggs, a Cornell University graduate and special education teacher in New York City, won a 2006 medical malpractice lawsuit against Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca, where Alayah was born.

The trust fund was supposed to help provide for the little girl’s substantial physical needs but Alayah was mostly cared for by Mr Thomas.

He admitted during a subsequent investigation into her death that he was not comfortable feeding, bathing or diapering the child.
A week prior to Alayah’s death, Westchester County Department of Social Services workers had visited their apartment after reports that the girl had missed half the school year and had unexplained bruises.

At that time, a caseworker suggested Ms Diggs hire a health aide, but the mother said, ‘she did not want the government to try to recoup any money from the settlement,’ a state child fatality report revealed.
On June 25, Mr Thomas and a friend had visits with their probation officers and so had left the child in the care of another man - a 32-year-old friend who didn’t know how to feed her and ‘would not be able to recognize a medical crisis or seizure,’
[....]
The man was also left to watch Mr Thomas’ and Ms Diggs’ 16-month-old twin sons.

The little girl had been dead for up to six hours before EMS officials arrived at the apartment despite the friend's claim that he checked on her twice that morning.

A blunt - a cigar rolled with marijuana - was found in the apartment. Mr Thomas and two of his friends tested positive that day for marijuana.

Prior to Alayah's death, six other complaints had been made with the state regarding her care, including that she was filthy, underfed, missed school and physical therapy,
[...]

Medical records showed that between ages 5 and 6, Alayah ‘had dropped off the growth chart substantially'.
A doctor who specializes in child abuse consulted after her death said her growth trend would be classified as ‘failure to thrive,’ a condition that means a child is not getting enough calories to grow, the report says.

Three weeks after her daughter's death, Ms Diggs married Mr Thomas,
[....]
‘There are a lot of allegations that are not true and I’d prefer not to talk about it because I took care of my daughter all her life and I did everything I could for her,’ Diggs told
[..]
in November.

The Social Services investigation into the death substantiated allegations of lack of medical care, inadequate guardianship and educational neglect against Diggs and allegations of inadequate guardianship and drug use against Thomas.

Alayah’s father Anthony Savarese is demanding answers. ‘I have no closure. My baby girl is gone and I still don’t know what happened,’ he told
[...]
in November.

Hudson Valley Bank, which handled the trust, was appointed administrator of the estate in November 2012, records show, and has not yet distributed the vast majority of the funds.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2528764/Mother-stands-inherit-two-million-dollar-estate-belonging-severely-disabled-girl-died-years-neglect.html#ixzz2oY3C28cI

28tz2th.jpg
2r59ni0.jpg

Diggs' partner Oscar Thomas, right, was supposed to be looking after Alayah but admitted he didn't know what he was doing, while Anthony Savarese is demanding an explanation for what happened to his daughter
33k6c5c.jpg
Three weeks after her eight-year-old daughter's death, Diggs married Thomas in July 2012

I was reading this earlier, and I really hope they get charged

A week prior to Alayah’s death, Westchester County Department of Social Services workers had visited their apartment after reports that the girl had missed half the school year and had unexplained bruises.
At that time, a caseworker suggested Ms Diggs hire a health aide, but the mother said, ‘she did not want the government to try to recoup any money from the settlement,’ a state child fatality report revealed.

This is the coldest shit I have read, how the fuck do you prefer for your baby to be malnourished and only think about $$? Medicaid pays all of 27 a day for a health aid. I guess it would take away from Oscar's mouth. She really planned this out because most people in a lawsuit don't know that what ever your private or Medicaid/Medicare pays when you get hurt, will get taken from your settlement.

I can tell by her wedding pic that she was grieving.....fucking cunt.

Alayah-Rose Savarese, who had cerebral palsy and could not speak, walk or eat

unclear if her death was an accident or homicide.
How could it be accidental? She could not walk, talk, or eat and died from a ruptured stomach, how exactly does a helpless child inflict that on herself or how do you spin your story so that whatever you have done to the child seems accidental?

