• You must be logged in to see or use the Shoutbox. Besides, if you haven't registered, you really should. It's quick and it will make your life a little better. Trust me. So just register and make yourself at home with like-minded individuals who share either your morbid curiousity or sense of gallows humor.
from @Muriel Schwenck's link

The Democrat & Chronicle reported that upon being told that she would be receiving a 60 day jail sentence and three years probation during her July 6 sentencing hearing, Astacio's lawyer, Mark Young, told the court that she was 'not willing to do probation' and that 'she will violate probation the moment you put her on probation.'

In response, the judge said that he would then see her in court again.

Go ahead and make her an habitual offender, she's never gonna stop drinking and driving, she thinks she's untouchable.

Since Astacio holds a 10-year term tenure as a judge, only the state Commission on Judicial Conduct can remove her from the bench. The commission won't say if it's investigating, and any action could reportedly take years.

And this, this is ridiculous. They should be able to strip a drunk asshole's credentials as quick as it takes to get a majority committee in one room. This is one of the reasons she thinks she's untouchable.

http://13wham.com/news/local/astacio-in-court-friday-for-hearing

The legal wrangling continues. This statement from Ms. Astacio shows her true colors:
"I'm sorry that this happened obviously, it's been incredibly difficult and traumatic for me and my family and if I could undo everything, would I be nicer to the trooper, yeah I think that could have avoided all of this, but I can't and I think everything happens for a reason including going to jail twice. I met a lot of very interesting people, I've learned an amazing amount, so it's difficult for me to say I would undo anything because I think it all matters, I think it all happened for a reason and it shapes me into a better person."

Should have been nicer to the trooper? How about some remorse for drunk driving?

Employees at the Hall of Justice in Rochester confirmed Astacio has not been at work since August 31, citing a doctor's note. She is still receiving her $174,000 annual salary.

The NYS Judicial Conduct Commission has an open case on Astacio. They met on Thursday, October 26, but the commission has not yet indicated if they made any decisions about Astacio's status as an elected judge.

Last edited:
Employees at the Hall of Justice in Rochester confirmed Astacio has not been at work since August 31, citing a doctor's note. She is still receiving her $174,000 annual salary.

I resent that the taxpayers of NY are still carrying this entitled public "servant".

https://www.democratandchronicle.co...l-conduct-rochester-city-court-dwi/541442002/
Within months after she assumed the bench in 2015, City Court Judge Leticia Astacio was making statements and decisions that, three years later, a state watchdog agency would determine were less than judicial.

She decided to arraign a defendant whom she knew — she had represented him when she was a defense lawyer — instead of recusing herself. Astacio was worried his case could go to a judge she thought might be tougher than she.

She told a jaywalker that, if there were no laws, she would "run (jaywalkers) over because it's disrespectful."

She laughed when a defense lawyer, representing a young man accused of sexual misconduct, said the alleged victim had "buyer's remorse." When Astacio saw the prosecutor was upset by the defense lawyer's comment, Astacio said, "You didn't think that was funny?"
[....]
By themselves, these lapses in judgment may have earned Astacio a mild public rebuke. But they are instead part of the case the Commission on Judicial Conduct built against Astacio when it decided to strip her of her judgeship.

Astacio's more egregious errors are well known — her drunken driving conviction, her failure to abide by post-conviction terms, her odd trip to Thailand that caused her to miss court-ordered monitoring.

"There are no external factors creating this," Commission Deputy Commissioner John Postel told commission members when recommending that Astacio be stripped of her judgeship. "There is no one else to blame here.
[....]
Astacio, 36, can appeal the decision to the state's highest court, the Court of Appeals, which recently suspended her, with pay, after an arrest earlier this month on allegations that she illegally tried to buy a shotgun.

"I will be reviewing the decision with my client and we will be making a judgment as to whether or not to appeal in the near future," said Astacio's Syracuse-based attorney, Robert Julian.

Last edited:
She laughed when a defense lawyer, representing a young man accused of sexual misconduct, said the alleged victim had "buyer's remorse." When Astacio saw the prosecutor was upset by the defense lawyer's comment, Astacio said, "You didn't think that was funny?"
Actually, that is funny. I would laugh sardonically too. But not in the courtroom. Save for coffee break in chambers. This judge has no sense of propriety or proportion.

And why did she need a shotgun? I doubt she is taking up duck hunting with all that spare time she has these days.

https://www.democratandchronicle.co...acio-judgeship-rochester-ny-court/1344835002/
Leticia Astacio is, officially, no longer a City Court judge.