And what kind of cold hearted cunt has a wedding 3 weeks after her child's death and is all smiles like it's the happiest day of her life? Even if she isn't responsible I still want to beat her face in for that alone.

I try not wish bad things on people, I really do. Especially since we can never know their exact circumstances, but I wouldn't mind seeing this bitch featured on the 'Weird News' section for contracting a flesh eating virus from paper cutting herself on her blood money. Just saying...

Evil vile bitch I hope she gets sent to the slammer along with her hubby who I am sure had been abusing the little girl and mommy was all too happy to get that burden off her back as soon as the money was in the account and time was getting close to inherit her daughter accidentally dies from a self inflicted ruptured stomach since we all know that the sneaky little girl must've been faking the cerebal palsy and all that just to make mommy look bad. Mommy has a family already with twin boys and a hubby who she married right after her baby died yeah I fucking hate her hope her twat rots from the inside out and they both get sentenced ignorant fuckers.

I'm assuming if she couldn't eat that she had a feeding tube, if that is the case, I can see that perhaps out of ignorance the friend that Mr. Thomas left in charge of Alayah-Rose and her twin brothers might have done something horribly wrong that ended up rupturing her stomach simply because he didn't know what he was doing??? God, at least I hope it wasn't something else!
That's kind of what I was wondering. I had a cousin with cerebral palsy, and her mom was accused at one point of child abuse, becasue she wasn't gaining weight, but her mom really didn't want to force a feeding tube on her daughter, at the time 8 yrs old and fully dependant, but able to chew and swallow.. so she kept a food diary, and got her to eat what she would. They put my little cousin in foster care, where a tube was added, and with the extra weight on her frame, and no way to walk it off.. guess what, bed sores from laying too long and having too much weight on her tiny frame.. did not help her at all. Care of a person with this kind of disability is precarious at best, fraught with danger at worst. A feeding tube could easily cause a rupture. I still can't excuse this bitch though, because it seems she knew there were issues and didn't seek help. That's the difference for me.

2myyhy.jpg

Oscar Thomas​
A man left to care for a severely disabled Yonkers girl who died in 2012 after years of reported neglect surrendered Thursday to face charges of criminally negligent homicide and endangering the welfare of a child.

Oscar Thomas, 28, of the Bronx was arraigned Thursday afternoon in Westchester County Court, where the indictment was unsealed, and is being held without bond. His arrest comes a week after the girl's mother — then his fiancee and now his wife — was arrested in the case.
[...]
Diggs and the girl's biological father, 33-year-old Anthony Savarese of Yonkers, are set to inherit the money that was awarded as the result of a medical malpractice lawsuit against Cayuga Medical Center in Ithaca, New York, where Alayah was born.
Darryl Gibbs, a child abuse prevention advocate, who has been fighting for justice for Alayah, praised the two arrests.

"I hope that the arrest and prosecution of Alayah's horrible caregivers sends a loud and clear message to caregivers across Westchester to always put the care of their children as a priority,"
[...]
"The death of Alayah should as well make major changes in (the Department of Social Services) because Alayah should have been taken out of that house of horrors for her own well-being."

Thomas told investigators he went to a probation appointment that morning with a friend and left her with another friend who didn't know how to feed her through her stomach tube and wouldn't recognize whether she was having medical issues
[...]
The friend also was watching the couple's 16-month-old twin sons.

Alayah was dead an estimated four to six hours before EMS workers arrived at the apartment, despite the friend's claim that he checked on her twice that morning. A blunt — a cigar rolled with marijuana — was found in the apartment; Thomas and two friends who were there tested positive for marijuana later that day, the report says. Police responded to the apartment about 1:50 p.m. after Thomas called 911.
[...]
Thomas claimed Alayah "was o.k. when he checked on her at approximately 12:30 pm" but a short time later she was "unconscious and not breathing." Thomas is on probation for misdemeanor DWI and has a misdemeanor attempted assault conviction. It's unclear why he waited a week to surrender.

The county Warrant-Fugitive Unit had been "looking aggressively" since last week for Thomas, who surrendered at 9:15 a.m. Thursday at Lennon Park off Lake Avenue in Yonkers, county police spokesman Kieran O'Leary said.
[...]
the circumstances surrounding Alayah's death in a front-page report in November, detailing how the girl already had been on the radar of state child welfare authorities when she died. Six earlier complaints had been made with the state regarding her care, including that she was filthy, underfed, frequently absent from school and missed physical therapy appointments. Only one complaint was substantiated, but that finding did not come until after she died.

That complaint was made a week before Alayah's death, when Westchester County Department of Social Services workers responded to the apartment on reports that she had missed half the school year and had unexplained bruises.

At that time, a caseworker suggested Diggs hire a health aide or explore other avenues of support, but Diggs said, "she did not want the government to try to recoup any money from the settlement," the state fatality report says. Officials at the girl's special-needs school got permission from Thomas to wash Alayah's hair and "the water was black" from dirt.
[...]
Diggs, who works at P.S. 152 Evergreen, an elementary school, has been reassigned and barred from having access to students. She has been released on $25,000 bond and is due back in court Wednesday.
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/crime/2014/06/19/man-charged-disabled-girls-death/10894437/

An older article
Nov 3 2013

No charges ever filed in 2012 death of disabled Yonkers girl, 8
http://www.lohud.com/story/news/loc...012-death-of-disabled-yonkers-girl-8/3792787/

Mom charged in girl's death could get trust fund
[...]
accused of killing her severely disabled 8-year-old daughter by withholding food and medical care could inherit nearly $1 million from the girl's trust fund — even if she's convicted.

Nicole Diggs and her husband have pleaded not guilty to charges of negligent homicide and child endangerment in the 2012 death of Alayah Savarese, who was the beneficiary of a trust fund created from the settlement of a malpractice suit that stemmed from complications during her birth.
[...]
indictment doesn't allege that the trust fund was a motive, but Diggs' attorney says prosecutors are nevertheless implying that her client "somehow disposed of her daughter in order to obtain the money." She wants any mention of the trust fund barred from trial and says her client didn't neglect Alayah.
[...]
On the day Alayah died in a Yonkers apartment, she was left in the care of one of Thomas' friends, who wasn't equipped to deal with her medical issues
[...]
If convicted, the 32-year-old Diggs wouldn't be automatically disqualified from inheriting her daughter's fortune because she isn't charged with intending to kill the girl. Many states have so-called slayer statutes to prevent profiting from a crime, but New York courts have generally held that without intent, a homicide doesn't disqualify someone from inheriting from a victim, said St. John's Law School professor Margaret Turano, a trust and estate expert.

John Riordan, an attorney and former Surrogate's Court Judge
[...]
"If it's unintentional, then the person can still inherit. ... But the facts of this case are very unsettling, and under the circumstances, it doesn't seem correct that that would happen."

Any challenges to Diggs' inheritance would be heard in a separate court, Westchester County Surrogate's Court, where a bank has been named administrator of the girl's estate.

Alayah's biological father, Anthony Savarese, who lived elsewhere in Yonkers when Alayah died and isn't charged, is in line to get half the trust fund. His lawyer declined to say whether his client would challenge Diggs' inheritance.
[....]
report on Alayah's death from the state Office of Children and Family Services chronicles a long list of complaints — some of which were determined to be unfounded — and several visits from caseworkers.

The complaints include that Alayah was so dirty the school staff took it on themselves to wash her, and after one shampoo, "the water was black from the dirt."