In a unanimous decision, the Court of Appeals Tuesday removed Astacio from the bench.

The state's judicial watchdog agency, the Commission on Judicial Conduct, in April recommended that Astacio be stripped of her judgeship. Astacio was convicted of misdemeanor drunken driving in 2016.

Astacio appealed the commission decision to the state Court of Appeals, New York's highest court. But, in a stinging decision Tuesday, the Court of Appeals ruled that Astacio did not seem to grasp the "gravity and impact of her behavior" and how it tainted the public perception of "her fitness to perform her duties" and the overall perspective of the judiciary.

Without her removal, the Court of Appeals determined, "we conclude that any rupture in the public's confidence cannot be repaired."
[....]
Her drunken driving conviction, by itself, likely would not have cost Astacio her judgeship. The commission also decided that Astacio:

• Tried to use her position as a judge to influence the State Police officer who arrested her for drunken driving.

• Showed questionable temperament on the bench with several cases, such as when she told a jaywalker that, if there were not laws, she "would run (jaywalkers) over because it's disrespectful," or when she told a deputy to "tase" or "shoot" or "punch ... in the face" a 16-year-old girl who was fighting efforts to bring her into court. Astacio maintained the comments were in jest.

• Failed to abide by mandates placed upon her after her arrest and conviction. She was once briefly jailed because of violations.

The Court of Appeals earlier suspended Astacio from the bench. She largely has been absent from work since her DWI arrest, after judicial administrators decided she should not hear cases. She has continued to collect her salary, which currently is $187,200.

She will no longer receive her salary. Her attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.

In Tuesday's decision, the Court of Appeals questioned whether Astacio truly recognized how her own decisions were the seeds of her fall from grace.

Though Astacio "expressed some contrition" the Court of Appeals judges wrote that "we are unpersuaded that (Astacio) has genuinely accepted personal responsibility."

To the contrary, she continues to point to external factors and justifications as excuses for her behavior," the decision states.

Neither the Court of Appeals nor the Commission on Judicial Conduct considered Astacio's latest troubles — a felony charge that she tried to purchase a shotgun in violation of her probation terms. She has pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Had the Court of Appeals not removed Astacio, the commission would have had to launch an investigation into the alleged attempt to buy the shotgun.

“It is never a pleasant duty to remove a judge from office," Commission on Judicial Conduct Administrator Robert Tembeckjian said in a statement. "Where the misconduct is egregious, there is little choice, if public confidence in the administration of justice is to be preserved."

State Supreme Court Justice Craig Doran, the administrative judge for the region, said in a statement that for more than two years the Astacio case "dominated much of the public’s attention and conversation regarding our court system."

"This unfortunate distraction has not hindered the critically important work done on a daily basis, by the highly competent and caring judges, and dedicated court staff serving the people of this community," Doran said.
[....]
Astacio, a single mother, rose to the judgeship from a troubled background, largely putting herself through law school while raising her daughter. Some friends and colleagues in legal and judicial circles have been particularly struck by her fall, largely because they know how hard she pushed to make the strides she did.

Mayor Lovely Warren can now appoint an individual to the vacant City Court seat. That person would have to run for election in 2019.

Warren announced Tuesday that she would convene a screening committee, as has been done with past City Court vacancies. The committee will be led by city Corporation Counsel Tim Curtin, and include a community member, a retired judge, a practicing lawyer and representatives from the Greater Rochester Association of Women Attorneys and the Rochester Black Bar Association. The committee will solicit résumés, conduct interviews and forward three names to Warren for selection within 30 to 60 days of being empaneled, according to a city news release.

Astacio, a single mother, rose to the judgeship from a troubled background, largely putting herself through law school while raising her daughter. Some friends and colleagues in legal and judicial circles have been particularly struck by her fall, largely because they know how hard she pushed to make the strides she did.

And the only thing needed to complete the circle is the state bar kicking her to the curb, right back where she started from.

Maybe she'll play the race card now. She tried everything else.
She had it made, and blew it all by her own stupid behavior.

Reading about her inappropriate or unprofessional courtroom behavior makes me wonder how often she drove to work under the influence, or worked on the bench with a buzz on.

Last edited:
Normally i would be overjoyed at such a hearwarming conclusion, but i just googled the story and came across some images of the woman and now i gotta say, damn shame they treated her so harshly and now in my opinion(influenced heavily by her physical appearance), unfairly.

That's not even the best pic either.

This woman had a body on her and then some!

Shoulda let her off the hook.

Back