Caseworkers reported that although Diggs received some Medicaid assistance, she passed up opportunities to get more help.
[...]
Court papers indicate some of the settlement money was used to buy a $35,000 van to transport Alayah and to make modifications for her at a home in Dutchess County that Diggs and Thomas were planning to buy.
[...]
state report substantiated various allegations against Diggs and Thomas, including inadequate guardianship and lack of medical care. But it concluded there was "no causal connection" between those allegations and Alayah's death.
[...]
Diggs' lawyer has filed motions seeking dismissal of the indictment. The prosecution's reply to that motion and other issues is expected this week. Diggs faces a maximum sentence of four years in prison.

A lawyer for Thomas, 29, wouldn't comment on the case.
[...]
According to defense papers, Diggs resisted suggestions to institutionalize the girl and raised her with the help of relatives while she graduated from Cornell University, got a master's degree and was hired to teach special education students at a public school in the Bronx.

Thomas was the stay-at-home caretaker,.
[....]
Diggs still works for New York City's public schools, but she has been transferred to administrative duties and isn't allowed contact with students.

She isn't permitted to use Alayah's trust fund for her defense, so her lawyer is being paid by taxpayers.
https://news.yahoo.com/mom-charged-girls-death-could-trust-fund-150030255.html

The dad should sue for the moms half of the trust fund payout.

This mom is such a horrible piece of shit. It sounds like she just had flat out nothing to do with any of her kids. The article says the bf left to a probation thing, so he left the kids, all fuckin 3 of em, in the care of some random buddy of his? Where was the mom???? The fuck? The article makes no mention of her whereabouts during any of this, just his.

And what dude would say, "oh shit yeah, i'll watch your severely handicapped step daughter and infant twins, fun times!!!"???

It's not like the mom was some ignorant, borderline retarded, drugged out piece of shit either. Cornell graduate and had a job as a teacher, teaching special ed kids at that. She wasn't too lazy to deal with this child. She wasn't too stupid. She didn't lack the resources. This was some intentional, cold hearted, i'm gonna make some bank offing my kid, shit.

Nicole Diggs No Longer Charged With Homicide Of Disabled Daughter
[...]
said Tuesday they can no longer support a homicide charge against a special-education teacher who had been accused of killing her severely disabled daughter by neglecting her.
A new indictment unsealed
[...]
County courthouse alleges only child endangerment against Nicole Diggs and her husband, Oscar Thomas
[...]
Diggs' 8-year-old daughter, Alayah Savarese, died in 2012. Because of complications at birth,

[...]
talk or eat and had cerebral palsy and seizures. Prosecutors said Alayah did not receive proper nutrition or medical treatment.
[...]

original indictment, alleging negligent homicide, was dismissed in September because of faulty grand jury testimony, including a detective's suggestion that the girl's $2 million trust fund was a motive in her death. The fund was created when a malpractice lawsuit was settled.

Judge Barbara Zambelli told prosecutors then that they could seek a new indictment. But Assistant District Attorney Audrey Stone said Tuesday that before they went to a second grand jury, "We determined that certain facts had changed. That process led us to the conclusion that the charge of criminally negligent homicide was not an appropriate one."

She did not detail what had changed.

[....]
Diggs' lawyer, Arlene Popkin, and Thomas' attorney, Michael Rubin, would not comment

[...]
Diggs, 32, and Thomas, 29, married after Alayah's death. They each pleaded not guilty to the endangerment charge, which carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison upon conviction. They each would have faced up to four years if convicted
[....]
A court conference was scheduled for Dec. 9.

In support of the previous indictment, prosecutors said the girl was often left unattended and was frequently kept home from school, depriving her of physical and occupational therapy.

[...]
never alleged a motive, but Popkin has said they implied it was the money. Even if convicted of negligent homicide, Diggs would not have been automatically disqualified from inheriting the trust fund because intent was not an element of the crime.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/11/25/nicole-diggs-homiicide-_n_6222364.html?utm_hp_ref=crime

Back